• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Which Fortean Phenomena Scares You The Most?

Thank you for sharing, although I wouldn't have asked.

I believe we have a thread on Lyme disease wherein scepticism is expressed about its spread and severity. Nobody who's suffered from it has any doubts.
Honestly, I suspect there will be some people who malinger. However, having spoken to a doctor fairly well versed in it my understanding is Lyme disease is not well understood.
I felt my body was being hijacked.

Honestly, I suspect there will be some people who malinger. However, having spoken to a doctor fairly well versed in it my understanding is Lyme disease is not well understood.
I felt my body was being hijacked.
Yup, precisely that: it's generally poorly understood.

OTOH I grasped it perfectly well right away, possibly after seeing a TV documentary, and was happy never to show the legs again.

Yup, precisely that: it's generally poorly understood.

OTOH I grasped it perfectly well right away, possibly after seeing a TV documentary, and was happy never to show the legs again.
It would appear to often survive anti biotic treatment and then spread through the body causing many symptoms that might not fit as a Lyme diagnostic.

I literally didn't sleep at all for two nights and needed sleep medication to get any rest. That's fairly uncommon but it was horrendous and I've spoken to others who had something similar.

One thing I was told is that the bacteria seems to nudge you towards complex carbs and sugar. Apparantly can help it grow. Whilst I'm not going to make comment on the science behind that claim, I was constantly eating things like white bread, which I really don't like and haven't touched since recovery.

Sam, The Sandown Clown makes me shudder and, even now, I think of him when walking through woodland on my own.

There's something fantastically creepy about "hello and I am colours Sam" as a sentence. There's scant information about the case out there, which I think only adds to its prevailing oddness.
I'd not heard of this before. How weird!

The Sandown Clown is fascinating.

If we believe the children actually saw something then the obvious answer would be a person in a costume. However, surely someone else at some time would've seen it.

Its almost as if it was something trying and failing to be human.
Here's a detailed account from Wayback Machine:

The Sandown Clown

Here's a detailed account from Wayback Machine:

The Sandown Clown
Let's be honest, the most likely thing here is the children made this up and later convinced themselves it was real. Even in the 70s, would kids have gone anywhere near something like that?
It's also too vague to properly examine.

But....

If the story wasn't exaggerated or added to by those it was reported to, it seems a little too specific to be entirely made up.

I can remember witnessing a small silver ball flying around a local park with several other kids. It flew right up to us then shot away. To this day no one believes us and why should they?

But it was real.

Great podcast.

But the fact the father reported this and had his own UFO claims make me doubt many aspects of this.

Could have been a true believer and embellished children making things up.

For me at least, it makes the whole thing less interesting.

Great podcast.

But the fact the father reported this and had his own UFO claims make me doubt many aspects of this.

Could have been a true believer and embellished children making things up.

For me at least, it makes the whole thing less interesting.

Either that or whatever took an interest in the father took an interest in the kids as well.

I didn't think I knew this story, but reading it over it all came flooding back - unless there's another, similar case?

Let's be honest, the most likely thing here is the children made this up and later convinced themselves it was real. Even in the 70s, would kids have gone anywhere near something like that?
It's also too vague to properly examine.

But....

If the story wasn't exaggerated or added to by those it was reported to, it seems a little too specific to be entirely made up.

I can remember witnessing a small silver ball flying around a local park with several other kids. It flew right up to us then shot away. To this day no one believes us and why should they?

But it was real.
It doesn't even need to be kids 'making things up' - it can be a child's misperception of something of which they currently have no knowledge (being children). I used to be terrified of a lump on our living room ceiling, despite parents maintaining there was 'nothing there'. It was where the electricity cable came down into the wall and had been papered over. To the adults, knowing this was the case, there was 'nothing there'. But it was very definitely there, and completely terrifying to six year old me....

Either that or whatever took an interest in the father took an interest in the kids as well.

I didn't think I knew this story, but reading it over it all came flooding back - unless there's another, similar case?

If you take the children at their word, it does seem like 'Sam' wanted them to see him. The blue gloved hand appearing from under the crossing bridge? The book that gets fumbled and dropped in the stream? Could this have been the whatever entity 'Sam' is equivalent of GCSE French students trying out their lingo on unsuspecting locals in Lille?

What strikes me as curious with the case is that there were allegedly two workmen in full site of the children while they were talking to 'Sam' who didn't seem to notice a 7 foot tall being with wooden antenna and orange hair. It only adds to the oddity, to be honest.

It doesn't even need to be kids 'making things up' - it can be a child's misperception of something of which they currently have no knowledge (being children). I used to be terrified of a lump on our living room ceiling, despite parents maintaining there was 'nothing there'. It was where the electricity cable came down into the wall and had been papered over. To the adults, knowing this was the case, there was 'nothing there'. But it was very definitely there, and completely terrifying to six year old me....
There was a witch that lived in an abandoned house near where I grew up.

