• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

I found two great names at work this week
James Posthumus Moses Miller
and
Belcher Penfold.
Why would you call an innocent baby "Belcher"? What's his brother called, Farter?

Spook said:
I have just read that Paul Getty Jr's youngest daughter is named Tara Gabriel Galaxy Gramaphone Getty.

What is it about the rich and famous and the names they give their children?

They are all on some serious drugs.

I work in a Steel Mill, and one of our foremen was called "Peter Hole", he signed his name..."P Hole".

One of my fellow workers has dated a girl with the phallic name..."Bonny Thistle"...I wonder whose idea that was, the mothers or the fathers....

I just had to add a few I've come across as a gov't worker:

Ima Pheasant (her mailing label had a little picture of a pheasant on it)
Luscious Peter (I believe this wasn't his birth name, but something he willfingly changed it to)

There was a story in the paper last year about a lady whose kids had been left at home alone for 2 days while she was out on a drinking binge. They listed the children's names in the article--Chablis (age 11), Burgandy (age 7) and Champagne (age 4). I ask you...

On the kangaroo question--whether it's a real name or a mistranslation from the natives--according to Heuvelmans, whom I'm just now reading, it's a "complete fabrication." He says the native name for the animal is ganguru.

And let's not forget those two Southern tv presenters from the 80's

Chris Peacock (Crispy Cock)
and
Mike Rowbottom (Micro Bottom)

I've come across the Arabic name Mustafawi (must 'ave a wee!), although it's really pronounced with the emphasis on the second 'a'.

Carole

I worked in a mail-order department, and I assume these are true as they must have paid by credit card with the same name on? I can't say I saw them personally but my boyfriend sent stuff to them and swears they are true.

Silke Panz
Randy Workman
I R Ichianus
Paul Mycock

I do apologise. But they caused heaps of amusement at the time.

Be a media whore for a year for almost no money?!! Where do

This is almost worse that the people who tattooed the name of that Taco restaurant on themselves in order to get a free meal there once a week.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/industry/08/13/human.branding.ap/index.html

Forfeit your identity, sell a video game
Winners must legally change name to Turok
August 13, 2002 Posted: 12:47 PM EDT (1647 GMT)

LONDON, England (AP) -- Wanted: Adventurous video game fans willing to change their identities. Must be willing to live for a year as dinosaur hunter called Turok.

Hoping to push back the frontiers of advertising, a British marketing firm said Monday it would pay nearly $800 each to five people for the right to transform them into human billboards for a fantasy superhero.

Acclaim UK is seeking applicants who will legally change their names for one year to promote the latest installment of its video game series about Turok, a time-traveling American Indian who slays bionically enhanced dinosaurs.

The Institute of Science in Marketing, a business group supporting the effort, expects its so-called Identity Marketing technique will catch on as the next big thing for companies eager to reach consumers dulled to conventional advertising.

"It's not a gimmick ... Every form of their identity will have to change for this to work," said Acclaim spokesman Andrew Bloch. "They'll be walking, talking, living, breathing advertisements."

In a similar example, two years ago, a Kansas couple were paid $5,000 by the Internet Underground Music Archive, a Web site, for naming their baby boy Iuma.

Acclaim UK, whose parent company Acclaim Entertainment is based in Glen Cove, New York, is launching a Web site where would-be Turoks can apply. The company will cover the costs each winner incurs in changing his or her name, to be done in a legally binding process called a deed poll.

In addition, winners will received a computer game console, as many video games as they can play and 500 pounds ($785), Bloch said. He called the payment a token sum because anyone willing to become a human billboard "won't be doing it for the hard cash."

The plan grew from a perceived need to surmount the daily white noise of advertising with something unique. Acclaim hopes each new "Turok" will act as an ambassador for the game, taking time to explain the origin of his or her name to anyone who asks.

"The video games industry has a habit of always striving for newer and more unique ways of targeting customers, and with Identity Marketing I think we've topped the lot," said Acclaim spokesman Shaun White.

Bloch described the original Turok as big and good-looking. "You'd be quite proud to call yourself Turok if you knew who he was," he said.

The firm's target audience ranges from teen-agers to Turok enthusiasts in their 40s. It expects that the first five Turoks -- others may come later -- will be socially active and may even work in the video games business.

Acclaim said it would help successful applicants obtain a second deed poll to revert to their original names after a year.

I think it's quite interesting that they're hardly offering any money for this.
If they offered me a million pounds, well, I might consider it. But £500? it's a bit mad really. But then again, people PAY companies to wear their tacky ill-fitting overly expensive 'labelled' clothes. And that's fairly mad.
I even saw some sad prat on tv (from america) who had had a nike tick tattooed on his leg. He clearly didn't realise that this made him look like a brainless muppet, or that he was proclaiming forever his support of a company that uses basically child slave labour in producing its clothes and shoes.

modern society eh? as I overheard an old bloke say to his wife on the way home last night (about something or other) "It's all bloody WRONG!" :)

Why not just name him "Please Kick My Ass?"

http://wcco.com/water/StoryFolder/story_733697608_html

Baby Osama, Germany Says Not Here
Couple Denied Right To Name Baby Osama Bin Laden

Sep 5, 2002 2:58 pm US/Central

(AP)-(BERLIN)-German authorities have denied a Turkish couple's request to name their newborn son Osama bin Laden, a court spokeswoman said Thursday.

