• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Guardian Angels: Do They Exist?

Do Guardian Angels Exist?

• Yes

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Sometimes I think they do exist

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
...what a guy...
So BR employ angels? Wow...

Mythopoeika said:
...what a guy...
So BR employ angels? Wow...
Probably more than one. When the ticket collector asked for the Leeds train to be delayed for 20 minutes, it would only have taken one Jobsworth in whatever department is responsible for time-tabling to kybosh the whole thing - "Oh no, can't do that, that train's got to go on to somewhere else so as to be back in time to.. etc, etc".

Or perhaps the driver of the Leeds train, probably coming to the end of his shift and looking forward to getting home - "I'm not waiting here for some fecking stupid student..."

I reckon the guardian angel had his work cut out that night! ;)

That was in BR days when trains could be delayed for important passengers. In these privatised times the operating company would get a huge fine. The god of market forces doesn't condone angelic interference.

So was there a BR guardian demon watching over me when I went from Leeds to Harlech and arrived nearly 8 hours late, cira 1984?

I suppose they did at least put a special train on from Crewe eventually as the last one to go from there onto the Welsh part of the network had gone for the day.

BlackRiverFalls said:
So was there a BR guardian demon watching over me when I went from Leeds to Harlech and arrived nearly 8 hours late, cira 1984?

I suppose they did at least put a special train on from Crewe eventually as the last one to go from there onto the Welsh part of the network had gone for the day.

Naw, it just means somebody else's guardian angels had more clout than yours that day.

:lol:

The British Rail anecdote makes no sense and makes me believe it was invented.

What if there is a guy on that Leeds train, who desperately needs to get back to be by the side of his dying child, who wasn't expected to last much longer?

What about all the people on that train who had very important places to be? The conductor would realise that everyone on that train had a life story without knowing how much importance some of those passengers held in that train being on time.

It reads almost like a chain letter, to me.

Huzzie said:
The British Rail anecdote makes no sense and makes me believe it was invented.

I travelled extensively on BR in the 70s and 80s it was certainly true that trains could be delayed for VIPs and often were. Some MPs pulled that stroke if what I hear is true having been kept at a station for quite lengthy durations. A death in the family could at a stretch be classed as an emergency. Long distance trains ran late as a matter of course then so it might depend what time the connection was running.

My favourite bit of railway droit de seigneur was at Redmile station where the Duke at Belvoir castle not only had his own waiting room with hunting friezes but his own conveniently sited steps to cross the line without walking to the end. Once his noble presence had wandered across for his connection the wooden boarding was replaced and the hoi polloi took the long way round. It helps if you own the land the railway was built on I suppose.

There's been a few occasions when I've wondered about the reality or otherwise of Guardian Angels and on a few occasions the wondering has led immediately to a synchronistic message. Just now reading this thread at work a chap came in for a meeting and he had a guardian angel badge on his jacket (I work for a posh company as did the visitor and badges of any sort on a business jacket are just never seen). On another occasion when pondering angelic existence I was cut up by a car which had a bumper sticker saying "Angels are everywhere". The other occasion that sticks in my mind was also in my car and I said out loud, "if there are angels send me a sign" at which point I was overtaken by a van for a company call Angel water coolers. Not exactly proof but I'm easily amused.

I think my guardian angel (if they exist) took an extended holiday right about the time I got made redundant last february. I've had nothing but bad luck ever since!

I know the feeling PM. Mine (if they exist) doesn't actually do anything useful just sends badges and bumper stickers :rolleyes:

therealficolley said:
I know the feeling PM. Mine (if they exist) doesn't actually do anything useful just sends badges and bumper stickers :rolleyes:

Ah well. Shxt Happens. ;)

But, but, how do you know that things might not be even worse without a bit of angelic support? ;)

I love the angels. I don't care whether they exist or not, they're kind and wonderful and they send me little messages when I need them. Or it's all in my head, who knows? :lol:

escargot1 said:
I love the angels. I don't care whether they exist or not, they're kind and wonderful and they send me little messages when I need them. Or it's all in my head, who knows? :lol:

Agreed, I also don't know whether they exist or not. But what I do know is that I am happier to entertain the idea than not. And furthermore, it doesn't matter if they exist or not. If YOU believe in them, then they have some sort of effect.

escargot1 said:
But, but, how do you know that things might not be even worse without a bit of angelic support? ;)

Hmmm, I suppose it could be worse.
But I am reminded of 'Life of Brian'
"You're only making it worse for yourself!"
"How could it be any worse? Jehovah, Jehovah, Jehovah...."

