• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Winning lottery formula

A

Anonymous

Anyway to get winning lottery numbers?

This sounds lame but does anyone know any way to get winning lottery numbers?

on the national lottery website...........after the draw:rolleyes: :D

i dunno about getting them before the draw though:(

If anybody has such a method, they'd be stretched out on a beach somewhere, enjoying the sun and some interesting sex objects/drugs/experiences. They wouldn't be sat at a keyboard surfing sites like this!

Annasdottir is right. If there was a method, SOMEboddy would figgure it out.

hmm maybe they'd get bored and do a bit of surfing. ;)
Oka little less ambitious has anyone a way of picking winning horses?

Oh there is a process for that. Look at the horses physical shape. Professional betters do it all the time. Im sure there are guides on what to look for.

Am I a winner????

Her's a funny thing. I buy lottery tickets most weeks and don't win- apart from my stupendous £63 the other month!- and in anticipation of miserable failure I save up the tickets for weeks and have them checked together at the supermarket in a bundle, so compacting all the humiliation into one short session.

Yesterday I went to have this done and the clerk was stopped halfway through. A woman had collapsed in the car park and the clerk was needed to call for her family over the PA. Discussing the best way to do this took up an unbelievable 10 minutes or more, so I picked up all my tickets and headed off.

So I still may have a Golden Ticket in my wallet.

Unlikely.........

Whooooooo, thank you!
I will check my tickets tonight.

If I'm a biiiig winner, drinks are on me.

KarlR said:
hmm maybe they'd get bored and do a bit of surfing. ;)
Oka little less ambitious has anyone a way of picking winning horses?

don't know about horses but i recently won a little at the greyhound racing by betting on dogs that had names that could conceivably by Cocteau Twins songs - explaining this to my workmates got me a number of funny looks in my general direction - but i did win some cash:)

Winning lottery formulas- are there any?

I ask because my BF believes there's a way of working out what numbers will come up next.

I disagree because the lottery is random and patterns can only be inferred retrospectively and not predicted.

But he reckons some guy was on TV who had worked out a formula based on leaving out recent winning numbers which gave him wins in the 100s of pounds every week- with very big stakes of course.

All superstition.
Or is it?

Re: Winning lottery formulas- are there any?

escargot said:
All superstition.
Short answer: Yes it's superstition.
Long answer: Take a course in statistics. In the long term all numbers come up about the same number of times, although short term a particular number may turn up more (or less) often than expected.

So "leaving out recent winning numbers" may back fire if some of those numbers are coming into a 'hot' streak. Similarly using numbers that haven't come up recently will backfire if they remain in a temporary 'cold' streak.

Anyone who wins, whether tens, thousands or millions of pounds, is just lucky.

I think the only winning formula is not to play...

Having said that, I do play each week as part of a syndicate and we have a spectacular record. I think we've had something like 4 or 5 wins of 3 numbers in at least 3-4 years with 5 rows per week, which I worked out to be well below what we should expect given the law of averages and working out the number of combinations that would give us a 3 number match.

I think there are some methods which will help you - can never be foolproof and there's no way of guaranteeing a win but if you have enough rows and work out the statistics you can cover enough combinations to give you a good chance of making back your money.

The only real way picking numbers will help is to try and avoid common sets so if you do win, you don't have to share it with a dozen other people...

Steve.

The fantastic thing about statistical analysis is that it can always be used to 'discover' seemingly surprising facts. That's one reason why politicians and journalists love statisics. Often these facts are actually quite meaningless and obvious.

Lottery analysis won't help you win - though email spammers and other fraudsters will use startling statistical analysis to try to show people that they have discovered some secret worth buying.

A couple of years ago I was thinking about lottery numbers and I put together an Excel spread sheet containing all results of the Irish lottery since draw 1. Sorting the drawn numbers for each week in ascending order and trying various ideas - I was able to derive percentages showing that the lowest number had a very high chance of being within a certain close range, likewise the second number (in ascending order) would likely be within another higher close range ... and so on. So for about 10 seconds I was shocked. The data seemed startling. Then I remember maths and realised I'd just proved something very obvious. I may not have explained that very well.

About a year ago some idiot sent me a junk email advertising a service or web site based on this startling information.

Statistical analysis will not even increase your chances of choosing the right numbers. The only way to win a lottery is to buy all the possible combinations of numbers. Some say that statistics will help you increase your chances of winning smaller prizes over time ..... I think they're wrong.

Premium Bonds are a much better gamble and could reasonably be described as an investment.

Meanwhile - slightly off thread -> I'm amazed that scratch cards are even legal. The only people I ever see buying them look like they can't afford to eat properly. Scratch cards seem like a particularly nasty tax on the poor.

Yup, all true, especially this-

The only real way picking numbers will help is to try and avoid common sets so if you do win, you don't have to share it with a dozen other people...

-which I have heard interpreted as not using 'birthday' numbers, so all numbers up to 31 are out because they feature in dates of birth.

