• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

World's Youngest Mother (Lina Medina; Peru; 1939)

Well, I'm not sure there's much to be gained by mocking the social girl and her family. It's just a very very sad story :cry:

Quake42 said:
Well, I'm not sure there's much to be gained by mocking the social girl and her family.
'Social Girl', eh?

Is that the latest euphemism for a slag or a slapper? 8)

'Social Girl', eh?

Is that the latest euphemism for a slag or a slapper?

Good grief... I have no idea what I meant to type there! In my defence I was woken at 5.30am by someone in the flat opposite playing IRA songs at top volume...

To all those who feel it necessary to level personal abuse at this 11 year old child, does it give you a huge sense of moral superiority to mock children who have not had the advantages you have had in life? By all means blame the mother who's obviously done an awful job bringing her up - she's an adult and should know better but this girl is 11. She's a child. She cannot possibly understand what she's doing. She may be copying what she's seen and running wild because she's had no good examples to follow but I doubt if she's deliberately set out to get herself in this situation.

It doesn't impress me to see a grown man calling an 11 year old girl a "stupid fuckwit" and backhandedly calling her a slag. She's a child-rape victim. Perhaps her rapist didn't actually hold her down and force himself on her, but when a 15 year old boy has sex with an 11 year old girl she is a victim and deserves sympathy, not abuse.

There is of course the issue of whether an 11 can consent to sex. Consent being contingent on being able to make an informed choice. It's pretty obvious that she didn't know enough to understand exactly what was happening.
I believe the 'father' has been charged with rape.

What really pisses me off is the 20 cigarettes a day. Who is the adult supplying them? This is effectively child abuse, both of the pregnant and the unborn child.

It has been alleged that the girls mother smokes heroin, the girls herself denies this and says there are no drugs in the house and that "I did smoke cannabis the night I got pregnant, but I would never have done it if I hadn't been drunk." :nooo: And remember (for those who forget) she was ELEVEN. Poor kids, the girl and the baby. :nooo:

THE Lothian schoolgirl set to become Britain's youngest mother told today how she is saving up her pocket money to support the baby.

And the 12-year-old from Armadale is ready to take on a paper round to bring in some extra cash for the child's needs.

The girl was just 11 when she fell pregnant after a drunken night out with friends in Edinburgh last August.

In an interview with The Sun, she admitted she had smoked cannabis before having sex with a boy, believed to be 15.

But she said that was the only time she had taken any drugs.

The girl, who smokes up to 20 roll-up cigarettes a day and started drinking aged ten, is reported as having quit school following a string of exclusions for fighting with fellow pupils.

In the interview, she also hit out at weekend reports that her mother had a £30 a day drug habit and that drug dealers had sold heroin from the family's council flat.

She said: "I did smoke cannabis the night I got pregnant, but I would never have done it if I hadn't been drunk.

"I'd never tried it before and I haven't taken it again. I don't believe in doing drugs and I wouldn't have any baby near them.

"I couldn't bring a child home to this house if there were any drugs here."

She added: "I get upset when people call my mum a junkie. It's just not true." She said she had got a job in a chip shop to save up for the baby, but lost it when she was found to be too young to work.

The girl said: "I get £10 pocket money every week so I'm putting it in the bank and I've managed to save about £60 so far.

"Normally I would spend my money on sweets or surprises for my family.

"Not long ago I spent the lot on a picnic for me and my wee brother, which we had in our back garden.

"I started a job at the chippy because I wanted money to be able to buy nice things for my baby, or take it out places, like the swimming pool.

"I was disappointed when I got sacked, but I'm willing to go out and do a paper round, even though I'm eight months pregnant, if it helps me save some money."

The girl and her family are determined she should bring the baby home, with her, despite warnings that the child could be taken into care.

The girl's mother, who has six other children, said: "I'm not proud of the way my daughter behaved, but I am proud of the way she's handling things now."

And the girl added: "I don't want the social work watching over me all the time once the baby is born. But if that's what it takes to be able to keep my child, then I'll let them do it.

"I know how to look after a baby and know I can do this. I wish people would stop judging me and give me a chance."

From the Evening News
Link is dead. No archived version found.

Last edited by a moderator:
rynner said:
The girl, from Edinburgh, smokes 20 cigarettes a day but has insisted she is ready for motherhood.
"I can give up smoking at any time, but I don't find it affects my pregnancy."
The stupid fuck-wit wouldn't, would she:
"I didn't think I'd get pregnant because it was my first time...

As for the mother... :roll:

To be fair to the girl, I got sex education at primary school and off my parents, but at around her age I was only just learning, for example, that men get erections, or that you don't wee blood when you have a period. Everyone believes stupid stuff when they're 11.

She deserves a slap for the smoking thing though, I mean she can read the bloody packet, surely.

Given everything else, this is very inconsequential point, but is she allowed to work at age 12? Not the paper round, but the chip shop, I'm thinking. And how is she allowed to quit school?

Shouldn't she be taken into care? I appreciate that doesn't necessarily guarantee that her lot will improve, but - well - could it get very much worse?

In 1964 in east Tennessee (appalachia) when I was in 8th grade (age 13) at least 3 girls got pregnant in my class. Times being what they were, they all married the fathers, who in most cases were in their early 20's. This happened all the time. When an 11 year old in town got pregnant and married however people did talk. I remember clearly walking into the clinic where my dad, a physician, worked and hearing that 11 year old screaming in labor. I, a very protected virgin, was totally aghast of course. However, she had the baby ok and raised it and as far as I know stayed married, altho college was out, not that it had ever been in. I believe at least one of the girls in my 8th grade class also has remained married to her first husband. Although she dropped out of school very early, several of her children have gone on to college and were in gifted classes. But that sort of thing, the very early marriage, doesn't happen even around here anymore.

Back