• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What Were YOUR Erroneous Childhood Beliefs?

drjbrennan said:
Kids I teach, a great number of them believe that men have one rib less than women.

May I ask what backward piece of soil you teach on?

I was just thinking of this before finding this thread, whilst watching Transporter II...

When I was something like 6 or 7 I have the distinct recollection of someone specifically telling me that, for scenes where actors get shot, they find some poor sap who wants to commit suicide and shoot him instead.

I had a friend tell me that headbangers got their name because they banged their heads against walls in time with the music and some people had died as a result of deliberately smashing their brains out after getting carried away.

gncxx said:
I had a friend tell me that headbangers got their name because they banged their heads against walls in time with the music and some people had died as a result of deliberately smashing their brains out after getting carried away.

This is apparently true - my Dad saw people doing this when he saw The Who and Led Zeppelin (amongst other bands in the 70's) - the banging heads against walls anyway.

Just been through the thread and haven't seen anyone else post it so here goes:

http://www.iusedtobelieve.com/

Also, I used to get really upset when my mum and dad went out on their own for an hour or two on "boating day". I always wondered why I had to stay home from school* and they should have all the fun messing about in boats on Pennington Flash!

regards

Mark

*My Infants School was a polling station.

drjbrennan said:
Some of the older ones (the girls) believe that there is a bone in the back of a girls body that disappears when she loses her virginity. All boys know about this bone and when kissing and hugging they can check for the existance of this bone and ascertain if the girl is 'intact'.

Sounds like a good explanation (for a child) as to why a man would be groping and touching a woman back there while kissing. ;)

Re: the os/Eaux confusion--in grade school one of my classmates was *sure* that everything in English could be translated literally into French, and thus our school, Carmichael, would be l'auto michelle to a Francophone. Perhaps it's not that weird--in a university-level French class I was startled by a classmate who thought that 'fleur' covered both 'flower' and 'flour'; apparently he and his workmates had thrown flowers on forest fires as part of their summer forestry jobs. (no--they meant farine)

this is a great thread.
my big misconception was that you could have a literal, verbal conversation with god. needless it was always pretty onesided and i thought he was real bastard for never answering me. ive since learned the error of my ways and found a totally different path.
i actually did more convincing as a kid than believing. i somehow convinced one girl i went to school with that elephants flew south for the winter. not sure how i pulled that one off. and when my sister was real young i convinced her she was hatched from an egg my parents found under the porch. heh.... she got pretty upset....

When I was 5 or 6 years old I believed that people only in my own country was crying when attending funerals. Everywhere else they had a party for the deceased I thought.

This is probably due to the fact that I as a very young boy saw a film clip on TV from a funeral march in New Orleans where people was dancing and playing jazz music.

SameOldVardoger said:
When I was 5 or 6 years old I believed that people only in my own country was crying when attending funerals. Everywhere else they had a party for the deceased I thought.

This is probably due to the fact that I as a very young boy saw a film clip on TV from a funeral march in New Orleans where people was dancing and playing jazz music.

Was it Live and Let Die?

gncxx said:
SameOldVardoger said:

Was it Live and Let Die?

Might have been. I was 7 years old when the film was released.
But the film clip might also have been from a TV documentary or a news programme. It's way too long ago to remember correctly.

I used to believe that oral sex was actually sex through the mouth.
IE, sperm and egg conjoin in the throat.

That's what you get when you know about sex way too early.

My little brother believed up until he was 12 that white parents can have black children, and visa versa.

He thought it was all a random chance.

Remember skin colour is coded. As one can get albinos, one could also get any variation of skin colour. If you are talking about caucasions producing afro-carribeans, (and vice versa) then no; unless their has been some kind of mix up with in vitro fertilisation. Also, I seem to recall a mixed race couple (black and white) who had twins. One was black and the other white. If someone can remember with more detail, it might be interesting to post the article.

