• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

What do you think is the most likely ?

• The Ripper was a Freemason?

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • The Ripper had medical knowledge?

Votes: 10 13.9%
  • It was Maybrick?

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • The Ripper was 'of the same class' as his victims?

Votes: 9 12.5%
  • The Ripper was foreign?

Votes: 2 2.8%
  • It was Druitt?

• None of the suspects yet put forward?

Votes: 17 23.6%
  • It was a woman?

• Another?

Votes: 19 26.4%

• Total voters
Garrick

The we are almost in agreement -- but it's been an interesting discussion nevertheless.

Incidentally, I was doing some googling about the James Maybrick case, and while the 'diary' story is clearly horsefeathers of the first magnitude, I was unaware of the existence of the 'Maybrick Watch', which appears to have withstood some serious scientific scrutiny.

I didn't bring this up as you had so firmly put me in my place about the diary being a hoax.

I presume that the forgers' Granny forged the watch 50 or 60 years ago and then told their progeny to forge the diary?

We'll never know unless we nick the TARDIS for a few, and maybe that's what REALLY makes JTR Fortean? :eek:

One explanation could be that Maybrick (who was, after all, a genuine murderer)

I'm sorry, have you actually read the book, or do you get all of your facts off of the web?

Whom was he supposed to have murdered? His wife was found guilty of HIS murder (dodgy in the extreme)

If you have any proof that Maybrick ever killed anybody, please share.

It's ok, at least you admit to your mistakes :D

I don't really have any prime candidate, but i've always found the watch intriguing.

As i stated a while ago, no evidence, however compelling, will ever "solve" this case. There are simply too many people making a good living out of "we don't know"

The same could be said for JFK..............

As for Mrs Maybrick, was doing some reading up on the subject and it appears that no clear motive was ever produced for her murdering her husband.

Apart from the fact that she was shagging another guy? Albert Brierly IIRC.

She didn't try to poison him, it was one of the greatest miscarriages of justice of all time.

As i said, no candidate will ever be "proved" to be jtf because too many people have a vested interest in keeping the mystery alive.

I was surprised that you mention that you know who killed JFK.

I seem to have missed all the tv documentaries and books that "prove" any of the myriad theories beyond doubt. :D

Nah, she was just administering arsenic to him surreptitiously for fun, right? And the fact that her home contained enough arsenic to kill 50 people?

He was an Arsenic addict for YEARS, the solution was called beef tea or some such. And she only gave it to him because he was begging for it whilst in withdrawal. IIRC the bollix about "enough arsenic to kill 50 people" came from a copper who wanted the case wrapped up PDQ.

Interestingly, Mrs Maybrick was eventually given a full pardon.

Cheers though. I'm gonna have to dig out my copy of the book. Even if he wasn't JTR, the whole Maybrick case is truly fucked up.

So frustrated that i can't fine my damn copy of that book right now. :twisted:

IIRC she was released at the behest of Queen Vic (she had been sentenced to life)if you don't want to call that a pardon then it's just semantics.

As for administering it to himself, the book went into detail about the long term effects of arsenic addiction and how, ironically, it was when JM tried to quit the stuff that the debilitation took hold and he was no longer ABLE to fix himself up.

Her full term was life without chance of appeal so not sure how she was released having served it.

i will find the book and give you the low-down on arsenic addiction and the medical opinions quoted. I'll do that Post-haste (read the book, you'll get the reference) :p

People taking arsenic as medicine were not uncommon in the Victorian period - in fact another murder trial, Madeleine Smith, hinged on the issue.

I don't know about the Maybrick watch. In may ways the absurd Diary devalues it. Unfortunately its all about proving negatives - can the watch be proved to be genuinely independent of the Diary? If it was a genuinely independent discovery then then the coincidence is astonishing, as no-one suspected Maybrick before the emergence of the Diary.

Many people did obsess about the Ripper, and there are numerous letters claiming to be from the Ripper which obviously are not. (They can't ALL be , for a start!)

Has anyone actually read the book yet? I see it's already pretty lowly priced on Amazon, which is never a good sign :)

May pick it up for pride of place next to the Cornwell opus :)

A

I can't quite believe this combination of characters has snuck under the radar - I can't see any reference to it elsewhere, apologies if I've missed it.

