• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Animal Sightings

weird animals

Doing some research on Fraser Island the other day, I came upon a report and drawing of a sea monster, as reported by Selina Lovell, Fraser Islands first school mistress.She spotted the monster off Sandy Cape and it was reported in an English Journal.The huge long necked creature,midway between turtle,lizard and fish, became the talking point of scientists around the world.Miss Lovell was the sole teacher of the small school serving the light house community of Sandy Cape, she lived 1827-1905.Does anyone know what Journal this was published in.???????

weird animals

Being a very early riser I'm up before dawn.Usually after I turn on the irrigation I take my trusty 3 iron and get some golf practise on the cane toads.This morning I came upon a toad having sex with another.Not so strange except the recipient of the romantic affection was dead for 3 or 4 days.What a sex drive!!!They both sailed over the barbed wire fence still entangled.

Spook, your were-rabbit could well have been an escaped domestic: they can get easily twice the size of their wild counterparts.

wildman: Toads can get so enthuiastic in their love making, they actually crush the ribs of their mates and kill them. i used to work as a gardener in the grounds of a rather posh house, and for weeks after the mating season we'd be picking dead toads out the pond and off the patio. i'm surprised any lived to reproduce. maybe your randy cane toad couldn't find any left alive??

Slytherin said:
wildman: Toads can get so enthuiastic in their love making, they actually crush the ribs of their mates and kill them.

maybe your randy cane toad couldn't find any left alive??

I hate to be picky, but toads don't have ribs. They do often drown their mates, though. Often several males will try to grab the same female, and occasionally a big ball of toads will form, usually with one drowned female at the centre.

Male toads will grab and hang onto anything of about the right size. When they grab another male, he'll make a release call, and will usually be released as a result. When they grab an inanimate object, or a dead toad, there will be no release call, so they'll hang on until they get bored of it.

I've seen a couple of mixed frog/toad pairs in the past- in the UK they don't usually breed at the same time, so this isn't that common. Male frogs have very rough nuptial pads on their 'thumbs' (it helps to grip slimy female frogs) and this can cause quite nasty wounds on female toads.

Does anyone have any information about a creature that was dark blue and much larger than a bat?
Three people reported it gliding past them just as they entered the caves at Chapel-le-dale in the Yorkshire Dales.
:confused:

STAG PARTY

Once when traveling down a back road toward Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk I saw 8 HUGE bucks, (at least 2.5 metres high at the withers) no females at all..with full antlers (complete with hanging "velvet" and tree branches and leaves in between them) all prancing around a large empty field. It was strange considering we have mostly the small red deer around the area and this was near a large road leading to Thetford. Along with several other cars we pulled over and watched them for 10 mins or so until we got tired of them and we drove off. It was quite strange, you'd understand if you had seen it, we have never seen large bucks in the area like that since.

i saw a Badger trotting down the road outside my house, which was odd because i live in a city by hte sea. It must have walked down from hte cliffs pr s/thing. But it was very odd at the time.

Re: STAG PARTY

lindseyinstereo said:
Once when traveling down a back road toward Bury St. Edmunds in Suffolk I saw 8 HUGE bucks, (at least 2.5 metres high at the withers) no females at all..with full antlers (complete with hanging "velvet" and tree branches and leaves in between them) all prancing around a large empty field. It was strange considering we have mostly the small red deer

I think you mean that the Roe deer are the small ones!. What you saw was a "bachelor herd" of ,probably Reds ,possibly Fallows, as they were still in velvet , the rut had not started in earnest, they were "practising" for the coming rut, eg getting to know there own and the others strenghts and capabillities.And I know Fallows don't normally get this big but last rut I saw two huge bucks easilly this size.

Mischa said:
i saw a Badger trotting down the road outside my house, which was odd because i live in a city by hte sea. It must have walked down from hte cliffs pr s/thing. But it was very odd at the time.

