• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Winning lottery formula

Which is OK while I am waiting for a bigger prize. This way it doesn't cost too much to play each week. The cost of participating one week is about £ 17.
But your chances of winning the big prize have not improved by playing this 'system', which is based on a mis - representation of maths. You are wasting your money. The system you are playing is bogus. As are all lottery systems.

The only way to win would be to find a way to cheat. Or else chance. Playing a system does not improve your chances.

Isnt there a way to beat the odds in roulette by doubling your bet every time until you win and stoppnig the moment you are ahead?

I don't recall exactly how it worked but if that is effective in a binary system where the chance is 1/2 then if the lottery chances are one in sixty-five million, should it not be possible to do the same by raising your stake to the power of sixty five million every time?

Not only possible, I suggest, but entirely practical.

Aye, there is a method for roulette that involves doubling your stake each time, until you win. Eventually you win your stake back, though for it to really work you need to have an infinite pot of money to start with. There's an old story involving games of chess that hits the same problem. The stake for winning the game is that the loser has to pay in grains of rice, with one grain on the first square, two on the second, 4 on the fourth and so on until all of the squares are covered. A bit of a toughy by the time you hit the 64th square. ;)

The translation to the lottery are a little subtler. The trick is to make sure that the potential winnings each time exceed the current running totals of the losses. The repeat until you make a profit, or until the earth is swallowed up by a nasty red giant. ;)

The tricky bit with the lottery is that there is a finite pot, so that you will hit a brick wall of diminishing returns, i.e. you could never make back your total losses by buying more tickets. It's an interesting theoretical problem though. (Vaguely reminiscent of calculating Chandrasekhar's limit for the creation of black holes. If anyone reeeaaalllllly wants to know why, let me know and I'll have a go. :) )

I've solved my lottery problem, which isn't that of always losing (I'm resigned to that) but of the BF whingeing about my wasting money on it.

Problem solved thusly- I buy a ticket as normal every week, in the Lucky Dip format of course in keeping with the random nature of the allocation of numbers, and simply DON'T TELL HIM.

That way, I get to a. not hear him nagging and b. keep any winnings I do make.

Simple.

Um, it's late, but I seem to remember working out a lottery system similar to the one mentioned above some time ago. I'll try and explain what it was.

It involved about 65 or so lines I think and the way the numbers were done you got every combination of 2 numbers. [I think that's 49*48/2 combinations of two: 1,176. Each line of 6 numbers has 18 different 2 number combinations I think so you need 66 lines (65 1/3) if you get the 'pattern' right.]

Now, this seemed to raise your overall odds of getting 3 numbers when compared to one random ticket times 66. I can't remember how I 'proved it' to myself, but if you're objective was to raise your chances of getting at least £10 it seemed to work.

But, here's the thing, I think it actually lowered your chance of getting a bigger prize. And when I wroked out the estimated loss over time, it was close enough for me to suspect this was due to the extra 2/3 of a line, which I hadn't included in my calculations.

Also it definately improved your chances of getting at least £10 (but not your overall esimated loss over time) than if you just bought 66 random lines in one single draw. This was because in random lines you will have some numbers far more frequently than others, so on occation you will get clusters of wins in the same batch. With the system you just win less more frequently.

Please pick this apart if you're education was more recent than mine ... I would be glad to be proved wrong. And apologies if it makes no sense at all.

Oh yeah, and there is deninately one way to get into profit over time. A special case : The Rollover.

Because you can possibly buy every combination, if the Jackpot is enough you can win win say 30 mil for your 14 mil. Of course you have to work out the chances of someone else getting it as well etc., but with a big enough rollover (and providing few enough play that week as well) it works.

It's too late for me to do the numbers on it though. Again someone please take that apart if you like.

Back