• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

We're Getting Cooler: Historical Decline In "Normal" Human Body Temperature

EnolaGaia

I knew the job was dangerous when I took it ...
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Broad surveys of medical / clinical data extending back to the mid-19th century suggest the average human body temperature is declining.
Human Bodies Have Steadily Grown Colder Over The Past Century, Evidence Shows

For more than a century, 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit – 37 degrees Celsius – has been used as a landmark of human health. We've suspected for a while now that the number needs adjusting, but a new study shows it's not for the reasons we thought.

In spite of the cumbersome tools the German physician Carl Reinhold August Wunderlich used to establish an average healthy body temperature in 1851, he probably got it right. Remarkably, we may have just gotten colder.

"Our temperature's not what people think it is," says medical researcher Julie Parsonnet from Stanford University in the US.

"What everybody grew up learning, which is that our normal temperature is 98.6, is wrong." ...

Since then, a handful of studies have been critical of Wunderlich's measurement, prompting calls to drop it by a fraction of a degree.

Parsonnet and her colleagues were curious about whether the cause of the contrasting measurements was actually improved technology, or if it accurately reflected changes in our physiology.

To find out, the researchers dug through the medical records of nearly 24,000 Union Army veterans following the US Civil War to work out just how hot we ran around a century ago.

These numbers were then compared to around 15,000 records from an early 1970s national health survey and 150,000 records from a Stanford clinical data platform representing the early 2000s. In total, the team had details on more than half a million individual temperature measurements.

Sure enough, there was a clear, significant difference over time. Temperatures among those living at the end of the 19th century were slightly warmer. Men born in the 2000s, for example, were 0.59 degrees Celsius cooler than those born in the early 1800s, representing a steady decline of 0.03 degrees Celsius per decade.

The drop was similar for women, with a drop of 0.32 degrees Celsius since the 1890s. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/human-bodies-have-steadily-grown-colder-over-the-past-century

Here are the bibliographic particulars and abstract for the published research report ...

Human Bodies Have Steadily Grown Colder Over The Past Century, Evidence Shows
Myroslava Protsiv, Catherine Ley, Joanna Lankester, Trevor Hastie, Julie Parsonnet

eLife 2020;9:e49555 DOI: 10.7554/eLife.49555

Abstract
In the US, the normal, oral temperature of adults is, on average, lower than the canonical 37°C established in the 19th century. We postulated that body temperature has decreased over time. Using measurements from three cohorts--the Union Army Veterans of the Civil War (N = 23,710; measurement years 1860–1940), the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey I (N = 15,301; 1971–1975), and the Stanford Translational Research Integrated Database Environment (N = 150,280; 2007–2017)--we determined that mean body temperature in men and women, after adjusting for age, height, weight and, in some models date and time of day, has decreased monotonically by 0.03°C per birth decade. A similar decline within the Union Army cohort as between cohorts, makes measurement error an unlikely explanation. This substantive and continuing shift in body temperature—a marker for metabolic rate—provides a framework for understanding changes in human health and longevity over 157 years.

FULL ARTICLE: https://elifesciences.org/articles/49555

Isn't the US temperature 98 degrees fahrenheit? Which converts to 36,6 degrees celcius.

It may be an adaptation to global warming. Or we're gradually turning into reptiles.

Or it may have something to do with an increasingly sedentary lifestyle and lowered metabolism (at the time of measurement, if not always).
Alternatively: could it be anything to do with vasculo-cerebral bloodflow demands, over time?

I do accept that if we sit more, we think more (a clumy generalisation, hear me out). This is at the level of the individual and of course the species.

Could it be said that 'cooler heads' are being selected for, as an epigenetic selection?

Thinkers (let's approximate) begat thinkers. Animals that have large busy brains cannot thrive in febrile overheated brain-cases. Is there almost a reflex arc between increased cognative activity and an absolute underpinning need for biothermological reduced temperatures.

I'd argue that this could well be, at herd/species level, the primary silent reducer of temperatures. More-thinking organisms need increased bloodflow to the brain, and increased reduction away from the internal brain of heat via improved transduction (a "CPU" cooling system analogy)

Surely we'd all expect the baseline *brain* temperature of a caveman or earlier primates to be higher than that of modern-day homo sapiens? (all other factors adjusted for)

Isn't the US temperature 98 degrees fahrenheit? Which converts to 36,6 degrees celcius.

The canonical temperature in the UK used to be 98.4°. My source to supplement my memory is The Universal Home Doctor
But my current Boots medical thermometer has the red line at 37°C = 98.6° F. It would be plausible to suggest that we changed from 98.4 to 98.6 when Celsius became predominant ( I can't tell you when this was as I still think in Fahrenheit, particularly if I'm ill )

Oxo

My in-house Medic has always said that different people run at different temperatures, and you should take your temperature over a range of times to work out your own average. For instance, our daughter has always run quite cold, so if her temperature reached 'normal' my husband would be reaching for the Calpol to bring it back down again...

