• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Local Traditions

A

Anonymous

Us Brits seem to have cornered the market in odd local traditions. The classic example is cheese rolling where people jeopardise life and limb to chase a cheese down a hill.
Apparently, since we're bad at all other sports, you might be cheered to learn we're the best at black-pudding throwing.
My favourite, though, has to be gurning. The rules are simple: competitors put their heads through a horse collar and then have a set time in which to contort their faces into the most gruesome, scary or stupid expressions possible - possibly looking something like this. False teeth may be left in or taken out, or even turned upside down if desired. The winner is the person who gets the most audience applause. Supposedly it dates back to 1266 and is a feature of the Egremont crab fair.

So what is your weird local tradition, and how did it begin?

The tar barrel thing sounds familiar - I'll go and see if I can find anything...

Okay - one such event goes on at Ottery St. Mary Carnival in Devon on Nov. 5th - barrels are rolled and then carried until they disintergrate, as a test of strength. It's said such things ensure good luck and wards off evil. There's a similar event at Hatherleigh in Devon on the 12th of Nov.. Another similar event takes place on 31st December at Allendale (Northumberland), but in this case 'guisers' wear half-barrel 'hats' filled with 40 pounds of blazing tar...

[Edited once info was found]

They also do this at Ottery St. Mary (near Exeter) and it's a damn good evening!

Basically, teams from the village (usually pubs if memory serves) hare around with flaming barrels, passing them to each other, and the last team to carry the barrel before it disintegrates wins.

Considering there's thousands of people lining the streets watching them, injuries seem to be remarkably rare!

http://www.tarbarrels.co.uk/

Drunks pissing in stairwells and lifts in carparks and blocks of flats.

Sorry no links, but if you ever visit my part or Essex I'll be willing to take you to have a sniff!

Although popular all around Cornwall, Stargazy Pie was said to originate in the village of Mousehole, in the far south-west of the country. While being quite tasty, who was the first twit to bake a pie of herrings with the heads poking out of the crust? Couldn't he afford a big enough dish?

My flatmate comes from somewhere near Chester, and they have a thing around this time every year where two people dressed as St George and an arab run into pubs, St George "defeats" the arab, and everyone gives them money for beer. No idea what it's called, but I'm sure someone will know!

(Incidentally, Harry Potter fans, Ottery St Mary is the basis for the village of Ottery St Catchpole, where the Weasley family home is in the books. Ahem!)

Glasgow has Orange Marches.......

Less tolerated than when we first moved here 10 years ago. Then there were people clapping and waving as they went by. Now people stand and mutter about the inconvenience and how-dare-they-disrupt-the-traffic and whoh-pays-for-the-police and so on....

which is an improvement from my biased poiint of view!

Kath

mummers plays

The thing with st george and the Arab sound like mummers plays - thats what I think they're called anyway.

Its strange bits of folk and bible stories that are acted out by men of the village. In the village I went to in wiltshire some men who have lived in the village all their lives dress up in clothes made from wicker and straw and do strange incoherent morality plays that date from the middle ages sometime. Of course the pubs reward them for their efforts. If the pubs or houses they visit don't reward them with beer or food they take out instruments and make a loud noise and curse everybody in the area with peculiar and arcane curses.

By the end of the night they are usually so drunk they forget their words but it is taken so incredibly seriously that you daren't say anything for fear of being put in the wicker man.

This is a rather weak Elfin Safety story, but it includes traditions I'd not heard of before:
Grounded...college choir that has sung from the rooftops for 106 yearsBy ANDREW BUCKWELL Last updated at 00:48am on 11th May 2008

Every Ascension Day for over a century, visitors have flocked to St John's College, Cambridge, to hear its famous choir sing from the top of the Chapel Tower.

But this year, health and safety regulations have been blamed for keeping the choir firmly on the ground.

Instead of climbing the 163ft tower, the choristers had to lead the assembled crowds in their rendition of Hail The Day That Sees Him Rise from the lawn outside the Chapel on May 1.

The much-celebrated choir has been ascending the tower to celebrate Christ's ascension to Heaven by singing the Ascension Day Hymn at exactly midday since 1902.

Now it has started a heavenly row among college dons.

For the Dean of St John's, Dr Peter Linehan, the break with tradition was such a blow that he was moved to write an angry letter to a newspaper decrying "the custodians of our health and safety".

Other academics, however, have said it was simply caused by a hailstorm and that the tradition will be resumed next year. :roll:

Speaking to The Mail on Sunday, Dr Linehan fumed: "There are draconian rules now about having people up towers. This year was the first time since this very old custom was established that the choir has been on the lawns.

"It makes me sad. Health and safety concerns are increasingly intrusive.

"The view is taken now that the Government – or whoever legislates about these things – doesn't like the idea of choirboys being blown off the top of chapel towers, even though that's never happened before."

But other senior staff at the college, one of Cambridge University's wealthiest, were keen to play down the Dean's comments.

