• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Phone Calls From Unknown Lover

Plusk, you must be very brave. I think I would have had a heart attack.

In my last house we used to get loads of calls for this bloke with an Arab name, can't remember what, some of which sounded like international calls. I felt kind of sorry for those people, as they were probably his family of friends or something and he'd changed numbers without telling them.

This is a bit odd, but probably unrelated.

I work in tech support and I was reading this thread when somebody came back with a problem. Apparently the image on the monitor flipped 90 degrees. I tracked it down to a setting on the video card, but cannot figure out how it happened spontaneously.

Never take the client's word that something "just happened"; they only ever tell you about 40% of the whole story. 8)

Leaferne said:
Never take the client's word that something "just happened"; they only ever tell you about 40% of the whole story. 8)

Or "it was like that when I got it". In one case someone I work with made that claim about a brand new and very expensive laptop with a smashed screen, he'd left a bunch of keys on the keyboard and closed the lid OW!

Leaferne said:

I don't usually, but there were witnesses. And the setting was buried pretty deep.

As seems to be a bit of a theme for this thread...
2 Years ago when i moned to a new house, we began getting annoying calls, it was a new number (we had been messed around by BT for over a month whilst they gave us one number after another etc) the phone would ring, when answered we would get an electronic beep quite high pitched that lasted approx 2 sec followed by 2 second silence.
This at some times would happen approx ten past every hour, other times just a few times a day. Sometimes it would stop for a while and then start again in the early hours a couple of times an hour.
Needless to say very annoying.
It was usually a withheld number but I once got an 0151 no (is this Liverpool?)
Anyway to the point.
I moved away from that house well over a year ago. I read this thread on Wednesday night, got to work Thurday morning, as I sat at my desk the phone rang....
It was the same bloody beeping from over a year before:shock: . I hung up did 1471 and it had been withheld, it happened one more time 1 minute later. Weird
Ta x

That's a fax signal, Romieh. Most faxes are set up to re-dial if they can't send the fax, anywhere from ten to infinite re-tries. Most offices I've been in only had one fax, so they'd put it in a central location where everyone had equal access, which often means that it's not particularly easy to monitor - my present office, for example, has it in the file room. So most people put in the number and walk off, and if half an hour later someone realizes the fax is still dialling, they'll think to stop the machine and put in the number fresh.

It is very, very annoying to be called by a fax. When this happens at my current office, we can conference call the fax machine and hang up while the fax comes through. Usually what's happened is someone's gotten our fax and telephone number mixed up, so the fax is intended for us anyway. If you get such a call at home, it's probably a straightforward wrong number, and the only things you can do are take the phone off the hook for awhile or yell into the mouthpiece hoping someone is close enough to hear (fax lines will carry voices).

I recently had a phone call that I couldn't answer when I pressed 1471 the number was 01234, intrigued I tried to ring it on my mobile and it wasn't recognised, so I tried to ring it on the land line that had received the call and there was total silence. :?

01234 is the perfectly unsinister code for Bedford, should that put your mind at rest slightly.

yes but that was the entire number given, no 01234 ****** just 01234 and when I pressed 14713 to redial the calling number it was just dead silence :?

I wondered if anyone has received a very strange call or answering machine message (mine was in January, I think, of this yr) of lots of clicking and what can only describe as glibbering with an oldish well-spoken man’s voice in the background. It sounded to me like a dentists surgery, no drills, but another voice saying ‘ahhh’, the man’s voice was very muffled, but one word was clearer: ‘systematic’, I think there was also another word I recognised, but nothing connected. It sounded a bit like the man was reading or dictating notes and tapping a pen loudly to someone and kind of bizarre that it was recorded. The strange thing also was that the power had gone off the night before, and come back on a few minutes later, followed by the bt answering machine/phone combo proclaiming it’s usual date and time and ‘Answering machine on’. I don’t know what time the message was left as the answering machine had reset its timer when the power went off, all I know is it was before 3-4pm when I listened to the message, it would be interesting to find out if the message was left just after the power cut, and was some sort of strange test message. I only wish I’d worked out the time of the message from the phone timer and recorded it! I remember thinking the message was bizarre and somehow futuristic.

Two stories - a short one and a long one (If you only read one, read the long one, it;s better)

ONE

I used to get wierd messages left on my mobile, in Italian - a family talking (young voices, 20's to 40's voices and older voices, all having a conversation). I got about one a week for around a month, none for a month or two, then one day five in the space of an hour.

On the day I got the five, I was going to meet a friend with Italian parents, so I played him the messages and he said that only certain words were in Italian (he was brought up speaking both Italian and English), he thought they were speaking a mixture of Italian, Spanish and another language he didn't recognise - but all in the same sentence.

He said that from the italian words he could make out, it sounded like an ordinary conversation, nothing of consequence being said.

TWO

One night, my wife recieved a text message, wherein the sender apologised for being late, and that while the sender was on his way, he didn't want to make the wrong impression.

This surprised both of us, as we were sitting in bed watching a movie at the time.

