• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Personal Data On The Internet

Are you on Twitter or Facebook?

• Yes, both

Votes: 11 20.4%
  • Twitter only

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • Facebook only

Votes: 15 27.8%
  • Neither

Votes: 20 37.0%
  • Neither, but some other 'social networking' site(s)

Votes: 2 3.7%

• Total voters
That guy who called the woman in the restaurant probably thought he was doing her a favour. Funny how he didn't see it as a bit menacing and the actions of a stalker...

There's apps and websites out there that lets you keep track of where your friends are and where you are using mobile phones. I couldn't imagine using it myself. I revere my privacy too much to allow that.

I see the use when you are on holidays with friends and they need to keep track of each other if they are in an unfamiliar city.

I don't even post where I a on Facebook, although if in a pub a friend may do so on my behalf!

EU court backs 'right to be forgotten' in Google case

A top EU court has ruled Google must amend some search results at the request of ordinary people in a test of the so-called "right to be forgotten".
The European Union Court of Justice said links to "irrelevant" and outdated data should be erased on request.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-27388289

I'm having difficulty posting this for technical reasons. (I think I need a new Mouse! :( )

Rory Cellan-Jones
Technology correspondent
Google agrees to forget

When the European Court of Justice made its landmark ruling forcing search engines to listen to people who wanted links about them removed, Google said little in public. But in private the search giant seethed with anger at a ruling it saw as both a threat to free expression and a monstrous bureaucratic burden.

Two weeks on, Google has adopted a far more pragmatic stance, offering a mechanism to people who want to take advantage of the ruling. There is an online form to allow European users to request the removal of links about them. You have to prove your identity and explain exactly which links you want removed and why.

But the form makes it clear that there are strict limits on exactly what can be removed. Google says it will "attempt to balance the privacy rights of the individual with the public's right to know and distribute information".
So it will look at whether there's a public interest in the links users want removed - "for example, information about financial scams, professional malpractice, criminal convictions, or public conduct of government officials".
Google has also set up a commission of the great and good, people like the Wikipedia founder Jimmy Wales, to oversee the whole process.

In an interview with the Financial Times, the company's chief executive Larry Page seemed resigned to the need to bow to the ruling from Europe's highest court, while keen to warn that it could threaten the next generation of internet start-ups and strengthen the hand of repressive governments.

And much of the comment online has been deeply sceptical about the right to be forgotten, particularly in the United States where the First Amendment guaranteeing free speech would make this kind of ruling impossible. Some have pointed out that information won't be removed from google.com, just your local version of the search engine, others question the sheer practicality.

But privacy campaigners say this does give the private individual, who does not want their entire identity defined by a search engine, some small measure of control over how their neighbours see them. In the ongoing battle between Europe and America over the balance between privacy and freedom of expression, this is one case where the European view has prevailed, for now.

And, interestingly, one of the most powerful voices calling for a reassessment of the power of the internet giants over our personal data has been an American writer. In his novel The Circle Dave Eggers paints a dystopian future where a brilliant technology firm - The Circle - persuades the world that the more information we all share, the better our lives will be.

Tiny online video cameras allow the world to see and hear what is happening anywhere in real time, politicians are persuaded to go "transparent", so that every word they say in private becomes public. At a public meeting, three slogans on a screen sum up The Circle's philosophy - "Secrets are Lies, Sharing is Caring, Privacy is Theft." :shock:

Now of course this is just a novel - and The Circle is not Google. But American web superpowers, from Amazon to Facebook to Twitter, have acquired enormous power over our online lives, and those who have worried about that have often been told that resistance is pointless in a web with no borders. So today's move by Google is some evidence that if society decides it isn't happy with the idea that privacy is theft, it can do something about it.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27634746

World Cup: Wrong Phil Neville receives Twitter abuse

A radiator salesman called Phil Neville has received hundreds of abusive tweets intended for his footballing namesake.
Mr Neville, from Suffolk, was bombarded with Twitter messages to his account @philneville by fans who were unhappy with the ex-England star's World Cup TV commentary for the BBC on Saturday.
The former Manchester United utility player's punditry was widely criticised for being dully delivered and boring.

The other Phil Neville, aged 60, said he felt sorry for his famous namesake.
Mr Neville, from Hadleigh, said upon returning home from watching England's 2-1 defeat against Italy with friends, he noticed his phone was constantly buzzing.

The former referee, who was a fourth official during some Premier League games in the 1990s, said he was used to insults from football fans, but could not believe the content of some of the messages.
"Some were very abusive. One person said 'I hope you die'.
"Working in the sales industry, my name has been a benefit - people do remember me.
"With Twitter there are some real positives, but there are downsides - particularly if you're famous.
"Some comments were comical and I've seen the funny side, but there are some sad people out there."

