• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?

I think modern UFO stuff is dull as dishwater. I blame those damn Greys - and lots of crappy footage on YouTube, etc ;) Gone are the days when an innocent bystander could be amazed to see a saucer land in the road, disgorge several odd-looking occupants (who proceed to do/say odd things), then watch it fly off... *sigh*

Jerry_B said:
I think modern UFO stuff is dull as dishwater. I blame those damn Greys - and lots of crappy footage on YouTube, etc ;) Gone are the days when an innocent bystander could be amazed to see a saucer land in the road, disgorge several odd-looking occupants (who proceed to do/say odd things), then watch it fly off... *sigh*

I started a thread a while ago about whether the 1960s-80s was the golden age for UFO stories, and I still think it is. All the stories reported these days are far too media savvy, even the maybe genuine ones.

titch said:
The standard of puns on this forum is very low.I am going to ask a mod to do something about it , and i am not kidding.

That would just turn the board into a nanny state.

gncxx said:
I started a thread a while ago about whether the 1960s-80s was the golden age for UFO stories, and I still think it is. All the stories reported these days are far too media savvy, even the maybe genuine ones.

There's a big archive of reports here which shows that (as of 2009) some oddities still make their presence known. That said, you have to sift through a fair few of the more modern ones to find anything that's as interesting as the 'Golden Age' period.

gncxx said:
Jerry_B said:

Jung would say that 'alien abduction' as a subconscious analogy has run its course, and that whatever it represented or expressed is now going to start showing up in some other form.

To be honest, I'm finding the FT mag pretty boring lately, despite the immensely impressive back-tracking in the UFO section.

I guess the low point for me this year was Gary Numan and John Foxx plugging their tour by recounting their spooky experiences as an advertorial.

Mind you, I say that about dinner now. I'm bored with the old food, however it is rehashed.

I took digital photos in that famous Polish salt mine a few years ago, which is supposed to be a healthily dust-free environment. Still got orbs. :D

escargot1 said:
I took digital photos in that famous Polish salt mine a few years ago, which is supposed to be a healthily dust-free environment. Still got orbs. :D

That's because they were salt ghosts.

I do hate orbs - with a vengeance. Really, really hate them.

I can't get worked up about UFO's - although I accept I might have to revise that if some shiny headed pile of tin or overgrown embryo knocks on my door, tells me his name, and informs me that his staple diet is human cerebellum.

QCC's bore me stupid.

I like a good ghost story on any level - I mean, I like them just as stories, even if they are obviously made up; if I think they are genuine, that's just an added bonus.

And yes, like many people here, what I really like are those truly unclassifiable experiences which don't really fit comfortably into any real category.

Oh...and I really hate orbs.
Any alleged alien corpses, 'genuine' images of alien corpses, post-mortems on alien corpses or mummified alien corpses

:comphit:

I try to look in on most subjects because there are crossovers that are easy to miss if some areas are ignored and I wonder about these connections.
For example: Polts chuck stones often without hurting people, so do Bigfoot.
Mystery lights: In the sky, ufos or bvms. In a room ghosts.
Places like Skinwalker with all sorts of phenomena.
Timeslips, ghosts,precognition, teleportation (The Earth moves so objects that time travel will move)
That said numerology, demons and most orbs tend totrigger a sceptical reaction.

Although it's not Fortean as such, I have no interest in archeology, fossils, especially dinosaurs, bodies found in peat bogs and the like.

As @Tun11 says, there are often crossovers so when any of the subject matters are posted on here I give them a quick look through.

Numerology.

I can't close the virtual window, drop the book or change the channel fast enough.

I'm fascinated more by gematria than just plain numerology which I admit can be very boring.

What's The Most Boring Fortean Subject?​

I suppose it is the one that nobody writes about because, well, it's so fucking boring.

Conspiracy theories. They can be interesting but it often turns into just a few people Gish Galloping their way through page after page after page of internet real estate and I lose interest.

Esoterica. I can't really say why I am not interested in it, I am just not.

I do hate orbs - with a vengeance. Really, really hate them...

...Oh...and I really hate orbs.

I've spent the last few days contemplating the question, my original answer, and examining the intervening decade to see if anything has occurred to change my opinion. An interesting exercise.

Nope. Fucking orbs!!

Now neck and neck with 'demons', who I think have entered their zone of irritation during the Podcast era.

Interesting to note - looking at the MRI scan of my brain attached below - that, despite their different functions, when either subject is mentioned, both left and right hemisphere's behave in similar ways:

Psychics and mediums. I’m bored with all their excuses for vague and ambiguous readings. If there are any genuine psychics then they could prove themselves tomorrow,but they can’t.
All very pre-internet, 20th Century theatrics for gullible 'Take a Break' readers:

"Is there a Sue or Susan in the room?"

20 hands go up

"I have an elderly lady with me who has passed over, she is saying, "Remember the flowers?"

Ten Sues & Susans in the audience now convinced it's their dear, departed mother communicating with them from beyond the grave

Kerching!!!

Oh, a special mention for the late - and very quiet - Derek Acorah, but what else is a retired footballer to do? Despite having been outed as a fraud back in 2005, he later claimed to have received messages form Madeleine McCann until her parents demanded an apology. Classy guy.

That said, there nave been intriguing cases of ordinary people who have had premonitions in dreams that have later proven to have distinct elements of truth in them

Last edited:
A local medium my female friend & me went to see (I didn't go in to see them - I was just accompanying my friend) told her "Whatever you do, don't marry him (i.e. me). Marriages always ends in tears with him*"...which was very odd, because I've never been married or even been close to getting married. :D

Despite that, years later I still feel as if I'm a terrible person who's a terrible husband, apparently in some alternative life unknown to me; thanks a flobbin' bunch, 'medium'.

* Worse still, the so-called medium said all this in front of me & the friend, as we were about to leave(!)

Last edited:
Okay, this might be controversial, but is the whole Bigfoot tv circus at risk of being included here? How many tv shows have we had now over the years without finding a scrap of actual verifiable evidence? I still watch the Small Town Monsters Bigfoot documentaries but more for the stunning American wilderness than any hope of them actually capturing anything conclusive on film or obtaining DNA. Yes, there are some genuine people involved and their hearts are in the right place but running around in the dark with night vision cameras is becoming tedious, any self-respecting Bigfoot will have heard and smelt them coming from miles away and done a runner long before they even get there.

Last edited:
A local medium my female friend & me went to see (I didn't go in to see them - I was just accompanying my friend) told her "Whatever you do, don't marry him (i.e. me). Marriages always ends in tears with him*"...which was very odd, because I've never been married or even been close to getting married. :D

Despite that, years later I still feel as if I'm a terrible person who's a terrible husband, apparently in some alternative life unknown to me; thanks a flobbin' bunch, 'medium'.

* Worse still, the so-called medium said all this in front of me & the friend, as we were about to leave(!)
:chuckle:

The Mrs didn't take any notice though, did she? :thought:

Only suggestible people do. Like, er, you. :rollingw:

Back