She didn't reply, but about half an hour later she recieved another message from the same number, this time saying that he was right outside, and she should be seeing him as she reads the message.

We both went to the window, but as we expected there was no-one there.

Later, at around 3am, she recieved yet another message from the same number, saying "Thanks for the great night, I'd never been on a blind date before and I really enjoyed seeing you. I hope you didn't get the wrong impression of me, being late and all, l would like it if we could see each other again?"

Aww! A first date! Although obviously this idiot had gotten her number wrong :)

Two days pass, and while she's at work, my wife gets another message - "Chrissie, I really enjoyed our date and would like to see you again - please text me back. Joe" [I can't remember the actual names, but bear with me].

Two more days pass, and while we are out with friends, my wife gets another message - "Chrissie, Hi! It's Joe again, why won;t you send me a text back, I thought we had a great time - please text me back, even if it's to say you don't want to see me."

Poor guy! My wife really wanted to text him a message, but me, being evil (her words), wanted to see how far it would go (it's the Anthropologist in me, I swear :) ).

I was on tenterhooks waiting for the next message - this was entertaining stuff! My firends and I were having whole conversations on Joe and Chrissie - who they were, what they did, what they looked like - it was like our own personal little Truman Show!

A week goes by, we're sitting down to dinner, she gets a message. "Hi Chrissie, It's Joe again, I guess you don't want to see me again, so this is the last time I'll bother you. I thought we could have had something special. Joe"

A sad story. But the idiot hadn't bothered to get Chrissie's number right, so it's his own fault - by this point my wife really wanted to put the guy out of his misery, but I had other ideas - if she did, he might feel even worse - we've been privvy to his thoughts and feelings on this woman, delving into this guy's psyche - two weeks we had waited to tell him - what would that do to him?!! I have to say, I entertained the notion of actually telephoning him to tell him one-to-one just to hear his voice when he found out (man, I am such a bastard!), but couldn't bring myself to do it.

The story, however, doesn't end there.

About two months later, my wife was out with friends. I needed to phone her to make sure she had taken her keys, as I was going out too.

I dialled her mobile number -

"Hello?"
"It's me, have you got your keys?"
"Who's this?"
I realise that the woman on the other end of the phone is speaking with an English accent.
"Sorry, I must have dialled a wrong number"
"Okay, no worries. Bye!"
"Bye!"

I dial again, and get through to my wife (she had her keys in her bag).

The next day, she's out shopping with her Mum. Again, I'm going out, so I phone to see if she's got her keys.

"Hello"
I don't recognise the voice.
"Fiona?"
"No, Chrissie."

OH... MY... STARS....

About a million thoughts raced through my brain - mainly 'Ask her about Joe, ask her about Joe - ASK HER ABOUT JOE!!!!'

She spoke first

"Did you call me yesterday?"
"Um, yes - I must have misdialled my wife's number!"
"Okay. Well, bye then."

I now knew what I had done wrong - my wife's number and Chrissie's number were exactly the same, only the two middle numbers were switched around.

I realised something.

I now had both Chrissie and Joe's phone number. I held their romantic destiny in my hands. I could re-unite these potential soul-mates, or I could keep them apart forever.

I felt LIKE A GOD!!!

I meditated on this for quite a few hours, drunk with the power in my hands.

Then I decided - Ah, best leave it.

Why he's got no obligation to help someone who didn't get their phone numbers right. Also I believe that Crissie didn't want to see Joe again anyway or she could have called HIM.
Also after Creamstick telling her that he dialled the wrong number she could have [if she was clever] figured out that this might have been what Joe did and that he got her number wrong.
Either way if they really hit it off they would have tried harder. So Creamstick probably saved them both a lot of time and heartache.

:twisted:

That's hilarious!

There's been a few times when I've got text messages or answering machine messages that look like something really important that's been accidentally sent to the wrong number. I've always assumed they're a scam to get you to ring a premium rate number or something. I wonder how many lives I've ruined...

But I agree. If they'd really liked each other that much she would have called him. And surely he would have realised on the date that she hadn't got any of the texts he'd sent? Also I suppose they must have had mutual friends set them up on this blind date so one way or another they'll get together if it's meant to be.

Funnily enough, I got one of these messages on my answerphone last night: 'please can you call the office as soon as possible' - followed by an unfamiliar number beginning 07012.

It was a mans voice and sounded like a recording. I work with all females so knew it wasn't from my office. I assume I would have been charged loads of money if I had rung it!
Anyone know that pre-fix?

A weird thing about some of the messages i get is that they seem to get recorded straight on the answering service without the phone ever ringing.

I seem to remember that one of the messages I got started with the prefix 070 something. I tried checking at the time what it meant but Icstis (or whatever they're called) said it wasn't a valid code, so it remains a mystery to me.

I've had a few messages from estate agents on my mobile phone, asking if there was a problem as I'd not got back to them regarding the viewing or whatever. On one occasion, I actually looked up the number of the agent in question (in Dorset IIRC) and rang them to point out that they had the wrong number. It was a genuine number, and they thanked me for pointing out the mistake, but I still got the occasional voicemail after that to say that they had a property that I might be interested in.

