• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Are The Most Impressive UFO Cases?

I would be very surprised if LSD could cause someone to concoct an entire imaginary episode. Yes, LSD distorts reality but I doubt that it would be powerful enough to cause someone to hallucinate to the extent required to match this man's story.

If it were LSD, investigators should have been able to go to the scene of the incident and see some prosaic object that the "tripping" person might have misinterpreted - a water tank, farm machinery or something. I just don't think he could have conjured that up from nothing at all.

Even if it were some other drug affecting his perception, you have to ask why anyone would bother to drug an old man like that. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

S

gncxx said:
Mmm, nutritious, delicious, trouser-ripping LSD...
Heh, heh...
the trouser rippage might have occured if Bob tried to climb over something, like a fence, or the bonnet of his car. But that is a problem with the belladonna hypothesis, too.

The Cracked cases are all less impressive than they first appear; the Washington radar detections were replicated a few days later by the CAA and found to be due to a temperature inversion.

The Gorman case is discussed here
http://home.comcast.net/~tprinty/UFO/balloon.htm
and seems quite likely to have been a lighted balloon of some sort.

The Chiles-Whitted case is very similar to the Zond IV reentry so may well have been a meteor.

The green fireballs were just ordinary green fireballs, Ionisation of oxygen causes many meteors and fireballs to appear green.

I don't have an explanation for the Valentich case; it is quite spooky but extraordinarily low on proof. The geezer vanished; no-one knows what happened.

The The Chiles-Whitted UFO Encounter and The Valentich Disappearance are the most compelling ones for me. Neither of them can be explained today.

Though maybe the Chiles-Whitted Encounter was with a time slip Airbus 380? :D

Here's a sketch made by one of the witnesses in the Chiles-Whitted case
CW.jpg

and here's a sketch made by one of the witnesses in the Zond IV case, which is known to have been a fireball caused by re-entering debris
Zond4.jpg

The objects in these two accounts look remarkably similar, so may have been caused by similar phenomena.

The Valentich case is one of the very few in which nobody has ever found a possible mundane explanation.
There is another type of case you don't hear much about;- maritime cases. The most notable are sightings in the Western Pacific in late 1944-1945, involving US Navy ships, sometimes whole battle groups, and thousands of crewmen. Not just one UFO either, but so many the witnesses lost count, entering or exiting the sea one after the other and sometimes for days on end.
One case involved the crew of an aircraft carrier setting up deckchairs on the flight deck to observe UFOs. Another involved a battleship which was followed by a huge UFO for about 36 hours despite bombardment with anti aircraft guns.
An American friend of mine related the story of a local policeman who, when in the US Navy in the 80s had a similar experience while his ship was grouped with several others - thousands of witnesses. Apparently when they returned to port the officers were told to keep quiet but there were so many ratings to warn that the intelligence men just didn't bother trying.
There are also accounts from sonar operators who have seen underwater objects travelling at hundreds of mph. Potential mundane explanations elude me.
This isn't just one or two witnesses seeing a light of some sort, this is thousands, seeing hundreds of (usually siver) discs over hours or even days.
Anybody remember the Swedish 'Soviet submarine' flap some years ago? The Swedish navy was much exercised by repeated sonar detections of objects in Swedish territorial waters, which would shoot off at speeds in excess of 100 knots. Soviet testing of some secret craft was blamed and there were diplomatic rumblings, but Russia denied everything and nothing has been revealed since the collapse of the regime - the incidents remain unexplained.

Interesting account of the Navy sightings - any web links per chance?

But re the "debris" - I'm sorry but I just can't buy "debris with windows". That doesn't compute.

Look at the two images I posted; the Zond re-entry image also shows windows. The witness specifically described square windows, just as in the Chiles-Whitted case.

But what did the witness actually see in the Zond IV case? Nothing more than a string of glowing particles, caused by the breakup of the Zond satellite. No square windows, no fuselage, no real structure was visible, but his mind filled them in. This effect is sometimes called the 'airship' effect, where a string of unconnected lights are peceived as being part of a larger body (often described as a cigar or airship).

I've seen this illusion myself, when Jupiter was in conjunction with Mars; someone reported that they could see a UFO in the sky, and when I looked outside I could see it too - a kind of shadowy cigar shape seemed to connect the two planets. This illuson (the airship effect) seems to be quite powerful.