When working at night, I very often see badgers in the town centre. On average two badgers and about six to eight foxes each night, the foxes I have even seen sitting on the pavment waiting for a gap in the trafic. But what really suprises me is that very few other people see them.Have mentioned before on another thread ,people go round with their eyes closed!.

I once saw a humming bird in a garden in Lancashire UK, and watched it for about 5 minutes. Probably escaped from a collection, I reckon. Well, definitely, I suppose...

I saw 8 HUGE bucks, (at least 2.5 metres high at the withers...

They were very strange animals then! :D 2.5m is larger than many elephants! Even the elk is only about 1.5m, and elk are around twice the size of red deer.

Desperado said:
I once saw a humming bird in a garden in Lancashire UK, and watched it for about 5 minutes. Probably escaped from a collection, I reckon. Well, definitely, I suppose...

They were very strange animals then! :D 2.5m is larger than many elephants!

First, possibly a Humming Bird Hawkmoth, I was confused the first time I saw one.

Second, 2.5 m is 7 1/2 foot, very small elephants!. A decent stag can reach that to the tips of it's antlers.:confused:

Michael Watson said:
First, possibly a Humming Bird Hawkmoth, I was confused the first time I saw one.

No, not one of these. I've seen a HHM before and this was definitely a bird, complete with a beak longer than its body (about 2.5 inches).

Second, 2.5 m is 7 1/2 foot, very small elephants!. A decent stag can reach that to the tips of it's antlers.:confused:

2.5m is actually 8ft 3in, and if you're standing next to something that is taller at the shoulder than the room you're sitting in, you wouldn't call it small. The point I'm making is simply that stags don't grow to a quarter this size. The only four-legged animals that attain such heights are elephants and giraffes and the like. I believe that even dray horses don't exceed 6 - 6.5ft.

Sorry but I was watching Fallow bucks during the rut last year,and these are totally wild animals, it takes a bit of "woodcraft" to get near them and I saw one that was at least7ft to the tips of his antlers when he was "prancing", the hinds stand well over a meter to the tops of there backs.Have you actually seen any wild deer? Not thinking of munjacs or suchlike are you?.

Re: Re: STAG PARTY

Michael Watson said:
I think you mean that the Roe deer are the small ones!

Ah. We are from the states and we call them "dog deer" because they are the size of labradors. ;)

Re: Re: Re: STAG PARTY

lindseyinstereo said:
Ah. We are from the states and we call them "dog deer" because they are the size of labradors. ;)

That would explain some of the confusion!Not sure where Desparado's getting his confusion from though?.
Hope you enjoyed your stay here, I certainly enjoyed the States,so much more helpfull and friendly than at home.

Which will now, as if by magic, reappear tacked on to the Weird Animal sighting thread :). Think you meant to reply there, rather than post a new thread.. glad you've enjoyed yourself here :yeay:.

Must admit I mix metric and imperial, weird animals....used to know a colony of common frogs (rana temporaria) that had a lot of orange coloured individuals in it, and they were'nt affected by the "red leg disease", they were a deffinate orange colour. Saw a little auk last summer ,when they should have all been up in Spitzbergen or some such place, apperently a record for Sussex. Pelican at one of the resevoiurs(sp) that I used to work at. A pure black falcon, unfortunally speices unknown (it was not a native bird, can recognise all them). A kestral that landed on my head as I was spin fishing on our local estuary, not a captive bird, no jesses or marks left by then, I saw it very close!!!!!! A grass snake that was at least 5ft long (not meant to get bigger than 3ft in this country).A water rail (small water bird) killing a sparrow. A kestral (again) killing a blackbird, thay normally kill only birds up to sparrow size, blackbird is almost their own weight, both last two in very cold conditions.Albino suirrels, ect ectwill stop now.

Desperado said:
One or two. I can see some out of the window as I'm writing this... :D

Sounds like you have your own Estate, am quite envious, what deer are they?, Muntjac, Roe, Fallow, Sika, Reds or hybrids?.

