• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Workplace 'Ghost'

Thanks for digging this story out, @Carl Grove, it's a beauty. As to the abrupt ending, I have visions of the defaced notepad page resting in a manila folder, perhaps next to an identical folder containing a faded Swedish petrol receipt, in a nondescript storage facility in, say, Corby. Not to mention a couple of mildly perplexed individuals who occasionally experience browser redirects, and don't register the presence of certain titles in the magazine rack in WH Smiths...

you read my mind there re raiders-style storage facility

Yes,it's sort of so good it almost doesn't matter whether it's "true"...

FWIW though, reading that, I don't think she was a writer, as such. The bit about the speed he was moving not matching the amount of ground covered struck me as strangely believable - that's not a sort of detail I'd have thought of. I bet I've missed some absolutely classic threads. Must go rooting!

I think I saw a ghost once. I feel a bit stupid talking about this and I haven't told anyone but my immediate family. About three years ago one of my aunts died, she was nearly 90 and up until shortly before she died she was as sharp as a tack and very active. We used to go to church together every Sunday and were pretty close friends as much as relatives. About three or four weeks after she died I was in bed asleep, something woke me up and I sat on the edge of the bed a bit bewildered, the atmosphere in room had changed, its hard to explain, but it was like it was sort of busy and churning. There was no noise and I wasn't frightened or anything. The next thing I can see her smiling face, just her face, floating over the end of the bed up towards the corner of the room. It lasted one second or so. As I said it wasn't scarey or anything, in fact she made me laugh... I remember saying to her Auntie P what are you doing? You can't be doing this! She just smiled and was gone (she always had a mischievous sense of humour). I've never seen her since. It was like she was just letting me know she was ok.

I feel a bit stupid talking about this and I haven't told anyone but my immediate family.
Lovely story. It is not at all stupid and is a recognised phenomenon. I even went to a talk once by a parapsychologist from Nottingham University on this very subject. Up till that point, I had no idea it happened to other people. I have experienced it myself although on a couple of occasions I was asleep and dreaming but the person (and in one case, a cat) was "real".

Lovely story. It is not at all stupid and is a recognised phenomenon. I even went to a talk once by a parapsychologist from Nottingham University on this very subject. Up till that point, I had no idea it happened to other people. I have experienced it myself although on a couple of occasions I was asleep and dreaming but the person (and in one case, a cat) was "real".

Spit it out.

Spit it out.
Nothing very exciting I'm afraid!

The cat appeared to me in a dream and walked about on my lap purring while I patted him. I knew he had died really and he was just coming for a brief visit so I was crying but happy he was there.

I got visited by a favourite priest who had died in a dream. I was surprised to see him as I thought he would be too busy with so many other people as he was very popular. He smiled and faded away and I understood that it was because he was indeed busy.

These events felt "real" and were not just normal dreams.

Finally, after a friends wake I woke to feel a hand on mine in the way that people do to comfort you and I knew it was him.

Last edited:
Nothing very exciting I'm afraid!

The cat appeared to me in a dream and walked about on my lap purring while I patted him. I knew he had died really and he was just coming for a brief visit so I was crying but happy he was there.

I got visited by the priest that married my husband and I in a dream. I was surprised to see him as I thought he would be too busy with so many other people as he was very popular. He smiled and faded away and I understood that it was because he was indeed busy.

These events felt "real" and were not just normal dreams.

Finally, after a friends wake I woke to feel a hand on mine in the way that people do to comfort you and I knew it was him.

As you'll know, we have a couple of very nice 'Dreams of the Dead' threads! Having the dead come back to visit in dreams is a good old bit of folklore.

I had a lovely dream about a friend who'd suddenly died, where he argued with me about whether or not he was really dead.

I had a lovely dream about a friend who'd suddenly died, where he argued with me about whether or not he was really dead.

I had the same thing. Whenever I dream of the dead I always seem to meet them whilst travelling on a bus, as though it's my mind letting me know that we're inbetween places somehow. My friend didn't know she was dead, she was chatting to me as she always would but faltered when she saw the look on my face. I tried to act as normally as possible but in the end her face fell as she said "I'm dead, aren't I?". She then asked me how she'd died and I was really reluctant to tell her, because she'd always had this terrible fear of cancer and it's what got her in the end, sadly. Anyway, she left the bus and said she'd be seeing me, or words to that effect which I took to mean "we all die eventually." It was really quite vivid and when I woke I was convinced I'd actually spoken with her.

Sort of a ghost story, more a lazy Poltergeist...
(Couldn't find a thread like that so here goes.)
My wife and I moved into a normal seeming house 23 years ago. It was old by the standards of where we live, built some sixty years ago. Shortly afterwards we started have this experience. I would be washing up prior to going to bed and I would hear my wife yelp loudly. When I came running into the bedroom she would say she felt me sit on the edge of the bed, but when she'd roll over, I wasn't there. This happened over and over. At first I was reassuring her that she was having a waking dream of sorts. She continued to insist that she wasn't. I even felt it once, when she was late to bed. Nothing overly dramatic, but definitely the bed shifting just like someone sitting on the edge, and then no one there. I asked the old folks who lived across the street (long since deceased) if there was anything "odd" about our house. The old man spoke up and said yes, as a matter of fact. He used to call the police because the people who lived there before us would have dog fights in the garage. I told my wife this and she immediately insisted we do something. The "something" was walking around the outside of the house with open Bible and some water to sprinkle on each wall. (She used to be Catholic.) I don't recall the verse, but we would read the verse and then sprinkle the water.
But that wasn't the end. It happened a couple of times more. The second time my wife sat up in bad and in a loud voice said "I COMMAND YOU TO LEAVE THIS HOME IN THE NAME OF JESUS OF NAZARETH." Hasn't happened since, although I still hear odd sounds late at night from time to time.
I told a Pastor that in my opinion the anger, violence, and blood spilt from forcing two dogs to fight was just enough to get some spirit to start hanging around.

Back