• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World's 10 Most Mysterious Pictures Ever Taken

Thanks, I love anomalous photos! :D

Baboushka Lady I suspect is just an old lady... Wasn't convinced the pic shown was her actually using a camera to film, rather just screening her eyes from the sun.

The Black Knight Satellite though... What the heck! :eek:

I just read through that whole article to find it was a thermal blanket, only to come back here to find you'd beaten me to it.

What is the photo that is being show 20 seconds into the video?

Anybody know what it is or its significance?

Interesting to see one of the the other holiday snaps, taken alongside the so called 'Solway Firth Spaceman' photo. It looks like the little girl's mum, on all fours, on the right hand side, with most of her out of the photo, except for her circa 1964 style skirt and what looks like a white cardigan. The same white cardigan she's probably wearing, whilst standing behind her daughter, with her back to the camera, in the infamous photograph. Does anybody know if there are any more photos from from those holiday snaps to be seen, around the web? Because, I'd like to know if mum was also wearing a circa 1964, matching white headscarf.

;)

ChrisBoardman said:

Good question, I was expecting it to be one of the ten!

Pietro_Mercurios said:
Interesting to see one of the the other holiday snaps, taken alongside the so called 'Solway Firth Spaceman' photo. It looks like the little girl's mum, on all fours, on the right hand side, with most of her out of the photo, except for her circa 1964 style skirt and what looks like a white cardigan. The same white cardigan she's probably wearing, whilst standing behind her daughter, with her back to the camera, in the infamous photograph. Does anybody know if there are any more photos from from those holiday snaps to be seen, around the web? Because, I'd like to know if mum was also wearing a circa 1964, matching white headscarf.

;)

Yes, I also noticed this shape, though I took it to be discarded clothing. It certainly looks much the same colour as the spaceman. It seems disingenuous of the editor of the video to claim the picture has never been explained, when many people have had a go at it!

Good stuff.

The Hook Island one gave me goose bumps :oops:

Another theory about the Hook Island one is that it could be a fishing trawlers net that came loose and drifted to the shore.

ChrisBoardman said:
Another theory about the Hook Island one is that it could be a fishing trawlers net that came loose and drifted to the shore.

Actually it could be...well, that's what i'll keep telling myself ;)

I enjoyed that. Thank you, Sherbertbizare.

sherbetbizarre said:
ChrisBoardman said:

Good question, I was expecting it to be one of the ten!

I saw a simulacra of a jolly green giant sat to the left of the two people...

I think the Solway Firth Spaceman is someone stood with their back to the camera looking up at the sky with their right arm resting on their hip.

Hadn't heard of the Hessdalen lights, and it's very interesting to know someone has manage to work out an earthlight's content. The pyramid on the moon is fun, but I suspect it's a camera artefact from a botched snap. If only we had the Babooshka woman's photos, what a story they would tell.

gncxx said:
The pyramid on the moon is fun, but I suspect it's a camera artefact from a botched snap.
The pyramid is real, but of course the large vertical bar discolorations that also show up are camera artifacts, or something. ;)

OneWingedBird said:
That spook soldier still weirds me out!

It looks as if the soldier at the left moved his head while the photo was taken, creating a "ghost" image of his own face rather than an actual ghost of someone who'd recently died.

Pietro_Mercurios said:

There are 3 photos, and all this has been discussed in considerable detail in the thread entitled Cumberland Spaceman (the alternate label for the famous photo / incident):

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/cumberland-spaceman.5003/

Last edited:
Last edited by a moderator:
gncxx said:
OneWingedBird said:

It looks as if the soldier at the left moved his head while the photo was taken, creating a "ghost" image of his own face rather than an actual ghost of someone who'd recently died.
I don't think so, the ghost image doesn't appear to have a cap, have a close look here...

gncxx said:
OneWingedBird said:

If he had done that then there would be a big blur in the photo, I'll have another look at work tomorrow where my internet connection is better.

Actually, the ghost is the only person not wearing a hat. So if it is a fake then he must have stood behind the guy in front and then quickly moved behind.

Ronson8 said:
gncxx said:
OneWingedBird said:

I don't think so, the ghost image doesn't appear to have a cap, have a close look here...

I'm not convinced about the lack of a hat. You can only see part of the face, and the apparent upper forehead of the 'ghost' I think is a blob from the developing process. Have to see a clearer reproduction to be sure. In any case, someone moving while the picture was taken - possibly someone not otherwise in the picture - is about several million times more likely than it being a real photo of a ghost. I have seen some worrying photos in my time but this isn't one of them.

If it's a ghost, then the afterlife has lighting which replicates the highlights on the other soldier's ear-tip and lobe. A blur is not always evident on those old "time" exposures, which give us the ghost feet of pedestrians who are otherwise invisible. As Cochise has mentioned, the perceived lack of a cap is probably a stain. Looking closely, the receding hairline effect could also be interpreted as a large swelling on the ghost's forehead - with a shadow beneath it. Much the same shadow as that of the cap, in fact!

I have often seen the picture reproduced but usually in too small a scale to notice these things. :)

I'm sure someone has previously matched the "Freddie/Freddy Jackson ghost" face with another from the photograph and, yep, it turned out to be one of the people in the photo having a larf.

Watching the video yesterday I was thinking that if we are being told that it is a spitting image of the dead soldier who died that very day then surely we should be able to see an image of him to confirm it is the same guy. Has there ever been produced an image of the supposedly dead soldier?

Back