So if a person chooses lottery sets from 32 upwards, they may not be more likely to win but will probably not have to share any jackpot they do win with many other people as these numbers are less likely to be actually chosen, for sentimental/family reasons.

It's all totally random. Dammit.

edit- while waiting for pages to load I sometimes play solitaire and today thought, 'It's all random, just like this stupid game, which I probably won't 'win'.........' and guess what- I won!

The mighty power of superstition....
I shall now rush out and buy 20 lottery tickets.

the thing with all these spammers offering to let you win the jackpot - if you had such a foolproof system, would you be trying to sell it for a fiver a shot, or would you just use it a couple of times, then retire?

There was a bloke in the States who won two jackpots in different lotteries within a couple of hours of each other over Christmas. Dread to think what the odds of that were, but several of my friends reckon he must have cheated or had some inside knowledge. Other than have someone help him by swapping the balls, I can't see how though. Must just have been pure luck.

I agree about scratch cards though. I think I've seen the same people buying them.

And about the premium bonds. Been thinking about buying a load. At least at the end of the day, you can get your money back whenever you want. Don't get interest but considering the pitiful amount of interest most high street banks pay on their 'savings' accounts that's not a great loss...

Steve.

If I'll buy a new house.

This one-

Try watching "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are dead." A wonderful play/film in its own right, but it begins with the two main characters on horseback with one repeatedlky tossing a coin. Each time he tosses it it comes down heads. After a large number of tosses with the same result he ponders...

"List of possible explanations. One: I'm willing it. Inside where nothing shows, I am the essence of a man spinning double-headed coins, and betting against himself in private atonement for an unremembered past. Two: time has stopped dead, and the single experience of one coin being spun once has been repeated ninety-times. On the whole, doubtful. Three: divine intervention. Four: a spectacular vindication of the principle that each individual coin spun individually is as likely to come down heads as tails and therefore should cause no surprise each individual time it does."

Of course the last explanation is the one that applies to the lottery. The system of balls and machine don't have a memory, so the probablility of a number appearing is independant of its previous appearance.

not the lottery but someone i know is useing a fiedish system on the horses... made posible by the net..as far as i can acertain. Horses almost always run to thier closeing prices, that is a 20 to 1 horse wil win once every twenty times out. This is over some time.. anyway.. the system seems to rely on live odd sites and the fact that bookies want to make 15% profit on every race... so it seems u have to catch a horse when its price is low due to its starting price being set low to encorage betting and catch it on the way up between difering bookies... now i know nothing about horses and have never placed a bet in my life but this friend consistantly makes 15% ... but it dipends on consistancy and not chickening out when big amounts of money are required to gain little.... anyone know more?

I was once told of a chap who was investigated by Camelot as he was regulary winning the small prizes. I believe the idea was that you have, for instance, 5 lines and the numbers on each line are all very close to each other. Something like:
12 28 32 34 45 48
13 29 33 35 46 49

so on and so forth.

This was a story relayed to me after several pints in an Edinburgh pub so take from it what you will.

My own lottery philosophy is to always have a go because £5million for a £1 stake, even at 14 million to 1, is pretty good. To spend £2 would be a complete waste of money as it wouldn't lower the odds in any noticeable way.

I also use the same numbers every week because if you are ever looking for a friend in a big shopping centre, you are more likely to find them if you standstill and wait for them to wonder by, then if you are both walking about the place. Also I will occasionally forget to buy a ticket and then experience the delicious excitement of seeing if my numbers come up and when they don't, the unbridled joy of knowing that I've just won a pound.

Sadly

12 28 32 34 45 48
13 29 33 35 46 49

are no more likely to come up as a winner (even for the small prizes) than

1 2 3 4 5 6
11 12 13 14 15 16

I'm afraid that you can't beat the odds. :(

I don't play unless the Jackpot is greater than £15M. This makes a sort of sense if the odds are ~14,000,000 to 1, i.e. played long enough (and assuming that you didn't share the jackpot, so pick "unlikely" sequences) you would make a profit in the long run.

Of course, even this is a bit silly because the "long run" would require you to play significantly more than 14,000,000 games at £1 a game to have any confidence of breaking even. ;)

JurekB said:
My own lottery philosophy is to always have a go because £5million for a £1 stake, even at 14 million to 1, is pretty good. To spend £2 would be a complete waste of money as it wouldn't lower the odds in any noticeable way.
Totally wrong! Spending £2 doubles your chances of winning - the odds against you come down to 7 million to 1!

Spend £14 million pounds (cover every combination) and you're certain to win - but less than £14 million, unfortunately!

Fortis said:
Sadly

are no more likely to come up as a winner (even for the small prizes) than

I'm afraid that you can't beat the odds. :(

Actually what his chap was talking about was a system called "Lotto-Link System" which is available to buy on the internet. I am using it myself playing about 60 games/lines each week on the scandinavian lottery Viking Lotto and is winning small prizes 8-9 out of 10 times. How long I'll have to play before winning any major prizes(1-2-3 div) is anyones guess, but I'll continue a couple of years to test it. 5 lines is not enough, it is probably neccessary to play at least 30 lines. Even if your not using this as a normal system but is just playing a few lines like JurekB talked about you are covering a lot of numbers in just a few lines and not in a random way.