Wish I did! No, these were a long way away across the valley, just alongside some woodland. Couldn't say what type because of the distance, maybe fallow or red. I nearly ran three deer over last month, just strolling across the road as I turned the corner.

I occasionally see deer in the suburbs of Leeds. They follow the 'green corridors' along the becks and woods almost right into the centre! One dashed across my path last year on my way to work...
And there're colonies of rabbits living right in the centre, making warrens under the grass of traffic roundabouts!
I went for a walk near where I live last weekend and watched the Red kites soaring over...
Urban wildlife - love it!

Recently saw a red deer trotting down the road only a few feet from my car - not terribly oop, but I don't think they have reds in staffordshire, do they? poss escaped from venison farm?

Once nearly crashed my car at sight of three elephants in field by side of road. OK, was a circus, but still.

Hello,

I saw a werewolf once. I swear. I am not pulling your leg.
I was walking home from work. It was in the winter, so it was about 6pm and fairly dark. I used to take the train to the second to last stop and walk down this quiet street lined with double-decker houses.
So there I was, on this street. Nothing stirred. It was oddly quiet out. And I mean, NOONE WAS AROUND. No cars were coming down the street nothing.
I got halfway down the street and I felt like someone was following me, so I looked back, and nothing was there. I started walking FASTER!!!
When I got to the end of the street where there is this HUGE black and white house, with bushes so high, you can barely see the house, I saw that something was stirring in the bushes, because these HUGE bushes (more than six feet high), were bending and swaying, and there was NO wind!!!
So I got off the sidewalk and into the middle of the street and I heard this snarl. I was so scared that I grabbed my crucifix, that was on a gold chain around my neck, and I held it tightly in my hand.
When I got close to the bushes, that's when I saw it--mind you, the whole time, it was snarling and battling with the bushes and pieces of branches were everywhere--it was as tall as the bushes, and bulky like an elephant, but it had a humanoid shape to it, like through the bulk I could make out human calves and human forearms. It was a dark muddy color and it pulled the bushes apart and stuck it's head out to look at me, and it had a crocodile-like beak, but covered in hair. It just sort of stopped fighting the bushes and looked at me.
I was frozen.
Then out of nowhere a car came ambling my way, beeping for me to get off the street, so I jumped to the sidewalk on the other end and when I looked back for the creature I saw it turn and walk toward the house and my initial thought was that it was going to eat whoever lived there, but now that I think of it, that house was empty at the time.
When it walked away, it looked more like a man, but with a hunched back, and a face that jutted out so far it was impossible.
My heart was beating so hard, that in that cold weather I had to strip all my stuff off by the time I got home.
The funniest thing of all is that after that creature walked away, cars started coming down the street, the quiet ended and a few feet away was the square so there were hundreds of people there, so I felt reasonably safe till I got home.
I told my mother, who never believes me. My grandmother laughed at me. My sister told me that house was haunted. But noone believed my werewolf story. But it's true.

WW

There are any number of OOP animals here in the states. Some, like the Monk Parakeets of Chicago, are practically celebrities. Others are a bit more problematic.
I was at the target range in southern Wisconsin with some friends. We saw a coatimundi roaming aroundin the brush. The tail is unmistakeable. Officially, coatis don't get any further north than Arizona or New Mexico, making this fellow at least a thousand miles from home. I did talk to a bat biologist a couple years later who mentioned that he'd seen coati bones in a cave along the Mississippi River in Wisconsin. So who knows?
In the river bottoms in western Tennessee, hunters have reported monkeys for many years. The official line is that there are no monkeys in Tennessee, and that's that. Finally, about 5 years back, a hunter finally shot and killed one. He was very pleased to bring to the local fish and game check station and ask the game warden , if there were no monkeys around, then what the devil had he just shot?
Here in Florida, we have all kinds of beasties around. New Port Richey has flocks of budgies. A variety of cichlids inhabit many canals and lakes in the southern part of the state. Oscars, too. Feral monkeys, left over from the filming of Tarzan movies, have a colony near Ocala. It's becoming quite common to find boas and pythons roaming in the southern part of the state. A recent newspaper article claimed that a Tampa area snake catcher averages 2 of these a week. And finally, in the southwestern portion of the state, around Ft. Myers, there is now a viable population of Nile Monitors. As if we don't have a big enough problem with large, hungry reptiles.

