• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

. . . and don't forget Salmon Gums in Western Australia!

Carole

Isn't there a guy involved with Buffy the Vampire Slayer whose name is either Wanker or Wankum, I've never been able to quite decipher ir.

And, as I think I mentioned on another thread, wasn't there an American Ice skater called Misty Hyman? :eek!!!!:

Not rude or anything, but shows parents don't think - first name is Philip, middle name is Ian. Not sure if it's true, but it is likely.

When we went to register our daughter Hattie Hope, the registrar said that they hadn't registered that name in the midlands for 40 years,she looked through their documents I find that odd, Hattie isn't such an unusual name is it??!!!:confused:

That was one of the names my sister had in mind for her baby if it was a girl , it is lovely . She had a boy and called him Stanley which I suppose it just as unusual these days !

I find it a shame that certain names are so rare now. My favourite - Irene, pronounced at its full value I - ree - nee

I wonder if songs affect the popularity of names? I imagine it could work both ways...

[warbles:]

"Goodnight, Irene, Goodnight Irene, I'll see you in my dreams..."

"La-la-la-la-LOLA"

"Ruby Tuesday"

"Lily the Pink"

etc etc!

Johnnyboy said:
"You foolish wanker!" Maybe our colonial chums think it's a cosy little Brit slang term like bloody, cripes, or I say chaps, that just isn't cricket!

I've noticed on the TV show "Angel" that Wesley has been saying wanker a lot.
The guy who plays him is half English half American (really disturbing to hear him speak merkin as it just sounds fake!!).
I have a suspicion that either he introduced the term without telling the writers what it meant, or the writers are a little more internationally-savvy than most US people and thought it'd be a good way of getting a "rude" word on TV.

Ok, I'm going to look at our records, I know there's some good names here...

Mr. R Wee
Mr Spink
Ms Allcock
Someone from Russia called Mr And And?

Mr Panayiotidis - sounds like a disease
A Hipkiss

There are millions...lunch hour just aint long enough...

pinkle

I might have posted this before . . .

Kylie Minogue is pretty weird. Sound like an excuse for going to the Dunny - "I'm just going to kylie me nogue," :D

carole said:
. . . and don't forget Salmon Gums in Western Australia!

Carole

Yes! And I left out Emu Bottom, too.

Further on the subject of people's names, my late mother managed a well-known restaurant in Edinburgh which was popular with theatre people. She sometimes spoke of one regular customer, an actor whom I grew up believing was called "Mr Fry Deggs". I mentioned him to her years later and she laughed, saying that that was just what she called him because that was all he would ever eat before a performance. Disillusioned, I asked her what his real name was. "Luke Sharp." She said.

Adrian Veidt said:
Isn't there a guy involved with Buffy the Vampire Slayer whose name is either Wanker or Wankum, I've never been able to quite decipher ir.

Thomas Wanker is on Buffy crew, just as David Mirkin is on The Simpsons'. This has been covered in the "Weird Names" thread, too.

I used to enjoy watching Nimrod Ping, the MP for Brighton, on local news broadcasts, who looked exactly as his name sounds. One of the most unusual names I heard was when I was working for a marketing firm and one of the customers was Mrs Minge.

I yesterday had a Danish contactperson called Bitsch.

"Hey Bitsch, come over here!"

Oh Lord.........

At work (large provincial hospital) this morning I was informed that, when one visits the local sperm bank, one reports to a Sister Cummings.

Did I mention the General Store called "Bugga" on Cheetham Hill?

Some fairly exotic types take photos of each other outside.

I noticed it the other night when I was well lubricated. But it stayed
tightly shut. :(

James Whitehead said:
Did I mention the General Store called "Bugga" on Cheetham Hill?

Some fairly exotic types take photos of each other outside.

I noticed it the other night when I was well lubricated. But it stayed
tightly shut. :(

We have a tv and radio shop in my area called cum vision, it's Asian owned so I guess it has some different meaning.

Working in various Government depts. i have come across the following wierd names all of which i have seen to be true.

Stamford Biggle
Annette Kirton
Wendy House
and Rosalind Sole which sounds okay until you think what her signature must be.... Miss R Sole.

Placenames:

Shellow Bowells - somewhere in the home counties
Wyre Piddle and Upton Snodsbury - both Worcestershire.

A good man to have around when cleaning the pipes.

My Dad used to come into contact with people who in order to avoid their dodgy name came up with some interesting custom-built pronounciations.

Phonetically, there was a Mr. "Siddy-butt-om", or Mr. Sidebottom as normal people might say, and a Mrs. "Own-irons", or Mrs. Onions to you and me. And it wasn't Mrs. Death, it was Mrs. "Day-ath".

Dark Detective said:
And it wasn't Mrs. Death, it was Mrs. "Day-ath".
They usually spell it with an apostrophe - De'ath.

I used to know a lecturer called De'ath, and I've heard of a few others.

My boyfriend currently works with a man named Christopher Bacon and his middle name is Peter.

Chris P Bacon: Did his parents actually think about this when they named him??

I have just read that Paul Getty Jr's youngest daughter is named Tara Gabriel Galaxy Gramaphone Getty.

What is it about the rich and famous and the names they give their children?

I always quite liked the name Moon Unit.

Gramaphone just sounds like they ran out of ideas and looked around the front room for inspiration.

The mind boggles. Tracy Fruit-bowl Aquarium Word-Processor Smith.

Spook said:
The mind boggles. Tracy Fruit-bowl Aquarium Word-Processor Smith.

... and from the Loony Party, we have...

TVgeek
- with apologies to all Monty Python fans everywhere

parental insensitivity

When I lived in San Franciso, I met an 8-year-old named Ramses, and 12-year-old named Pandora Galaxy. The 12-year-old changed her name as soon as legally possible.

What are these parents thinking about?

Back