• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird IHTM Tales From Reddit & Other Sites

^That's excellent, thank you! Exactly what I'm after... a really good read.

I wonder where in Northern Ireland that farmhouse is that the guy posted the photograph of?

I *knew* it had to be here as soon as I saw it!!

I did a quick scan and didn't see the photo you are talking about...
I have an account on there, and could pm whomever posted it, if you could give me a hint where it is :p

His inbox is full :/
Neat looking old farmhouse.

I wish I remembered the page, but one of my favorites from that link directly above is where the guy and his dad are traveling, stop to pee on the side of the road, and are met with a group of strange spindly creatures moving quickly in a weaving pattern which he felt was stalking behavior :shock:

Oh great : :roll:

kamalktk said:
Whatever took the deer and carried, not dragged, it off, 40 yards from the hunter and without the hunter hearing (a bit more than halfway down the page.). It helps that there are pictures.
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/76..._s_time_for_another_CREEPY_THREAD.html&page=6

and page 19 has a guy who watched a boulder stand up, turn around and wander off. Page 21 has a couple good ones as well

I got through the reddit link a few weeks back. I've just literally finished all 25 pages of the ar15 thread linked at the top of this page, and now here's another one!

Things I learned from the first thread:
1. Kids see dead people, esp. relatives, all the time (but I knew that from my family).
2. Some woods, even innocent looking ones next to your home, are bad bad news.
3. The sound of footsteps and doors opening and closing are so widespread they must be either a meme or a contractual obligation of some kind.
4. Some Americans on the way out of the house pick up a gun the way British people pick up small change and a hanky.
5. All American basements are the focus of powerful occult forces.
6. In accordance with Forts law, unusual events must not be captured or recorded, or if they are they must not be actually provided in support of the story (and the obligatory exception to the rule is the cops photos of all that money. Boss.)
7. Some Americans like to take several guns with them, even when visiting relatives they seem to like.
8. Even the most hardened skeptic would have a job on explaining every single one of these stories.
9. It's impossible to read these stories around midnight with the lights turned off and not think 'aww just one more page'.
10. Did I mention the guns?

So - here I go. [Rolls sleeves up and clicks on the link ...]

special_farces said:
4. Some Americans on the way out of the house pick up a gun the way British people pick up small change and a hanky.
Well, it is a forum for the civilian version of a military rifle, so really liking guns is to be expected of it's members.

kamalktk said:
special_farces said:
Well, it is a forum for the civilian version of a military rifle, so really liking guns is to be expected of it's members.

Well, you are both right :p Thanks for the laugh, because it is true, many Americans do grab a gun on the way out as part of their normal routine lol. Some of the guys on that forum have a gun within arms reach at all times when they are home too :p There are some very funny spoof threads where guys are looking for advice on how to rig up a holster to use in the shower :)
An AR15 is a semiautomatic (one shot per trigger pull) version of the military M16 rifle. They are nice rifles and are very popular for target shooting, some hunting, although they shoot a bullet that is small for deer for example, and people keep them for self defense in their homes also.
After reading some of those stories I don't blame those people for carrying as much firepower as possible when out in the woods :shock: :lol:

kamalktk said:

Ha ha. I was looking for the tongue-in-cheek emoticon, but couldn't find it.

lkb3rd said:
After reading some of those stories I don't blame those people for carrying as much firepower as possible when out in the woods

Yep - and interesting how seldom anyone opens up. But laughed a couple of times at the sheer amount of kit they have. This guy is dealing with something potentially nasty just outside the front door, but his family have put in the neccessary prior planning:

FDrifting said:
my dad had his SIg and .410 upstairs, and downstairs i had my Beretta Px4, ar15, and m1 garand, my gf also had her ar15.

My grandfathers battalion had less firepower in 1916!

kamalktk said:

The irony being, from what I can gather from the posts at that forum, that despite all of the firepwoer none seem to say '...so I blazed away on full automatic...' :D

Despite them having tons of guns, quite a number of the stories included statements like 'i couldn't be sure it wasn't a person, so I didn't fire', so the members there do seem like they are being responsible about things.

I found the one I mentioned above. It's funny because this duo don't get out of the car to pee without a handgun and shotgun. It's a strange and good story.
Someone quoted it on page 6, not far below the post about the deer slaying with the pictures..

FALaholic # 16051
Old Post October 14, 2006 18:09 Post #41

Back in the winter of 2001 my youngest son and I were on our way from Boise,Idaho to Medford,Oregon.We had taken a car trailer to his old place in Boise in order to haul his non-running Jeep to his new place in Medford.We hit an area of heavy snow in the southern Cascades around 2:00 a.m.It took 45 minutes or so to get down the mountain.We had,of course been drinking coffee to stay alert.

About 25 miles west of the pass it became obvious that the last few quarts of coffee had to be drained.We stopped at a wide spot in the road near a summer tourist haunt,deserted in winter.There is a gas station and ice cream joint on the west side of the road,closed this time of year,and no town or settlement within 30 miles.This is tall timber country,and unsettled.Across the road is a small parking area for the ice cream joint.It is paved and about 200 ft.wide and 80 ft.deep.I pulled in and as I stepped out with .45 on hip,it occurred to me in a flash that grabbing the 590 Mossy would be good.