Anyway: Jack the Ripper and Bruce Robinson.

“I say in the introduction to the book that this isn’t a theory, it’s an explanation – and I sincerely believe it is,” he says. “I’m not a man given to kidding himself – I wouldn’t have spent this long working on it unless I was pretty damn sure of it.”...

Now, there's bold for you.

His book, They All Love Jack: Busting the Ripper, is published in September.

Article here.

Jack the Ripper Mystery Solved (yet again :rolleyes:)

Jack the Ripper mystery finally SOLVED? Murderer was 'estranged husband of Mary Kelly'
ONE of the greatest murder mysteries in history could be a step closer to being solved after new evidence emerged claiming Jack the Ripper's final victim was in fact his estranged wife.
By TOM BATCHELOR
PUBLISHED: 12:52, Sat, Aug 1, 2015 | UPDATED: 13:15, Sat, Aug 1, 2015

Jack-the-Ripper-595385.jpg
GETTY

Victorian serial killer Jack the Ripper is thought to have murdered five people
As the body of one of the serial killer’s victims is set to exhumed, a new study suggests the Ripper was Francis Spurzheim Craig, a 51-year-old reporter covering inquests in the East End of London.

Researcher Dr Wynne Weston-Davies claims Craig’s intimate knowledge of how the police worked from covering the courts allowed him to get away with his crimes.

RELATED ARTICLES
But he believes the first four murders were simply a “cover” for his real intended victim - his wife who embarrassed him by secretly returning to prostitution a few months after they married in 1885.

After hearing the new theory, the Ministry of Justice has said it will grant an exhumation license for the grave of Mary Jane Kelly – the first of the Ripper’s victims to be dug up.

Dr Weston-Davies claims to be the great-nephew of Ms Kelly, an East End prostitute and the Ripper’s last known victim.

Jack-Ripper-325787.jpg
GETTY

The corpse of Annie Chapman, murdered by Jack the Ripper at Hanbury Street, September 8, 1888
According to his research, Craig’s career as a journalist was damaged after he was exposed as a plagiarist for stealing reports from another newspaper while he was editor of the Bucks Advertiser.

Craig is also thought to have suffered from schizo-typal personality disorder, or STPD

It is hoped Ms Kelly's exhumed body will go some way to substantiating the author’s claims – and revealing once and for all his true identity.

Jack-Ripper-325788.jpg
GETTY

Jack the Ripper was the subject of many newspaper articles in the 1880s
Dr Weston-Davies – who is also a qualified surgeon – said: “The only way of absolutely proving that the Ripper’s final victim was my great aunt is to exhume Mary Jane Kelly’s body.

“We will then attempt to extract DNA from her bones or teeth and compare them with DNA from myself or my brother who, as far as I know, are her only living relatives.”

The author says he discovered the link and the potential identity of the Ripper during research at the National Archives at Kew, south-west London, four years ago.

RELATED ARTICLES
He claims in his new book, The Real Mary Kelly, that divorce papers that were filed at the time prove his links with Elizabeth Weston Davies, the real name of Mary Jane Kelly, and Francis Craig, her killer.

Dr Weston-Davies has also located what he believes may be the only surviving image of the face of the Ripper – a sketch of an inquest into the murder of one of his earlier victims.

He said: “There’s a sketch of a scene from the inquest of Annie Chapman which shows a man sitting on the front bench, the one reserved for the press.

“I think this is very possibly Francis Craig, and therefore the only surviving image of Jack the Ripper.”

Jack-Ripper-325789.jpg
GETTY

A London street where one of Jack the Ripper's murders took place

http://www.express.co.uk/news/histo...-solved-serial-killer-Francis-Spurzheim-Craig

I don't really buy serial murder as a blind for an individual murder. Generally speaking, by the time you want to kill someone you probably really want to kill them - the accumulated risks of a series of murders increases the chances of discovery exponentially and therefore drastically increases the chances that your original intent will never be realised. In general, I strongly suspect that this mechanism is best left to novel writers.

I'm surmising, and actually it would be really interesting to know if there has ever been such a case. There have, I think, been instances where multiple killing has been used to obscure an individual target (wasn't there, years ago, an apparent plane bombing in the US which resulted in multiple fatalities but which turned out to be motivated by the killing of a specific individual?) but I think these tend to be individual instances of multiple murder rather than an extended series of crimes.