My next novel has an angel in. Just testing if the host, angelic or otherwise, approve of a little viral marketing.

I don't know if this belongs here - some people might think it's the work of a Guardian Demon...

Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness was due to take flight that crashed in Cork killing six... but changed his plans at the last minute
By Mail Foreign Service
Last updated at 7:32 AM on 11th February 2011

Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness was due to take the tragic flight that crashed in Cork killing six people but changed his plans at the last minute.

The Sinn Fein politician had hoped to fly from Belfast Airport to Cork - a journey he had made many times before - to campaign for the forthcoming elections but made different arrangements.

etc...

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1De2mVst7

On Wednesday I was looking at second-hand books. One was a collection of piano music. I flipped it open, straight to a song about angels!

Lovely, I thought, and whipped out the iPhone and took a quick picture, intending to post it here as evidence of how common angelic symbols are.

Strangely though, even though I was sure I saw the photo on my phone, when I looked later it was just a dark blur.

Is this the angels' way of telling me not to be such a smartarse? :lol:

nope the angels are saying buy the book you cheapskate! :D

rynner2 said:
Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister Martin McGuinness was due to take the tragic flight that crashed in Cork killing six people but changed his plans at the last minute.

Thus depriving conspiracy theorists of decades of ranting.

colpepper1 said:
rynner2 said:

Not at all. He must have been tipped off.

And so it begins...

Dr_Baltar said:
colpepper1 said:
rynner2 said:

And so it begins...
I expect ramonmercado is starting a thread on it as we speak... ;)

Photographic proof!

Mother sees face of an angel in pregnancy scan watching over her baby in the womb
By Lucy Laing
Last updated at 3:32 PM on 18th December 2011

When Dee Lazarou went into labour early at home, she knew the risks of having a home delivery.
There was no midwife present as baby Leo made his way into the world as she gave birth on their bathroom floor, helped only by her family.
But she knew that no harm could come to him - as they had already been given a sign that he was being looked over in the womb.

Amazingly in the scan picture taken of her son Leo when she was 12 weeks pregnant, Mrs Lazarou could clearly make out a face resembling an angel.
She and her husband were convinced he was looking over their unborn child, to see him born safely.
Mrs Lazarou, 31, an team leader for the police force communications emergency room, said: ‘It was such a comfort to think that someone was looking after our son.

‘When I gave birth on our bathroom floor, there was no midwife to help us and my husband had to deliver Leo.
‘His cord was wrapped around his neck and it was my mother who pulled the cord free. It was a nerve-wracking experience, but I’m sure that a guardian angel was looking over him to make sure he was delivered safely.’

Mrs Lazarou was just 12 weeks into her pregnancy when they spotted the remarkable image in the scan picture taken at Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
Mrs Lazarou, who lives with husband Thomas, 34, a policeman, and their son Oliver, three, in Stevenage, said: ‘I didn’t look at the scan picture until we got home. I was looking at it with Oliver, telling him that it was a picture of his little brother or sister, when I noticed something odd in the corner of the picture.
‘I could see clearly that it was a face. I showed it to my husband when he got home from work.
‘We were stunned to see it - as it was such a clear image. It was such a comfort to me during the rest of my pregnancy, knowing that we had someone looking over our baby in the womb.’

When Mrs Lazarou was a week past her due date she started with contractions.
She said: ‘I decided to have a bath to ease the pain as I thought I would have several hours before I would have to get to hospital, and the pains were mild so I wasn’t even sure at first that they were proper labour pains.’
But the pains quickly got worse. Mrs Lazarou called both her mother Marie and her husband to come home.
She said: ‘I knew that there was no time to get to hospital. I was in the bathroom and I felt the urge to push. Tom helped me lie down on the floor and paramedics gave him instructions over the phone as he delivered our baby.
‘I was worried because there was no midwife and I had always been adamant that I wanted to have a hospital birth as I knew that home births could be risky. So to be giving birth to my son at home was terrifying. I just had to hope and pray that he would be alright.’

