• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Youtube Channel: North Edinburgh Nightmares

suburban wolf

Wolf in a Human Suit
Something that may be of interest to Edinburgh Forteans is the YouTube series 'North Edinburgh Nightmares'

As the name suggests, the focus is on the north of Edinburgh, covering the waterfronts and harbours of Leith, Newhaven and Granton up through Inverleith, Dean Village and the New Town to Princes Street. There are excursions further afield to cover Portobello, South Queensferry and Musselburgh too.

It's not the familiar Old Town stories, worn smooth by the many ghost tours in the Royal Mile and environs but the various urban legends and 'friend of a friend' tales which we don't often hear about. The old favourites do make an occasional appearance (the Arthurs Seat coffins, Burke and Hare and so on) but not overwhelmingly so. And there are frequent intersperced with interesting contributions from local historians, tour guides and local ghost hunters as well as those who have witness the odd and unexplained in recent years too. The visuals are atmospheric film noir like scenes of the suburbs concerned.

It's a great way to catch up on the seldom heard urban legends and ghostly tales which would otherwise be ignored. My hope is that they branch out a bit futher to cover the other less well explored parts of the city to the south and west to capture similar tales.

My only - and very mild at that - criticism would be the narration. The principal voice over is delivered in a 'spooky' style, which does remind me at least of the late John Laurie/Pvt Frazer in Dad's Army. I think the tales would be just as intriguing delivered straight without the vocal mannerisms but appreciate that this is purely a personal preference and others may find it adds to the atmosphere.

4/5 for me, great fun to watch as the nights get darker.

I've been listening to, and greatly enjoying, North Edinburgh Nightmares for quite a while now. I'm not sure why I haven't recommended it here myself (possibly I have, and just don’t recall).

I don’t actually live in Edinburgh, but have been working and staying in the city very regularly since the 90’s - and it was home to two of my aunts when I was growing up in the 70’s. It’s been a kind of a home from home for as long as I can remember (In fact, I’m there now. Well…here now. ‘Here’ or ‘there’? Or is it neither here nor there whether it’s here or there?)

I’ve spent a lot of time in Leith, Newhaven and Trinity, and know the south side fairly well too. I think they’re generally great stories whether you’re familiar with the city or not, but knowing the locations definitely adds to the tales. I also really like the fact that what I would call ‘heritage’ tales – those well-worn historical stories of guide books and ghost walks – are accompanied by many much more recent occurrences.

...My only - and very mild at that - criticism would be the narration. The principal voice over is delivered in a 'spooky' style, which does remind me at least of the late John Laurie/Pvt Frazer in Dad's Army. I think the tales would be just as intriguing delivered straight without the vocal mannerisms but appreciate that this is purely a personal preference and others may find it adds to the atmosphere...

I do kind of agree with the above - there's a somewhat (but not ridiculously) theatrical ghost-walk guide style to the narration, which grated a bit to start with. That said - it's probably down to taste - and I've kind of got used to it. In fact, as long as I’m in the right mood, I think I might actually quite like it now.

But could any Dunediners here solve a mystery for me? During one tale (I’ll have to dig out precisely which one) Windsor Street is referred to as being in Leith. It seems too far south to me for Leith – and a quick glance at some old maps suggests the same. That said – at least one modern estate agents appears to refer to it as Leith in the address. What am I missing?

I don’t know the street, but looking at the location on a map, I’d agree it’s too far south. It’s certainly way outwith the historic boundaries of Leith.

I don’t know the street, but looking at the location on a map, I’d agree it’s too far south. It’s certainly way outwith the historic boundaries of Leith.
Apparently one of the boundaries of Leith was Pilrig Street which is north, the only thing I can think of is its because its off Leith Walk?

...But could any Dunediners here solve a mystery for me? During one tale (I’ll have to dig out precisely which one) Windsor Street is referred to as being in Leith. It seems too far south to me for Leith – and a quick glance at some old maps suggests the same. That said – at least one modern estate agents appears to refer to it as Leith in the address. What am I missing?

For reference, it's during the episode below, at 5:54 that our barrator refers to 'Windsor Street, Leith':

And, from StreetCheck:

Windsor Street in Edinburgh is in Scotland. The postcode is within the Leith Walk ward/electoral division, which is in the UK Parliamentary Constituency of Edinburgh North and Leith. The Scottish Parliament constituency is Edinburgh Northern and Leith.

I'm going to take a punt though that this is a fairly recent definition - the address doesn't seem to fit into any of the old boundaries of Leith itself that I can find references too.

Apparently one of the boundaries of Leith was Pilrig Street which is north, the only thing I can think of is its because its off Leith Walk?

Yes, my understanding too. By coincidence, an old friend lives there - and I used to drink occasionally at the old Boundary Bar, opposite the entrance to Pilrig Street (bit rough, I seem to recall...probably why I chose it) - the border was supposed to go right through the pub. There are still some brass markers up on walls denoting the border between Leith and Edinburgh; I've seen a couple but can't recall exactly where.

6E1E5BC9-1388-4B75-AF67-9A0787E63867.png

http://www.grantonhistory.org/maps/boundaries/leith_boundary_map.htm

maximus otter

Back