• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Wright-Patterson UFO?

A

Anonymous

Charlie Lorance

It was the summer of 1968 or possibly 1969. My family and I were living in a suburb of Dayton Ohio, near Wright-Patterson Air Force Base where my father was stationed. Wright-Pat was Strategic Air Command Headquarters then, and a bit spooky around the edges. That was where Project Blue Book was being wound up, and the rumors about Hanger 18 started. There were odd little buildings all over the base with signs out front like LASER RESEARCH. We lived in a newly built suburb near some woods.I was eleven or twelve, and got to hang out with my friends until it got dark.

One of my friends was a girl who lived nearby and I had ridden my bicycle to her house. It was nearly sunset and we saw something in the west, over a wooded area. It was an object that was projecting an intense beam of light underneath it. The light formed a triangle and we immediately felt the hair on the back of our necks stand up. We knew it was a UFO.

http://www.forteantimes.com/happened/wpufo.shtml

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi (I wrote the ShadowMan story)

About the streetlights well as im drving my car around i notice streetlights go out when im right under them and its the same one's each time ! and it does it when im in a friends car, it mainly happens when im argree and stessed out but sometimes when im really relaxed hmmmm its werid. I have told my friends about it and when we drive under a streetlight and it turns out i normally look at my friends and they look at me and i say "did u see that light go out" and they say "yes" and no one really says anything else, ive told them that they always go out when im on my own and i said i think its me but they just laugh.

OR it could be this....some streetlamps are faulty and they go on and off on there own, and as i said it always seems to be the same one ! so it might just be that theres so many streetlamps with bulbs (lamps) that need replacing and they just blink on and off now and then and it just so happens that you are under it as it goes off, BY THE WAY they come on aswell sometimes when im under them so its like they have gone off before and then come back on, abit like broken neon lights.

Ohwell i dunno, my house lights dont turn off when im inside so i doubt the streetlamp blinking has anything to do with me.

The link in post #1 is long dead. Here's the complete 2002 text, salvaged from the Wayback Machine ...

NOTE: The very last part explains the seemingly anomalous post #2 above.

-------------------------------------------
WRIGHT-PATTERSON UFO?

Charlie Lorance

It was the summer of 1968 or possibly 1969. My family and I were living in a suburb of Dayton Ohio, near Wright-Patterson Air Force Base where my father was stationed. Wright-Pat was Strategic Air Command Headquarters then, and a bit spooky around the edges. That was where Project Blue Book was being wound up, and the rumors about Hanger 18 started. There were odd little buildings all over the base with signs out front like LASER RESEARCH. We lived in a newly built suburb near some woods.I was eleven or twelve, and got to hang out with my friends until it got dark.

One of my friends was a girl who lived nearby and I had ridden my bicycle to her house. It was nearly sunset and we saw something in the west, over a wooded area. It was an object that was projecting an intense beam of light underneath it. The light formed a triangle and we immediately felt the hair on the back of our necks stand up. We knew it was a UFO. My friend decided that she should immediately go inside her house. I was scared to ride my bicycle home, even though it was a short ride. I looked back for the light, and sure enough it was moving in my direction. I rode as fast as I could and the thing passed directly over me, lighting up the entire street. I didn't tell my parents, and I don't know how I hid my fear.

The next evening my mother was reading the newspaper, and said, "Oh look, Wright-Pat says they're testing a new helicopter with an experimental high intensity light for night fighting in Vietnam. It says the light is so bright you could read the newspaper by it." I was relieved, the UFO was only a helicopter! Then later I got scared when I realized all the Hueys at the base made a loud blub-blub with their blades, and whatever flew over me was silent.

Was the newspaper story a cover-up for a UFO? Was it the first "Black Helicopter" with stealth technology blades? Was it an ordinary helicopter and my heart was pounding louder than the blades? All I know is some twenty years later I discovered I have an odd talent. Whenever I'm driving at night, and I'm in a very emotional state of mind, a streetlight will wink out like it was hit by a rock. This has happened on many occasions, and sometimes twice while I'm driving around. It only happens when I'm in a highly emotional state.I've pointed it out to my wife, and she told me to never mention it again. I would be interested to hear from others who have this "talent" (see Street Light Interference thread).

