• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Who was it?

A

Anonymous

The event i am about to tell you guys occured lastnight, i figured i tell you guys now while its fresh in my memory.

If any of you ever used Yahoo! Messenger im sure you realize all the wide variety of features it has. Well i got online and decided ill turn my cam on and chat for a while. Someone who i dont talk to much but i know decided to give me a Instant message. We talked for a while, she looking at my webcam and im looking at hers. While in the middle of a conversation she replies.."who is that behind you?" I replied with a question mark while she then said "Is that your brother are something?" I was home alone so I was very confused at what she was talking about. I replied jokingly that she may have mistaken my arm movement for someone being there.

She replied with a scared look on her face that no she can see his face. I must admit i started to get spooked and decided to pull my cam up to see what she was talking about. I saw nothing but my face and the kitchen through the background. I can tell she was serious as when i told her i was home alone she begin to get really shaken up. She insisted that he was standing right NEXT to me! I just repeated that its not possible because once again im alone. She started to get fustrated and insist that he was right next to me and she was not joking.

I really did not ask her to give me a description as i was a little to creeped out, i did not even turn around in fear of what i would see. I saw her actions on the cam and she was really serious. I could even see when she was poiting where "he" was at. I quickly dropped the subject as it started to bother me and closed my cam out. I still have the convo to this day unedited. Any ideas as to what could have went on?

com0n said:
The event i am about to tell you guys occured lastnight, i figured i tell you guys now while its fresh in my memory......... I still have the convo to this day unedited. Any ideas as to what could have went on?

Strange way to talk about something that happened just last night...

shambles said:
com0n said:
The event i am about to tell you guys occured lastnight, i figured i tell you guys now while its fresh in my memory......... I still have the convo to this day unedited. Any ideas as to what could have went on?

When i say to this day is nothing more than a habit of closing something i have. Just suprised you only chose that line to respond to.....

com0n said:
shambles said:
com0n said:

When i say to this day is nothing more than a habit of closing something i have. Just suprised you only chose that line to respond to.....

Fair enough...just made it sound a little fishy to my ears.

My first guess would be she was totally screwing with you. That's how some people get their kicks.

Who knows, but Private message me if your interested and I'll get on yahoo tonight, say nothing if i see anyone so it wont creep u out, and i can post pictures tomorrow if there was anyone. This would make for one great thread if i screen capture anyone.

Hm, Too bad she didn't screenshot it.

Perhaps you could contact her again tonight and teach her how (to screenshot) incase she sees the 'entity' again.

Funny - I get a feeling that even if she learns to screenshot, the next time this happens only she will be able to see it because....dah dah dah...she is soooooooo sensitive :lol:
Ah...Call me an old cynic

OK here is the convo we had on the night of the incident.

HER (5:42:36 AM): o whoz that bhind u
ME (5:43:05 AM): behind me?
HER (5:43:26 AM): yea is that yuh cuzin or brother or sumthing
ME (5:43:36 AM): that was my arm
HER (5:43:56 AM): nah i c his face
HER (5:44:20 AM): c there he is
ME (5:44:31 AM): lol u serious?
HER (5:44:46 AM): im serious
ME (5:44:51 AM): dun see no one
HER (5:45:15 AM): his jus standing there next 2 u??????
ME (5:45:28 AM): no lol im here alone
HER (5:45:29 AM): im not joking
HER (5:45:47 AM): well sumone there
ME (5:46:03 AM): cant be looking at my cam righ now and the mirror and see no one
HER (5:46:28 AM): dang scarey im serious im lookin at yuh now
ME (5:46:43 AM): ya i see
ME (5:46:48 AM): weird
HER (5:47:32 AM): o ok u think im weird i no coz yuh think im liein 2 yuh dont yuh
ME (5:47:41 AM): no i believe you, so how was your weekend?

Thats when i tried to change the subject because i was really getting creeped out. Hopefully if she gets on tonight ill ask her for a description of the entity she saw.

So tell me, do you both have poor english?

Because all that writing to me has come from the same person, the same spelling mistakes, the same bad grammar, the same monotone ring to it.

I hope you are genuine and do screen cap the entity to prove us wrong.

If I was on the receiving end of it I wouldnt change the subject, I would look around me, I would get her to cap it, I would do everything I could to find out if she was being serious.

Painy said:
So tell me, do you both have poor english?

Because all that writing to me has come from the same person, the same spelling mistakes, the same bad grammar, the same monotone ring to it.

Hmm, although this story does have a hint of the wind-up about it (maybe by the girl if not by the author!), I wouldn't castigate someone for using poor grammar on an instant message service. If you're chatting to several people, "txt spk" is pretty much obligatory unless you have a typing speed of 100wpm.

If com0n pulled up a window showing his own camera and didn't see anything unusual, I suspect the girl was pulling his leg. I know we're discussing something potentially paranormal and regular everyday logic doesn't have to apply, but an image appearing on one view of webcam x and not on another doesn't seem to make even Fortean sense :)

I disagree that you can't apply logic to the paranormal. One has to start an investigation somewhere (and the scientific method is just about the best way of starting). However, when (and if) that fails, then we need to look at alternatives. Otherwise, we just start going down the road of 'all subjective experiences are valid' nonsense (I really hate social constructivism; it is the bane of thought and freedom).

Gadaffi_Duck said:
I disagree that you can't apply logic to the paranormal. One has to start an investigation somewhere (and the scientific method is just about the best way of starting). However, when (and if) that fails, then we need to look at alternatives. Otherwise, we just start going down the road of 'all subjective experiences are valid' nonsense.

