• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World's Youngest Mother (Lina Medina; Peru; 1939)

Mighty_Emperor

Gone But Not Forgotten
(ACCOUNT RETIRED)
LinaMedina.jpg

Peruvian five-year-old Lina Medina, accompanied by her 11-month-old-son Gerardo, and Doctor Lozada who attended her son's birth, are shown in this 1940 file photo taken in Lima's hospital.

When her child was born by Caesarean section in May 1939, Medina made medical history, and is still the youngest known mother in the world.

Lina Medina's parents thought their 5-year-old daughter had a huge abdominal tumor and when shamans in their remote village in Peru's Andes could find no cure, her father carried her to a hospital.

Just over a month later, she gave birth to a boy.

Medina was born on September 27, 1933 in the small village of Paurange. She was only 5 years 8 months old at the birth of her child on Mother's Day, May 14, 1939.

Born at full term at Lima's maternity clinic, her child was taken through a caesarian operation (Dr. Lozada and Busalleu, operators, Dr. Colretta, anesthesiologist). The child (boy), weighing 2,700 grams, was well formed and in good health. Child and mother were able to leave the clinic after only a few days.

Doctor Lozada has conducted very detailed studies since the diagnostic of the pregnancy which aroused much curiosity in the country; he took an x-ray of the child and her baby, established a diagnostic of the fetal situation, observed the state of functionality of the little mother who had begun menstruating at the age of 8 months. At four years old she had already developed breasts as well as pubic hair, her body proportions were a bit amazing and her bone hardening a bit advanced, things that are often observed in cases of such premature pregnancy.

After taunting from schoolmates, Medina's son, Gerardo - who was named after one of the doctors who attended Medina and who became their mentor - discovered when he was 10 that the person he had grown up believing to be his sister was in fact his mother.

Gerardo died in 1979 at age 40 from a disease that attacks the body's bone marrow, but it was said it was not clear there was any link with his illness and the fact his mother had been so young at his birth.

Medina herself married and in 1972 had a second son, 33 years after her first. Her second child now lives in Mexico.

http://youngest_mother.tripod.com/

Six decades later, world’s youngest mother awaits aid

Lima, Aug. 26 (Reuters): Lina Medina’s parents thought their five-year-old daughter had a huge abdominal tumour and when shamans in their remote village in Peru’s Andes could find no cure, her father carried her to hospital.

Just over a month later, she gave birth to a boy.

Aged five years, seven months and 21-days-old when her child was born by Caesarean section in May 1939, Medina made medical history, and is still the youngest known mother in the world. At the time, Peru’s government promised aid that never materialised. Six decades on, Medina lives with her husband in a cramped house in a poor, crime-ridden district of Lima known as “Little Chicago.”

Now 68, she keeps to herself and has long refused requests to rake up the past. Gerardo, the son she delivered while still a child herself, died in 1979 at the age of 40. But a new book, written by an obstetrician who has been interested in her case, has drawn fresh attention to Medina’s story, and raised the prospect that the Peruvian government may belatedly offer her financial and other assistance. “The government condemned them to live in poverty. In any other country, they would be the objects of special care,” Jose Sandoval, author of Mother Aged 5, said.

“We still have time to repair the damage done to her. That’s my fundamental objective,” he added. Sandoval has raised Medina’s case with the office of First Lady Eliane Karp, and has asked the government to grant her a life pension — something officials say is possible. “We’re totally willing to help her,” said spokeswoman Marta Castaneda. But Suni Ramos, of the social action department of Karp’s office, said that before the government could grant her a pension or any other of the aid it was already planning — such as kitchen and other household equipment — it needed to talk to her to discuss what she wanted and needed.

It is currently trying to contact Medina and her family. Medina’s husband, Raul Jurado, said his wife remained sceptical. “She got no help (in 1939) that I know about,” he said. “She thinks governments never deliver. Maybe today there will be a promise that will never come true.”

Jurado said his wife, whose story is a medical textbook classic and whose case is confirmed as true by such bodies as the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists, had turned down Reuters’ request for an interview.

No one has ever established who was the father of Medina’s child, or confirmed she became pregnant after being raped.

One of nine children born to country folk in Ticrapo, an Andean village at an altitude of 7,400 feet in Peru’s poorest province, Medina is believed to be the youngest case of precocious puberty in history, Sandoval said.

