• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Gorgeous, beautiful and heavenly Tutti-Frutti ice cream is now a rarer sight than my previously-referred-to Christmas tinsel bikini :-(

Occasionally it pops up in a shop selling posh ice cream cornets but the days of being able to actually buy a tub of it and take it home have gone!

tfic - Copy (Copy).jpg

Last edited:
Check out those ingredients. I’d be surprised if there was any real ice in the process.
I don't know how people can eat such highly processed foods ladened with chemicals?

I read an article a while back that stated that a lot of foods, especially sweets, stopped being produced during the 70's when the newly emerging chemical food additives during the 60's really got a foothold but then later research showed how toxic some of these chemical were.

Circa 25 years ago, there was some kind of fat free "ice cream" I used to get in Tesco. Plastic tubs, three flavours: strawberry, chocolate and vanilla. Then it disappeared.
Carte D’Or used to supply Tesco and Sainsbury’s with a Sicilian Lemon Sorbet. The ice was loaded with the finest shavings of lemon peel. It was without doubt my all time favourite. Alas, it is now three or four years since we have seen it in stores.

Last edited:
but then later research showed how toxic some of these chemical were
This remains a strangely-variable area of food technology, beset by pseudo-subjective regional differences (cf North American corn syrup sweetners that are deemed unacceptable in Europe).

They are also bizarrely subject to reinterpretation over time: a perfect example of this was the UK's banning of cyclamate sweetners in the 1960s (which I can personally remember had a weirdly buzzing/sickening sweetness that reminded me of BPC chloroform)...apparently that was allowed back 'out of captivity' in 1996, which really disturbs me.

The human taste preference for sweetness has been an archetypal problem for us addicted primates.

Lead salts, deep caramelisation, concentrated fructoses just do not do us any good at all. But we tend to adore the damn taste, at a level deeper than the mere specieal (bugs, microbes, plants, all animalia)... it is even, arguably, a multicellular tropismic driver in terms of osmotic transportive movement in plants.

There's lots more research to be done on this: and plenty of unwelcome shocks awaiting the researchers (cancer tumours adore sugar as an illegitimately-empowering source of energy....neurodegenerative conditions such as Alzheimers and many dementias may have root causes in what can be thought of as being Type 3 diabetes)

Last edited:

Norfolk beach walker finds crisp packet from 1960s.​

Old crisp packet, faded with age, with 5D, ready salted and Golden Wonder brand visible

The Golden Wonder crisp packet is almost certainly from the late 1960s

Crisp packets and sweet wrappers dating back as far as the 1960s have been found on a Norfolk beach.
Chris Turner, from Clifton, Bedfordshire, came across the decades-old litter while staying at his holiday home at Scratby, near Great Yarmouth.
They include pre-decimalisation packets of Golden Wonder crisps, marked with a price of 5d, and 2d Spangles sweets.
"I think the recent high tides at Hemsby have shifted everything to the surface," said Mr Turner.
"It's only about a mile away, so the plastic could have come from there.
"I couldn't believe how old they were; I'm not a big eco-warrior but I think the plastic in the seas is dreadful and the amount of litter generally along the beach is awful.
"I was always told not to drop litter."
Plastic kills fish and other sea creatures and takes hundreds of years to break down into less harmful materials.
It is estimated there are 171 trillion pieces of plastic in the world's oceans.
A blue empty packet of ready salted crispi, crisps with gift stars; a yellow empty packet of cheese and onion crispi, crisps with gift stars; an empty orange packet of fruit flavour spangles

Mr Turner could not find any information on Crispi while confectionery giant Mars has been asked by the BBC to try to date this packet of Spangles
All the packets were found in Norfolk were in remarkable condition, with labelling and wording clearly visible, and were on top of the sand.
Mr Turner, who shared images of his finds on a local Facebook page, said it provided some nostalgia for snacks of yesteryear while providing evidence of just how long it takes for plastic to decompose.
"When I saw them I thought 'I'm picking that up' - just out of curiosity, really," added Mr Turner, who discovered them during three separate walks with his dog.
Scratby beach

Mr Turner regular spends his weekends at Scratby in Norfolk
No use-by dates were visible, so Mr Turner searched online for some clues as to their age.
Tayto Group, which now owns Golden Wonder, confirmed the packet was almost certainly from the late 1960s and said it had made changes in recent years to reduce plastic packaging.

The Smiths Horror Bags bacon flavour corn and potato claws were available for about five years in the 1970s and were reportedly criticised at the time for being potentially disturbing for children.
Mystery surrounds the provenance of the two empty packets of Crispi and the fruit flavour Spangles could potentially date from the 1960s or early 70s.
Packet of Smiths Horror Bags Claws, bacon flavour, with a cartoon image of a Dracula type figure

The empty Horror Bags packet could be finding its way on to an auction site
The chance finds could pay dividends for Mr Turner who will continue to keep an eye out for vintage litter on the beach.
"The last one I found - Horror Bags - I contacted a group online and was told 'actually, it's really valuable'," he said.
"I've had a look and some have gone for over £100 on eBay because they're collectable.
"So I know what I'll be doing with that very soon."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-norfolk-65428452
We have a well in the garden, more or less dry and generally coverdby a slab. A few years back one of the sons and a friend decided to clim b own ( it’s about 5 ft down) and came back up with a haul of crisp and sweet wrappers from the “olden days” of 1960’s. They were thrilled and we spent ages discussing tatty crisp packets.

We have a well in the garden, more or less dry and generally coverdby a slab. A few years back one of the sons and a friend decided to clim b own ( it’s about 5 ft down) and came back up with a haul of crisp and sweet wrappers from the “olden days” of 1960’s. They were thrilled and we spent ages discussing tatty crisp packets.
So does this forum.

I've not mentioned my collection of empty Corona drink bottles.
Mainly because I don't have one.
However, I miss that brand of chemical-laced sugar water. It tasted, well, softer to the palate than the acidic fizzy pop of the day.
Though, I will still gorge myself on Cherry cola.

The stuff I remember and quite liked was Cydrax. Hardly anybody sold it, so I only ever had 2 bottles of it and one lollipop from a van.
My Dad introduced me to it when we were visiting my nana in Wales.
Then they stopped selling it altogether in the late 80s. It's still available in Trinidad and Tobago, but not in its country of origin. They also have Peardrax, which Trinidadians regard as a 'fine drink'.

More about Corona here. Comes from Wales, look you. I remember getting money back on the bottles (in old pennies - forget how many).

https://www.batterseabus.co.uk/the-corona-man-cometh/
coronavan.png
Round our way, the corner off-license that gave coinage for returned empties didn't realise that we could go to the wall and reach over to pull up Corona empties from the crates he stored there.
A form of recycling even then in the seventies!

As a kid in the sixties, we always took our pop bottles back.
1. You could get enough money back for Fruit Salad or Black Jack chews.
2. Bottles reused and therefore a green option.
3. Less broken glass on the areas you used to play on - especially important when dramatically expiring in a game of Best Man Falls.

Back