• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

ginoide

Abominable Snowman
ok, so some subjects really irk me. do you get the same feeling?
(dreams may be interesting only if shared, as in the fascinating dummy/milk thread. but that's an exception).
and sorry, i don't want to be mean to anybody.

There are some few threads I I hardly ever look at any more, they are kinda same sh!t, dif'rent day ones. Mostly the UFO threads, as there seems a repeating narrative to them, y'no, some one posts a link to a vid, several people say it's photo shopped, thread dies.

Maybe it's not the subject, just the way it's presented though.

Cultjunky said:
There are some few threads I I hardly ever look at any more, they are kinda same sh!t, dif'rent day ones. Mostly the UFO threads, as there seems a repeating narrative to them, y'no, some one posts a link to a vid, several people say it's photo shopped, thread dies.

Maybe it's not the subject, just the way it's presented though.

Agree, absolutely.

I find threads interesting that give me more information about questions I have about the meaning of life or death for example. So multiverses, matrix glitches, ghosts [see below], strange behaviour etc is extremely interesting to me, whereas topics that do not give me any information are boring. So cryptozoology, mythical beings, other people's dreams etc are ignored by myself.

Another reason why I find something worth reading is the 'shiver' factor. I love reading something [even if it is made up] that can still give me the creeps. So stickmen, shadow figures, mundane puzzles, BEK, EVP etc are brilliant for this whilst orbs and seeing shiny objects in the sky don't bother me.

Lastly I have to say that UFO stories are [as the OP mentioned] mostly [99.9%] hoaxes or misinterpretations, just like ghost images. However I still check these out in the vain hope to either find one that is real or for the sake of getting creeped out. However mostly this doesn't happen.

I was really into UFOs and Ghosts but now I rarely look at the threads. Just went off them. Too much of the same old.

Thank you. What is a quasi-corporeal companion?

Imaginary friend (I'm guessing).

Ghost stuff bores me (although I do enjoy it as folklore). EVP is laughable, as is the vast majority of UFO-related and conspiracy stuff. That said, I try to look at quite a bit of what's posted here. In itself, all of it makes for some interesting patterns over the 8 years I've been visiting. Certain themes and threads recur.

I particularly love ghosts and EVP, even though, yup, it's mostly tosh. :lol:

UFOs bore me though.

I love the mundanely strange - like the new thread about the flying sock, and the older one about the floating chihuahua. Small things that seem meaningless and yet show that reality is a lot weirder than we think it is. I also don't tire of the traditional creepy tales. And cryptids intrigue me as long as they are reasonably well-documented. Sasquatch is a favorite. Stuff that bores me? 'Strange lights in the sky' that are probably balloons or chinese lanterns or commercial jets or Venus.

And I hate the way 'conspiracy theory' has become a term of denigration for almost anything, including things that aren't conspiracies or theories.

Yup, Alice, I find ordinary people's experiences the most interesting. Unless they think think they've seen or been abducted by aliens. Then they're boring again. :lol:

escargot1 said:
Yup, Alice, I find ordinary people's experiences the most interesting. Unless they think think they've seen or been abducted by aliens. Then they're boring again. :lol:

I third that, peoples own personal weirdness is what pulled me into the whole Fortean scene. In fact I think it was a ihtm regarding a beer drinker with the devils hoofs.

I like ITHM as well, particularly the timey-wimey stuff. The chap who was staying overnight in the empty theatre to keep an eye on the sound equipment and witnessed a Victorian performace was a classic, an I think it was scargs herself who posted a relative's experince of a time-slipped railway station...

EVP is pretty silly and most "ghost photos" are bit rubbish...

Dingo mentioned my pet hate, well, hate's a bit strong, but I really don't see the big deal with orb photos.

theyithian said:
Apparently "quasi-corporeal companion" - and not a defunct shopping channel.
Huh! Wiki was no use at all:

QCC may refer to:

Queanbeyan City Council
Queensborough Community College
Queensland Children's Choir
Queensland Conservation Council
Queensland Cricketers' Club
Queer Cultural Center
Quinsigamond Community College
Qwest Communications Corporation
QCC Information Security
Qualified Contingent Cross Orders

:evil:

linesmachine said:
In fact I think it was a ihtm regarding a beer drinker with the devils hoofs.

That was one of mine. A friend's Dad swore that when he played cards with a stranger in a pub in Crewe, he looked down and noticed that the stranger had cloven hooves. :shock:

Oh, just remembered, I don't like the circular ones, y'no, the ones where you can have a poster on ignore, and still not loose the gist of it. ;)

escargot1 said:
That was one of mine. A friend's Dad swore that when he played cards with a stranger in a pub in Crewe, he looked down and noticed that the stranger had cloven hooves. :shock:
I guess he was playing with a deer friend.

There are no boring subjects; only boring people.

But is it the poster being boring, or the reader not approaching the post in the correct way to be interested?

Doesn't matter. What interests me differs on different days and boredom varies with the individual. I reckon if anybody's interested in anything enough to post about it, it's interesting enough to justify a thread. Those sufficiently robust for the environment will survive; all others will mutate and evolve, or die.

All generalities being false, however, I have to find the one exception about which I'm willing to make a blanket statement, and that is this:

ALL FLAMEWARS ARE BORING!!!!

Ronson8 said:
escargot1 said:

Better the devil you know etc etc.

@escargot: well it was that ihtm that was pretty much the first Fortean thing I read on the website. I guess it has the central aspect of something totally crazy happening in such a normal circumstance that reeled me into the Fortean thang in general.

Ronson8 said:
escargot1 said:
That sort of comment really gets my goat.

The standard of puns on this forum is very low.I am going to ask a mod to do something about it , and i am not kidding.

titch said:
The standard of puns on this forum is very low.I am going to ask a mod to do something about it , and i am not kidding.

Their hart isn't in it. I think they're all off on a stag party. So don't butt in.

titch said:

Sorry. It was all we could manage on the hoof.

rynner2 said:
theyithian said:
Apparently "quasi-corporeal companion" - and not a defunct shopping channel.
Huh! Wiki was no use at all:

QCC may refer to:

Queanbeyan City Council
Queensborough Community College
Queensland Children's Choir
Queensland Conservation Council
Queensland Cricketers' Club
Queer Cultural Center
Quinsigamond Community College
Qwest Communications Corporation
QCC Information Security
Qualified Contingent Cross Orders

:evil:

I think the writer of the original article was motivated by the notion that for a Fortean phenonemon to be 'proper' it has do have an three-letter acronym, viz BVM, ABC, UFO etc. I think QCC is a relatively pretentious way of saying 'imaginary friend', even if arguing for the objective existence of such entities.

gncxx said:
Dingo mentioned my pet hate, well, hate's a bit strong, but I really don't see the big deal with orb photos.

I do hate orbs - with a vengeance. Really, really hate them.

I can't get worked up about UFO's - although I accept I might have to revise that if some shiny headed pile of tin or overgrown embryo knocks on my door, tells me his name, and informs me that his staple diet is human cerebellum.

QCC's bore me stupid.

I like a good ghost story on any level - I mean, I like them just as stories, even if they are obviously made up; if I think they are genuine, that's just an added bonus.

And yes, like many people here, what I really like are those truly unclassifiable experiences which don't really fit comfortably into any real category.

Oh...and I really hate orbs.

Back