• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Was It?

A

Anonymous

:eek:
I live in the eastern mountain region of Tennessee in the USA. I work second shift at a factory in a town about 25 miles away. I have to drive over a mountain to and from work. I usually don't start for home until at least 12:30 am. We don't all get out at the same time, so sometimes I'm the only one on the highway coming over the mountain.

On night during the winter of 2003/2004 I was coming across the mountain. There are quite a few houses along the way, and a lot of them have outside lights on all night long, so it's not like it's pitch black. Anyway, I was coming down a straight stretch of highway when I saw a man on the side of the road on my right walking toward me. He was wearing a light colored shirt with dark pants. As I got closer to him, he suddenly turned his back toward me and bent over. I slowed down quite a bit and went toward the center of the highway as I was about to pass him. When I got close to him, I saw that this person was now a huge dog and he peered around to look at me as I passed. This "thing" had a long snout and large teeth like a dog or wolf and was sort of grinning at me. I passed it and tried to look in my rear view mirror at it, but couldn't see anything. I was flabbergasted and couldn't believe what I saw. I've gone over and over in my mind ever since trying to figure out what I actually saw. Has anyone else seen such a thing? Is this possible or did I have a hallucination?

:confused:

sandyl said:
:eek:
I live in the eastern mountain region of Tennessee in the USA. I work second shift at a factory in a town about 25 miles away. I have to drive over a mountain to and from work. I usually don't start for home until at least 12:30 am. We don't all get out at the same time, so sometimes I'm the only one on the highway coming over the mountain.

On night during the winter of 2003/2004 I was coming across the mountain. There are quite a few houses along the way, and a lot of them have outside lights on all night long, so it's not like it's pitch black. Anyway, I was coming down a straight stretch of highway when I saw a man on the side of the road on my right walking toward me. He was wearing a light colored shirt with dark pants. As I got closer to him, he suddenly turned his back toward me and bent over. I slowed down quite a bit and went toward the center of the highway as I was about to pass him. When I got close to him, I saw that this person was now a huge dog and he peered around to look at me as I passed. This "thing" had a long snout and large teeth like a dog or wolf and was sort of grinning at me. I passed it and tried to look in my rear view mirror at it, but couldn't see anything. I was flabbergasted and couldn't believe what I saw. I've gone over and over in my mind ever since trying to figure out what I actually saw. Has anyone else seen such a thing? Is this possible or did I have a hallucination?

:confused:

A werewolf? Or, on the other hand, where you really tired from work? Maybe you saw a person, then a dog and your mind kinda filled the in between spaces.

Onix has a point. When you're very tired the mind plays tricks, were you deeply fatigued.

If not, well you never know...

Yup, a few years ago I was driving alone down a remote road late at night, and saw a giant dog standing at a junction ahead. As I drew nearer it turned into a car. :D

I was tired and stressed and probably shouldn't have been driving.

Funny that the thing I 'miss-saw' was a huge dog though, as that's exactly what a lot of peeps appear to encounter in that situation.

sandyl's experience might have been a Dogheaded Man sighting, though. :eek:

early one morning i was a passenger in a car travelling from london to yorkshire, both myself and the driver had been up most of the night. i said i would keep awake to talk all the way so she would not nod off at the wheel, i clearly remember seeing a dog dashing about the middle lane of the m1, blinked and it was gone.
also a mate of mine who was a long-distance lorry driver told me of seeing monkeys throwing barrels around on the back og a flatbed truck in front of him, obviously due to fatigue

Why Animals???

Experienced this myself, after setting out ( as the passenger) on a 3 hour car journey on a Friday night following a 9 hour stint at work. Trying to stay awake and make intelligent conversation I was rather suprised as we approached a flyover just out side Northampton to see a gigantic ( 12 foot ) Gorilla in king kong chest beating pose standing by the side of the road!!! Only as we drew level and after a bit of eye rubbing it morphed into waht it really was I.E a combination of Road sign, speed camera and small bush with a black bag caught in it!!!

following conversation went.... "You OK?.... Errrr I think so but you wouldnt belive this.......

Mr P

LoL.... Of course it was

unless there ARE 12 foot gorillas walking round Northamptonshire at night. In which case I claim the first sighting :p

What I mean is while the brain & eyes misinterpreting infomation in to some thing else entirely, is fairly well documented on these boards why does it seem to keep giving us Barrel chucking monkeys or inded gigantic Gorrilas for preference?

Mr P

I saw a severed head by the side of a country road turned out it was an empty tin of paint.....or was it the other way around?
Getting back to the original post.Could have been a shapeshifter.