It was on snopes some time ago. If you check the what's new page on snopes.com, you should be able to find it.
(Sorry, too lazy to go find the link :( )

I remember the newspaper article and I remember seeing the picture with it. Can't remember which one though and my lunch break has just run out so can't check online :(

There was a TV documentary about such pairs of twins a few months ago, but I can't remember what channel. I saw some on the cover of a newspaper recently as well.

There was an article about this in the Nottingham Evening Post a couple of months back.
This is the first time I have posted and I'm not too sure on how to put the link in (It's about a milion characters long in the address bar & I don't know how to shorten it).
If you go to thisisnottingham.co.uk and type twins in the search it'll come up. (The article date is March 1st - It's there in black and white - they're the one in a million twins).
Although at a second glance it doesn't look like it's all that uncommon, there's another article a couple of weeks later about another pair of twins in the area. (April 10th - One in a million twins - Twice!)

Sorry about the lack of links! :oops:

Elliesquire said:
This is the first time I have posted and I'm not too sure on how to put the link in (It's about a milion characters long in the address bar & I don't know how to shorten it).
try
http://tinyurl.com/

easy peasy!

GadaffiDuck said:
Also, I seem to recall a mixed race couple (black and white) who had twins. One was black and the other white. If someone can remember with more detail, it might be interesting to post the article.

Hubby was at school with one such set of twins. The white kid was very white, blonde hair, blue eyes, didn't look mixed race at all. The sme was true for the black kid.
They had a DNA test to check that the babies hadn't been mixed up.

I wonder how they used to explain it in later life. Black man introduces white man as his twin brother, you'd think he was having you on!

bigphoot1 said:
When I was about five we were told that an inspector was coming to our school and we had to be on our best behaviour as he had very sharp eyes. I had nightmares for ages about someone with long spikes for eyes.?"

Eek what a horrible image! When I was at nursery our teacher told us that she had a "brand new car" and we could go outside to see it. I was fully expecting a "bran new" vehicle, ie one made of bran flakes, as I was only four at the time.

I used to believe that my parents, and possibly all grownups, knew their way around every city in the world; this came after a few car trips to other cities where I didn't know where I was, yet my parents were navigating around effortlessly. The fact that they may have visiting these places before I was even born never crossed my solipsistic (sp) little mind. ;)

When I was little, I used to believe that there was a biblical character called "Dark Raymond", who helped the angels roll the stone away in the hymn "Thine Be the Glory".

Angels and Dark Raymond...

And I always used to think Double Bill was a cartoon character. I could never understand why the announcer would keep telling me there would be a double bill cartoon but it would always just turn out to be two bugs bunny cartoons in a row.

I was convinced I'd seen Sandi Toksvig from Number 73 (Saturday morning kids' programme) co-starring in a black and white Bob Hope film. I've no idea what the film was now, of course.

Well, I'm still convinced that I met Noddy Holder when I was very young. I have a very clear memory of seeing him playing a guitar in a white room, next to an arched window as you might find in a church. Everybody tells me that I didn't see him, so where the hell the memory came from, I've no idea. I guess I must have had a dream, and was too young to tell the difference between that and reality.

When I was little, I used to believe that there was a biblical character called "Dark Raymond", who helped the angels roll the stone away in the hymn "Thine Be the Glory".

That's nothing - owing to the song 'Lord of the Dance', which we used to sing in school, I long held the belief that Jesus was the lucky owner of a 'dance settee'!

I am trying to conceal my giggling at my desk at work, reading this thread. Here are a few of my own

1. I believed that once a couple were married, that the woman would automatically become pregnant. I was concerned that actresses would actually become pregnant from pretending to get married on television. I figured it was part of their job, however.

2. I believed that black and white films, especially "A Christmas Carol" staring Alistair Sim were actually made during the Victorian period.

3. I was under the impression that German and Russian were synonyms.

4. I thought that "tourist" meant "American". I am assuming this came from the term "American tourist".

Back