I don't know why the witnesses in the Zond case (and in the Chiles-Whitted case) reported square windows- perhaps they were used to the square windows then in favour in airliners (later abandoned in favour of round windows because of structural weaknesses).

The most notable are sightings in the Western Pacific in late 1944-1945, involving US Navy ships, sometimes whole battle groups, and thousands of crewmen.
Yes; I'd like to see some links to this sort of sighting too. Sounds like retrospective reconstruction to me; people 'remembering' things decades after the event.

Am reading mark Pilkington's "Mirage men" - thoroughly recommend it.

shows radar spoofing technology has been around a long time - it brings into question all radar only UFO cases.

This is a 'possible mundane explanation', and is in fact much more plausible than imagining that his plane was scooped up like something out of Star Trek or This Island Earth

Yes, although I seem to remember his plane vanished off radar very suddenly without straying from it's original course. Other witnesses saw starnge lights in the sky that night and he wasn't flying high enough to be suffering oxygen deprivation.

The aircraft carrier case was on UFO chronicles, although I can't find it there now. the battleship case was in episode 8 of a documentary about Hinscliffe House, a haunted house in Pennsylvania, made by Roger Marsh of UFO Examiner. It was on his site and YouTube but I can't find that either now! Maybe it got a distribution deal. The owner of the house was on the battleship.
I will contact my US friend to see if the policeman ever went public with his story.

The aircraft carrier case seems like an awful lot of incident to be remembering falsely without actually being completely delusional.

Bigfoot73 said:
The aircraft carrier case seems like an awful lot of incident to be remembering falsely without actually being completely delusional.
If 'thousands of crew members' saw these things, we would have thousands of accounts, not a vague reference on a sensationalised tv programme. I would suggest that if these crews saw anything, it was nothing more than a meteor show seen from the vantage point of a pitch-black ocean. Now that's something I'd quite like to see, myself.

Bigfoot73 said:
Yes, although I seem to remember his plane vanished off radar very suddenly without straying from it's original course.
Curiously, I can't find any accounts relating to the radar tracking, except the Wikipedia account which says 'at no time was the aircraft plotted on radar' but I am a little reluctant to take this as gospel.

The aircraft carrier crew were told to keep quiet, and the vast majority of sightings go unreported anyway. They couldn't call home on mobiles then and the term UFO hadn't been invented.
UFO Chronicles is a website.
These were daytime sightings and meteors don't come out of the sea.
I can't find any reference to the radar monitoring now either. It seems strange that there wouldn't be any - several reports say the government has been less than helpful, and suspect some covert military test may have been responsible. Perhaps this is the case, and the radar records are being witheld.

Bigfoot73 said:
The aircraft carrier crew were told to keep quiet, and the vast majority of sightings go unreported anyway. They couldn't call home on mobiles then and the term UFO hadn't been invented.
Ah, so it is. I can't find the incident(s)you are referring to, however; these thousands of witnesses you mention seem remarkably elusive. Anyone can claim that an incident was seen by thousands of witnesses, but if only a couple come forward to give account, the claim seems a little unreliable.

Sometimes another effect can be noticed in mass sightings- only the lowest quality accounts, with the least resemblance to the original events, are reported (or repeated). This effect can be seen with many lantern reports- most people know exactly what they are, but the papers aren't interested in that.

There are a lot of factors which could have contributed to the obscurity of these sightings. for one thing if they were told to keep quiet by their commanders the witnesses might well assume the discs were some US secret weapon , and that they really could end up in big trouble for talking. The media would have been restricted in what they could publish by wartime censorship, and in pre-"UFO" days might just have thought the sailors had been brewing their own hooch. In 1944/5 a lot of silver discs coming out of the sea was just that - weird , inexplicable and that was that. Cameras might well have been banned, and in those days were big clunky things that would have been hard to conceal. When the UFO issue started getting to be big news the press would have wanted hot new stories with more reader-appeal than something that happened years ago thousands of miles away.
Then of course there is always good old apathy: I still maintain the object I saw on Christmas Day was not a lantern and unlikely to have been some secret MoD/Pentagon prototoype, but if I wasn't already on FTMB I wouldn't have joined up just to report it. For all my rantings and ravings at the time nothing came of it, and the current climate is far more UFO-friendly than 65 years ago.
I can't find the reoprts on UFO Chronicles either now I come to look, and I'm beginning to think that they were elsewhere. Which brings me to the memory issue: once you start forgetting the finer details it's harder to make a convincing case. However I don't think the weaknesses of memory would lead people to start making things up

Yes, it is interesting. Kevin Randle now thinks the Chiles-Whitted case is solved. Perhaps there is hope for historical investigations into classic cases after all.

