• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World Records (Miscellaneous)

Yes there is. It used to be in The Book but I've not checked for a few years. We had a brief discussion on the topic in 2021. I expect Ashrita Furman is still the person to beat, his website claims he's set 700 records.

oxo
Interesting paradox? If the 700 records is 699 other records, plus the 1 extra world record for having the most world records, then...

If you got 700 "other" records, would you also get the extra 1 for having the most records to make 701 and beat Ashrita Furman? Or would you need 701 other records to beat them, then get the extra 1 for having the most, and therefore beat Ashrita Furman by 2?

Interesting paradox? If the 700 records is 699 other records, plus the 1 extra world record for having the most world records, then...

If you got 700 "other" records, would you also get the extra 1 for having the most records to make 701 and beat Ashrita Furman? Or would you need 701 other records to beat them, then get the extra 1 for having the most, and therefore beat Ashrita Furman by 2?
^^^ Wot he said.....

Apparently you can buy your Guinness World Record.
This expensive thing is unmoderated and quite literally awards you whatever record you want recorded on the framed certificate.

This expensive thing is unmoderated and quite literally awards you whatever record you want recorded on the framed certificate.

My reading of the GWR website (I'm unregistered so based on only the 'public' info) suggests that's true of corporate activity only.

There are two routes to getting a record. The 'business' route described as "An account-managed solution that will help you find the perfect record title to suit your brand or organisation’s objectives" is about media events and publicity, so, yes, you make up the category you want.

But the 'individuals' route, which includes all the wacky stuff that people send to GWR has multiple cautions about how your proposed record may not be accepted - it could fail to be an acceptable category to GWR, or you could fail to evidence your attempt adequately.

Anyway, from my reading of this page you can still break an existing record for free, or set up a new category for only £5/$5. Which would be pretty good value if it includes a GWR certificate!

oxo

Last edited:
Another kooky record.

Ghanaian chef Failatu Abdul-Razak appears to have broken the world record after cooking non-stop for more than 227 hours.

Wrapped in her country's flag, Ms Abdul-Razak brought the cook-a-thon to an emotional end with a salute to the crowd on Wednesday.

Prior to the cooking marathon, she called it a "national assignment", saying that she was doing it for Ghana.

People cheered as she walked out of the hotel kitchen, in the city of Tamale.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-67934187

Another kooky record.

Ghanaian chef Failatu Abdul-Razak appears to have broken the world record after cooking non-stop for more than 227 hours.

Wrapped in her country's flag, Ms Abdul-Razak brought the cook-a-thon to an emotional end with a salute to the crowd on Wednesday.

Prior to the cooking marathon, she called it a "national assignment", saying that she was doing it for Ghana.

More than nine days...!!!!

Another kooky record.

"GWR responded to Ms Abdul-Razak's feat on X, formerly known as Twitter by saying: "We look forward to reviewing her evidence!""

Can they deny her record if the evidence is inedible?

I've just looked into this because I was going to get one for the Mrs. Unfortunately unless I'm missing something, you don't get a choice what's written on it so it seems you can only order 'world's most brilliant person'? .. She wants instead 'world's loudest sneezer' because when she sneezes, she doesn't just sneeze but issues a blood curdling projected scream. She doesn't fake this and put it on, it's genuine and I've watched shoppers jump in the air or/and drop their shopping. I'm used to it now and so are her co workers but it's funny as **** to watch members of the public's reactions.

https://store.guinnessworldrecords.com/product_info.php?products_id=32

How can someone stay awake for 9 days?

Standard GWR rules for duration events allow competitors to take 5mins rest for each completed hour of activity. So cook for 12 hours then take one hour snooze, awake refreshed and ready to cook some more. Or keep going for 24 hours then sleep for two, or shorter breaks more frequently. Or do what Swifty said.

That's one way.

On a more serious note, on every website I looked on about the subject leads me to seriously question that the lady could stay awake for nine days in the first place and secondly function as a human being let alone cook at the same time.

For example:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/how-long-without-sleep
Yeah I agree. It's unlikely for the reasons you've stated and also going to be very unhealthy .. hopefully she was drinking water and being monitored by health professionals if it's true.

That's one way.

On a more serious note, on every website I looked on about the subject leads me to seriously question that the lady could stay awake for nine days in the first place and secondly function as a human being let alone cook at the same time.

For example:

https://www.sleepfoundation.org/how-sleep-works/how-long-without-sleep
From the website

"While studies on total sleep deprivation were conducted through the mid-1900s, few studies have been conducted since."

I'm assuming the mid 1900's is somewhere around the middle of the twentieth century, say the late '30's to 1945 or so?

Wasn't there a situation in the 50's where to drum up publicity, a feller was stationed in a shop window to be filmed staying awake for as long as possible to go for a 'world record'? IIRC he did pretty well ... until the hallucinations kicked in and he had a psychotic breakdown?

I see that Wikipedia's list of the longest-living dogs starts at around 21 years.

Lower than that, I suppose the numbers increase exponentially. Even so, I think my dear old doggie, Spot, did very well to reach 19 years!

Those were pre-microchip days, of course and God help anyone who attempted to work out her breed!

Probably, her ridiculous gene-swamp assisted her longevity! :loveu:

A good heart is hard to find.

The longest-surviving heart transplant patient, who underwent his operation in England, has been recognised by Guinness World Records.

Bert Janssen, 57, from the Netherlands, has survived 39 years with the donor heart he received at Harefield Hospital in London in the 1980s.

After developing flu-like symptoms when he was 17, Mr Janssen was diagnosed with cardiomyopathy, a condition that impacts the heart’s ability to pump blood around the body.

His cardiologist in his home country had ties with Harefield Hospital and transplant pioneer Professor Magdi Yacoub, who eventually carried out the operation on June 6 1984 as the patient had turned 18.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/world/arid-41327134.html

A man has been awarded the Guinness World Record for the world's tallest structure using matchsticks - after first having his effort rejected.

The Frenchman, Richard Plaud, had built a model of the Eiffel Tower using over 700,000 matchsticks, but said that they rejected him because the structure must be built from matches that are available to the public for purchase and don't have flammable red tips - and they must "not be cut, disassembled or deformed to the point where they are no longer recognised" as matches.

https://news.sky.com/story/man-buil...s-only-to-have-world-record-rejected-13065876

Back