Mr Neville said he would not be contacting the police over the messages, but had tweeted the former footballer to wish him "good luck".

The ex-Everton captain, who made his commentary debut for the BBC during the England game, tweeted: "1st live co-comm last night-sometimes u have to take the criticism - it will only make me better- thanks for the feedback(ahhahaha)!"

The BBC confirmed it had received 445 complaints about Neville's commentary on Saturday, but added he would continue to play "a key role throughout the tournament".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-suffolk-27872023

I usually find Jon Ronson's journalism extremely annoying. However, this (long) piece is excellent - well worth a read.

'Overnight, everything I loved was gone': the internet shaming of Lindsey Stone

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/21/internet-shaming-lindsey-stone-jon-ronson

It's a thought-provoking examination of the power of social media and the hysteria that online mobs demonstrate.

The most powerful aspect for me was the interview with Adria Richards who spoke like a brainwashed cult member and seemed unable to understand why her reaction to two guys sharing a dick joke was so OTT and ludicrous.

I usually find Jon Ronson's journalism extremely annoying. However, this (long) piece is excellent - well worth a read.

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/21/internet-shaming-lindsey-stone-jon-ronson

It's a thought-provoking examination of the power of social media and the hysteria that online mobs demonstrate.

The most powerful aspect for me was the interview with Adria Richards who spoke like a brainwashed cult member and seemed unable to understand why her reaction to two guys sharing a dick joke was so OTT and ludicrous.

Its an excellent piece.

It's an extremely good piece.

Most like that do focus on trivial or immaterial gaffes that go horribly wrong when it goes viral, there is also an even more sinister side where people purposely try to make that situation happen to someone else, or feign harassment as a way of painting a target on someone else's back.

The solution is perhaps not to use Twitter?

The solution is perhaps not to use Twitter?

Well that is one solution, certainly, but that is a bit like saying that the solution is not to talk to anyone, or ever to leave your house.

Like it or not social media is a huge part of modern life and an important commuication tool. Simply telling people to avoid is not especially realistic.

Well that is one solution, certainly, but that is a bit like saying that the solution is not to talk to anyone, or ever to leave your house.

Like it or not social media is a huge part of modern life and an important commuication tool. Simply telling people to avoid is not especially realistic.

I'm now off FB for 13 months but still on Twitter and Meet-Up. Difficult to totally avois social media.

Here's a strange one:

5 March 2015 Last updated at 00:02
Who's that girl? The curious case of Leah Palmer
By Zoe Kleinman Technology reporter

Have you met Leah Palmer?
She is an attractive, single, fun-loving 20-something Briton currently living the high life in Dubai.
She has an active social-media presence and often chats with family and friends on sites such as Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.
If you are a man, you might even have spotted Leah on dating app Tinder, looking for romance.
Ignore the man in the photo. He is her nasty ex-boyfriend.
Actually, Leah Palmer does not exist.
The woman in the photograph is Ruth Palmer, and she is happily married to Benjamin Graves.
He is not a horrible former partner, he is her husband.

Ruth recently discovered that for the past three years somebody has been routinely lifting photographs of her, her family and friends from social networks, and setting up a network of fake media profiles of them - which all communicate with each other. :eek:
This person, calling themselves Leah Palmer, branded Ruth's husband a "psychotic ex" in her version of Ruth's photos and had online relationships with at least six different men, who all thought they were cyber-dating Ruth - the woman in the pictures.
While Ruth has 140 followers on Instagram, Leah has more than 800 - and all her photographs, more than 900, are of Ruth and her friends.

etc, etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-31710738

I keep well away from 'social' media. My name might pop up occassionally on the internet (and not all of those refer to me!), but I don't think there are any photos of me out there. I keep a low profile! :cool:

Also there's the fact that in the case of Adria Richards, the two blokes were nowhere near Twitter. They were just sharing a private, and in my view uncontroversial, joke. Richards decided to bring that into the public domain and one bloke lost his job. It's frightening that this can happen. I have noticed, however, that a lot of the time the situation is made worse by the victim's employer, many of whom operate in US states with so-called "fire at will" (no reason needed, no recourse) policies. :mad:

Ruth recently discovered that for the past three years somebody has been routinely lifting photographs of her, her family and friends from social networks, and setting up a network of fake media profiles of them - which all communicate with each other. :eek:

That's terrifying, and there's a real 'prestige' type quality to it, as the temptation is to believe that someone couldn't actually be warped enough to do that, or have the time to put in to make it convincing.