It is my belief that if enough information could be found then every case could be solved like this. This is the future of UFO investigation; finding the answers to old cases and explaining the new ones. There's no need for an extraterrestrial hypothesis any more.

Examples of reentries of spacecraft and big meteor falls :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvfANdWKJio&amp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oBTzbKx0jo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cajfFtu_QPA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tixV-oYH ... re=related (what looks like debris is seen in the tail)
One of the main features of re-entries or meteors is that debris are divergent, and do not follow a pattern of stable position. This puts seriously into doubt Randle's explanation of Chilles-Whitead case.
(Although unexpectedly, he rose an interesting question relating to the absence of reported meteorite in Kecksburg. Timothy Printy confirms that the meteor did not go to Kecksburg, meteorite hunters did not know of the instance. But then, what fell there ? ).

My non-exhaustive list of interesting cases :
A number of cases from the 1954 wave, notably Quarouble (10.9.1954, a second sighting on 10.10.54), Chabeuil (26.9.54), Rosa Lotti's CE3.

Lubbock, the Washington wave and Sonny Desverger's CE2 from 1952, Fort Monmouth (10.9.1951), RB-47 case (17.7.1957), Father Gill, Exeter, Levelland, Gary Wilcox's CE3 (24.4.1964).
Delphos (2.11.1971), Valensole (1.7.1965), Trans-en-Provence (8.1.1981), Dr X CE2 (29.10.1968)
Pascagoula, Socorro etc...

eburacum said:
Bigfoot73 said:
Ah, so it is. I can't find the incident(s)you are referring to, however; these thousands of witnesses you mention seem remarkably elusive.
That few would speak is not impossible. In a time of war, the military usually obey to their patriotic duty. Years later, there were the JANAP 146 regulations, and they were dissuasive.
I remember reading in The X-Files Book of the Unexplained that Chris Carter reported the story of a 'friend' who had told him that when he served as a military crewman, he and most of the crew had seen a UFO. They were warned not to report it to the public, or they would face serious consequences. Nothing implausible there : their comanding officers would simply follow the rules.

Analis said:
One of the main features of re-entries or meteors is that debris are divergent, and do not follow a pattern of stable position. This puts seriously into doubt Randle's explanation of Chilles-Whitead case.
I would agree, except for the very similar sketch originating from the Zond IV case. This is the 'proof', if you like, that a meteor string can be misinterpreted as an object with windows. They both have the strange 'square window' perception as well, which is perceptually intriguing. This suggests to me that an observer tries to 'shoehorn' his or her perceptions into a preconceived idea, which may not resemble the actual observation closely.

The Zond 4 example may illustrate the effect you mention above : among a hundred witnesses, notably if they are influenced by investigators or media expectations, there is a high probability that one or two will be prone to exaggerate, consciously or not, to make their sighting look more extraordinary. But in the Chilles-Whitead case, we had only two witnesses. It is unlikely that both would modify their perceptions to fit a rocket. And as far as I know, we have no reason to suspect they were enthusiasts, who were expecting to see a UFO.

Actually there was another pair of witnesses, also aircrew flying a plane, who saw an 'unusual meteor' at approximately 0230. This was within 15 minutes of the Chiles-Whitted sighting, and quite possibly simultaneous with their observation. If so then the meteor identification seems very likely. Or it may have been part of the same shower.

One aspect of the case that screams 'meteor' to me is the description of the lights 'inside' the 'object', described as 'like burning magnesium'. Unless the crew of this spaceship were all busily burning magnesium in there, or maybe doing a spot of welding, it seems more likely that these were not internal lights in a spacecraft or aircraft at all. A burning meteor seems much more likely to explain such bizarre lights than a flying welder's convention.