There was a recent FT article that would seem to relate to this - research seems to indicate that we can sometimes misinterpret mundane things as dangerous animals ( in the article it was big cats , but i suppose large dogs / wolves or gorillas would count - I would find them threatening in the flesh ! ) as we're still " hard-wired " to keep a look out for predators .
Don't know how it relates to barrel throwing monkeys though !

I agree. I often thought I saw dogs or wolves as a child, which turned out to be inanimate objects.

I also used to be terrified of gorillas.

good point cornelius
hard wired alarm bell in the noodle would account for these type things

barrel throwing monkeys goes back to the aborigines dream time...as it happens I had a dream about a gorilla last night

What is an hallucination anyway? Could it be simply a different and momentary 'way of seeing'?

Years ago, a friend drove considerable distance at night. When he arrived at his destination, he revealed (after refreshment and polite chat) that during a certain point in his journey (most of which was long stretches of bush-lined highway) he'd seen 'creatures' in the long grass and shrubs at the side of the road. He said they looked like little animals; cartoonish type animals, but had terrified him. Took a lot to scare him; he was a real lion-heart. But he'd been far too afraid to stop the car to take a closer look. Apparently the experience caused him to repeat childhood prayers for several hours during the drive.

Some years ago was driving along a wide, curved stretch of highway through a major tourist resort. It was just before noon; bright clear sunlight, several cars approaching me from the opposite direction; sky-scrapers less than half kilometre away. Everything absolutely normal. Walking casually along the side of the road, slightly ahead, was a long haired youth; no shirt, just wearing jeans. Seconds later, when I was only a couple of car-lengths from him, he suddenly swung around to face me, his body lowering to a semi-crouch and his features twisted in an animal grimace. He thrust his arms out in front of him in a clawing motion. As I passed directly by him, he stared into my eyes for a split second; his own face contorted. It was so sudden and unexpected that I remained shocked for several minutes. 'Why me?' I thought afterwards. It was as if he'd waited until the last minute before swinging around at me, in order to maximise the shock. Another car had passed him a minute or so before I, but he hadn't done anything to that driver.

Just as difficult to understand was an experience which occurred around the same time. We were at my brother's 35th birthday party. Mid-evening, my husband threw a hissy-fit; something he was prone to after too much alcohol. He stormed from the house and down the long drive-way, muttering and shouting to himself like a child. Allowing him five minutes to get it off his chest, I next gathered the children, said goodbye to the party-goers and set off along the road in the car, my intention being to pick my husband up along the way. My brother's house was on the bank of a river, so to get to the main road, I first had to cross an old bridge. Once on the main road, the children and I scanned the road ahead, fully expecting to see my husband at any moment. Finally, we saw him some distance ahead, lit by streetlights, walking in the centre of the road. It was him alright; no-one else walked like that. When under the influence, he walked with his legs splayed out, like a baby in a wet nappy. It was a comical effect, because he was about six foot two, thin as a drainpipe and had legs like a spider. He'd been putting off getting his hair cut and we could see the straggly bits at the back and the weird way it stuck out at the sides. He was also distinctive in that his head was small in proportion to his body.

We drew closer and I slowed the car down so that we were just behind him. It *was* him; he was wearing the check shirt I'd ironed earlier in the night, and was wearing the trousers I hated; pale blue, no pleats, bulging pockets and a bit too tight. When he didn't bother even to turn around to acknowledge the children and me, I drove until we were abreast of him. By this time, he was right alongside us; the children were pressed up against the windows, expecting him to turn and laugh and get into the car. But he didn't look at us and just kept up his stiff legged, wet-nappy idiocy. This went on for a bit and by this time I was fed up with him. The children had already been made anxious by his stupid storming out of the party, but it seemed he was determined to continue his childish behaviour, even in front of the children. So I leaned across the passenger seat and said through the window to him; 'Either you get in the car right now, or we're going home without you.'

At that point, he turned to look at us. His face was cold; expressionless. It took me what felt like several seconds to realize that although it was *almost* him, it was not him. It was someone else who was obviously almost an exact double of him. The children seemed to reach the same realisation at the same time and turned to look at me, shock on their faces. I suddenly felt very frightened and stepped on the accelerator. As we pulled away, I looked in the rear vision mirror to see him still stalking stiff legged down the centre of the road. Neither the children nor I could really believe what had just happened.