Rev Duncan Dormer, the Dean of the Chapel, said the decision for the choir to remain on the ground was taken purely because of the weather.

He said: "We had a brief hailstorm shortly before we were due to go up the tower, making the roof potentially dangerous. So unfortunately we weren't able to go up the tower. It has happened occasionally in the past."

Rev Grant Bayliss, the Chaplain, said: "The weather let us down. By the time it came to climb the tower, the top as like a swimming pool and it just wouldn't have been practical to go up there, so we all knew it wasn't going to happen.

"The ultimate decision was made by the building superintendent but we knew the outcome before he arrived. There are two narrow spiral staircases inside the tower, so it would have been lunacy to try to climb it.

"There have been other occasions where the weather has prevented us climbing the tower.

"It was a shame but we have every intention of going back up there next year and we hope the weather permits it."

When informed of these comments, Dr Linehan said: "If you've spoken to them and that's what they've said, then there's nothing more to add."

The St John's custom dates from 1902 and was begun because of a dispute between by the then Director of Music, Cyril Rootham, and physicist Sir Joseph Larmor.

Sir Joseph insisted that it was pointless singing from the tower as not a word of it would be heard down below, and that was a scientific fact.

Rootham was keen to prove him wrong and saw Ascension Day as the perfect time to do it.

Without telling anyone else in the college, Rootham ordered the choir to climb the tower and, as the clock finished striking noon, they started to sing an Ascension Day hymn.

To Rootham's delight, he saw a puzzled Sir Joseph fling open his window in the court below to see where the music was coming from. The event proved popular and has since become a yearly tradition.

To rub salt into Cambridge's wound over this year's debacle, Oxford, which has a very similar, and much older, tradition each May 1, on the same day saw a choir climb Magdalen College tower and sing their hymn undaunted. And in Latin

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

To rub salt into Cambridge's wound over this year's debacle, Oxford, which has a very similar, and much older, tradition each May 1, on the same day saw a choir climb Magdalen College tower and sing their hymn undaunted. And in Latin[/b][/size].

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/a ... ge_id=1770

In addition to this, it's traditional for students to jump off the Magdalen bridge into the river isis below, although, the past few years the bridge has been completely closed due to low water levels, and the resulting injuries that the jumping students sustained while carrying out this tradition.

Also on May the 1st, the pubs are open all night.

Morris and maypole dancing are still practised, but I don't think that's specific to Oxfordshire, as is the game "Aunt Sally".

We get a bit overexcited about November 5th in Lewes....

The town is famous for its annual Guy Fawkes Night celebrations on the 5th of November. In Lewes this event not only marks the date of the uncovering of the Gunpowder Plot in 1605, but also commemorates the memory of 17 Protestant martyrs who were burnt at the stake in the town during the Marian Persecutions of 1555–1557. The current celebrations take the form of a series of torchlit processions through the town. The event is organised by the local bonfire societies. Lewes itself currently has seven bonfire societies (Nevill Juveniles is a children's society and holds its celebrations a week or two before 5th November; Southover, which disbanded in 1985, reformed in 2005) and a number of nearby towns have their own bonfire societies. The other five local bonfire societies from the town (Cliffe, Borough, Commercial Square, South Street and Waterloo) each proceed on their own route accompanied by a number of other societies from the neighbouring towns.

Each bonfire society has its own traditional costumes (ranging from Tudor dress to Mongol warriors). A number of large effigies are drawn though the streets. Effigies of Guy Fawkes and Pope Paul V[1], who became head of the Roman Catholic Church in 1605, feature every year. In addition, each of the five main local societies creates a topical "tableau" (usually, but not always, representing a human figure or figures), and the Cliffe society displays on pikes the heads (also in effigy) of its current "Enemies of Bonfire", who range from nationally reviled figures to local officials who have attempted to place restrictions on the event. Restrictions are generally ignored by the Societies.

In 2001 an effigy of Osama bin Laden ensured that the annual event received more press attention than usual (it featured on the front page of some national newspapers) as did the Firle Bonfire Society's 2003 choice of a gypsy caravan. To mark the demise of the 17 martyrs, 17 burning crosses are carried through the town, and a wreath-laying ceremony occurs at the War Memorial in the centre of town. A flaming tar barrel is also thrown into the river Ouse; this is said to symbolise the throwing of the magistrates into the river after they read the Riot Act to the bonfire boys in 1847, but may also be an echo of Samhain traditions. The festivities culminate in five separate bonfire displays, where the effigies are destroyed by firework and flame. Up to 80,000 people have been known to attend this local spectacle, coming from all over the South and sometimes further afield.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewes

Check out this warning from Lewes Bonfire Council...

