• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Psychological Thing Re: Big/Small

tomsk said:
To add to this 'weird sensations' discussion, do any of you occasionally get a feeling of indescribable calmness, understanding and joy after having a near-faint episode when standing up too quickly from the bath or some similar thing?

Um.. Kinda. I once passed out while doing qigong (kind of meditationy breathing excercises) I was out for about a minute, apparantly, and I felt a bit shaky for a hour or so after I woke up, but after that, I felt absolutely buzzy and fantastic for the rest of the day, just really light-heared and absolutely kick-arse... can't say I've ever felt it just from standing up too quick.

On an sort of opposite note to that question, does anyone ever find a very minor impact or knock can affect them absolutely out of all proportion, not because it actually hurts itself, but it just makes you feel really bad all over? It's kind of hard to explain, but this has happened to me a few times.

The most recent was a few weeks ago. I was out with my dog in the woods, and he jumped up at me with a stick in his mouth and knocked me on the hand with it. It was a very minor knock, and barely even hurt, but for some reason the sensation of being bumped seemed to go right through me. I felt really dizzy and nauseaous, and I had to sit down in the middle of the path for a few minutes because I really felt like I might faint.

Another time, I was playing kibadi* (don't know how you spell it) with a friend of mine, and again I got knocked on the hand, a bit harder this time. It wasn't that my hand hurt at all, but it really seemed to suck something out of me, and I felt really dizzy and drained, and again I had to sit down before I passed out.

It's not the first time that sort of thing has happened to me, though I'm not prone to fainting fits, (Qigong incident is the only time in my life I recall actually fainting) and I have no medical condition that I am aware of, and I'm not generally a fragile person.

Does anyone know what this is, or ever experienced anything similar?

*Kibadi - in our version, basically, you hit each other on the leg. Great game.

Actually... I've never had any blood taken. But I'm fine with injections, and I've had extended needle sessions with tattoos with no problem. It does feel like a shock reaction, but what triggers it is so minor, and in situations that are not at all stressful otherwise. I've had far worse proper injuries without experiencing anything similar.

:confused: Weird

Maybe it depends on your state of mind. If you feel hail and hearty, cars can hit you and buildings fall on you and you laugh in their face, but if you feel a bit fragile, a tiny bump is the end of the world.

I know what you mean slytherin , sometimes a little knock can make you feel like you have suddenly lost confidence , don't know why.
(I always faint when I have blood taken , I have to lie down and they can only take blood from my left arm so they always have to pull the bed out from the wall to get to it , I'm a problem patient LOL! Needles don't bother me mind .)

I had strange spells as a child of 9 or 11, everything would suddenly become more colourful and reality became 'heightened', everything was too bright, too real and i felt a step removed. Maybe they were seizures.

Also if i'm feeling stressed and I'm reading sometimes the shape of certain letters will make me feel sick..............does anybody know what I'm talking about?

I, too, experienced the big/little thing when I was a child, but I got it mostly when I looked at a particular lamp next to my bed. As an adult, I came to associate it with a particular incident: I went to a dentist who specialized in working with children, and he used hypnosis. So I put it to those of you who have posted here; were you ever hypnotised? Does anyone else see a possible connection?

--kelly

I was never hypnotized at all. It was just a nightmare thing with me. Later it only happened when I was feverish. I'm glad to say I haven't experienced it for years now.

Caroline said:
Also hypotension wouldn't explain it for me I'm slightly hypertensive.
Nah the hypotension doesn't explain the big/small thing, just the looking up and seeing black spots thing. That's no mystery, it's the big/small thing that's high strangeness. And should be investigated by someone IMO. Perhaps the magazine should be taking an interest?

Hi all--On a mailing list I once belonged to with nearly 200 members engaged in researching all sorts of odd topics, three other people mentioned having experienced the "big/little thing." It was the first time I felt like someone understood what I was talking about, since I'd always asked friends and even health professionals about it with no success. (What a shock it was to see so many on this board who also understood! When I found this thread I immediately registered so I could participate in the discussion).

One of these people on the list said she had done some research into US government programs on mind control (MK-ULTRA and the like) and had discovered that one minor and not nearly as infamous program actually used children's dentists/hypnotists--and this before I even brought up the topic myself. It gave me pause, since she said experienced the big/little thing and the hypnotism.

Now, I rather doubt I was part of any such program, coincidental mailing list posts not withstanding, and since I didn't know this person, I can't say whether her research was valid or whether she had been involved with the program.

But it did make me think that perhaps one technique used to induce a trance could involve getting the child to imagine incredible vastness and tinyness in order to clear the mind or take the attention away from the pain of denistry (in my case, while focusing on a light source--hence the connection with the lamp I mentioned in my earlier post). The weird feelings I experienced might have been the psychological residue of a suggestion like this. This is why I wondered about the hypnotism--I thought if others had also been hypnotised, I might have a solution to this little mystery.

Looks like this might not be a commonality, though, so no solution yet, but in a way it's at least interesting and somewhat heartening to know I'm not completely alone on this.

Well, huh.