He turned up hours later. Next morning I asked him how he'd made his way home, because there was really only one road he could have taken, and we'd left only minutes after he had, yet hadn't passed him -- apart from his 'double'. He replied that he'd taken the same road as the children and me. I asked if he'd seen us drive past him. He was very vague and didn't seem able to remember. The children and I have discussed it since they've grown up. None of us has an explanation for what happened. We often comment on how awful it would have been if the man we'd seen had got into the car with us. But the truly awful part is ... the kids and I tend to the belief that the man we saw *was* my husband, but that his face had 'changed' in some subtle way; that he had become 'someone else'. We're divorced now. He was a bit weird.

sandyl said:
As I got closer to him, he suddenly turned his back toward me and bent over.

This suggest to me that he put on a mask to play a trick on a passing motorist. Could what you saw have been a realistic rubber mask?

Sandyl:

I believe you saw a "haint" of some kind. For some reason the mountainous regions of Tennesse, Kentucky and the Virginias are a hotspot for this kind of activity. I've seen a couple myself and talked to others who've had the experience.

Too many dead sober, alert people have seen such things for them to be brushed off as hallucinations.

My grandpaw always carried a little salt in his pocket when traveling the Kentucky hills and byways at night. Said it kept you safe for haints and such. Might not be a bad idea.

Yes, it very well could have been a mask, as he was still wearing the clothes he had when I first saw him. It could have been a teenage boy playing tricks, but it was so unnerving at the time!

finehair said:
What is an hallucination anyway? Could it be simply a different and momentary 'way of seeing'?

Years ago, a friend drove considerable distance at night. When he arrived at his destination, he revealed (after refreshment and polite chat) that during a certain point in his journey (most of which was long stretches of bush-lined highway) he'd seen 'creatures' in the long grass and shrubs at the side of the road. He said they looked like little animals; cartoonish type animals, but had terrified him. Took a lot to scare him; he was a real lion-heart. But he'd been far too afraid to stop the car to take a closer look. Apparently the experience caused him to repeat childhood prayers for several hours during the drive.

Some years ago was driving along a wide, curved stretch of highway through a major tourist resort. It was just before noon; bright clear sunlight, several cars approaching me from the opposite direction; sky-scrapers less than half kilometre away. Everything absolutely normal. Walking casually along the side of the road, slightly ahead, was a long haired youth; no shirt, just wearing jeans. Seconds later, when I was only a couple of car-lengths from him, he suddenly swung around to face me, his body lowering to a semi-crouch and his features twisted in an animal grimace. He thrust his arms out in front of him in a clawing motion. As I passed directly by him, he stared into my eyes for a split second; his own face contorted. It was so sudden and unexpected that I remained shocked for several minutes. 'Why me?' I thought afterwards. It was as if he'd waited until the last minute before swinging around at me, in order to maximise the shock. Another car had passed him a minute or so before I, but he hadn't done anything to that driver.

Just as difficult to understand was an experience which occurred around the same time. We were at my brother's 35th birthday party. Mid-evening, my husband threw a hissy-fit; something he was prone to after too much alcohol. He stormed from the house and down the long drive-way, muttering and shouting to himself like a child. Allowing him five minutes to get it off his chest, I next gathered the children, said goodbye to the party-goers and set off along the road in the car, my intention being to pick my husband up along the way. My brother's house was on the bank of a river, so to get to the main road, I first had to cross an old bridge. Once on the main road, the children and I scanned the road ahead, fully expecting to see my husband at any moment. Finally, we saw him some distance ahead, lit by streetlights, walking in the centre of the road. It was him alright; no-one else walked like that. When under the influence, he walked with his legs splayed out, like a baby in a wet nappy. It was a comical effect, because he was about six foot two, thin as a drainpipe and had legs like a spider. He'd been putting off getting his hair cut and we could see the straggly bits at the back and the weird way it stuck out at the sides. He was also distinctive in that his head was small in proportion to his body.

We drew closer and I slowed the car down so that we were just behind him. It *was* him; he was wearing the check shirt I'd ironed earlier in the night, and was wearing the trousers I hated; pale blue, no pleats, bulging pockets and a bit too tight. When he didn't bother even to turn around to acknowledge the children and me, I drove until we were abreast of him. By this time, he was right alongside us; the children were pressed up against the windows, expecting him to turn and laugh and get into the car. But he didn't look at us and just kept up his stiff legged, wet-nappy idiocy. This went on for a bit and by this time I was fed up with him. The children had already been made anxious by his stupid storming out of the party, but it seemed he was determined to continue his childish behaviour, even in front of the children. So I leaned across the passenger seat and said through the window to him; 'Either you get in the car right now, or we're going home without you.'

