• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World Records (Miscellaneous)

I hope his dog is found not guilty.

World Sheepdog Trials: Fifteen-year-old 'well fit' for competition​

Peter Morgan and his son, Peter Óg Morgan with sheepdogs

Image caption, Peter Morgan said his son, Peter Óg (right), is "well fit" for global herding competition
By Louise Cullen

As 15-year-old boys go, Peter Óg Morgan could be described as unusual.

While some may be concentrating on their gaming scores, the County Down teenager is preparing to compete to be the best at the World Sheepdog Trials, alongside his faithful companion.

"I used to go to dog trials every weekend with my dad and granda. Dad gave me, on my 11th birthday, Tip, so I decided to start trialling - and it's taken me to the World Sheepdog Trials," he said.

His father Peter Morgan, vice-chairman of the organising committee, will be supporting his son with a mixture of pride - and perhaps just a little envy.

"I didn't qualify for [the Worlds] myself - unfortunately I never made it," he said. "But I wish him and all the other competitors the best of luck. He's well fit for it. There have been some tough Saturdays trialling with him when you're coming home in the vehicle and he has you beaten at 15 years old."

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-66781024

World’s Tallest Living Steer

The Mirror headline says cow but he’s actually

a steer as he has been castrated, this means he is more easy going and less dangerous than other bulls.

A "gentle giant" cow has officially been named the worlds tallest after reaching a staggering 6ft 1in.

The large bovine called Tommy lives in Massachusetts USA with his owners Fred Balawender and Laurie. The 13-year-old cow has lived on the property in Cheshire since he was just a day old after he was rescued from an auction at a dairy farm. Brown Swiss are a typically large breed, but father and daughter duo Fred and Laurie couldn't believe it when Tommy just kept on growing.

Tommy stands at 1.87m and is recognised by the Guinness World Records as the World's Tallest Living Steer. His appetite lives up to his size, consuming a whopping 13kg of dry grain, more than 34kg of hay and 150 litres of water per day. He also loves apples, but his favourite snack is a cinnamon bun. However, Tommy is too tall to fit in the farm's 7ft cattle trailer, so there is no knowing how heavy he truly is.

While Tommy's sizes is staggering, he isn't the tallest cow that has ever live. Knickers, a Holstein Friesan from Australia claimed that title standing at 6ft 4in and weighing 1.4 tonnes. Sadly Knickers died in 2020.
1694692095082.png

Vid at link.

Daleks gather in bid to exterminate world record​

Dozens of the most-feared baddies in Doctor Who, the Daleks, have assembled in a bid to break a world record.

Although unsuccessful, the sixth Doctor, Colin Baker came to inspect Skaro's scariest in Chippenham, Wiltshire.

The record was set in Leicestershire in 2008 when 95 Daleks gathered.

On Sunday, 87 assembled with proceeds from the event going to Julia House in Devizes and to Great Ormond Street.

https://www.bbc.com/news/av/uk-england-wiltshire-47522618

She's so cute! :D
I guess she is pretty much a megastar in India.

I agree with all past comments ... but we should also remember that she's a human being, with agency, and not an object - as that git P.T. Barnum would've considered her.
He'd have wanted her and Tom Thumb to breed (in his eyes) so he could make more money.
Before anyone jumps on me for being too cynical, listen up - I personally think she's 'cute' and good for her, for existing. Could she decide to act for others who are ... special like herself? I hope so. Her choice.
I look forward to hearing more from her!

I agree with all past comments ... but we should also remember that she's a human being, with agency, and not an object - as that git P.T. Barnum would've considered her.
He'd have wanted her and Tom Thumb to breed (in his eyes) so he could make more money.
Before anyone jumps on me for being too cynical, listen up - I personally think she's 'cute' and good for her, for existing. Could she decide to act for others who are ... special like herself? I hope so. Her choice.
I look forward to hearing more from her!
I got 'snogged in the face' by an extremely short woman just after I'd moved to my home town but when I was still with my ex. We were in a nightclub and these things happen. I stopped her, politely explained I was in a relationship, she didn't know so apologised and we didn't make a big deal about it. She now lives on the same street as me, she's only a couple of inches above dwarfism I reckon. She's very cool though, into heavy metal, has an ace and genuine personality, a very credible job and a teenage Son nowadays. She's also got an allotment which I'm envious about. Me and the Mrs have been sourcing her very large empty plastic bottles for next year in case we all get a heat wave because there's no running taps at her sight apparently.

An unwise venture?