As we walked to the far end of the area to be well off the road,the hair on my arms and the back of my neck stood on end.The area directly to our front was open with a depth of 50 yards and a width of 100 yards.The night was clear and cold,8-10 inches of snow on the ground,and with a moon almost full,so we could see quite well.While standing and taking a leak,with son about 15 ft.to my right I saw,as if springing from the earth in front of us across the open area 10 or 12 creatures moving RAPIDLY back and forth in sort of a Thatch weave pattern.These things,not human men,were close to 7 ft.tall,thin,bipedal with long arms,medium length gray fur, and damned fast on their feet.I brought the shotgun up and slid the safety off,as son was drawing his .45.

I don't know if I can adequately explain the overwhelming feeling of menace,but here goes.I had been operating on pure instinct since I had stepped from the pickup,the rotten feeling hit me a split second before the things arrived,the feeling?,instinct?, was that we were prey,and subject to a very bad death,and to be slaughtered and eaten,not a logical process,gut feeling and massively overwhelming.

As they were moving about in front of us,more appeared and mixed among them,all the while running about fast in front of us.Son and I were backing toward the truck,I WOULD NOT present my back to them,and some of them peeled off right and left in an encirclement movement.They were rolling in fast from the sides now,I could smell and feel their presence.We got to the truck loaded on adrenaline and ready to kill,as we both knew we were in grave danger.We piled into the truck,locked doors.I had keys out and ready,as my butt neared the seat, I had the engine lit and trans.in gear and gas pedal mashed in one motion.Adrenaline is great stuff!As we fled,yes fled,something VERY close by let out a ululating scream of rage,and pain.I believe one or more of the group had gotten really close to us in their pursuit and I ran over the foot of one of them,yeah they were that close.We rolled onto the highway and I told son to watch the bed of the pickup as well as the trailer,he already was indexed to the rear with the shotgun.We hauled ass for at least 20 miles before the feeling of grave danger started to abate. The feeling that nailed both of us,as we discussed soon afterward,was one of being prey,and soon to be slaughtered and eaten.I am not easily led,and neither believe or disbelieve all the bigfoot,ghost and werewolf stuff,in fact I am skeptical. Son was speaking with a coworker about 6 months later who had grown up in Prospect,Oregon,about 30 moles south of Union Creek where the incident took place.He asked Jake if he had ever heard of any strange goings-on in the area.Jake went ashy white and pretty much retold the above tale.He says to avoid the place at night.A family friend,a 25 yr.retired cop not given to flights of fancy and an excellent observer, had a tale very similar from a year before.I told my wife of this event of course,she looked at me at the beginning as though I had developed a 3rd eyeball in the center of my forehead.That was from shock,she did believe me,but did not wish to hear any details.She said the tale gave her chills.Me too,as I write this,hair on back of neck and forearms is sticking up.

I have NOT gone back to explore,and would not without a large group of shotgun and flamethrower equipped men with me.
Son and I are both sane,sober persons,and not taken to hysteria.We were wide,VERY wide awake as things transpired.We saw and smelled what was there.As a sidebar neither of us heard footfalls from the creatures.They were silent until i hurt one as we were getting the Hell out of there.

To my knowledge,and I have researched,there is nothing that matches these creatures,unless one considers old legends and folk tales of were creatures. To conclude,I have to fall back on Elmer Keiths famous line,"Hell,I was there"
best regards, Mike M.

Thank you! Great thread, and nice link to the rifle forum too.

Genuinely scary and thought-provoking stuff. After a while, the sheer weight of weird stories give a sort of truth to them. Plus of course, these are people posting for no financial gain, on forums they have joined for other reasons than to tell scary stories, and may have online reputations they wouldn't want to risk for no reason.

Weird. :shock:

On the ar15 threads it's the wide range of stories and topics which impresses. Off the top of my head all that's missing are fish falls and dog headed men (but there is a headless figure so you never know).

bump... still seeking other real life / fortean / creepy threads on the internet if anyone out there knows of any others! Think that second AR15 thread has fizzled out now!

Posted: 1/29/2013 5:07:20 PM

Assuming this is the post you mean. I think it's a premonition, a precognitive dream. The alien figure represents the man he gave a lift to. I'm not exactly objective and impartial her because I have had premonitions myself and sometimes people or objects or locations get represented by something similar to the actual - event person object or location.
Don't know why that should be. Perhaps the man was represented by an 'alien' because of the weirdness about him.

Soul Doubt. I don't know if you have read
Most Scar Swag Stories (Australian) which began with stories of camping.

http://www.4wdaction.com.au/forum/viewtopic.php?f=39&t=45476

Not all are scary; some are funny incidents, or encounters with wildlife, which seems scary enough to me! (Some bloke and his friends pitched their tent one night in a dry spot, and found, in the morning 'hundreds' of Funnelweb spider holes around them :shock:) But some would be filed under 'strange' or 'unknown.'

