• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Personal Names

A few good names here,

funny-unfortunate-names-157-58a172c572102__605.jpg

funny-unfortunate-names-127-589c9145006d7__605.jpg

funny-unfortunate-names-100-589c673926bb7__605.jpg

funny-unfortunate-names-122-589c8302a226a__605.jpg

funny-unfortunate-names-69-589c385fbfa76__605.jpg

funny-unfortunate-names-138-589db81edae0a__605.jpg

https://www.boredpanda.com/funny-un...oogle&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=organic

Amongst other issues, when GB News launched recently, they were proud of their 'involve the audience' schtick, by reading out peoples emails etc.
Unfortunately they were not sensible enough to screen the full names of the people writing in to them for the first week or two, but once they twigged that they were reading out all sorts of 'dodgy' names they decided to only use peoples first names.

Prank names
Perhaps the biggest and most consistent gaffe that has befallen GB News is a Simpsons-like gag of people using fake names as crude puns. You can imagine this sort of thing happens all the time but GB News has fallen foul to names including Mike Hunt, Mike Oxlong, Hugh Janus and Cleo Torez. Oh dear...

indy100.com/news/gb-news-fails-andrew-neil-b1867934

Probably. I asked and my daughter said she was told that "all good things happen on Tuesday after lunch". Her parents were hippies (about 3 decades late)
But surely it's pretty pointless giving any child a really long name like that? Since she is going to be known as 'Tue' to absolutely EVERYBODY, or, at most 'Tuesday' (which isn't really THAT 'out there'). The rest of the name is only going to be used on forms and for offical documentation, so if she really dislikes it she never even needs to tell anyone.

I have a friend who's female, but has the surname 'Tom' and a first name which is traditionally a male name. Causes no end of confusion, I tell you. Half the world thinks she's male and her first name is Tom, the other half thinks she's male and doesn't HAVE a surname, just two first names...

But surely it's pretty pointless giving any child a really long name like that? Since she is going to be known as 'Tue' to absolutely EVERYBODY, or, at most 'Tuesday' (which isn't really THAT 'out there'). The rest of the name is only going to be used on forms and for offical documentation, so if she really dislikes it she never even needs to tell anyone.

I have a friend who's female, but has the surname 'Tom' and a first name which is traditionally a male name. Causes no end of confusion, I tell you. Half the world thinks she's male and her first name is Tom, the other half thinks she's male and doesn't HAVE a surname, just two first names...
At graduation they called her name as "Tuesday A.L. ..." (can't remember her last name and should not post that anyway. So she is just a woman who has two middle initials.

I know exactly how she feels. It's like naming your son Leslie or Marion. My mother's older sister was named after a ranch hand (a man) called Shirley. When she was old enough she insisted everyone call her by her middle name, not because of the ranch hand, but because she hates the name Shirley. It doesn't suit her anyway.

I know exactly how she feels. It's like naming your son Leslie or Marion. My mother's older sister was named after a ranch hand (a man) called Shirley. When she was old enough she insisted everyone call her by her middle name, not because of the ranch hand, but because she hates the name Shirley. It doesn't suit her anyway.

But loads of people hate their names. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the name, per se, just that the namee doesn't like it.

Around here, loads of people seem to be giving birth to their great grandparents. There's little, Ava, Ada, Nellie, Archie, etc etc. I wonder what those children will think of their names later in life? I was particularly o_O about Nellie.... She's currently a couple of weeks old, but I'd be willing to bet she's dropped down to 'Ellie' by the time she's sixteen.

Around here, loads of people seem to be giving birth to their great grandparents. There's little, Ava, Ada, Nellie, Archie, etc etc. I wonder what those children will think of their names later in life?

l recall visiting an old person in a geriatric ward, looking round at the names over the beds - Sid, Doris, Percy, Doreen - and sniggering about the equivalent wards of the future: Coolio, Chardonnay

maximus otter

When I was growing up I always hated my name.
I always wanted to be called 'Sean' because I liked Sean Connery in James Bond films.
Throughout my life, though, most of the people I have met called Sean are dicks.

When I was growing up I always hated my name.
I always wanted to be called 'Sean' because I liked Sean Connery in James Bond films.
Throughout my life, though, most of the people I have met called Sean are dicks.
That would explain this T Shirt then

ablacktshirtSEAN.png

I am unable to elaborate on the proposed sentiment
I haven't had so much trouble with Seans .. I'm willing to take a few off you in exchange for some people called Graham or Lucy though. They've all been absolute twats apart from one Lucy.

I have only ever known a few people called Lucy.
As far as I can remember they all had extremely large........er......hands.....yes....large hands.... :wink2:

I haven't had so much trouble with Seans .. I'm willing to take a few off you in exchange for some people called Graham or Lucy though. They've all been absolute twats apart from one Lucy.
Reminds me of a radio segment, I think by Chris Moyles, called 'all Emma's are evil'

Reminds me of a radio segment, I think by Chris Moyles, called 'all Emma's are evil'
I only know one Emma and she's a bit of a dick as well. The Mrs doesn't like her either but I'm polite to her. She got made up to store manager and seems to have decided 'serving customers' is beneath her now so her shop can be rammed with customers waiting to be served and only one member of staff serving but she doesn't do serving customers anymore so we all get ignored.

Should be 'Most Seans are dicks'.

Or maybe 'Most Seans are Dick's'? If they were gay, anyway.

The worst Seáns are those who discover an Irish ancestry several generations back and change their names from John/Jon/Jack to Seán.

Bloody Plastic Paddys!

The worst Seáns are those who discover an Irish ancestry several generations back and change their names from John/Jon/Jack to Seán.

Bloody Plastic Paddys!
And then they go on endlessly about being descended from the great kings of ancient Ireland!

Trying to deprive me of my rightful claim to being the true High King of Ireland!

Here's a comment I posted in 2015:

In my Civil Service days the SecGen sent me down a letter (marked do not dignify this with a response) from a guy in the US who regarded himself as the rightful High KIng of Ireland. He'd even had a crown made. Naturally he had served in 'Nam with he 101st Airborne. How come these guys always serve in elite units? Never the 27th Mississippi shitkickers.

But loads of people hate their names. It doesn't mean there's anything wrong with the name, per se, just that the namee doesn't like it.

Around here, loads of people seem to be giving birth to their great grandparents. There's little, Ava, Ada, Nellie, Archie, etc etc. I wonder what those children will think of their names later in life? I was particularly o_O about Nellie.... She's currently a couple of weeks old, but I'd be willing to bet she's dropped down to 'Ellie' by the time she's sixteen.
What's wrong with Nellie? My niece was named Donella and we called her Nellie Blye. When she was very young (maybe three) she told me "My name is not Nellie Blye, it is Donella Blye". I love 3 year olds.

Bloody Plastic Paddys!
I reckon that half the population of Australia believe that they are Irish/Scots/Welsh, rather than just plain old Aussies.

Did you know Sean Bean was actually christened Shaun Bean?

He's been toying with us all along.
So what is the difference between Sean, Shaun & Shawn? (I have an idea about Shawn, americnaization of Sean?)

Speaking of which, my uneducated sister in law named her son Shawn and one day she came back from the pediatricians angry because the spelled his name wrong. She said, "His name is Shawn, but they wrote down 'Seee an - S E A N' on the chart." :hahazebs: I was the only one around (none in her family knew) who could explain why they made that mistake.

Back