--------------------------------------------

SALVAGED FROM: https://web.archive.org/web/20070226101159/http://www.forteantimes.com:80/happened/wpufo.shtml

This may be a nit but WPAFB was never the headquarters of the Strategic Air Command. If the poster's father was stationed there, he ought to have known that. As for his experience, he had already made up his mind that the object was a UFO. It wouldn't surprise me if it was indeed a helicopter and, in his fright, he simply didn't remember hearing it.

As for his superpower of turning off streetlights, I must have it too. There are certain streetlights that will turn on or off as I approach in a car. However, rather than submit my application to the X-Men, I think I will chalk it up to a faulty sensor switch that is tripped by the motion or vibration of an approaching vehicle.

This may be a nit but WPAFB was never the headquarters of the Strategic Air Command. If the poster's father was stationed there, he ought to have known that. ...

There was a SAC bomber wing stationed at WPAFB during the 1960's, and that's almost certainly what the OP was referring to. However, WPAFB was never the site of SAC headquarters.

The thing he did get right is that, for decades, WPAFB has been a center for laser research. I worked there briefly about 15 years ago and there were a number of stories at that time about beams of laser light emanating from a strange tower on the base.

There are supposed to be miles of tunnels and underground facilities at the base. This includes the infamous Blue Room. I heard from a few Air Force vets that the Blue Room was a real place but they insisted it had nothing to do with alleged extraterrestrial artifacts. Unfortunately they provided no additional details. :(

There are supposed to be miles of tunnels and underground facilities at the base. This includes the infamous Blue Room. I heard from a few Air Force vets that the Blue Room was a real place but they insisted it had nothing to do with alleged extraterrestrial artifacts. Unfortunately they provided no additional details. :(
'Infamous'?

Hi (I wrote the ShadowMan story)

About the streetlights well as im drving my car around i notice streetlights go out when im right under them and its the same one's each time ! and it does it when im in a friends car, it mainly happens when im argree and stessed out but sometimes when im really relaxed hmmmm its werid. I have told my friends about it and when we drive under a streetlight and it turns out i normally look at my friends and they look at me and i say "did u see that light go out" and they say "yes" and no one really says anything else, ive told them that they always go out when im on my own and i said i think its me but they just laugh.

OR it could be this....some streetlamps are faulty and they go on and off on there own, and as i said it always seems to be the same one ! so it might just be that theres so many streetlamps with bulbs (lamps) that need replacing and they just blink on and off now and then and it just so happens that you are under it as it goes off, BY THE WAY they come on aswell sometimes when im under them so its like they have gone off before and then come back on, abit like broken neon lights.

Ohwell i dunno, my house lights dont turn off when im inside so i doubt the streetlamp blinking has anything to do with me.
I've observed similar phenomena and their was nothing that practical science can't explain. I have seen street and building lights (particularly florescent) turn on - off when near transmitted signals. Actually when unfamiliar with the source that effects the lights, it can be quite starting. Kindly remember when near such a facility experimental transmissions could be taking place from audio to the light spectrum. They have limits rated in V/M that won't produce harmful radiation. If so an area is cordoned off.

I once was involved in an effort (teamed up with the folks at Wright - Patterson) to transmit an Electromagnetic beam straight thru a solid metal conductor, "which should be theoretical impossible".
Well, true, but you lose a lot of power and the losses are related to frequency and exponentially related to the depth of the material. Even us humble electronic guys sometimes do a quick thumbnail calc. to see if a layer of 18um copper will attenuate enough noise at a particular frequency.

The thing he did get right is that, for decades, WPAFB has been a center for laser research. I worked there briefly about 15 years ago and there were a number of stories at that time about beams of laser light emanating from a strange tower on the base. ...

I suspect they may have been referring to a tall 'clocktower'-looking spire with windows atop all 4 sides rising out of the roof of Building 39 (if it still exists). It was built during a major remodeling in the 1990's. The tower enclosed an open shaft extending down to the lowest floor. There was some sort of mirror array in the top windowed section. It was a specialized structure used for optics experiments, and supposedly the mirrors allowed them to do whatever they did with light in both directions (incoming from top to bottom and outgoing from bottom to top).

Back