• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Time Or Dimensional Slips

The tide was one element in the complex events at Crabrock Point, Brixham, Devon. In March 1938 a visitor, Mr Spence, had crossed the sand one day but at the same time next day the tide made it impossible (other physical things had changed). This is Chap 10 in Adventures in Time by MacKenzie.
I used to know Brixham quite well, but I don't think I know Crabrock Point. I'll check, but even in this reality things might have changed since 1938.

I used to know Brixham quite well, but I don't think I know Crabrock Point. I'll check, but even in this reality things might have changed since 1938.

A websearch did not turn it up (although it did have several mentions of a holiday cottage called Crab Quay, and plenty about Devon crab in general!)

The thing is, Brixham itself does not really have any sandy beaches. The Ordnance Survey map shows Elberry Cove and Broad Sands a couple of miles to the NW. Breakwater Beach is just east, outside the BW, and the next beach south is St Marys Bay, about a mile south of Brixham.

But the next beach down from there is Man Beach, and the point at the south end of that is Crabrock Point!

But this is where this whole thing gets freakishly weird! Because I posted about Man Beach on Strange Deaths very recently. The story was about a murdered woman found near stables in Brixham, and starts here:
http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/strange-deaths-ii.20676/page-63#post-1586392

Coincidentally or not, a dead horse was found in the sea near Brixham. My comment on this, last Thursday, mentions Man Beach, http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/strange-deaths-ii.20676/page-63#post-1586418

So, I posted about a beach I'd never heard of before on Thursday, and today, Monday, I just posted about it again!!

Do I get a special prize for Coincidence of the Month, or what? Or is that corner of Devon especially weird? Or is the Cosmic Joker fooling with me?

I think I need to dose my brain with alcohol to sort this thing out...

So, I've identified Crabrock Point and Man sands, but I don't think it gets us much further. The only access today is via Mansands Lane, which angles down across a steep slope, and it can't have been much different in '38. Perhaps the easiest access would be by boat from Brixham. It's certainly a secluded beach, but it seems to be secluded from amenities like teashops and toilets too!

'The tide was one element in the complex events at Crabrock Point, Brixham, Devon. In March 1938 a visitor, Mr Spence, had crossed the sand one day but at the same time next day the tide made it impossible (other physical things had changed). This is Chap 10 in Adventures in Time by MacKenzie.'

There are too many unknowns, especially as I don't have access to 1938 tide tables! I've been toying with the idea that the clocks went onto Summer Time between the two visits, so "the same time next day" would 'really' have been an hour earlier. And the tides get later every day by an average of 50 minutes, which cancels out most of that hour anyway! It's probably simpler to claim that his watch stopped or he otherwise mistook the time! It doesn't take long for a rising tide to cover a flat beach, especially around half-tide level, when the tide height is increasing fastest.

Another approach is to ask why he was crossing the sand. The beach is enclosed at both ends by rocks and cliffs, so there's really nowhere to go. The coastal footpath runs along the top of the cliffs now, but what state it was in in '38 I don't know. And it can be accessed from Man Sands anyway, at the bottom of the Lane.

If I come up with any more ideas I'll post 'em.

There have been purchases allegedly of petrol, soft drinks, etc. in more recent cases. In several cases people have dined at cafes and restaurants that no longer exist and visited hotels no longer there.

We've often wished my brother would have been able to make a purchase during his (apparent) timeslip experience back in the 70's, although it was his returning to make a purchase that alerted him that the store had gone missing, and had been for at least 15 years.

Had he been able to buy the things he wanted at the moment, he might never have realized anything was amiss.

Talk about time-slips, what about that plane that took off from Brazil in 1946 that ended up missing only for it to land, 46 yrs later in 1993, at the Bogota, Columbia airport?

Lockheed-Constellation-300x229.jpg

“The only thing I can tell you is that the plane took off at the airport in Rio de Janeiro on September 21, 1946 and went missing during its flight. Over 47 years, the same plane lands at another airport in South America, and no one can explain what happened meantime. How a plane carrying only skeletons on board made the landing, only God knows! The 36 passengers including crew of four took off after all regulations,” said the aviation expert shortly after investigation.
http://www.foxcrawl.com/2014/03/14/...-in-1946-landed-in-1993/#sthash.yvTomnSM.dpuf

The incredible story began when an unknown aircraft with a very old inscription, Panair Do Brasil, came out of nowhere and began landing maneuvers at Bogota airport in Colombia. The airport staff tried in vain to prevent the unknown plane from landing because a BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation) was preparing to land at the same time on the same runway. Thanks to the skillful maneuvering of 54-old-year Captain Anthony Bollard, the British airliner was able to avoid a fatal collision in split second.
http://www.foxcrawl.com/2014/03/14/...-in-1946-landed-in-1993/#sthash.yvTomnSM.dpuf

I have to do more look-ups on this story to check its veracity. :cooll:

Update: It's a hoax.