He said she had her first period at two-and-a-half, became pregnant aged four years and eight months and that when doctors performed the Caesarean to deliver her baby, they found she already had fully mature sexual organs.

telegraphindia.com/1020827/asp/foreign/story_1140311.asp
Link is dead. The MIA webpage (quoted in full above) can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2016102...dia.com/1020827/asp/foreign/story_1140311.asp

See also:

listas.rcp.net.pe/pipermail/salud/2002-August/000494.html
Link is dead. The MIA web article can be accessed via the Wayback Machine:
https://web.archive.org/web/2004010...et.pe/pipermail/salud/2002-August/000494.html

I think the scariest thing is the picture of the doctor (attached).

Emps

Last edited by a moderator:
So that's what happened to Mengele!

The identity of the father is a fascinating question. A rape, or sexual abuse by a male relative is the obvious answer, but we don't seem to have any evidence. (Genetic tests on the remains of the child might give a clue, but you would probably then have to test the remains of anyone who might have been in the right place at the right time.)

I seem to recall a story about the world's youngest Grandmother being 18. (I believe both her and her daughter conceived at about 9, right at the start of puberty.) My only reference is the Simon Townsend's Wonder World cartoon (in the same vein as the Ripley's cartoons in newspapers, but tied in to a popular children's TV show here), which I read in a paper somewhere about 20 or more years ago. Again the identity of the father wasn't mentioned, possibly because it was felt primary school children shouldn't be confronted with such issues.

And i was sure this thread was going to mention the Medway Towns...

Essex can be just as bad. A girl I went to the same school with fell pregnant just past her 13th birthday, as her mother had had her at 16 this meant she was a grandmother at 29.

The child is now 25 and has children and made his grandmother a great-grandmother at the age of 47. Strangely enough his parents now grandparents (at my age!!!!) are still together.

I think I got all the ages right :confused:

radio 4 had some shockign statistics just now... one in forty 13 yr olds active sexualy.. and in parts of south london one in ninty pregnant women HIV positive....

Only recently there was a story about an 11-year-old (11-year-young?) mum. In Mexico, I believe.

Raises that age old question that we used argue in sociology about really. If a female is biologically capable of giving birth, then is right or wrong that she does regardless of age?

I wondered, did she definitely give birth or could it have been one of these lost twin events?

Kath

stonedoggy said:
I wondered, did she definitely give birth or could it have been one of these lost twin events?

Kath

Why aren't you in bed?!?

I thought with lost twin events that they usually gave birth to a malformed stillborn about two or three years afterwards? If this wasn't the case, then you'd have had a five year old giving birth to a five year old, which would be odd for two reasons :-

1. Twins are not connected in the same way that mother and child are, so there would be no conceivable way for the carrier to provide the lost twin with nourishment (unless there was some kind of abnormal umbilical cord.. or something).

2. Her cervix would not be able to handle something of that size.. in fact, her whole body wouldn't. Maybe a standard sized baby.. well, not maybe.. it happened.. but not something that was near enough the same size as her. Which would be freaky.

Now we all know that women are born with all the eggs that they're ever going to have, so it seems more likely that she was the victim of a paedophile, and for some reason, she had mature ova. That's if the whole thing is TRUE, of course.

Because I lacked a stern instruction! off now sir!

and you've sorted it all out for me ta!

I'd hug you before leaving but you'd only melt at me.....

Kath:D

Gloria X said:
Only recently there was a story about an 11-year-old (11-year-young?) mum. In Mexico, I believe.

Not sre if this it:

11-year-old girl gives birth in Ukraine
- - - - - - - - - - - -
ASSOCIATED PRESS

Jan. 23, 2004 | KIEV, Ukraine (AP) -- An 11-year-old girl has given birth to a healthy baby boy, becoming Ukraine's youngest mother on record, a newspaper reported Thursday.

Surgeons at hospital No. 5 in the eastern city of Kharkiv delivered the infant by Caesarean section Tuesday, the Fakty daily said, citing the unidentified mother's doctor, Valentyn Gryshchenko.

Both are in good health, but will remain in the hospital under observation for a week. The baby weighed nearly 8 1/2 pounds.