Baby Leo arrived on the bathroom floor in August weighing 8Ibs, but then a drama unfolded as he had the umbilical cord wrapped around his neck.
Mrs Lazarou said: ‘It was terrifying. When Tom caught him in his arms as he was delivered, we saw that the cord was wrapped around his neck which could have been lifethreatening to him.
‘Mum luckily was able to unwrap it from around his neck and free him. And moments later he uttered a cry, which was such a relief. It was the most amazing sound as we knew that he was alright.’
The paramedics arrived just after the birth and took Mrs Lazarou to hospital for a check up.
She said: ‘Luckily we were both fine and we were allowed home, which was such a relief.

‘When we saw the face of someone in the scan picture we were stunned, but now we know that it was for a reason.
‘He was watching over Leo to make sure he was delivered safely. The face in the scan picture was such a comfort to us all.
‘I’ve put it in a keepsake box to show Leo when he was older, to be able to tell him the story of his remarkable birth.’

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... z1gyQUqazZ

...or perhaps this post should be in Simulacra. ;)

I recall as a five year old leaving a bus and seeing a strange but beautiful other wordly woman passing by who I suddenly lost sight of. I mentioned it to my father who said nothing. 500 years later I assume there was no one there and I was so tired I was hallucinating. If anything it was probably a demon and not an angel!

This story story starts a long time ago , when i was in my early 20s and had hair, I was walking along white heart lane in north London, when a smartly dressed black man stopped me and said his car had run out of petrol just down the road and could i give him some money for petrol.I gave him a fiver i had for lunch, he offered me his umbrella in exchange which i refused, he shock my hand and said god bless you. As i walked away i felt something strange about him , but thought to my self "nah" as i was reading a lot of fluffy angel books at the time , and assumed that was what me me think he was "strange"

Fast forward many years and i have been homeless for about three weeks, i am camped outside a hostel on a Sunday night from about 7 in the evening.The duty warden had said there was no manager till about 9 on Monday and come back then.

It is a very rough night , made bearable by the concern of hostel residents, some of who bring me food and drinks.But i am in a right state, because i am thinking if they dont have a room tomorrow i am pretty much fucked and i cant see myself getting a chance to get back on my own two feet.So i am pretty much at a very low point in my life.

At a few points during the night i manage to doze off for a bit, and after one nap i am woken by what appears to be the same man that i gave a fiver t0o many years ago. He asks what is happening , i tell him, he replied you will get a room, just take care cause there are some crazy people in there, you will get a room , i will make sure, and he walks towards the hostel.I fall back into a nap. and wake up to see him walking away from the hostel.

About 8.30 i am woken by a warden who beckons me over, and the hostel manager says to me " you are very luck, we have a room for you"
:)

Off course both men are probably separate flesh and blood men, but sod it, i am going with a guardian angel , it makes me feel happy!! :D

rynner2 said:
Dr_Baltar said:
colpepper1 said:
rynner2 said:

And so it begins...
I expect ramonmercado is starting a thread on it as we speak... ;)

Hmmm, missed this one.

It was obviously dissident republicans in league with rogue elements in MI5 & MI6 who brought the plane down.

Martins is now a faithful servant of the Crown so he was saved by an RIRA member who is a triple agent reporting directly to the Cabinet JIC. Had to leave the plane go down, protect the agent in place.

I think my bus guardian angel was on duty today.

I wanted to go to Hayle, but decided to go via Camborne rather than Truro so I could do a little shopping in Falmouth first. I was crossing the road towards the shops when, out of the corner of my eye, I spotted a Camborne bus with passengers boarding. (It was obviously running late.) So I did a one eighty and I got on the bus too. My next connection only took a few minutes too - result, I got to Hayle 15 minutes quicker than ever before!

Returning later, all my connections again worked well, and approaching Falmouth, I decided to get off the bus early and browse round Lidl, and then catch my bus home from there without needing to change buses again. The sun was bright, and I had trouble reading the number of the bus coming towards me, so I only realised it was my bus at the last minute. I stuck out my arm, but the bus sailed by!

DRAT! Now I'd have to get another bus into town, and wait the best part of an hour for my next bus home...

...but the bus did stop, some 20 yards on. :D I apologised for signalling late, the driver apologised for not spotting me in time, and we were all good pals!

So, all in all, a very good day on the buses! 8)

Back