Although a great deal of effort is directed into the safety aspects of Lewes Bonfire Night, fire and fireworks remain potentially dangerous. All persons should carefully note that attendance at Lewes Bonfire Night will constitute volenti non fit injuria, that is to say you will be deemed to have accepted any risk of injury or damage whatsoever, and no claim in respect thereof will lie against the organiser.

http://www.lewesbonfirecouncil.org.uk/index.html

Near to where I live is the town of Atherstone where every Pancake tuesday they hold the Atherstone Football Game, this is a mediaeval custom having nothing to do with modern soccer; basically the towns main street is closed off and all the shop windows boarded up for the day while a large leather "football" (far larger than a standard modern league ball) is fought for (and I do mean fought for!) until 4 in the afternoon when the person possesing the ball is declared the winner. The police have tried to have this banned on many occasions but the local council (to their credit) have always stuck to their guns and supported this extremely ancient if somewhat disreputable custom!! (or as some would have it "alcohol fuelled riot"! just the kind of thing our PC masters would love to see tidied away) :_pished: good luck to the "footballers"!

Didn't they cover that on Blue Peter once?

Maybe not weird, but....

Lewes prepares to light up

3:10pm Tuesday 4th November 2008

By Simon Barrett »

Organisers of one of the biggest Guy Fawkes celebrations in the country are urging people from outside the town to stay away from the event.

Six bonfire societies have been preparing to take over the streets of Lewes tomorrow for the annual spectacular.

Up to 50,000 people are expected to pack the narrow streets of the town to watch the parades.

But non-residents are being discouraged from attending because of the lack of parking and crowded public transport.

Lewes Bonfire Council said it was “particularly unsuitable” for children, who could be frightened or get hurt.

Roger Meyer, secretary of the council, said: “Lewes is a very small town and we have always said the celebrations are by the people of Lewes for the people of Lewes.

“We know from many years’ experience that the larger the crowds, the more uncomfortable it can become for spectators, and we urge people from outside the town to celebrate in their own area.”

However, those pleas are likely to fall on deaf ears as thousands of people keen to experience the celebrations head to the town.

The first procession will start at 5.30pm and the last will end at about midnight.

The Grand United procession begins at 7.45pm.

Each society has a different tradition and hosts its own bonfire in a different part of Lewes.

The societies are themed according to their past, including the Commercial Square Society’s Red Indian theme. In the 1800s members went to America to work on the railways.

Towering effigies are also central to the celebrations.

They are constructed in secret throughout the year and controversy was sparked last year when a giant seagull emblem was burned as a statement on Brighton and Hove Albion’s plans for a stadium at Falmer.

The event will be policed by more than 400 officers drafted in from across the county.

It's my first Bonfire in Lewes! I can't wait!

http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/3816562.Lewes_prepares_to_light_up/

I'm going tomorrow. It's got a very weird atmosphere - a little too close to a nuremburg rally for my liking, but with f*cking firecrackers going off right next to your ears constantly, and banners proclaiming 'NO POPERY!'.

The joy of flexi time means I'm off to work now! 7.30 start means 3pm finish.

I intend to get a seat in the pub before it all kicks off at least.

In my family, we always put coins outside on New Year's Eve to guarantee prosperity in the coming year. I imagine it must come from some practice of leaving out offerings for the fairies or spirits.

I think it must be an old Cornish custom, but I haven't encountered another Cornish family who still does it.

Topically, up by me is Dunchurch near Rugby. Apart from the fact that Guy Fawkes' co-conspirators hung out in a local pub to see whether he'd done the terrible deed that was then called 5/11, Dick Turpin operated from the area.
AND there's a local tradition that before New Year the statue in the village square is traditionally garbed in the fancy dress of a cartoon or TV celeb.
Last year it was done up in a very nice ubersized Happy Feet penguin outfit.

Have just returned from Lewes - my friend took some photos so hopefully I'll have some up here.
There were far fewer people than last year, probably thanks to the horrible rain, but it was pretty cool.

Yep the rain put a lot of people off I reckon. I walked past the main Fire Site by the river on the way to work this morning....it's a bit of a state to say the least.

Mudbath!

StormMagic said:
In my family, we always put coins outside on New Year's Eve to guarantee prosperity in the coming year. I imagine it must come from some practice of leaving out offerings for the fairies or spirits.

I think it must be an old Cornish custom, but I haven't encountered another Cornish family who still does it.

Do you bring them in again on New Year's Day? I just wondered because of all the Scottish/Northern English customs about bringing money/food/fuel/booze into the house just after midnight (to ensure that you'll continue to bring them in all year). My first New Year with the OH, I sent him outside at a minute to midnight, holding, to his bafflement, a candle, a bottle of champagne and a loaf of bread. I then failed to hear midnight chime, and left him out there for quite some time. We are still together, mind.

Anyway, the idea as I've always understood it is that whatever you do at the start of the year, you will carry that on for the rest of the year, so it's a good idea to bring in food and money. Doesn't mean to say the fairies don't appreciate a new year tip, of course.

Yes, you bring it back in again in the morning and keep it for the year. I suppose it must be similar to first-footing, but I don't know anyone else who does it in my area so it must have mostly died out. :(

Back