Privacy advocates try to keep ‘creepy,’ ‘eavesdropping’ Hello Barbie from hitting shelves

To revive the sinking sales of its flagship brand, Mattel is bringing Barbie to life with voice-recognition software that will allow the doll to "listen" to children speak and give chatty responses. It will learn over time, remembering your dog's name and adjusting to new topics.

This WiFi-connected Barbie may soon be a hit among children used to tinkering with iPads, but children's privacy advocates are crying foul. Hello Barbie may be more accurately called "eavesdropping" Barbie, says one advocacy group. Another popular description? Creepy.

Hello Barbie works by recording a child's voice with an embedded microphone that is triggered by pressing a button on the doll. As the doll "listens," audio recordings travel over the Web to a server where the snippets of speech are recognized and processed. That information is used to help form Hello Barbie's responses.

"If I had a young child, I would be very concerned that my child's intimate conversations with her doll were being recorded and analyzed," Angela Campbell, faculty adviser at Georgetown University's Center on Privacy and Technology, said in a statement.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...-hello-barbie-from-hitting-shelves/?tid=sm_tw

After the UK ID cards furore blew over I hoped putting citizens' private details on a database was history in this country, but now the Scottish Government are pushing ahead with more or less the same plans. Not happy about this at all.

I gave up on this crap years ago when people were telling me this would never happen.
It's all too late and there's nothing we can do about it now. The time to make the case was missed years ago. The genie is out of the bottle.

And we are well and truly fucked.

At least the UK Government quietly forgot about it when it proved an embarrassment, so what the SNP think they have to gain by leaving Scots vulnerable to hackers, mix-ups, commercial nuisances and general nosey parker troublemakers I have no idea. But I wish they'd stop.

The Interview: Author Jon Ronson on digital shaming
Jon Ronson on the uses and abuses of digital shaming, the personal wreckage, and the fear you might be the next target

Welsh journalist Jon Ronson, author of The Men Who Stare at Goats —Ewan McGregor played him in the film—has been described by Daily Show host Jon Stewart as an “investigative satirist.” Ronson is also a heavy Twitter user and was an enthusiastic participant in many a social-media denunciation of those he considered richly deserving. But after an unsettling online experience of his own, Ronson decided to investigate the contemporary shaming phenomenon in depth. The results, as captured in his forthcoming book, So You’ve Been Publicly Shamed, curbed his enthusiasm.

Q: You came into this via a sort of “spambotting” (if that’s a verb), an experience of seeing yourself being caricatured online.

A: Right, yes, to being spambotted. I didn’t realize that was a verb now. I discovered a parody version of me, a fake Twitter account exhibiting my face and name but with a completely different personality. I wouldn’t say that it was a caricature, because it was nothing like me; that was the problem. There were all these people following it, the kind of people who enjoyed my books, and also people I knew in real life, who were perplexed because I had profoundly altered my personality. ...

http://www.macleans.ca/society/the-interview-author-jon-ronson-on-digital-shaming/

This is odd: Google search results can vary from person to person, because of what Google infers about searchers.

How the net traps us all in our own little bubbles
An invisible revolution has taken place is the way we use the net, but the increasing personalisation of information by search engines such as Google threatens to limit our access to information and enclose us in a self-reinforcing world view, writes Eli Pariser in an extract from The Filter Bubble
Eli Pariser
The Observer, Sunday 12 June 2011

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/20 ... -filtering
It must be about the time I posted this that I decided that Google is Evil, and have hardly ever used it since.

Today the Telegraph has this link to a Google story:

How to see the terrifying things Google knows about you and your habits

However, I've not clicked the link or read the story as I hope Google knows very little about me (and also because the D.T. limits the number of its articles I can access each week). But if you're curious give it a go - and, of course, report any horror stories back here!

Turned off Google History several years ago. Not many are aware of this function. In addition I am never logged into Google in the browser I am usually using for search. I am using a separate browser for Youtube account and Google account stuff.

Turned off Google History several years ago. Not many are aware of this function. In addition I am never logged into Google in the browser I am usually using for search. I am using a separate browser for Youtube account and Google account stuff.
How do you turn if off?

How do you turn if off?

If you got a Google account there's something called Activity Controls and
Your searches and browsing activity, which can be paused.

If you don't have a google account, there's nothing to delete, except perhaps the Google cookies once in a while.

If you got a Google account there's something called Activity Controls and
Your searches and browsing activity, which can be paused.

If you don't have a google account, there's nothing to delete, except perhaps the Google cookies once in a while.
Ta, I only log in an out when I need to (almost never).

Back