My in-house Medic has always said that different people run at different temperatures, and you should take your temperature over a range of times to work out your own average. For instance, our daughter has always run quite cold, so if her temperature reached 'normal' my husband would be reaching for the Calpol to bring it back down again...
I seem to have a higher body temperature than most people, probably a degree or two. Whenever I've mentioned it to people in the past, their reaction has generally been 'that can't happen, all humans have the same body temperature'. Clearly they don't!

My nurse sister also tells me that people don't have the same temperature during the whole day. There's a change of about half a degree.

Update ...

Newly published research in Bolivia indicates the general decrease in average human body temperature is not limited to the most developed nations.
New Evidence Shows It's Not Just Americans Whose Bodies Are Getting Colder

... Over the years, it seems as though people in the United States and the United Kingdom have grown steadily colder, with body temperatures coming up short of the usual 98.6 degrees Fahrenheit, or 37 degrees Celsius a generally accepted average.

New research on the Tsimane, a relatively remote indigenous tribe in Bolivia, suggests this trend is not a fluke, nor is not simply a product of high-income living. Instead, it appears to exist even in rural and tropical areas, where healthcare is minimal and infections are widespread.

When anthropologists first began working with the Tsimane in 2002, the average body temperature among adults was an average of 37 C – exactly what was measured in Europe two centuries ago.

In just sixteen years, that measurement had dropped to 36.5 C (36.53 for women and 36.57 for men), a rapid decline of 0.03 C each year.

"In less than two decades we're seeing about the same level of decline as that observed in the US over approximately two centuries," says anthropologist Michael Gurven ...

The results come with a relatively high degree of confidence. The analysis is based on a large sample of 5,500 adults and about 18,000 long-term observations, taking into account numerous other factors that might influence a person's body temperature.

No matter how researchers sliced up the results – even when they only analysed completely healthy adults – the decline was still there. ...

While some infections among the Tsimane were indeed linked to higher body temperatures, a reduction in infections alone wasn't enough to explain the steep decline. ...

In the end, the team wasn't able to find any single explanation or "magic bullet" to explain the rapid decline in body temperatures, and they say it's likely a combination of factors. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/new-ev...ust-americans-whose-bodies-are-getting-colder

Last edited:
Here are the bibliographic details and abstract for the new Bolivian study. The full research report is accessible at the link below.

Rapidly declining body temperature in a tropical human population
Michael Gurven, Thomas S. Kraft, Sarah Alami, Juan Copajira Adrian, Edhitt Cortez Linares, Daniel Cummings, et al.
Science Advances 28 Oct 2020:
Vol. 6, no. 44, eabc6599
DOI: 10.1126/sciadv.abc6599

Abstract
Normal human body temperature (BT) has long been considered to be 37.0°C. Yet, BTs have declined over the past two centuries in the United States, coinciding with reductions in infection and increasing life expectancy. The generality of and reasons behind this phenomenon have not yet been well studied. Here, we show that Bolivian forager-farmers (n = 17,958 observations of 5481 adults age 15+ years) inhabiting a pathogen-rich environment exhibited higher BT when first examined in the early 21st century (~37.0°C). BT subsequently declined by ~0.05°C/year over 16 years of socioeconomic and epidemiological change to ~36.5°C by 2018. As predicted, infections and other lifestyle factors explain variation in BT, but these factors do not account for the temporal declines. Changes in physical activity, body composition, antibiotic usage, and thermal environment are potential causes of the temporal decline.

FULL ARTICLE: https://advances.sciencemag.org/content/6/44/eabc6599

With other mammals, higher temp goes with a faster metabolism so ours are possibly slowing down? Makes sense, more sedentary in recent decades.

Also, I was told, that a higher temp leads to animals being able to eat a more diverse food source as the higher temp will kill off more bacteria, hence dogs can literally eat all sorts of shit that would see us in hospital.

And we are becoming steadily less hairy? Also, would the spectrum of people whose temperature was taken 150+ years ago be truly representative? After all, only the rich would have been able to afford medical care, and they would have been much better fed than the average (and probably fatter).

And we are becoming steadily less hairy? Also, would the spectrum of people whose temperature was taken 150+ years ago be truly representative? After all, only the rich would have been able to afford medical care, and they would have been much better fed than the average (and probably fatter).

I’m certainly becoming less hairy as the years go on!

Also not entirely convinced of the accuracy of body temperature readings from 150 years ago.