I also found an American site called Adventure Rider with tales from people who bike (motorbikes) in remote places, and though that began as bike-specific, it later became more general. However you have to create an account to read that. I did, and felt an imposter, but there may be people on FT who use bikes and would like to have a look. I spent a few days reading that.

[/url]http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=299862[/url]

That's great Fanari, thanks so much for posting those. Just spent half of my Sunday reading that epic Australian outback thread! Exactly the kind of stuff I'm looking for. Will have to sign up to that motorcycle website too. Thanks again - and if anyone else ever comes across any similar threads, please remember to post them!

You're welcome, Soul Doubt. I spent days leisurely reading both of those. The Adventure Biking thread was as interesting as the camping one, and the people seemed pretty nice and down-to-earth. Not all stories had a 'weird' twist, but all were worth reading, It made me wish I did ride bikes, so I could have properly joined, as it was quite friendly. :)

If I find any more (you sometimes get links from such threads to other sites, as I found) I will certainly post them here.

I've been reading the "glitch" thread with some skepsis because of the way the stories are told. I've just been reading a scientific anthropological study on modern ghosts - the link came from the FT forum - and here they analyzed the language of modern ghost sightings. Things that were apparent:

- how factually and unemotionally "authentic" ghost stories were related
- how the tellers of the stories tried to explain their experience in the most rational manner
- how apologetic the storytellers were about their unexplained experiences

The reddit stories feel different, more creepypasta than real life reporting.

You can feel the difference if you compare the usual IHTM story on this forum. The have a very different feel than most of the reddit stories. The manner in which they're told is different.

uair01 said:
You can feel the difference if you compare the usual IHTM story on this forum. The have a very different feel than most of the reddit stories. The manner in which they're told is different.

The writers tend to be much younger than we Forteans. ;)

However, you are correct: some of the reported incidents read like fiction.

I have a kind of filtering process for these kind of threads – any that start off with “when I was a kid” or “when I was 15” I skip along to the next one.

Also – anything pertaining to sleep or dreams – I skip along to the next one.

Found the book and the quotes:

Supernatural experience narratives ... tend to share a common highly detailed, cautious, and sometimes even defensive structure. ... These narratives, or memorates as they are called, are typically told as though one were on the witness stand, detailed and careful, incorporating numerous strategies that outline the nature of the observations, the testing of alternative explanations, and often including an indication of reluctance to interpret what occurred as “supernatural.”

Stated more informally:

There is a difference between “ghost stories” and “haunted
encounters.”

Ghost stories are just that—stories. Each tale has a central character and follows the three-act structure.
Haunted encounters don’t usually have a beginning, middle and end. The personal experience narratives almost always start with a disclaimer and end with the narrator’s voice trailing off and another disclaimer.

Ghost stories are told with gusto and glee.
Haunted encounters are told reluctantly and with apology.

Ghost stories are thought to be entertaining and acceptable.
Haunted encounters are often considered to be the delusions of a troubled mind.

The glitch matrix are mostly just stories, the "ghost story" category. The IHTM stories on this forum are often more in the "haunted encounter" style. I find that "defensively rationalistic" style more convincing.

The source is from here. I found the link on the "Fortean culture" thread. It's an interesting book:
http://digitalcommons.usu.edu/cgi/viewcontent.cgi?article=1017&context=usupress_pubs

@Uair01 -

The glitch matrix are mostly just stories, the "ghost story" category. The IHTM stories on this forum are often more in the "haunted encounter" style. I find that "defensively rationalistic" style more convincing.

Yes, I feel that too.

@Soul Doubt. Thank-you for the link. I was reading that Survivalist forum some months ago, then forgot to bookmark it, and couldn't remember what it was called.

Soul_Doubt said:
I've found another one that I'm pretty sure hasn't been posted before if anyone's interested.

Only read a couple of pages in, but seems like a trove of 155 pages of potential creepy true story goodness

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236

A few posts in there is this excellent advice:

If you feel very creeped out when out in the deep backcountry (especially the northern Rockies) I would advise going with your instinct, and quickly. You are not the top of the food chain, and this is not your neighborhood.

I think I may be going to use that last sentence as my email sig for a while!

Soul_Doubt said:
I've found another one that I'm pretty sure hasn't been posted before if anyone's interested.

Only read a couple of pages in, but seems like a trove of 155 pages of potential creepy true story goodness

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=57236

I've read most of it now, on page 120. Some good stories. But a wicked thought occurred to me - wonder if half the 'there was something following me in the woods' stories are about the other half of posters who are following something suspicious in the woods?

A lot of the stories are from people who go deep into the wild to get solitude - doesn't seem to occur to them that there would be lots of others wanting to do the same for all sorts of reasons, and where there's a trail there's likely someone who uses it. I know the US is huge, but people are pattern-followers and if 20 people set off from the same area to go to a place they think they will get solitude, likely half of them would arrive at the same place

It's also fairly amazing they don't all end up shooting each other.

I was also entertained by the person who thought he would get solitude in Epping Forest. Obviously not a Genesis fan.

edit: Bigfoot73 should definitely visit - his cousins come up a lot :)

Back