Last edited:
http://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/south-west-england/devon/man-sands-photos.htm

19 photos of Man Sands.
And there's not a lot of sand there, actually! Much of the upper part of the beach consists of large rounded pebbles. But the photos do show how the beach is enclosed by cliffs and rocks at either end.

Crabrock cottage is holiday accommodation. EDIT: Some sources say it's old Coastguard Houses, which seems very likely.

http://crabrockcottage.com/index.htm

I doubt if much has changed on the beach and adjacent land since 1938 - it seems stuck in a time-warp!

Last edited:
http://www.thebeachguide.co.uk/south-west-england/devon/man-sands-photos.htm

19 photos of Man Sands.
And there's not a lot of sand there, actually! Much of the upper part of the beach consists of large rounded pebbles. But the photos do show how the beach is enclosed by cliffs and rocks at either end.

Crabrock cottage is holiday accommodation. EDIT: Some sources say it's old Coastguard Houses, which seems very likely.

http://crabrockcottage.com/index.htm

I doubt if much has changed on the beach and adjacent land since 1938 - it seems stuck in a time-warp!

This is all getting very interesting -- you seem to be the ideal person to carry the investigation further. Half of my Rougham research depended upon unlikely coincidences, so I have learned just to go with the flow, as they say. Do you have access to a copy of MacKenzie's book? If not I'll scan the relevant chapter and send it to you. Your point about the tide may have been brought up in that source, but if not it would certainly worth looking into.

Talk about time-slips, what about that plane that took off from Brazil in 1946 that ended up missing only for it to land, 46 yrs later in 1993, at the Bogota, Columbia airport?

“The only thing I can tell you is that the plane took off at the airport in Rio de Janeiro on September 21, 1946 and went missing during its flight. Over 47 years, the same plane lands at another airport in South America, and no one can explain what happened meantime. How a plane carrying only skeletons on board made the landing, only God knows! The 36 passengers including crew of four took off after all regulations,” said the aviation expert shortly after investigation.

The incredible story began when an unknown aircraft with a very old inscription, Panair Do Brasil, came out of nowhere and began landing maneuvers at Bogota airport in Colombia. The airport staff tried in vain to prevent the unknown plane from landing because a BOAC (British Overseas Airways Corporation) was preparing to land at the same time on the same runway. Thanks to the skillful maneuvering of 54-old-year Captain Anthony Bollard, the British airliner was able to avoid a fatal collision in split second.

I have to do more look-ups on this story to check its veracity. :cooll:

I thought it was a bit too like a rather unlikely sf film to be true! But I have come across a case that might be worth looking into in which a plane coming in to land disappeared, visually and on radar, for 10 minutes before reappearing. This also sounds too good to be true, but you never know.

We've often wished my brother would have been able to make a purchase during his (apparent) timeslip experience back in the 70's, although it was his returning to make a purchase that alerted him that the store had gone missing, and had been for at least 15 years.

Had he been able to buy the things he wanted at the moment, he might never have realized anything was amiss.

Not sure if I have come across your brother's story -- can you give more details?

There's a surprise..

Here's one I've heard about a few times and was lucky to find it online too. I first read about it in a book called "Ghosts in the Air":

FLIGHT INTO THE FUTURE

In 1935, Air Marshal Sir Victor Goddard of the British Royal Air Force had a harrowing experience in his Hawker Hart biplane. Goddard was a Wing Commander at the time and while on a flight from Edinburgh, Scotland to his home base in Andover, England, he decided to fly over an abandoned airfield at Drem, not far from Edinburgh.

The useless airfield was overgrown with foliage, the hangars were falling apart and cows grazed where planes were once parked. Goddard then continued his flight to Andover, but encountered a bizarre storm. In the high winds of the storm's strange brown-yellow clouds, he lost control of his plane, which began to spiral toward the ground. Narrowly averting a crash, Goddard found that his plane was heading back toward Drem.

As he approached the old airfield, the storm suddenly vanished and Goddard's plane was now flying in brilliant sunshine. This time, as he flew over the Drem airfield, it looked completely different. The hangars looked like new. There were four airplanes on the ground: three were familiar biplanes, but painted in an unfamiliar yellow; the fourth was a monoplane, which the RAF had none of in 1935. The mechanics were dressed in blue overalls, which Goddard thought odd since all RAF mechanics dressed in brown overalls. Strange, too, that none of the mechanics seemed to notice him fly over. Leaving the area, he again encountered the storm, but managed to make his way back to Andover.

