• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Guardian Angels: Do They Exist?

Do Guardian Angels Exist?

• Yes

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • No

Votes: 9 25.7%
  • Sometimes I think they do exist

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters
I voted Yes!
I do believe them.
There are also very good movies about guardian angels.
I Do believe that God sends angels for every one of us! ;)

Is it simply a belief, or do you have some interesting stories of your own to tell?

Is it simply a belief, or do you have some interesting stories of your own to tell?
I don't remember a special case, But I am already confident about that.
Especially when you have troubles in your life.
I think it is not simple just believe, you should have your own experience.

Yes I agree; and that is exactly Mythopoeika's point. Mythopoeika is inviting you to share your own experience of angels. Please tell us what your experience of angels has been.

Looking back through the thread I see an older post I made on the back of a fortuitous secondment 5 years ago. It was a great job. To follow up on that, at the end of that six months my secondment boss, a long-standing university Dean of Laws, decided to extend my contract hoping at the same time the person I was relieving would be quitting to pursue her personal book deals etc. She returned to find me still in place and there was high drama, months of awkwardness around the office and me tiptoeing around trying not to break eggshells, and then the Dean retired two months into the second contract leaving me to battle it out on my own. And I wrapped my car around a tree just as the second contract kicked off, but I survived it. Which of these angels were at play in all that lot? I now view the entire episode as a load of puck.

Personally, I'll believe in guardian angels when I wake up one morning and find I live in a world where nothing bad ever happens to anyone who didn't deserve it.

Yes I accept them as a reality but I think they only step in when there is a risk of severe damage to the planned life paths of one or more souls. I dont see them as constant protectors but more like specialized workers from the time management dept.

I dread to think what John Travolta really is.

Yes I agree; and that is exactly Mythopoeika's point. Mythopoeika is inviting you to share your own experience of angels. Please tell us what your experience of angels has been.
You know a few month ago when i cross the street, i was careless while crossing it.
And there was a car which didn't notice me and hit me. And my angels were with me,
because the car was driving slowly and nothing matters with me .

Glad to hear you weren't hurt.
So, anyway...please describe the angels that saved you.
Inquiring minds need to know!

I have been wondering if it was a guardian angel who interfered last year when I was so sure I was going to hit the woman who stepped out in front of my car whilst looking the other way and listening to her phone.
One moment she was in front of my car and the next I looked in the mirror and she was back on the nature strip.

The big problem for me with Guardian Angels is, why are they so selective about who they guard?

Shit happens to hundreds and thousands of people every day without GAs stepping in to prevent it.
Are there not enough GAs to go around?

GeorgeP says
"Yes I accept them as a reality but I think they only step in when there is a risk of severe damage to the planned life paths of one or more souls. I dont see them as constant protectors but more like specialized workers from the time management dept."

There's still something judgemental there: "His life path is already too damaged. No point helping him."
The idea needs more explanation.

But surely it's simpler to accept that GAs don't exist, and whether shit happens or not is just down to random luck.
It seems daft to say that someone who is missed by inches by a speeding train was saved by his Guardian Angel, while his friend, just a few feet behind, gets splattered.

Maybe guardian angels have to take a break, have a nap, etc, just like their pet project humans? Like the Green Cross Code Man, they can't always be there.

I'd recommend two books on this subject*:

1. The Third Man by John Geiger
2. The Daemon by Anthony Peake.

Both are compelling reads. The former shares experiences of people who have been 'saved' or 'guided' by another presence, while under situations of extreme stress (mountaineers, racing drivers etc).

The latter examines the concept that we all have a second, higher presence that already lives within us. A presence that has lived our life many times before and one that occasionally communicates forcefully with us to save us from harm.

If I had to plant a flag on any of these theories relating to GAs, I'd say that we all have a life plan, and if our physical being is in danger of being diverted from this plan, then a GAs will step in and stop it happening. This does conveniently give us somewhat of a get-out clause when talking of those that DO die in disasters, plane crashes etc - the GA didn't intervene then because that WAS their life plan, to end there.

*I don't know if I can post links, but you can easily find information on these online.