"Osama bin laden is a great man," the baby's father, Mehmet Cengiz, an unemployed truck driver, told Germany's RTL television. "He's a good man for his people, for my culture."

German laws make it illegal for parents to give their children names that might dishonor them or harm their dignity.

"That could be the case with this name," Birgit Neepmann, a spokeswoman for the district court in Cologne, said of the parents' wish to name the boy for the alleged mastermind of the Sept. 11 attacks.

City registrars rejected the name, and the parents of the child, who was born in July, took their case to the district court. If it is rejected there, they can still appeal.

German law allows foreign names if they are accepted in the family's home country, "but this one couldn't be registered in Turkey either," Neepmann said.

UN BE LE VA BLE

What a bunch of stupid jack-ass idiot freaky dolts from some other dimention in a sewer plant of complete smelly chocking froth!!!:eek!!!!:

Given the efficiency of the US military, I think the parents might find their house surrounded by "special forces" insisting that Osama give himself up to be brought basck to america for trial.

Re: UN BE LE VA BLE

ruffready said:
What a bunch of stupid jack-ass idiot freaky dolts from some other dimention in a sewer plant of complete smelly chocking froth!!!:eek!!!!:

Welcome to europe, leave your dignity at the door....:rolleyes:

why than you !! OLL

LOL---LOL: mAN!!! THEY OUGHT JERK THAT KID AWAY WHILE THEY CAN:eek:

I wonder if the parents' second choice is David Hasselhoff?

intaglio said:
Given the efficiency of the US military, I think the parents might find their house surrounded by "special forces"

nah. A semi in Milton Keynes would find itself surrounded by US Special Forces.

a regiment of Royal Marines would wander around the Central Massif unsuccessfully looking for Kebab shops

and 14 Polish Policeman at a wedding partywould be killed in a Friendly Fire incident when National Guardsmen mistook them for tanks

Given the efficiency of the US military, I think the parents might find their house surrounded by "special forces" insisting that Osama give himself up to be brought basck to america for trial.
you can imagine the interrogation

1st Soldier: Whens he gonna talk?
2nd Soldier: 4 years time

BBC news today revealed new calculations (by the Ordnance Survey) of the centre points (ie, centre of gravity of land area) of the UK, GB, England, Scotland, Wales and N.I.

The centre of England is in farmland some miles from what was previously considered England's centre. They interviewed the farm owner, who was a Mrs. Farmer...

Well, it made me smile!

My dad actually did go to school with a bloke called Phil McCafferty...

(say it quick if you don't get it)

My little sister used to baby-sit for the Bumms. Her name was Phyllis. Phyllis Bumm.

I see far too much of Ben Dover and Phil McCavity. They are the two
virtual kids you can guarantee will be present, if you send around a
register for the class to sign. :eek:

Well, I can assure you that Jeff and Phyllis Bumm (or maybe it was spelled Bumb? but it was definitely pronounced BUM) lived 4 doors down and my sister babysat for their kids.

I just never realized until now what it sounds like to say her name out loud.

I had just finished tittering over this thread, turned the TV on and there on the Belgian channel was a woman called Christel Dycks!!

There is also a metro station in Brussels called Kunst-Wet, well it always makes me laugh!!!

My understanding was that most Medieval towns had a gropec*nt lane, later renamed to grape lane. As the name suggests these were red light districts.

One Summer 4 years ago I took an 8 week job at a telesales company to subsidise my Euro trip.

Once I had to call a Mr Treblecock.
Another time a woman whose entire name on the database was "Ng". She had a foreign accent and got really angry that I didn't pronounce her name properly!

To stave off boredom during calls, naturally we all laughed and joked around. We had no control over who and when the calls were made because it was auto-dialling. One day the discussion was about Sesame Street. After laughing at a colleagues impersonation of the Cookie Monster, 5 seconds later I was horrified to find myself connected to a Mr Grover. And everyone else peeing themselves with laughter isn't exactly good for one's telephone manner and I had to hang up on the poor man.
There was also a customer called Hardy Hole, who I think heard the person next to me proclaim: "Hardy F*******-Ha."
Other colleagues had:
Miss Spernk (French, perhaps?)
T Watts
Jack Bodger

Foreign names were the worst. As the customers name only flashed on the screen once the call was connected, we literally had one second to read and pronounce the name properly. One male colleague had a conversation like this:
"Hello, is that Mrs Baliamanaisuperamaniam?"
"Yes, this is Mrs Baliamanaisuperamaniam. What do you want?"
"Oh nothing. It doesn't matter."

I know a guy through work who is called Justin Casey, never realised there was anything weird about it until a colleague started pissing himself.

In terms of comedy rude names, the only verifiable one that I have come across is Ray Pincock, ooh did we chuckle.

Back