If it took place really at 15 mn from the Chilles-Whithead, it couldn't be the same thing (although I suppose it could be argued the timing was imprecise, or that there was a shower as you suggest). It may seem spurious to suppose that the closeness of a UFO sighting with a meteor fall doesn't necessarily mean the two are related. But it wouldn't be the only time sightings of UFOs happened close to a meteor or a re-entry.
For example, there is a similar controversy with the wave of sightings above France and Southern Germany on 5th November 1990. There certainly was a re-entry this night, and many witnesses reported it. But some sightings retained only a very vague likeness to a re-entry, and it was dubious it could account for them. And others, about 40 of them, retained no likeness at all and could not be related to it, no matter how distorted the report could be.

eburacum said:
Actually there was another pair of witnesses, also aircrew flying a plane, who saw an 'unusual meteor' at approximately 0230.

Or maybe they mistook an alien craft for an "unusual meteor". ;)

You can argue this both ways!

Analis said:
For example, there is a similar controversy with the wave of sightings above France and Southern Germany on 5th November 1990. There certainly was a re-entry this night, and many witnesses reported it. But some sightings retained only a very vague likeness to a re-entry, and it was dubious it could account for them.
Here's a very good analysis of the 5/11/1990 case.
http://www.ufonet.nl/nieuws/tornado/index2.html
From that page

The human eye has the natural tendency to see points of light observed against a uniformly dark background as if they are interconnected [11][12], giving the illusion that they form a single entity. For this optical effect to have created such an illusion was almost inevitable. Besides, the brilliance of the lights in conjunction with such good visibility could create the impression that the lights were very much closer than was the case in reality. During their observations, the pilots did not notice anything that could have broken this illusion.
The pilots' expectations probably played a role as well. In the communications, we hear them speculating about which type of aircraft they are seeing. That is to say, they expected their observation to have been an aircraft. Pilots are trained to notice and observe aircraft, and this illuminated debris created the illusion of a passing plane with lights, as described above.

This case is extraordinarily good, as it shows just how very large the range of descriptions can be from a single event. I think we can say with a high degree of confidence that effectively all the witnesses in Europe who reported a UFO that night actually saw this re-entry, but they describe a wide range of different things. This demonstrates conclusively that eyewitness reports are very, very unreliable.
And others, about 40 of them, retained no likeness at all and could not be related to it, no matter how distorted the report could be.
That is not what happened here; this is a good demonstration of just how distorted accounts can get, and an exemplary case which should be carefully examined by those who place blind faith in eyewitness reports.

No extraterrestrial spacecraft appeared in the sky that night- but an Earthly one did, and was reported in many, very different, and highly distorted ways.

eburacum said:
From that page
The human eye has the natural tendency to see points of light observed against a uniformly dark background as if they are interconnected [11][12], giving the illusion that they form a single entity. For this optical effect to have created such an illusion was almost inevitable.

Yes, but that doesn't explain how the sky can be blackened, as in Phoenix in 1997. Aaa, but yes, the same effect which according to you was responsible for the sighting reported by a poster on another thread. Despite that he repeated that he had no secret wish to see a UFO, you stubbornly repeated that he couldn't see the stars, despite that he expected to see them. Just because. Usually, PSHers say that witnesses see things because they want to see them. Now, they don't see them because they expect to see them !
And there :
eburacum said:
Besides, the brilliance of the lights in conjunction with such good visibility could create the impression that the lights were very much closer than was the case in reality. During their observations, the pilots did not notice anything that could have broken this illusion.
what are we supposed to understand ? That the shape of the lights of a re-entry makes the object look smaller, I suppose ? Then when witnesses report a big object, covering part of the sky, that's because of the same effect that makes it look smaller ?

eburacum said:
This demonstrates conclusively that eyewitness reports are very, very unreliable.

According to people who know that it is not true, as they use them any time it suits them. And who never tried to petition the science establishment or the legal system that they shoudn't be taken into considerration anymore. Well, if a small motorcycle can be confused with a big truck coming from a completely different direction, there would be an urgency. They shouldn't be taken them seriously as long as they don't do that.

eburacum said:
This case is extraordinarily good, as it shows just how very large the range of descriptions can be from a single event. I think we can say with a high degree of confidence that effectively all the witnesses in Europe who reported a UFO that night actually saw this re-entry, but they describe a wide range of different things.
That is not what happened here; this is a good demonstration of just how distorted accounts can get, and an exemplary case which should be carefully examined by those who place blind faith in eyewitness reports.