I have had some experiences recently that took me from being completely skeptical to questioning. But then I believe in God so I don't know if it was Him protecting me or whether it was an angel or coincidence. I do like the fact that on here you aren't told what to think but are left to draw your own conclusions. Not that I have come to any firm ones.

Hope this is the right place for this

I was speaking to a lady from Pakistan yesterday, and she told me about her father’s story. Sadly, he has a terminal illness, and his daughter looks after him at home.

She told me that twice an unknown man saved her father’s life. The first time he was swimming in the sea in Egypt on his own, he was being pulled under and was struggling when a man picked him up in his arms and carried him to the beach. It was a solid person, but when he turned to thank him, there was no one there, not on the beach and not in the sea.

The second time, he and his wife were in a serious accident in Pakistan. My friend’s father needed a blood transfusion, and my friend’s brother noticed a doctor in a white coat in the ward, performing the process. After it was finished the doctor left and the brother followed him out immediately to thank him. Again, there was no one in the corridor.

The third part of the story was that the father was in Libya when he came across an incident where a man had been sent up a telegraph pole to mend it and had an electric shock. No one would go up the pole to rescue the man, so my friend’s father did, although he was very scared of heights and feared receiving a shock as well.

I don’t know enough about Islam to know if it has a tradition of Guardian Angels, but my friend firmly believes her father was saved to save someone else.

That was in BR days when trains could be delayed for important passengers. In these privatised times the operating company would get a huge fine. The god of market forces doesn't condone angelic interference.

It can still happen though. I've seen it done. Trains can be held up for a good reason and there's a small margin where a passenger can be flicked from one train to another with no penalty due.

When I first heard about Guardian Angels (at infants' school) I used to wonder if they watched you all the time even when you're on the toilet).

When I first heard about Guardian Angels (at infants' school) I used to wonder if they watched you all the time even when you're on the toilet).

Protecting you from splashback.

... I don’t know enough about Islam to know if it has a tradition of Guardian Angels, but my friend firmly believes her father was saved to save someone else.

Yes - Islam has a tradition similar to the Christian / Judaic guardian angel. The Islamic version involves multiple angels / beings monitoring a given person.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mu'aqqibat

Hope this is the right place for this

I was speaking to a lady from Pakistan yesterday, and she told me about her father’s story. Sadly, he has a terminal illness, and his daughter looks after him at home.

She told me that twice an unknown man saved her father’s life. The first time he was swimming in the sea in Egypt on his own, he was being pulled under and was struggling when a man picked him up in his arms and carried him to the beach. It was a solid person, but when he turned to thank him, there was no one there, not on the beach and not in the sea.

The second time, he and his wife were in a serious accident in Pakistan. My friend’s father needed a blood transfusion, and my friend’s brother noticed a doctor in a white coat in the ward, performing the process. After it was finished the doctor left and the brother followed him out immediately to thank him. Again, there was no one in the corridor.

The third part of the story was that the father was in Libya when he came across an incident where a man had been sent up a telegraph pole to mend it and had an electric shock. No one would go up the pole to rescue the man, so my friend’s father did, although he was very scared of heights and feared receiving a shock as well.

I don’t know enough about Islam to know if it has a tradition of Guardian Angels, but my friend firmly believes her father was saved to save someone else.

Why not just cut out the middle man and rescue the man up the pole?

Some people suggest an angel intervened in Turkey to save a fellow...

A shopkeeper in Turkey was left mystified after a tap on his shoulder from a mysterious stranger seemingly saved him from being seriously injured by a passing truck. According to a local media report, the eerie encounter took place in the city of Adana as Serdar Binici'yi was preparing to close his store for the night. However, his normal routine of picking up sale items from outside the shop was decidedly different this time around thanks to a truly strange series of events.
In a video captured by a nearby security camera, an unidentified man can be seen walking down the road toward Binici'yi as he stands in front of his store. When the stranger reaches the shopkeeper, he nonchalantly reaches over, taps him on the shoulder, and keeps walking. Wondering who just touched him, Binici'yi turns around, but only sees a white van rumbling down the street. Suddenly, from the back of the vehicle, a rather sizeable metal grate swings around and narrowly misses the shaken shopkeeper, who ducks at the last minute to avoid being struck.

https://www.coasttocoastam.com/article/watch_man_saved_by_angelic_stranger

Back