13:25 28/11/2023

'Guinness World Record attempt turns woman's hands white'​

Subair Enitan says she washed clothes by hand for 58 hoursImage caption: Subair Enitan says she washed clothes by hand for 58 hours

A Nigerian student who was determined to set a new record for hand-washing clothes has been filmed looking drastically different afterwards. In a viral video Subair Enitan is seen resting on a bed following what she says was a 58-hour stint at a wash basin on Monday, showing friends her wrinkled and whitened hands.

The Guinness World Records group has not yet commented on Ms Enitan's bid, but she told local media on Monday:
Quote Message: I am very fulfilled to have completed the task right in front of my mum, friends and colleagues who thronged this venue to show love and support my ambition."

World-record fever has swept Nigeria in recent months.

Celebrity chef Hilda Baci kicked off the trend when she cooked continuously for over 93 hours, but five months later she was dethroned by Irish chef Alan Fisher who managed over 119 hours.

More recently, a Nigerian woman called Helen Williams set a new record for making the longest handmade wig - measuring 351.28m (1,152ft 5in).

https://www.bbc.com/news/world?ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=twitter&ns_campaign=bbc_live&ns_linkname=6565d14f6868a4009ac42cfa&'Guinness World Record attempt turns woman's hands white'&2023-11-28T13:25:17.386Z&ns_fee=0&pinned_post_locator=urn:asset:59dbe5d8-25d2-4f95-9877-4de3b71a8080&pinned_post_asset_id=6565d14f6868a4009ac42cfa&pinned_post_type=share

I liked it when it recounted previous World Records being broken.
It degraded when it lowered it's requirements and people could make their own 'World Record', such as Albert Twerp getting into the Guiness Book by 'setting' the 'world record' for saying "Yes" the most number of times in a minute.
Sure, this example is my fiction, but you get the point.

It degraded when it lowered it's requirements and people could make their own 'World Record'...

Not just people, there's a lot of marketing in record setting nowadays. (To be fair, there were always firms producing eg a large pie/cheese/miscellaneous foodstuff to get in the local press, but it's a GWR strategy now if you look on the website)

I've followed the 'tallest lego brick tower' record for many years - anyone remember Milton Keynes's record-holder from 1980? so i was disappointed when this attempt didn't make it into the book. The report says there was no GWR invigilator present, but that wouldn't have been essential if the team could produce independent evidence of the claimed height. I wonder if the issue was that some non-Lego bricks were used? as prevented their previous attempt being accepted.

I think the record should be for the 'tallest building brick tower' rather than a specific brand. But that's not going to happen.

oxo

Not just people, there's a lot of marketing in record setting nowadays. (To be fair, there were always firms producing eg a large pie/cheese/miscellaneous foodstuff to get in the local press, but it's a GWR strategy now if you look on the website)

I've followed the 'tallest lego brick tower' record for many years - anyone remember Milton Keynes's record-holder from 1980? so i was disappointed when this attempt didn't make it into the book. The report says there was no GWR invigilator present, but that wouldn't have been essential if the team could produce independent evidence of the claimed height. I wonder if the issue was that some non-Lego bricks were used? as prevented their previous attempt being accepted.

I think the record should be for the 'tallest building brick tower' rather than a specific brand. But that's not going to happen.

oxo
I dated a girl when I was a 18 who's Grandmother was in the GWR book for having the most recorded children ever .. Mrs McNaught .. from memory the Grandmother was no longer alive, I never met her but if anyone can track those details down I'd be grateful. I think her first name was Georgina. Her kids were used in an old Kellogg's cornflakes TV advert.

Last edited:
Not sure if this is the one:

'Margaret McNaught 1945 (c.) Ms McNaught (born 1923), of Balsall Heath, Birmingham, gave birth to 22 children, 12 boys (2 of them died in infancy) and 10 girls, all single births.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_the_most_children
Thanks Steven. That's the lady. The family ended up moving to Tamworth after one of them had an altercation with some bad boys which is where I met the grand daughter and started dating her.

I dated a girl when I was a 18 who's Grandmother was in the GWR book for having the most recorded children ever .. Mrs McNaught .. from memory the Grandmother was no longer alive, I never met her but if anyone can track those details down I'd be grateful. I think her first name was Georgina. Her kids were used in an old Kellogg's cornflakes TV advert.

Well remembered Swifty. Mrs McNaught was in the GBR from the early 70s through to the late 90s. The 1997 edition has a photo of her with all twenty surviving children.