Oh, I agree. If you can't be rational and logical about something, even something that seems to defy explanation, there's no point bothering to discuss it. Perhaps 'preconceptions' would have been a better word than logic. (So we may have to put aside "Life is a product of physical form, when the body dies the life dies with it - so no such thing as ghosts" but we should hang on to "Cause, then effect" and "the human memory is not perfect" :D )

com0n's correspondant could see a figure standing next to him (com0n) on the webcam. com0n accessed the feed himself and couldn't see anything other than himself. They were both accessing the same stream of data. Therefore she was mistaken, or pulling a fast one.

Probably. ;)

Of course someone could say "Ah, the ghost was messing with the camera data!" but, as Gadaffi notes, if you say that you could say anything, logic goes out the window, and you can't discuss it rationally any more.

Gadaffi_Duck said:
(I really hate social constructivism; it is the bane of thought and freedom).

This made me laugh; part of my job is maintaining a VLE (web-based e-learning centre thingummy) designed around a social constructivist pedagogy, for an FE college :)

LOL - as you post in a rational manner, I assume that you must hate the assumptions and dictatorial edicts imposed by a social constructivist operating plan ;) I believe that Pinker nicely destroys the concept in his recent book 'the blank slate'. However, as you are talking about learning (for your job), I hope we are not getting crosswires re: social constructivism. I would've thought that for a learning mechanism, perhaps the Vygotskian notion of scaffolding would be a better (sorry for the pun) structure. :lol:

The VLE we have is designed from the ground up to accommodate collaborative and inclusive learning activities. The idea is that students who immerse themselves in learning through chatrooms, forums etc. as well as lectures will learn quicker and retain better... but the teachers are obviously involved, guiding things along, so Vygotsky's scaffolding idea plays in too.

Certainly we don't take the social constructivism to extremes. Everyone is entitled to an opinion, but rubbish ones still get marked down ;)

Right, shall we get this thread back on topic before the mods layeth the smack down?

The most likely explanation if com0n's friend wasn't trying to wind him up, is that s/he was simply looking at the wrong webcam feed. Maybe this was her error, maybe it was Yahoo's. Maybe she was simultaneously freaking out another friend of hers who was trying to introduce her to his friend/cousin/brother.

"here is my frnd say hello"
"i cannot see any1"
"he's rihgt here"
"no u r all alone"

By the way, com0n: I like hearing spooky stories on their own merit, regardless of the rational explanation. Thanks for sharing :D

Thanks for the responses guys, sorry for the grammar mix up. Most of the time on Instant messaging systems, chatters try to make the typing limit as short as possible. I have came to the conclusion that the girl may have infact had a sudden mixup due to a mental illness or medication. When i asked her to give me a description of the being she saw, she gave me more of a typical "dream guy" type. It was as if she fabricated the image of her idea of a perfect boy friend. I was hoping that my house may infact had a weird creature who can show it's self on cam while i myself cant see... :shock:

Must agree with the above - as a good fortean (ahem) I try to at least listen to all stories - sometimes my mind is made up before an issue, but never to excluding examining new evidence.
PS> agree about the mods; but quick contrary point :D : all opinion is not valid and opinions don't carry equal weight (hopefully an arguement for a thread elsewhere...happy future fencing)

*Sighs* Guess i can always look forward to one of you guys having a fortean event.... :D

I've had 'fortean' events...but being older and having more experience I know enough to know that my paranormal explanations (at the time) for what occured may well be wrong...it didn't make them any less freaky to me when they happened - (but my interpretations were subjective...if we start believing our own uninvestigated interpretations of experiences, then we are not progressing as a species)
Avaunt!

Will do, but it is nearly midnight over here now and I've been up for two days without a break. If the mood takes me later, I will write one up...otherwise, it will be sometime this weekend. :D

;) Hiya Painy
Msn Spk:Me(34) & my uncle(42) on msn messenger
Typical "conversation" as follows
>hi
>nooooob
>noooooooooooooob
(bad drawing of penis)
(terrible drawing of penis)
>knobknobknobknob
etc,etc,etc.
So msn speak is a bit down on my posting quality(*hopes*)
Next point:I've got a web cam set up so that i can see myself and also
behind me and it scares the shoite outta me-i had to switch it off last night(pc in the basement)because it seems that i can see stuff in the camera that isn't there.My explanation is that the picture is so pixelly that my brain just puts all sorts of stuff onto the screen.
Which aint very nice because i'm scared of the dark.
Naughty brain.

m+e said:
;) Hiya Painy
Msn Spk:Me(34) & my uncle(42) on msn messenger
Typical "conversation" as follows
>hi
>nooooob
>noooooooooooooob
(bad drawing of penis)
(terrible drawing of penis)
>knobknobknobknob
etc,etc,etc.
So msn speak is a bit down on my posting quality(*hopes*)

I wasnt really moaning about the way people speak on MSN or Yahoo, I was trying to point out that the text he copy/pasted had all the simalarities of being written by the same person, much like a handwriting expert would determine that someones handwriting is consistant. (not that im a text expert ;) )

I also find it interesting how defensive people get over their experiences (almost as if...'how dare you question me') - I wonder if this causes rehearsal and elaboration of the event in memory (after Craik and Lockhart)?

No worries. ;) Incidentally,my uncle and I write MUCH worse garbage than that.

Dangnammit,where's me coat got to?

Soooooo....are we all pretty much in agreement that this girl is a wind-up merchant or just a 'plain' ;) nutter?

Or....the patterns of light and dark means she really can see a face....even if it's not apparent to anyone else...

I wouldn't want to say to anyone "No,you're wrong"
Just aint my bag.

(baby)...well,yes,you can't say that without saying this.

Wind up

Case closed ;)

Just joking, its open to interpretation any way thats seen fit!

Hey, I don't mind telling people they are wrong - oi nutter girl...NO...you're wrong
Done and done ;)

Back