When I was 12 I was up a tree in one of the big woods that lie around the north of Plymouth (Southway for anyone whos knows the area - and yes, paradoxically, it's north of the city).

I was deadly quiet, as I was taking part in an all-day hide & seek game with about 20 other kids, none of them were anywhere near me at the time.

So I was perched up in this tree, about 20 feet up, when I caught a movement on the track below me. There, timidly walking up the track was a silver fox - not grey, it was a beautiful silver colour, quite small, but not a cub, it seemed to be a different species.

I've not researched it at all, but I seem to recall that there are a few varieties of fox around the world. But how did one get to semi-rural Devon?

Quicksilver said:
So I was perched up in this tree, about 20 feet up, when I caught a movement on the track below me. There, timidly walking up the track was a silver fox - not grey, it was a beautiful silver colour, quite small, but not a cub, it seemed to be a different species.

I've not researched it at all, but I seem to recall that there are a few varieties of fox around the world. But how did one get to semi-rural Devon?

Sounds like a dark phase Arctic Fox.

During the winter of 1990/91 myself and a friend were working in Sheffield at night. This involved driving in some pretty severe weather conditions as that particular winter was one of the last “proper” winters we’ve had in the Peak District for years. (I always find it ironic that in those days before every bugger and his wife had a Chelsea Tractor most locals made do in far worse conditions with a shovel and two bags of something heavy in the boot). At night the roads were more or less completely deserted of traffic and we would see badgers and foxes regularly - even deer some nights, which aren’t that common in the Peak.

One morning at about 2am we were travelling along the A6 towards Buxton from the direction of Bakewell. The snow had stopped but we were driving very slowly as the road was more or less invisible. Between Ashford in the Water and Taddington the road winds for part of its way through a steep sided and heavily wooded valley and it was while driving through this that our headlights caught an animal that neither of us was familiar with. It was walking on the road and moving in the same direction as we were so we could only see its rear end but as we were driving slowly and it seemed completely unperturbed by the presence of our car we had a while to observe it. It was stockily built with short legs and a gait similar to that heads down, shoulder-rolling, hard-man walk that a badger has. In fact from the rear it was similar to a badger only heavier looking and with a slightly shaggy brown coat. After around half a minute the beastie turned to the left and disappeared into the trees.

For years I shelved this particular experience under “just one of those things” until I read an article recently suggesting that many of the traces left behind after attacks on livestock and at places where carrion had been scavenged were more reminiscent of wolverines than the big cats some people believe have left them.

I'm nowhere near sure enough to claim that I've actually seen a wolverine pottering along the A6 on a winters night but I have to say that on doing a little research the similarities to the animal I saw are remarkable. It also appears that wolverines would be far more suited to leading a sustainable existence in the wilder bits of Britain than most big cats.

I am familiar with the UK’s meagre stock of native mammals and all I can say is that the animal I saw wasn’t one of them. At the time we both thought the animal looked like a cross between a badger and a heavy-set dog, which frankly sounds more ridiculous than it being a wolverine. However the former option would give zoologists the task of deciding whether to call the hybrid a bog or a dodger - which has got to be worth a laugh or two.

There have been reports of wolverines in the UK, so you could well have seen one.

Wolverines

Wolverines i have seen do not walk in the matter described... they bound or lope. Narrower, longer, with a longer tail than a badger too.

also they coat their kill with musk so it should be pretty easy to determine if they killed something or not merely by smelling.

Back