The family of the sixth-grader refused to stop the pregnancy and ``put everything in the hands of fate,'' Gryshchenko was quoted as saying.

The boy is expected to live at home with his mother and grandmother.

The newborn's alleged father is a 26-year-old neighbor who fled fearing criminal charges when he learned of the girl's pregnancy, Fakty said. If convicted of having sexual relations with a minor, he faces a maximum prison sentence of three years.

The Guinness Book of World Records no longer keeps records of young mothers.

In 1993, an 8-year-old girl gave birth to a boy in Guadalajara, Mexico, doctors there confirmed.

salon.com/news/wire/2004/01/23/girl/index.html
Link is dead. No archived version found.

stonedoggy: I think her having gone through earl puberty would imply it was done the more conventional route - is there a thread on babies who born pregnant or does this even happen?

Emps

Re the sociological question of whether a girl 'should' give birth young if she 'can', I have debated this and easily won the argument by citing other ways in which a person's human rights are more important than the abstract philosophical question.

Thus
- people can be killed and eaten as meat. Should they be?
- pets can be killed and eaten as meat. Is it right to eat people's pets?
- children may be used for the sexual gratification of adults. Is this right?

Just because something CAN occur does not make it compulsory or desirable because humans have moral obligations to one another which override the potential advantages.

So being technically fertile at a young age is not an advantage to a young girl because to become pregnant she must have sex, to which as a child she legally and morally cannot consent and so which constitutes abuse.
Further, both intercourse and pregnancy/childbirth place women at risk in terms of health and these risks are immeasurably higher for children.

Personally, I am concerned that very young girls having babies indicates that lots of children are probably being subjected to sex at too young an age, who never come to the attention of the public or authorities.
:(

A sad story:

Eight-year-old is pregnant

From correspondents in Bogota
September 10, 2004

A GIRL aged eight has been found to be pregnant.

Police, who suspected that she was transporting illegal drugs in her stomach, rushed the girl to a hospital in Meissen, southern Bogota.

Doctors there found that the child was 32 weeks pregnant after being raped.

The girl said she had been attacked by an employee at a pharmacy near her home.

news.com.au/common/story_page/0,4057,10723091%5E401,00.html
Link is dead. No archived version found.

RE: posts by Mr Snowman and escargot -

If a girl is sexually mature, does that mean her brain has also developed at an accelerated rate? Because kids' and even teenagers' aren't finished developing. That suggests another potential objection to the "can=should" line of thought.

On a side note, menstrating at 8 months?!?:eek!!!!:

We were talking about Lina Medina on another forum I post at, and the first thing I wondered was if the story was true or not, so I came here and opened up Snopes to see what they had to say.

Snopes' article (not worksafe as it has a picture of Lina which I assume was taken in documenting her pregnancy) on Lina has some interesting information about the collaborating studies of Lina made at the time that haven't already been mentioned as far as I can tell:

While in Lima Dr. [S.L. Christian, assistant surgeon general of the U.S. Public Health Service] examined Lina Medina, the Indian child-mother whose baby was born last May when the mother was about 5 years old. He said that although there was some confusion as to whether the mother was 5 or 6, there was no doubt of the authenticity of the case, which he described as the most amazing thing in his career as a physician.

and

The possibility of a girl becoming a mother at the age of 5, as reported on Sunday from Lima, Peru, was upheld today by Dr. Joseph B. De Lee, obstetrics authority of Chicago Lying-in Hospital.

Dr. De Lee cited the case of a Russian girl who became a mother at the age of 6½. According to the physician who reported the case in a German medical journal, Dr. De Lee said, the mother had the physical development of a girl 10 or 12 years old.

It also mentions that there was discussion about bringing Lina and her son to the US for further tests in Chicago, but that they couldn't find evidence it had happened. Wonder if it was dropped as WWII heated up?

(Hope its okay ressurecting this old thread; but I thought this was a pretty interesting)

That's OK, it's fun bringing the old ones back, especially as a lot of newbies might not be aware of the older threads. :)

As for 'youngest mothers' we had a thread somewhere (Fortean News) discussing an announcement that it will soon be possible for a child to be born whose mother hasn't been.

Yes, digest that thought.

That's actually a pretty creepy concept, to be honest, about the unborn (or aborted) foetal egg harvesting. I'd hate to be the kid who found out his true mom was an aborted foetus...

