• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Werewolves

many_angled_one

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
Werewolves In Scotland

I'm just wondering if anybody knows any legends or tales of werewolves in Scotland. Particularly keen to know of any in the Forres/Elgin/Nairn/Inverness region.

Always been interested in them but on Friday 14th december we were sitting outside the car near the woods in Forres at about 10pm when we heard a howl. You know the kind, the ones that strike you as being profoundly unnatural and put your hackles up on the back of your neck and start the adrenaline pumping! It sounded somewhere betwen a man doing a wolf howl and a dog or wolf howling but it definately wasn't either. It was one of those sounds that make you involuntarily shiver.

Thanks for any info you guys have!

You've given a near perfect description of a vixen in heat, tho' it's the wrong time of year.

Well if hairy palms and the behavioural traits of an animal are keypoints for finding a Werewolf i suggest you try the first and second year of Millburn Academy, Inverness. When i left in 98 that was the impression i got of the new intakes.
On a serious not i've never heard any tales of transmutation. Any tales would have to be pretty old as the wolf became ectinct in Scotland over 300 years ago.

Of course, Kelpies could change form, as could many other things associated with the Sidhe, who form pretty big part of Scottish mythology. And I believe there were some fearsome phantom hounds (The Lurcher on Lurcher's Gully, Cairngorm?) but I have heard nothing of wolves.

It does sound most like a vixen, I agree.

There's a film coming out this year, something about werewolves on an island in Scotland, can't remember any real details but i'll have a look and see if it's based on anything local.

i was thinking about this thread the other day. I suppose Selkies (seal people) are quite similar to werewolfs. In the whole changing into animals thing. Wasnt there going to be something about this in FT?

barndad said:
I suppose Selkies (seal people) are quite similar to werewolfs... Wasnt there going to be something about this in FT?
There was. FT 155, page 35.

new photos of louisiana werewolf

I stumbled accross a great site by a guy that calls himself crytokeeper u can view his website at:
http://www.cryptokeeper.com/

anyway, his site has even more pictures of the creature that is seen on Rickys website (http://come.to/ricky2002) and says that the creature was found on the side of the road in Louisiana and is thought to be a creature known to the locals as the cajun werewolf

here is a direct link to the page im talking about it has about 10 angles of the creature lying on the ground and appears to be quite large.

http://www.cryptokeeper.com/deridder.htm

Any ideas what it is? it has evidence on the page that says its definately not a dog or baboon and its feet are infact atleast 12 inches long!!

Interesting, although I'm not convinced by the graphics 'enhancement'. I could interpret the face quite differently, with a dark eye still in place.

If we had the negatives, and good blow up prints made, that would be useful. Too much 'computer analysis' is like seeing pictures in the clouds.

I agree, i would think that the creatures eye is below the lowest of this guys circles he made on his enhancement and it also looks like the eye is still in its socket. Also after looking at the picture again i doubt that the feet are 12 inces long. That would mean that the grass in the picture would need to be atleast 2 feet tall :confused:

After working with this photo with a new computer enhancing program I found the ears of the animal and the obvious eye socket. Varmints had obviously torn out the eye of the creature before the photo was taken. Noting the position and shape of the ear, the possibility of this thing being a dog (a popular but bogus theory) is certainly thrown out the window

Just a couple of thoughts,
The eye is 'definitely' below the bottom ring, as you have pointed out - but I can't make out any ear.

I think the foot does look like a paw, and I can't make out enough details to say if there are claws or not.

The object does seem to be disproportionately 'front heavy' possibly too much so for a dog (but I'm no dog expert).

Computer enhancing programs that draw green lines like that aren't enhancing anything.......

Does any body know of higher res images anywhere on the net?

Just a few thoughts on the picture.

I'm not sure about this, but it looks as if the mouth of the animal is open. It's most visible on the first photo - if you follow the line of the muzzle back towards the body, you can see what looks like teeth. This might give a clearer indication of the shape of the muzzle. I also think the eye is below the bottom ring.

The front paws of the animal are strangely hairless. This is most visible on the second and third photo. I thought this might have happened when it was killed - if it was hit by a car, but both paws seem to show this characteristic. The skin and hairs of the animal also have a very pronounced reddish tinge.

Finally, I think the back legs are more likely to be paws than feet, as they are facing the wrong way. Wouldn't you expect feet to face forward rather than backward?

It looks more like some kind of dog-like animal to me, although I can't say it looks like anything I've seen before. It's a bit big for a pomeranian!