Spookily, even though it was clearly a case of a mobile number being written down wrongly (I'm probably only one digit different from someone who was looking for a house in Bournemouth), they got my surname right. Not that my name's that unusual or anything, but maybe this is one for the "coincidences" thread as well. Sadly, I've since changed my handset, so the messages and the name of the estate agents are long gone.

We once had an old woman ringing us for an ambulance at 3 a.m.. Quite why she wanted us to help, or how she found her number I don't know!

The one odd experience with a phone number I can recall at the moment happened last year. I had just gotten out of a class and was headed back to the bus when I started to check the messages on my mobile. My answering message went something like this: "Hi, this is Taty, leave me a message and tell me what your three favorite songs are. Have a great day." I always have random messages. Anyhow, so I'm listening to this one message left, and it's this older black guy's voice, and it says, "Hey darling, my three favorite songs are 'I Think About Sex All Day,' 'I Really Want Sex Now,' and 'I Want to Have Sex With You Tonight.'" I was stunned, because no one had ever gotten my number wrong before and I played it again to see if I knew who this could be, but I didn't. So, while it was probably some guy getting the wrong number of his girlfriend, hopefully, I was worried that I might get another call from this man and have to start looking out for myself more. But, it never happened again. I played it for all of my friends though and they cracked up laughing.

Now, onto this quote:

starflook said:

I work in tech support and I was reading this thread when somebody came back with a problem. Apparently the image on the monitor flipped 90 degrees. I tracked it down to a setting on the video card, but cannot figure out how it happened spontaneously.

This exact thing happened to me last year as well. I was on my computer just playing on the net when all of a sudden the screen went black for about one second, and then it came back on, and everything was turned 90 degrees to the left. I didn't know what happened and I couldn't fix it, being technologically unsavy, and so I had to use my computer with my head slanted, which gave me a series of sore necks. A couple of weeks later, as I had gotten used to this odd arrangement, the screen went black again, and returned to normal. I, and my neck, was quite thankful for that.

Years ago, where I used to live, I called my friend Paul, who was one of the first people I knew to go onto a cable line. The person who answered said "Hello ****** [my name] how are you? Paul doesn't live here anymore and his number is this....". Obviously I completely freaked out because I'd dialled the wrong number and weirdly the person on the other end knew who I was.

What had happened was I'd dialled Paul's number and mistaken a 3 for a 5 and in doing so accidently dialled his sister's house, who he used to live with. His brother in law, who answered, recognised my voice. His sister and BIL had only changed their number to a cable line 2 days previously and co-incidently also being one of the first in the area to switch from BT had a number 2 digits different.

Also, a while back, my ex answered the phone to someone asking what time the coach for the hen night was picking everyone up. As, strangely, I was going on a hen night that night, my ex thought it was someone from the do and said "7.30 from Carole's house". The voice said "Is that not Carole's Gary then?" and saying no, explaining he knew Gary and Carole and re-affirming that Carole's hen night was leaving at 7.30 they seemed quite happy and rang off.

Just by co-incidence one of the people on the hen night (who I didn't know) mis-dailled and got my house and luckily enough we were all going out on the same do.

Just to clarify, I used to live in a town of 120k plus people so the 2 incidents were quite odd.

starflook said:

tatertotaggie said:
This exact thing happened to me last year as well. I was on my computer just playing on the net when all of a sudden the screen went black for about one second, and then it came back on, and everything was turned 90 degrees to the left. I didn't know what happened and I couldn't fix it, being technologically unsavy, and so I had to use my computer with my head slanted, which gave me a series of sore necks. A couple of weeks later, as I had gotten used to this odd arrangement, the screen went black again, and returned to normal. I, and my neck, was quite thankful for that.

The display on my computer can rotate. If i hold down control+alt and then press one of the arrow keys the display rotates. So for example, pressing control+alt+up makes the screen rotate 180 degrees. Could you have done this by accident?

melon24 said:
Funnily enough, I got one of these messages on my answerphone last night: 'please can you call the office as soon as possible' - followed by an unfamiliar number beginning 07012.

It was a mans voice and sounded like a recording. I work with all females so knew it wasn't from my office. I assume I would have been charged loads of money if I had rung it!
Anyone know that pre-fix?

As mentioned already, I work for customer services for a mobile phone network.

NO! Do not call the number. 070 numbers are one of two different kinds - they're either hospital bedside phones or "personal numbers". They can charge you as much as they like... sometimes up to £50/min.

I just had an odd call. I picked up when the phone rang and said Hello.

- Silence -

Thinking it was probably another nuisance call, I said Hello? again, and prepared to hang up.

But then a sultry woman's voice came back with a firm Goodbye! And the call ended!

Very odd! No conversation, no attempt at selling something, or eliciting information...
...just Goodbye!

o_O :confused:

Or she's an assistant of the Grim Reaper, reminding me my time is almost up... :eek:

CFE.jpg

Back