Anyhow, just to add, the thread on the other forum that brought up Lina and got me to post here was from a BBC news story about three sisters, aged 12, 14, and 16, who all gave birth within a year from each other:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4572219.stm

Their mother Julie Atkins, 38, who said the girls were too young and had ruined their lives, blamed schools for providing poor quality sex education. ... Mrs Atkins told the Sunday Mercury: "I don't care what people say about me. I blame the schools - sex education for young girls should be better."

Um, hello lady, isn't that YOUR job? And shouldn't you be keeping an eye on what your kids are doing?! May those girls be better mothers than she was (although, sadly, I doubt it; I think they're going to wind up like the girl I mentioned on the hoodies thread)

Age Six

I have a fairly clear memory of my Mother reading a newspaper account aloud to my Father, around 1948, concerning the birth of a child to a girl of six. Mom stopped reading when she realized that I was in the room and paying too much attention. (I was six or seven at the time.) The paper was the old CINCINNAT TIMES-STAR, which went belly-up in 1958.

My memory is that this took place in Peru, like the case Emps contributed.

I also remember that there was a picture of the tiny girl holding the baby.

Because of this I'd always erroneously assumed that six was the record.

P. S. I also recall Mom and Dad speculating on what sort of no-good lowlife had fathered the child.

Britain's youngest-to-be:
Pregnant at 11 and 'happy to be a mum'
By Catriona Davies
(Filed: 14/05/2006)

A 12-year-old girl will become Britain's youngest mother when she gives birth next month.

She became pregnant at the age of 11 when she lost her virginity to a 15-year-old boy during a drunken night out.

Police said yesterday that the boy had been charged with rape and had appeared in Edinburgh sheriff court. He will appear again on July 10.

When the baby is born, the girl will be 12 years and eight months old, a month younger than Britain's previous youngest mother, Jenny Teague, who gave birth in 1997.

The girl, from Edinburgh, smokes 20 cigarettes a day but has insisted she is ready for motherhood.

"I didn't think I'd get pregnant because it was my first time, but I'm really excited and looking forward to being a mum," she said. "I can't wait to take the baby swimming and out for walks in the pram. I think I'll be able to cope as I've had lots of practice looking after my brothers.

"I can give up smoking at any time, but I don't find it affects my pregnancy."

The girl's mother, who is supporting her daughter, is 34 and has an eight-month-old baby boy of her own. She said: "I'm not ashamed of my daughter. In fact, I'm proud of her for keeping her baby."

The girl left school after being excluded for fighting.

Nanette Milne, the Conservative health spokesman in the Scottish Parliament, said: "I hope that this will draw attention to failings that have allowed such a young girl to go on a night out, get drunk, get pregnant, yet seemingly be ignorant about the risks and consequences."

Lothian and Borders police said yesterday that the 15-year-old father had been charged with rape. He has already appeared in Edinburgh sheriff court and will appear again on July 10.
http://tinyurl.com/hotum

Words fail me!

Yay! Another Pramface! A drunken night out aged 11??

I think the females should also be held accountable for their own actions, they get too much protection from the law.

The girl, from Edinburgh, smokes 20 cigarettes a day but has insisted she is ready for motherhood.
"I can give up smoking at any time, but I don't find it affects my pregnancy."
The stupid fuck-wit wouldn't, would she:
"I didn't think I'd get pregnant because it was my first time...

As for the mother... :roll:

I think all those who have seen my previous posts on other threads can imagine my point of view...I'll say no more. No...you did not hear the sound of any weaponry being cocked (oops, bad choice of word)... :lol:

painy2 said:
I think the females should also be held accountable for their own actions, they get too much protection from the law.

Um...which females are we talking about here? The 11 year old? Rape victims? Please elaborate further.

Intercourse with females under 16 is Statutory Rape.

(Fair enough, in most cases.)

But here we have two drunken kids getting it on.

So many discussion points:

Kids that age shouldn't be getting drunk, for one. (Or smoking.)

But the girl sounds a tearaway anyhow:
The girl left school after being excluded for fighting.

At least her mum loves her - which is worrying, in the lack of parental responsibility demonstrated.

Needless to say none of those feckless people in that family are working...ah I'm wasting my breath aren't I? :roll:

Back