--Kelly

The Syndrome

Here are the symptoms:

* The "big/little" thing => when I was a child, and only when feverish
* I faint when blood is drawn or when I have to vomit
* Street lights go on/off around me, but never when I'm looking
* Screen memories of "abduction" experiences
* I sometimes get disoriented in familiar surroundings
* Premonitions, sometimes coming true (had a huge one on 9/10/01)
* Frequent nightmares
* Bouts of clinical depression, resistant to medication
* Used to have feelings of "energy" when I was younger; tingling scalp,
felt like I could fly or jump 100 feet in the air, euphoria
* Powerful numinous spiritual experiences
* Often feel like I'm being watched, sometimes catch glimpses of "entities"
* Etc. etc.

Explanation? Some kind of temporal lobe epilepsy. That doesn't
mean the syndrome isn't significant in itself, because of the questions
it raises and the life directions it leads towards, but its roots are physical.
Also, is it a naturally occurring condition ... or induced from outside somehow?

Caroline said:
Never been hypnotised that I know of. But I have noticed that a few of us who have reported this feeling or feelings do have 'mental health problems' myself included. Are we in some way predisposed to strange mental states, are we suffering from some form of petit mal epilepsy? Does our shared fondness for Forteana indicate anything sinister. IIRC there was a report in 'New Scientist' magazine about how people with a certain mental disorder saw coincidences where there were none. I'm feeling lazy and can't be bothered to look it up myself.

that's just what i was thinking.

Meny of the posters here have mental health problems and meny have experenced this state that must be rare in the general population as health practitioners seem to have no idea about it.

Perhaps we do indeed suffer from a form of epelepisy or, even more fortean, perhaps we are experencing another form of reality or rather an alternitive form of interpiting sensory phenomina?

I've said before on this forum that the alterd perseptions of individuals suffering from mental ilness may not be delusional but mearly alternitive ways of interpiting the data fed to us by our sences. I think that this has some relevence here.

Perhaps our experences are not disfunctional but functional. Perhaps we see reality and otherd do not.

A bit gnostic that thought...

Ooh, thanks for reminding me about the thread - I spoke to the doc and the practise has had a good read through and asked about, but noone has the foggiest. I asked it to be pushed up the chain as it were, so I think we'll just have to wait and see :)

Big/Small

Yup, I've had the Big/Small experience as well, but I doubt I'd be able to articulate it as well as you folks. This was actually a big (no pun intended) thing for me as a kid, but I found it impossible to explain - except to my dear old Mum, who seemed to understand. It was like being able to hold a pin-head that was simultaneously as large as the Earth. So, it's a bit of a "Yes!" moment for me reading these messages.

Like many others, I haven't had that feeling since I was around 10/12, but there is another one I still get that gives me a feeling unlike any other - watching leaves swirl around chaotically in the wind, or anything similar gives me a feeling pitched somewhere between an unreasonable dread and a mild panic. Whoops, I shouldn't have told you that, to quote Hagrid. Clearly mad as a hatter!

The condition you are describing is Macropsia, it is very rare to suffer from it chronically but is common in young children, usually due to lack of sleep/tiredness. It is due to an electro/chemical imbalance in the frontal lobes of the brain. Hope this clears that one up.

Thanks, JmcKeith, I feel a lot better now. 2 aspirins and an early night, then!

No problem, it's quite funny that everyone is a little worried about this phenomena as anxiety is also a cause. Hope everyone sleeps well tonight.

Since I was a kid, when bored i would tap all the fingers on my right hand against the corresponding fingers on the left hand so that they all made contact at the exact time.

The sensation I get from this is that I have a piece of hardboard between my hands and I can sense the smooth side with my right fingers and the rough, waffle side with my left fingers.

What's that all about then?:spinning

Not really, It's been in the attic for around 4 years.
And my fingertips are as smooth as a baby's butt.

JMcKeith said:
No problem, it's quite funny that everyone is a little worried about this phenomena as anxiety is also a cause. Hope everyone sleeps well tonight.

I'm buggerd then.:(

I must be one of the rare ones that still suffers from it but I havn't had the sensation in about 2 years or so.

The condition you are describing is Macropia, it is very rare to suffer from it chronically but is common in young children

I used to get this sort of big/small thing a lot, but it eased off over the years ( 33 now ) but i had it again about 6 months ago ( almost always remember all my dreams, am i lucky? i dunno you decide )
The dreamstate starts with me snuggled up in bed and then i seem to melt into the bedclothes and the only thing stopping me from dissappearing was a grip on one of those lattice blankets, with all the holes in, but i'm gripping it with my mouth/teeth! but it just seems to get bigger until i can feel the holes against the roof of my mouth,eventually gagging and waking up. Whaddya reckon peeps? Anxiety based? or what?

P.s I had a regular type childhood ( i think ) with loving parents and nothing WEIRD going on if ya follow.

We have three people posting that they have sufferd this childhood condition in adult hood (I, Scot bainbridge and Caroline.)

If it's extremly rare to suffer it in adulthood then why are there 3 of uss suffering from it?

Perhaps we ARE a little difrent.

Anyone else to add to us 3?

Back