• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Weird Text Message

Dave landfill

12th Earl of Landfillshire
Reading the threads over the last couple of days prompted me to remember an incident that happened last october.
I'd picked up my daughters from school and we'd just got home.
My youngest went straight out to play and my eldest (aged 10) had gone up to her room.
On the way in I'd chucked my phone on the sofa and gone into the kitchen to make a cuppa.
When I walked back into the living room I noticed my phone was lit up and picked it up assuming I'd received a text message.
Firstly I was confused by the message as it seemed completely out of context to anything I could think of at that time.
After looking at it for a few seconds realised that I hadn't received the message, it was written on my phone as if about to be sent, and to my daughter who was upstairs. The previous text messages to we'd exchanged were dated a week before, and had no relevance to this. It just read (rather spookily) I could here you
Now at this point I assumed that she'd either a) picked up my phone by mistake assuming it was hers, or b) was up to a bit of mischief and had to abort mission in mid-flow when I returned from the kitchen.
I shouted up to her and asked her what she'd been doing on my phone, she didn't seem to have a clue what I was talking about.
The more I thought about it the more reasons I had to rule her out. I'd probably have heard her come down the stairs, even if she was trying to be really sneaky. And, if she had to make a quick exit due to being disturbed, there's very little chance of her getting back upstairs without being detected. Secondly, why would she be sending this message to her own phone?
Thirdly, the miss-spelling. Very, very unlikely for her make a mistake like this.
My next train of thought was that my phone had been hacked or infected with some kind of malware. Security scans yielded nothing and there were no other symptoms to suggest that this was the case either.
Of course it is possible that either of these explainations could still be correct, all I do know for sure is that I didn't write it.
Just wondered if anyone else can offer an explianation or has experienced anything similar?

What kind of phone do you have? A lot of smart phones have predictive text functions. Was the phone in your pocket before you chucked it on the sofa? It's not unusual for the phone to become accidentally unlocked by contact in the pocket and then further to open apps, make calls etc ('butt dial'). If you have a smartphone and it was in your pocket, I think it's possible that it got unlocked in this fashion, the messaging app opened, and a few random predictive text words were pressed - all accidentally, by your thighs.

I could go with that explaination if I used predictive text, but that is something I always have turned off just because it dives me up the wall. So I have to rule that one out, and the chances of randomly accidently typing something like that, well the odds have to pretty astounding.

It's a samsung btw.

Could you have accidentally pressed the S Voice button before discarding the phone? Then it would be a case of the phone's voice recognition somehow managing to interpret noise/your singing in the kitchen as "send text to X I could here you"? (Although I'd hope it could at least spell).

I thought you might've been on to something there, but I've just gone to try it (it's not an application I've purposely used in the past) it's not currently set up to use. It is possible though that it may have been at that time as I have no recollection of removing the shortcut button from the home screen...

I thought you might've been on to something there, but I've just gone to try it (it's not an application I've purposely used in the past) it's not currently set up to use. It is possible though that it may have been at that time as I have no recollection of removing the shortcut button from the home screen...

I think S Voice can be activated by a physical button. Try pressing the Home button twice.

I think S Voice can be activated by a physical button. Try pressing the Home button twice.
I've just had a play around trying to get the phone to access S Voice this way. It looks like this would be possible if the steps were taken to activate the app (agreements, t&c's etc).

Could you have accidentally pressed the S Voice button before discarding the phone?
Equally, could it have been an accidental copy-and-paste, from elsewhere on the phone?

One possibility that occurred to me is that the fragmentary text message represented something you'd started, then aborted and forgot about. I sometimes find such aborted partial messages I'd started, set aside, and forgotten.

This would require that the mystery text was stored (or at least never eliminated) when you discontinued the text entry, but got activated or brought back to the foreground when you 'chucked' your phone onto the sofa.

Depending on how often you text, a pending message may have been a lot older than your return to your home that day.

This would explain why it was already addressed to your daughter.

My iphone sometimes mixed in bits of old texts with new ones, made Escette laugh! She'd send them back to me. Gibberish.

Not sure I'd've found it funny if there was anything untoward to repeat!

One possibility that occurred to me is that the fragmentary text message represented something you'd started, then aborted and forgot about. I sometimes find such aborted partial messages I'd started, set aside, and forgotten.

This would require that the mystery text was stored (or at least never eliminated) when you discontinued the text entry, but got activated or brought back to the foreground when you 'chucked' your phone onto the sofa.

Depending on how often you text, a pending message may have been a lot older than your return to your home that day.

This would explain why it was already addressed to your daughter.

Definately not. I checked for an abandonded draft message at the time and also searched the phrase if we can call it that at the time. I've never deleted anything in messages either. Not had to as I don't send or receive that many.

My iphone sometimes mixed in bits of old texts with new ones, made Escette laugh! She'd send them back to me. Gibberish.

Not sure I'd've found it funny if there was anything untoward to repeat!

I've never had any issues before or since. It's a Samsung phone that runs on android.

Having just posted the above reply, I'm reminded that I've also replied on another thread regarding synced-advertisments. Not to be confused with the
face-ache/instagripe/gargoyle algorythm ads, I (and others) have noticed online ads cropping up that have been uncomfortably closely related to subjects of verbal conversations...
A long shot I know, but ....

It is true that your mobile can listen in on you if you keep it switched on, but I'm not sure of the extent of that use by advertisers. Certainly those Alexa and Echo things will keep a track on what you're discussing.

It is true that your mobile can listen in on you if you keep it switched on, but I'm not sure of the extent of that use by advertisers. Certainly those Alexa and Echo things will keep a track on what you're discussing.

Especially if you discuss hardwood floors.

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2018/05/24/alexa_recording_couple/

The possibility of apps listening in and targeting ads has been observed for a couple of years now. Do a google search for "smartphone target adverts voice" and there's a lot of news articles on the subject.

Back