At that point, he turned to look at us. His face was cold; expressionless. It took me what felt like several seconds to realize that although it was *almost* him, it was not him. It was someone else who was obviously almost an exact double of him. The children seemed to reach the same realisation at the same time and turned to look at me, shock on their faces. I suddenly felt very frightened and stepped on the accelerator. As we pulled away, I looked in the rear vision mirror to see him still stalking stiff legged down the centre of the road. Neither the children nor I could really believe what had just happened.

He turned up hours later. Next morning I asked him how he'd made his way home, because there was really only one road he could have taken, and we'd left only minutes after he had, yet hadn't passed him -- apart from his 'double'. He replied that he'd taken the same road as the children and me. I asked if he'd seen us drive past him. He was very vague and didn't seem able to remember. The children and I have discussed it since they've grown up. None of us has an explanation for what happened. We often comment on how awful it would have been if the man we'd seen had got into the car with us. But the truly awful part is ... the kids and I tend to the belief that the man we saw *was* my husband, but that his face had 'changed' in some subtle way; that he had become 'someone else'. We're divorced now. He was a bit weird.

Yikes! The fact he was drunk and could have been trying to pull some sort of weird face is a possibility, but the fact you were all creeped out by it is interesting. Perhaps you saw a reflection of his "inner" self, he doesn't sound like a very nice chap so perhaps you saw that from the outside or something.

Finehair - your husband may have been one of those people who have blackouts while drunk. When this occurs, people just work on auto-pilot, and they don't interact with people like their normal selves.
So, it probably was him - but with his personality stripped away...

Finehair, you mentioned that you thought your husband's face had changed somehow and it was suggested that it might be a reflection of the inner self.
When my youngest started school she used to play with one of the little girls ,and her mother and I became quite friendly. One day we were having a cup of tea and chatting away when I looked at her and she had changed. Her hair was still dark but parted in the middle, her nose longer, her eyes dark and cruel. She had a breastplate with a large star on it. I was dunbfounded and asked her if she had changed her hairstyle, She laughed and said she hadn't and then I blinked and she was back to her usual self.
I felt rather uneasy after this and after I saw the way her daughter closed up when her mother came to collect her from my house, and the way she took delight if someone met with any misfortune, I tried to distance myself from her. It was as if I could see what she was really like.

Isis ... a breastplate and star ! That really does bear some thinking about, doesn't it. Our little lives are like a sheet of thin ice above all we don't know or understand. And almost everyone you speak with has a similarly odd experience tucked away in memory. That's the beauty of these forums; you learn so much that people ordinarily wouldn't mention, face to face. Older people are a fund of odd and unusual recollection. I used to work in a job which required me to telephone several dozen elderly people daily, and they had some amazing stories. Few of them had formed any conclusion about their experience; but they had never forgotten them.

Apart from the account above, I've experienced two other 'face change' people; both were horrid experiences. One was so shocking, I had no recollection of it for about 10 or 12 years, until it suddenly burst back into my conscious memory while I was having a normal conversation. I immediately burst into tears. After that, I pushed it from my mind; told myself it couldn't be true and must have been a bad dream or just 'imagination'. Thirteen years later again, out of the blue, my brother related an identical experience in connection with the same 'face change' individual. In fact, when he began to describe the 'face change', I finished off the description for him. We'd never discussed it before. After that, we each had to accept that our separate experience of the face-change individual had actually occurred. Like me, until having his experience confirmed by me (and vice versa), my brother had told himself it was a dream or 'imagination'. Neither of us was happy that we'd confirmed each other's experience. We didn't discuss it in depth, because it was too horrible. But we agreed that the individual in question was probably unaware their face changed.

Finehair,it sounds like you were freaked out by these other incidents but like a reporter following an ambulance let me be first in requesting a full account of the ghastly affair

My uncle, was cautioned once by a teacher in matrial arts about meditating in front of a mirror, as one can ' see ' not just your face, but all of you change into something frankly disturbing. I must get hold of him and ask for the full story again, I can't remember all the details.

To Dana: I believe a "haint" is supposed to be an evil spirit or ghost. Not sure, though.:eek!!!!:

Leth -- I believe it. There's a post; 'What Scares You'. In my post, I said I was scared at the thought of looking into a mirror ... only to find someone else staring back at me. I don't know when it started, but at some point in my life I began deliberately not looking up into the bathroom mirror while brushing my teeth or washing my face. Sometimes it's ok and the thought doesn't even enter my head and I'm able to look, but at others, after rinsing my face I close my eyes and just grope for the towel, making sure not to look in the mirror. I wonder if other people ever do that, for the same reason? I have no idea when I developed this weird fear, because I didn't have it years ago.