No. The conclusion that other phenomena were involved was reached by all open-minded investigators. Like Robert Allessandri, who made a conclusive study on the trajectory of the re-entry, but concluded that a number of cases did not seem to relate to it.
They were detailed notably by Joël Mesnard in issues of Lumières dans la Nuit, and Franck Marie in his book 400 Ovnis sur la France (I do not agree that there were 400 ufos above France). Inquiries were not only the work of amateurs, but used all tools available to investigators, like triangulation. Engineer Claude Lavat used it to estimate that his own sighting would have been 15 km wide if it happened at an altitude of 110 km. The sightings took place often around 19.00, sometimes in a similar direction. But with features inconsistent with the reentry ; not vaguely, but definitely inconsistent. Like : shape bearing no likeness to a re-entry ; hiding stars sometimes on a huge distance ; fixed lights relating to each other ; above witnesses despite that it took place at a great distance from the re-entry, up to hundreds of kilometers (including above the sea, west of Britanny) ; different direction ; changing direction, sometimes more than once ; below clouds etc...

A small selection of some of those sightings, definitely unrelated to the re-entry, at appro. the same time (there were others before and after) :

In Cuhem, near Calais, 375 km from the reentry, around 18.45, a number of witnesses sighted a gigantic isoceles triangle, emitting beams seemingly searching the ground. After ten minutes, it abruptly departed towards the sky, at an incredible speed.
In Montreuil-Juigné, in the West, a witness looking opposite to the re-entry saw a complex group of lights, so wide that it covered almost the whole sky.
Near Cahors and Sauzet (no confusion possible, the witness looked in the opposite direction), at 19.00, a driver saw a gigantic flatened beam covered with lights, with three 'reactors', moving, then stationary (the driver stopped to look at it at only a few tens of meters), moving again after a few minutes and vanished (lasting at least ten minutes). If the time and direction were appro. the same, it was 200 km to the west. The witness noted a 'Oz effect'.
Around 19.00, near Périgueux, a woman saw a rectangle delineated by fixed lights, with two trails, moving from west to east. Triangulation (using buildings as marks) established that it was close to the ground. A comparison with another witness, who was staring from the opposite direction in the same town, established that it was just above Périgueux, at 100 km from the re-entery.
In Gretz-Armainvilliers (east of Paris), around 19.00, Jean-Gabriel Greslé, a former pilot with a long interest in UFOs (no, that does not make him a cook), with seven other witnesses, saw a pillar punctuated with lights, hundreds of meters long, which plunged to the ground, changed direction many times, and ascended into a cloud.
Near Vert-le-Grand (Paris region), around 19.15, a driver saw a huge dark cylinder, tens of meters long, narrower at the front end, emitting beams, close to the ground, between two electric pylons.
In Trappes (west of Paris), around 19.00, two teenagers saw a triangle coming from the east-south-east, stopped and remained stationery above them for about 1 mn, and then departing to the south-east. Its sides were 20 to 30 m long.
In Villavard (east of Le Mans), around 19.15, a farmer saw a group of lights coming from the south-south-west, then performing a complete curve and moving to the east.
In Neuilly-sur-Marnes (Paris region), at 18.55, a witness saw above his flat a huge triangle covered with lights, stationery for three to four minutes, before it moved away to the east.
Near Neufgrange in Lorraine, at 19.03, a driver spotted on a left, at tree's height, a dark sphere, with a rank of 'windows' around its equator. It was first stationary, then seemed to follow the car, when a group of luminous objects plunged from the sky, surrounded it and merged with it.
Etc etc...

SkepticalX said:
Back on page one of this thread, Crossetti mentioned the Cash Landrum case. I always thought that it would be interesting to find the young boy who allegedly slept through the entire event. He's in his 30s by now - might be very revealing to get his take on the whole incident.

One case that doesn't get mentioned much any more is the 1957 Levelland, Texas sightings:

http://www.planet-flipside.com/index.ph ... -levelland

They just don't make UFO sightings like that anymore. It leads me to suspect that, whatever we called UFOs 40, 50 or 60 years ago are now gone.

S

Colby (?) is in his late 30's. He recently did an interview for the "UFO Hunters" show on the History Channel. I saw it a few months ago - to this day he is sticking to the original story.

Back