The scale in these pictures is very confusing to me. Where the legs of a person are visible, the creature appears quite large, about St. Bernard-size as the website says. But when you lok at the grass as compared to the legs of the person and the creature itself, it doesn't make sense- the grass appears at most 6 inches tall compared to the person's legs, and to the "beast", but the "beast" looks large compared to the legs. I think this may be merely a forced perspective, used either intentionally or accidentally. To me, the creature looks like a possum, of which there are many where I live, and some can be quite dark, although most are a grayish color. I say this because of the teeth- they appear too small, too crowded, and too numerous to be any canine, and ayway, the body shape is all wrong for a dog or even a wolf. It could also be a large muskrat, which are certainly that shape and color, and are often found dead on the road in the US.

I hate to be so disappointing, but this is just my opnion, and of course I could be wrong.

sally - I'd agree that it looks as if the mouth is open (although something seems to have happened to the lower jaw) and I'd guess that the hairless red skin is impact/lying out in the sun related as you suggested.

milo - The scale is weird, Small in some photos and larger in others. As for muskrats......haven't got a flaming clue what they look like;)

Setab - off looking for Muskrats on the web.

I looked at the pics again, and they all seem to have a strong pink/red cast. It's particularly noticeable when you look at the legs of the person wearing a short in the picture. They look like overcooked steak!:D So I guess the skin and fur of the animal are probably a more normal pink or brown tone.

About the size of the animal, the text says that the white lines are approximately 6 inches wide, which seems pretty correct to me.

So the body of the animal would be around 25-30 inches long without the tail, maybe 35 inches with the tail? And the head seems about 10 inches long?
I'm basing the bodyu measurements on the third picture, which seems to show the least deformation perspective-wise, and the head measurements on the first. Feel free to give other guestimates.:)

I think we can't really take into account the height of the grass, as some grasses can grow to knee height. It's really hard to see how high the grass is compared to the people's legs, but I'd say no higher than mid-calve. That's about 11-12 inches on me.

I just looked at pics of muskrats and possums. I don't think it's either, as they both have thin, rat-like tails and this animal's tail is fluffy. Also, possums have BIG canines.

The creature seems to have been hit with a car so it would be safe to assume that it could have very well lost most of its body shape and that could explaim why it looks so strange.

I once had the misfortune to see a body on the side of the road which had been hit and killed by a car and i can tell you if your hit hard enough your body basically turns into a massive lump of play doh. If a creature such as a baboon, which is covered in hair, was hit by a car i could see the result being a creature that looks unlike anything we have seen before. To me it looks like the bottom half of the body has been removed, probably by the impact of the car so it is possible that this is a baboon or even possibly a dog. Still I would really like to think that it is a cajun werewolf :)

Is it any relation to the Shunka Warik'in? A hyena like cryptid whose name means "carrying off dogs" from the midwestern USA, which has been reported to walk occasionally on its hind legs and is thus linked to "werewolf" stories. A photo of an alleged stuffed one (specimen now lost) is at Cryptodominion website, although it looks suspiciously like an "altered" wild/feral pig (with wolf or hyena parts added).

Although a baboon sounds an unlikely identity for a creature consistently described as resembling a hyena, both giant thought-extinct baboons and giant thought-extinct hyenas have been postulated as the Nandi "bear" in east Africa, and one recent shunka warik'in report (I think at cryptozoology.com) described a dark, very shaggy animal which "ran like a monkey".

looks to me like a hunk of buffalo , I don't think the 'head' is very head like . The colour is wrong for a baboon and they are not that woolly . Either that or it is a rotten mashed up large dog , say a Newfoundland .

Loup-garou

In louisiana, i think thy call their werewolves the loup-garou, like in french, but it is a spiritual being and connected with voodoo, unlike in euroope.

I go along with Cursed: looks like a baboon. Or possibly a Ridgeback Boar.

It could be an exceptionally hairy wild pig, like an australian razorback. The real give away would be clearer pictures of the things feet and being able to contact any of the witnesses to find out if it had trotters.
But I wouldn't like to guess how it ended up on the side of the road in an american state.

To me it looks like a very unkempt standard poodle. Poor thing.

I have just been to the cinema and saw a great documentry about werewolves, called dog soldiers it showed soldiers being attacked by werewolves in the UK, this suprised me as i didnt know they exhisted.

So where in the UK can i go to see werewolves as they look like cool animals.

There are a few in inverness. Either that the local girls where out for a night on the town.

Originally posted by Peter Jenkins
So where in the UK can i go to see werewolves as they look like cool animals.

I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

His hair was perfect.

Re: Re: Werewolves

TorgosPizza said:
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's.

His hair was perfect.

How did u know it was a he? did you look up its kilt?

Back