It wasn't until 1939 that that the RAF began to paint their planes yellow, enlisted a monoplane of the type that Goddard saw, and the mechanics uniforms were switched to blue. Had Goddard somehow flown four years into the future, then returned to his own time?

http://paranormal.about.com/od/timeanddimensiontravel/a/time-travelers.htm

Here's one I've heard about a few times and was lucky to find it online too. I first read about it in a book called "Ghosts in the Air":

FLIGHT INTO THE FUTURE

In 1935, Air Marshal Sir Victor Goddard of the British Royal Air Force had a harrowing experience in his Hawker Hart biplane. Goddard was a Wing Commander at the time and while on a flight from Edinburgh, Scotland to his home base in Andover, England, he decided to fly over an abandoned airfield at Drem, not far from Edinburgh.

The useless airfield was overgrown with foliage, the hangars were falling apart and cows grazed where planes were once parked. Goddard then continued his flight to Andover, but encountered a bizarre storm. In the high winds of the storm's strange brown-yellow clouds, he lost control of his plane, which began to spiral toward the ground. Narrowly averting a crash, Goddard found that his plane was heading back toward Drem.

As he approached the old airfield, the storm suddenly vanished and Goddard's plane was now flying in brilliant sunshine. This time, as he flew over the Drem airfield, it looked completely different. The hangars looked like new. There were four airplanes on the ground: three were familiar biplanes, but painted in an unfamiliar yellow; the fourth was a monoplane, which the RAF had none of in 1935. The mechanics were dressed in blue overalls, which Goddard thought odd since all RAF mechanics dressed in brown overalls. Strange, too, that none of the mechanics seemed to notice him fly over. Leaving the area, he again encountered the storm, but managed to make his way back to Andover.

It wasn't until 1939 that that the RAF began to paint their planes yellow, enlisted a monoplane of the type that Goddard saw, and the mechanics uniforms were switched to blue. Had Goddard somehow flown four years into the future, then returned to his own time?

http://paranormal.about.com/od/timeanddimensiontravel/a/time-travelers.htm

This is a classic case, and although people have attempted to explain it away as the result of the Wing Commander totally losing his bearings, it suggests a comparison with the famous Bermuda Triangle case which was also correlated with strange weather conditions (Bruce Gernon case, Dec 1970).

This is a classic case, and although people have attempted to explain it away as the result of the Wing Commander totally losing his bearings, it suggests a comparison with the famous Bermuda Triangle case which was also correlated with strange weather conditions (Bruce Gernon case, Dec 1970).

My gut feeling is that this one is a true account and not fiction.

Here's more on that incident from another site. The excerpt below is midway through the story:
http://www.strangerdimensions.com/2015/02/25/sir-victor-goddards-time-slip-adventure/

Flying Through Time

As he approached the airfield, hoping to reorient himself, suddenly the storm vanished and the sky turned bright and sunny. It stopped raining. Everything became clear. But something was different, this time.

The airfield at Drem was no longer abandoned. In fact, it looked good as new. He could see mechanics down below, and four planes, each painted yellow, sat on the runway.

One was a model he’d never seen before, a monoplane unlike anything in the Royal Air Force in 1935. And what were the mechanics wearing? Blue overalls? This, along with the yellow planes, Goddard found strangest of all — RAF mechanics in 1935 wore brownoveralls, not blue, and there were no yellow planes, to his knowledge.

Goddard didn’t have much time to think about it, though, because he was flying too quickly to truly understand what he was seeing. By the time he’d passed over the airfield, the storm had suddenly returned, and the bright sunshine dissolved into hard rain and those strange yellow clouds engulfed him once more. Once again, he found himself battling for control of his airplane. But this time he won, and was able to land safely at his home base.

When he finally landed, he couldn’t help but tell his friends what had happened. As you’d expect, he was met with skepticism, and afterward he mostly kept the story to himself. He didn’t want anyone to think he was crazy, after all. He’d later retell it (among other things) in his 1975 book Flight Towards Reality.

Last edited:
Do you have access to a copy of MacKenzie's book? [No..] If not I'll scan the relevant chapter and send it to you. Your point about the tide may have been brought up in that source, but if not it would certainly worth looking into.
But if you can scan it, why not just post the file on here? I'm sure others would be interested too.

Not sure if I have come across your brother's story -- can you give more details?

Sure. This is how I remember the story being told, but I can also ask him for more details if you'd like. (Also, I misspoke in my post above, it was ten years the shop had not been there, though the time slip may have been 15 years into the past)

This happened while my brother was visiting home from college, so it would have been sometime between 1973 and 1977. Brother had been working with our dad outside of Seguin, Texas, and after they were done for the day, Dad decided to stop at his usual barbershop in town for a haircut.

My brother was eager to avoid having a haircut himself, so he told dad that he was going for a walk instead. Brother walked for a block or two, looking in shop windows, when he came across a sort of general store. Now, my brother is a serious comic book nerd, so I don't know if he spotted the rack of comic books through the window and that's what drew him in, or he just happened to walk in and find them. At any rate, that's the thing he really noticed in the shop, the comic books on the rack.