Would a lower body temp mean lower caloric requirements needed to maintain that temp? Lower calorie requirements would be a survival advantage.

Would a lower body temp mean lower caloric requirements needed to maintain that temp? Lower calorie requirements would be a survival advantage.

I'm not sure there's a clear answer ... Body temperature is one of the basic maintenance functions fueled by the fundamental basal / resting metabolic rate, which can account for up to circa 80% of the body's energy usage. There's no simple / direct / one-to-one mapping between energy intake and the full set of energy expenditures. The second largest type of energy expenditure is physical movement and work, suggesting that less physical effort (i.e., more sedentary lifestyle) might have some influence. The smallest category of energy expenditure is that which is required for refueling (i.e., food and digestion). Different food groups impart different energy demands for digestion.

Newly published research is attempting to model relative levels of human activity over the last 200 years by leveraging a presumed linkage to recorded body temperature data. This is an initial step toward testing the possible connection between historical decline in body temperature and decreased physical activity.
What's Behind The Strange Drop in American Body Temperatures Over The Past 200 Years?

... Early last year, researchers in the United States combed Civil War veteran records and national health surveys and found temperatures among men born at the turn of this century were 0.59 degrees Celsius cooler than those men born around two hundred years earlier.

Women, on the other hand, had seen a 0.32 degrees Celsius decline since the 1890s.

At the time, the authors suggested it might have something to do with inflammation due to disease, which is closely tied to body temperature. With the rise of modern medicine, we've seen a decline in chronic infections, and maybe, the authors suggested, this has chilled us out, so to speak.

Later in 2020, another group of researchers found an eerily similar reduction in body temperature among a relatively remote indigenous tribe in Bolivia, where infections have remained widespread and medical care minimal, despite some modern changes.

The reasons for the recent decline in body temperature clearly had to go beyond improved hygiene, cleaner water, or improved medical care, and some researchers at Harvard are now investigating another explanation: a decline in physical activity.

When a person exercises regularly, it often coincides with an increase in their metabolism. This, in turn, can raise their body's resting temperature for hours or even up to a day, which means falling body temperature measurements might indicate falling physical activity.

Unfortunately, the methods we have for measuring physical activity today weren't around 200 years ago, so we can't really compare how we move now to how we moved then.

What could be possible, however, is to use historical body temperature data as a "thermometer" to gauge physical activity before we started keeping track of these things.

If we can model the relationships between physical activity, metabolism, and body temperature we could theoretically work backward. ...
FULL STORY: https://www.sciencealert.com/the-st...tures-might-have-to-do-with-physical-activity

Here are the bibliographic details and abstract from the published research report.

Andrew K. Yegian, Steven B. Heymsfield, Daniel E. Lieberman
Historical body temperature records as a population-level ‘thermometer’ of physical activity in the United States
Current Biology VOLUME 31, ISSUE 20, PR1375-R1376, OCTOBER 25, 2021
DOI:https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cub.2021.09.014

Summary
Over the past two centuries profound technological and social changes have reduced overall levels of physical activity (PA). However, just how much population-level PA levels have declined since the Industrial Revolution is unknown because methods for measuring PA, such as accelerometry and the doubly labeled water technique, were developed only within the last few decades. Here, we show that historical records of resting body temperature (TB) can serve as a ‘thermometer’ of population-level PA, enabling us to use the well-documented secular decline in TB in the US 1 to approximate PA decline in the US since 1820. Using cross-sectional data relating TB to resting metabolic rate (RMR) and RMR to PA, we estimate that RMR has declined by ∼6% and moderate to vigorous PA by ∼27 minutes per day since 1820 in the US.

SOURCE: https://www.cell.com/current-biology/fulltext/S0960-9822(21)01254-9

That's interesting. I'm usually around 37, but my partner often reads at the low end of 35. It's not unusual that he reads high end of 34 and I've been like... are you sure you're ok?? However, he's fine and touch wood he's very rarely ill! His resting heart rate is usually no-where near 70 either.

Perhaps he's part lizard. :hahazebs:

That's interesting. I'm usually around 37, but my partner often reads at the low end of 35. It's not unusual that he reads high end of 34 and I've been like... are you sure you're ok?? However, he's fine and touch wood he's very rarely ill! His resting heart rate is usually no-where near 70 either.

Perhaps he's part lizard. :hahazebs:

I am 66 YO, and my temperature has been lower than the norm for most of my life. It has also dropped a little as I have aged. Now my temperature is usually 97.5F (36.4C), but last week when I was feeling bad, it was 97F (36.1C). I also have had low blood pressure my whole life, and slightly elevated resting heart rate. My doctor explained that with my low blood pressure, if my heart rate was low or even normal, I would not be conscious.

Our lizard forebears are awakening. :)

Back