Meditation books warn about being distracted by 'things'. That's why I've never done much meditating. The books tell you that at some point, as you progress in meditative techniques, you will see creatures, monsters, entities, etc, but to ignore them, brush them aside and not allow yourself to be distracted by them. Distracted ? I think I'd have a heart attack if I saw them ! Yet they're supposed to be a normal part of meditation ! If it's so common that's it's mentioned in basic mediation books -- why is there any question that these things exist ?

Hope your boyfriend can shed more light on this anyway, because I'd be interested to know more about it.

Sorry Lethe -- I should have said I hope your uncle (not boyfriend) can provide more information

Now that I've thought about this, I believe that he was actually walking on all fours like an animal when he peered around at me. He was not just bent over, but walking on all fours. This is what really unnerved me.

Milk ... the face change individual seen on separate occasions by my brother and me (unknown to each other for many, many years) was a close family member.

After the experience, my brother began wetting the bed, began failing at school, was subject to terrifying nightmares that my sister and I had to struggle to wake him from, and suffered other problems. At the time, we didn't know why all this was happening to him. I became suicidal, without apparent reason. Our other sibling did not share our experience of the 'face change' family member, apparently.

My brother and I later discovered we'd shared a nearly identical situation. We had both approached the family member in normal fashion. Both events took place in normal daylight; there was no indication of anything out of the ordinary. In my brother's case, the family member in question was seated at a table, her face resting on her arms (her face was thus hidden from view). She was making a strange noise; my brother could not tell if she was laughing softly or crying. He approached her in some concern, asking what was wrong. She did not reply. When he was right next to her and in the process of leaning down to give her a pat on the back to comfort her, she suddenly raised her head, her face inches from his. That's when he saw the face.

In my case, the individual had her back to me and was stirring something in a saucepan at the stove. She was not making any sound. I approached her, talking as I went. She remained still and continued what she was doing. She did not reply to me. Her face was in profile and half obscured by her hair. I thought she hadn't heard me, so I went even closer and just as I leaned close in towards her to repeat what I'd just said into her ear, she suddenly swung her face directly into mine; inches from mine.

The face seen by my brother and I on these occasions defies description or at least cannot be adequately described in words. It was as if another face was superimposed upon hers or was 'behind' or inside hers. That still does nothing towards describing what it was like. Her face seemed to be moving backwards and forwards, getting larger until it blocked everything else from my vision. The mouth was truly horrifying, but not in a 'horror movie' way. It was a combination of evil grimace, laugh, grin -- you could see *all* the teeth. The eyes were more than eyes; very shiny, very intense -- seemed to enter into you; paralyse your mind. They were wild, not really human; more than human, far more powerful. I'm laspsing into child-speak I notice. Just impossible to describe it. Suffice to say the thing, whatever it was, was very powerful, arrogantly so, and wicked. It was well aware of how hideous and terrifying it was; it enjoyed it. I think I must have fainted.

My brother and I, all those years later, with our children playing in the next room, each attempted to imitate the face to show the other what we'd seen. -- in order to find out if it was what the other had seen. We were unable to in any way capture the sheer horror of it, but when I saw my brother stretch back his mouth and focus his eyes on mine, in an approximation of the face he'd seen, I couldn't bear to look any longer and had to turn away and cover my eyes. He reacted similarly when I attempted to imitate the face, to show him. There's no way to describe it or imitate it. The nearest description would be 'demonic possession', but to accept that would be to automatically accept a lot of other things, and I'm not sure I do.

The face-change individual was not a 'trick of the light', was not just fooling around, was not 'imagination'. Someone or something was inside the individual; was using the individual to assault me and my brother, in a way that would destroy our minds. I have no doubt at all about that. I'm unable to offer any explanation for who or what it was. I remember nothing more after seeing the face looming at me and did not even remember the event for many years afterwards. My brother however, said he had always remembered it, as far as he's aware, although he has never had any recollection of what happened immediately after the attack happened. He doesn't know if he ran out of the house -- he has no idea what he did.

When I get up to use the rest room at night I can't take more than glance into the mirror because I'm sure if I look at my reflection for very long it will gradually change and look evil. Of course, I find my face a bit scary anyway.

I've never seen anyone's face change in "real" life but when I was young I had a dream in which I glanced over to my mother to see she had suddenly turned into a roaring monster and was about to attack just before I woke up. Years later when I saw the scene with Zelda in the movie Pet Semetary I had to leave the room, heart pumping like mad, because the physical appearance of that character reminded me of the way my mother looked in that dream. Of course that movie didn't come out 'till about a decade after I had my dream.

In case anyone's wondering my mother is not evil in any way. I guess I picked up on some anger she was feeling at the time which showed up in the dream.

Back