Well, the new Jack the Ripper museum in East London is creating quite a stir. Women dressed as suffragettes have protested outside the site, claiming that the original planning application was for a "museum dedicated to womens history" but instead has turned into a tacky misogynist tourist attraction that glorifies violence against women.

iXnCLVR.jpg

Architect Andrew Waugh has since weighed in claiming that he was duped into working on the project
“It is salacious, misogynist rubbish,” Waugh told Building Design online. “The local community was duped, we were duped. They came to us and said they had no money but that this is a real heartfelt project. It is incredibly important to celebrate women in politics in the East End. We really ran with it. We did it at a bargain-basement fee, at cost price because we thought it was a great thing to do.

...Museum founder Mark Palmer-Edgcumbe, 47, a former Head of Diversity at Google, claims that that he planned to open a museum about the social history of women, but that as the project developed he decided a more interesting angle was from the perspective of the victims of the Ripper.

Former Head of Diversity? You couldn't make it up, could you? (Also, that Grauniad article strangely fails to mention that he used to be one of their columnists. )

Last edited:
Wasn't diversity a bit of a grey area back in the time that those ladies are re-enacting. I dont think those ladies thought this one out too well. To me it looks like a grubby late 19th century scene in which they are demanding rights - not modern day women in limited looking costumes digging up the past. Sorry girls....and where is all the smog and a chimney sweep aged 6?

If you think about it, even your average ghost tour has a lot of tragedy behind it only it's impact is diluted with time.

I remember a discussion about Whitby.
'Captain Cook Country' or 'Draculaland'.
I mean what are you going to go for?

Draculaland every time!

Well, the new Jack the Ripper museum in East London is creating quite a stir. Women dressed as suffragettes have protested outside the site, claiming that the original planning application was for a "museum dedicated to womens history" but instead has turned into a tacky misogynist tourist attraction that glorifies violence against women.

iXnCLVR.jpg

Architect Andrew Waugh has since weighed in claiming that he was duped into working on the project

Former Head of Diversity? You couldn't make it up, could you? (Also, that Grauniad article strangely fails to mention that he used to be one of their columnists. )

Hate to say it as a feminist myself, but the one in the corset is dressed in a way that even the most shameless 19thC hooker would find impossible. Her stays are underwear! They'd be firmly under your clothes. She is objectifying women more than the 'attraction'. Not sure what period any of them think they're doing - it's defo not 1888 or Edwardian Suffragettes... The one on the right swathed in her grandma's table cloths just looks like a mad cat lady.

As for any serious discussion of the issue - the history of crime (whether man against woman or man against man or woman against woman or man) will always fascinate us. We only understand ourselves through the lens of the aberrant. In the 19thC there were touring waxwork shows, showing murderers etc a la Madame Tussauds but maybe even tackier - it's just in that carny tradition.

Anyway aren't they being sexist assuming JtheR was a man?

Yes I agree. Does this mean that in a 100 years time there will be Yorkshire Ripper tours in operation.

I doubt it. The passage of time isn't the only issue here. The whole thing with Jack the Ripper is the mystery and legends surrounding it. The Yorkshire Ripper was caught, hence there's no mystery and therefore a very different kind if interest. If JTR had been caught, I seriously doubt there would be any tours, let alone a museum.

Having said that, the mystery alone doesn't explain how the JTR phenomena seems to have melded into the fabric of local and poular legend or gained a foothold in fiction (and therefore its status as a tourist attraction). Looking at the sign above the door, you can see how the character has become almost romanticised; top hat, cape etc. Even the protesters dressed like extras from a school play! It seems that the fabled foggy streets of victorian London and our modern-day misconceptions of what life was like there and then is just more 'Hollywood' than Yorkshire in the 70s. A Bible John tour in Glasgow anyone? Perish the thought!

I can't imagine anyone other than the most ghoulish being interested in visiting locations associated with any other serial killer, but for whatever reason, Jack seems to be different in the public consiousness... Or at least to some / a lot of people. The reasons why aren't clear cut though (No pun intended!)

Back