Which was actually the woman who owned the house who strangely never had a tenant but would visit to clean the house every so often.

Not a case of kids being cruel. Just a case of how we perceived things.

There was a witch that lived in an abandoned house near where I grew up.

Which was actually the woman who owned the house who strangely never had a tenant but would visit to clean the house every so often.

Not a case of kids being cruel. Just a case of how we perceived things.
This is why it's important to explain things to kids when they ask. I used to ask about the 'ceiling lump' and the way my parents brushed it off with 'it's not anything' led me, in my childish wisdom, to form the opinion that it very much was something, but that 'something' was not to be talked about. A kind of sinister feeling, as though the adults were in on some secret that we kids weren't allowed to know about.

All completely in my mind, of course, but the fact I still remember it, nearly sixty years later, shows how much it affected me.

This is why it's important to explain things to kids when they ask. I used to ask about the 'ceiling lump' and the way my parents brushed it off with 'it's not anything' led me, in my childish wisdom, to form the opinion that it very much was something, but that 'something' was not to be talked about. A kind of sinister feeling, as though the adults were in on some secret that we kids weren't allowed to know about.

All completely in my mind, of course, but the fact I still remember it, nearly sixty years later, shows how much it affected me.
Absolutely.
I've made that mistake as a parent myself and its basically the same one my parents would make with me.

Understanding the difference between world weary adult experience and childish inquisitiveness is so important.

If you take the children at their word, it does seem like 'Sam' wanted them to see him. The blue gloved hand appearing from under the crossing bridge? The book that gets fumbled and dropped in the stream? Could this have been the whatever entity 'Sam' is equivalent of GCSE French students trying out their lingo on unsuspecting locals in Lille?

What strikes me as curious with the case is that there were allegedly two workmen in full site of the children while they were talking to 'Sam' who didn't seem to notice a 7 foot tall being with wooden antenna and orange hair. It only adds to the oddity, to be honest.

There seems to be a mental state in young children where they can "see" things adults cannot, or at least have memories of things that are impossible but were real for them. I don't know if it has a proper name, though.

Absolutely.
I've made that mistake as a parent myself and its basically the same one my parents would make with me.

Understanding the difference between world weary adult experience and childish inquisitiveness is so important.
Yup, after being casually lied to by adults throughout my childhood I swore I'd never lie to my one children and I didn't.

Apart from Santa and the Tooth Fairy, but they are special cases. Kids're supposed to rumble those for themselves. ;)

There seems to be a mental state in young children where they can "see" things adults cannot, or at least have memories of things that are impossible but were real for them. I don't know if it has a proper name, though.
'Active imagination'?
Only kidding - I do think kids can really see stuff that adults screen out.

I don't know what this is called, but I think it is a real, physical thing, and not just a mental misinterpretation. Partly, small children have not yet developed the filters in which only the important things are focussed on.

Have you, or would you share what she experienced @escargot? I find NDE's fascinating.
Yup, I have indeed shared this relation's experience on this very Board. :)

Here it is, from the Dreaming of the Dead thread -

A relation was recently taken ill. I mean really ill, with a post-op haemorrhage. She was rushed to A&E.

As she was having a very big blood transfusion she saw everything go dark, even though her eyes were wide open, and then a man walked up to her. She couldn't see his face clearly but overall he resembled her late father in law, though taller and with spiky grey hair.

She can't be sure if he spoke to her but he wanted her to go with him. She said, 'I can't come with you.'

He seemed to accept this and walked away.

Later when the blood transfusion had done its job and she was sitting up, she told her husband what had happened and described the man she'd seen.

Her husband was a bit shocked: the description sounded like his cousin, who'd died suddenly only a couple of hours before my relation had been taken ill. She believes that if she'd gone with him she wouldn't have come back.

The woman's gastric band had gone wrong, causing the internal bleeding.
Her husband's cousin had died suddenly of heart failure in the same hospital shortly before she arrived.
At the time nobody except the cousin's wife and daughter knew he'd been rushed to hospital or died.

The husband heard about his cousin's death when he rang his mother to give her a progress report.
When he went back to his wife's bedside she was able to tell him about her vision, while he was still in shock over the news about his cousin.

In fact, he said he blurted it out when he should really have been more tactful.

The husband told me the story himself. It had severely rattled him.
He only told me - after having been sworn to secrecy by his wife about the gastric band! - because we were close and he'd found it all so extraordinary.
I said 'That was a near death experience, you know that?' and he 'Yeah, it must have been.' :omg:

Back