Woman Hospitalised While Attempting Guinness World Record 50-Hour Hand-Washing Marathon

Subair Enitan, a student at Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in Nigeria, captured attention after embarking on an extraordinary endeavour to set a Guinness World Record for a 50-hour hand-washing marathon.

However, the ambitious attempt took an unexpected turn as Enitan landed in the hospital after 48 hours into the marathon.

17908230_20231127210856_jpega73a7964ad9f376190dc2ba35589d56a

In a video circulating on various online platforms, Enitan was lying on a hospital bed with her hands covered in powder.

Nonetheless, Nigerians applauded her dedication and resilience in pursuing the remarkable milestone.

https://www.theghanareport.com/woma...s-world-record-50-hour-hand-washing-marathon/

maximus otter

Well remembered Swifty. Mrs McNaught was in the GBR from the early 70s through to the late 90s. The 1997 edition has a photo of her with all twenty surviving children.
Thanks but I dated her grand daughter for two years so that's not something I'd just forget! lol ..one of Mrs McNaught's sons's was the father of my then girlfriend. I can't remember his name sadly (edit: I've just remembered, it was Jim). He told me about that Kellogg's cornflakes advert where they were all paid to sit at a long table with a prop over sized packet of cornflakes, the advert explaining who they were. I've never seen the advert myself so if anyone can find it before I can, I'd be hugely grateful.

The son had too move out of Birmingham with his family and relocate to Stonydelph in Tamworth because his son (my McNaught girlfriend's brother) got angry with some chavs in Brum who were kicking a hedge hog around so he stopped them. Gangs were threatening and attacking his family home after that so the family were re located to Tamworth which is where I met her when she was 16 and I was 18. I've got a couple of photos of her in my memories box but I won't post them because of her privacy. She had a few cool quirks, one of them was to call toddlers 'skid-wits', something I've kept and still use. She's a nursery nurse teacher these days so the whole kids thing is obviously strong in that family.

Last edited:

Woman Hospitalised While Attempting Guinness World Record 50-Hour Hand-Washing Marathon

Subair Enitan, a student at Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) in Nigeria, captured attention after embarking on an extraordinary endeavour to set a Guinness World Record for a 50-hour hand-washing marathon.

However, the ambitious attempt took an unexpected turn as Enitan landed in the hospital after 48 hours into the marathon.

In a video circulating on various online platforms, Enitan was lying on a hospital bed with her hands covered in powder.

Nonetheless, Nigerians applauded her dedication and resilience in pursuing the remarkable milestone.

https://www.theghanareport.com/woma...s-world-record-50-hour-hand-washing-marathon/

maximus otter
Was her end goal to promote hand washing to the public?. Fair play to her.

As a side-note to firms advertising by creating their own 'world' records, someone else (apart from myself and t'missus) noticed that when you come to the Yorkshire coast, so many fish 'n' chip shops are 'award winning'. No further details. Which award? Who gave the award? Where's the trophy? Nay, lad.

I think I knew one of her sons. He was a porter at my uni hall of residence.

I think I knew one of her sons. He was a porter at my uni hall of residence.
Was his name James aka Jim? (he's passed away now) .. moved to Tamworth? .. he's the only direct descendent I knew not including his daughter I was dating.

Was his name James aka Jim? (he's passed away now) .. moved to Tamworth? .. he's the only direct descendent I knew not including his daughter I was dating.
I honestly can't remember it was such a long time ago. I knew him in London a d was told that his mum had the GWR for the greatest number of children.

I honestly can't remember it was such a long time ago. I knew him in London a d was told that his mum had the GWR for the greatest number of children.
I'd contact my ex to ask her more but that would be a bit weird because I broke up with her around '91. She's got in touch with me since but that was all a bit awkward. On a happier note, she worked at Drayton Manor Park and Zoo (a rite of passage growing up in Tamworth) so we never had to pay to go in at the time.

Should young children be encouraged to participate in such record attempts? Pushy parents will do anything to get media attention..

An eight-year-old girl who believes she has set a new world record for hanging from monkey bars has been told she is too young for her achievement to be officially recognised.

Helena, from Leeds, recorded herself dangling from a climbing frame for more than 35 minutes, breaking the previous record for a female "dead hang" of exactly 12 minutes.

However, Guinness World Records have rejected her application, saying under-16s are unable to attempt it because of its "highly physically demanding" nature.

Helena's family and her local MP have both called on the organisation to re-think their ruling.

Helena's mother, Nafiseh, said: "It's not fair that she's been disqualified without any good reason. She's worked so hard for the record and it's what she deserves. Since she was born she's been extraordinarily strong."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/articles/ckv48d097kzo

Back