How does this "Lotto-Link" system work? Sounds very unlikely to me. If you can prove the theory behind it, then I'm willing to start a chat thread "Fortis is a plonker". ;)

Fortis said:
How does this "Lotto-Link" system work? Sounds very unlikely to me. If you can prove the theory behind it, then I'm willing to start a chat thread "Fortis is a plonker". ;)

It's nothing magical, that's for sure. It's all about getting a good selection of numbers. You got three profiles with different spread of numbers. The first line in each profile must not share any of the same numbers. Be shure to have half odd numbers and half even numbers in each line.

Besides, by playing 60 lines I¨m matematically allmost 80% sure of winning a prize each week(if the numbers has been spread well in the lotto link system, or I am playing another matematically reduced system on 60 lines).

Example:
profile 1:
3 12 18 21 35 44
4 13 19 22 36 45
5 14 20 23 37 46
fill in more lines etc.

profile 2:
7 20 27 38 40 45
8 21 28 39 41 46
9 22 29 40 42 47
fill in more etc.

profile 3:
14 23 29 34 41 46
15 24 30 35 42 47
16 25 31 36 43 48
fill in more etc.

Remember to check your selection of numbers with earlier draws to see if it is good. If not, try to make several triple profiles and select the best one.

Here's a link to a system which gives an 83% chance of 3 number correct in 75 lines(6/49):
http://www.lotto-logix.com/wheelhouse/ecnfl49n75c.html

Here's a link to a system which gives an 83% chance of 3 number correct in 75 lines

Which amounts to a loss by my calculations.

Lottery science is like snake oil.

Your chances of getting a 3/5 number line on 75 lines are no different whether you use a system or draw at random.

Be shure to have half odd numbers and half even numbers in each line.

Why?

spread of numbers

Spread of numbers? 1,2,3,4,5 is just as likely as any other sequence.

If I choose 10,12,15,17,19 and they draw 9,11,14,16,20 .... then, according to this kind of dumb maths, I nearly won.

ConspiracyNut, the odds for getting 3 out of 6 numbers for a single line are 1 in 57. If you do that you win £10, making a profit of £9. If you don't then you lose your £1 stake. You are saying that you have an 83% prob. of the 3 number win coming up after entering 75 lines. If you do this enough times, then you average win per game is

0.83*£10 = £8.30

but your stake per game is

75*£1 = £75

so you make an average loss on each game of £66.70, which doesn't sound like a good system to me. ;)

If you compare it to just putting a single line on each game, then you have an average return of

~ £10 / 57 = £0.175 (Note that this is a slight underestimate as I have only included 3 out of 6 wins, not 4 out of 6, etc.)

with a loss of £1.

Now to compare with the "wheel" system we need to multiply everything by 75 giving an average win over 75 single lines of £13.16, for a loss of £75.

This means that this system only gives you a net average loss (for the same number of lines) of £61.84.

Not only do both of the systems give a net loss, but the "non-system" of one line a week is more cost effective.

The key thing here, though, is the word loss. ;)

To Fortis:

It's not as bad as you want it to be.

Usually I win two or three 5th divisions each week and once in a while 'one 4th div & two 5th div'(every 6 week in average) with the Lotto Link system playing 69 lines. I guess I win back 50-60% of what I 'invested'. Which is OK while I am waiting for a bigger prize. This way it doesn't cost too much to play each week. The cost of participating one week is about £ 17.

I am aware no lotto system can guarantee you profit. But it's all about being able to participate in the lottery each week without the cost going through the roof. The money I win goes back into the lottery of course.

In Norway the value of 5th div is usually about £ 3.0 while the cost of playing one line is about £ 0.25 on Viking Lotto which perhaps gives me a better return per line than on the Camelot lottery in the UK. Viking Lotto uses 6/48, not 6/49.

The problem is that with games of chance, such as the lottery, the more times you play, the greater the probability that your performance will be close to the mean.

Take the example of roulette, and betting on the colour (i.e IIRC red or black). You have two betting options, and if you win you double your stake. Sounds good? The sneaky thing is that the sections on a roulette wheel aren't only red and green. The zero ("0") is green (IIRC a US wheel also has a green double zero, "00".)

What this means is that the odds of winning are slightly less than 50:50. The odds are in favour of the house. (Even if you bet on both red and black, in the long term, the house will still win.)Another thing to bear in mind is that the more times the game is played, the more the overall winnings/losses will tend towards the theoretical mean. This means that the probability of breaking even reduces the longer the game is played. :( (A tip, if you want to win a large sum of money at roulette. The best way is to place all of your money on a single bet. Using your money in lots of little bets will be less likely to succeed, though you may be more tempted to walk away from the table when you start losing most of it. ;) )

All games of chance are biased towards the house, otherwise no-one would run them, and the longer that you play, the less likely you are to break even. :(

Back