Because he was such a comic book nerd, he quickly realized that all the comics were all at least 15 years old. They didn't look old, there was no sign that the paper had aged, but they were all long out of date. Thinking he'd stumbled upon a treasure trove, he was excited, but as it happened, he didn't have any money with him at that moment. He resolved to return on payday, in two or three days time.

Payday came, and my brother went back to the shop - except there was no shop. Instead, it was a restaurant. Thinking he'd been confused, he retraced his steps and walked around every block in the neighborhood, but there was no sign of the place. He says he kept up the search for a good long while, because it was so strange - a shop doesn't just disappear. The only place it could have been was where the restaurant was now located, though, and finally he went inside and asked one of the employees how long the restaurant had been there. The employee told him it had been about 10 years.

I've asked my brother if he noticed anything else peculiar about the shop, and he said no, everything else seemed ordinary. He also said there was a clerk working inside, but there was nothing odd about their interactions, either.

Last edited:
Now, my brother is a serious comic book nerd, so I don't know if he spotted the rack of comic books through the window and that's what drew him in, or he just happened to walk in and find them. At any rate, that's the thing he really noticed in the shop, the comic books on the rack.

Because he was such a comic book nerd, he quickly realized that all the comics were all at least 15 years old. They didn't look old, there was no sign that the paper had aged, but they were all long out of date.

A couple of random obs... in Stephen King's book 11/22/63 about time travel and the Kennedy assassination, one of the first things the hero is drawn to, as I seem to remember, is the old comic books in the corner shop and the prices on them. Maybe I've made that up.

Entering a shop and searching through superhero comic books on the shelves is a recurring dream of mine which cries out to have psychological or symbolic meaning but I've never pinned it down.

More prosaically I've had the experience of going down a familiar city centre road at night for the first time and finding it filled with exotic and noisy nightlife I had no idea was there, and which there was no trace of by day...how could clubs and dancing girls turn into bookshops and cafes? The solution of course is that the night time road was running parallel to the more familiar daytime one and I wasn't paying sufficient attention to be clear which street I was on.

Sure. This is how I remember the story being told, but I can also ask him for more details if you'd like. (Also, I misspoke in my post above, it was ten years the shop had not been there, though the time slip may have been 15 years into the past)

This happened while my brother was visiting home from college, so it would have been sometime between 1973 and 1977. Brother had been working with our dad outside of Seguin, Texas, and after they were done for the day, Dad decided to stop at his usual barbershop in town for a haircut.

My brother was eager to avoid having a haircut himself, so he told dad that he was going for a walk instead. Brother walked for a block or two, looking in shop windows, when he came across a sort of general store. Now, my brother is a serious comic book nerd, so I don't know if he spotted the rack of comic books through the window and that's what drew him in, or he just happened to walk in and find them. At any rate, that's the thing he really noticed in the shop, the comic books on the rack.

Because he was such a comic book nerd, he quickly realized that all the comics were all at least 15 years old. They didn't look old, there was no sign that the paper had aged, but they were all long out of date. Thinking he'd stumbled upon a treasure trove, he was excited, but as it happened, he didn't have any money with him at that moment. He resolved to return on payday, in two or three days time.

Payday came, and my brother went back to the shop - except there was no shop. Instead, it was a restaurant. Thinking he'd been confused, he retraced his steps and walked around every block in the neighborhood, but there was no sign of the place. He says he kept up the search for a good long while, because it was so strange - a shop doesn't just disappear. The only place it could have been was where the restaurant was now located, though, and finally he went inside and asked one of the employees how long the restaurant had been there. The employee told him it had been about 10 years.

I've asked my brother if he noticed anything else peculiar about the shop, and he said no, everything else seemed ordinary. He also said there was a clerk working inside, but there was nothing odd about their interactions, either.

That's a great story, and if you can get any more details out of your brother that would be much appreciated--e.g. the time (I know it was "late in the day"), time of year, weather conditions, etc. Any memory of his conversation with the clerk? Any way of checking into whether there had been a comic shop there, prior to becoming the restaurant? It's typical of a sizeable number of cases involving shops, restaurants, and other buildings. Thanks a lot!

I tried to upload the Dangerous Walk on the Cliffs file but was told it was too large. I will upload it to dropbox instead and post a link.

Phew! More info than you can shake a stick at! But nothing that really resolves the issues one way or another.

Apart from the curious tides, this account mentions a cave extending under Crabrock Point - it would be interesting to find out if it still exists - and a Trig Point on the hillside nearby, which isn't shown on the Bing version of the current OS map.

This story seems to draw me in further with each new detail. On first hearing of it I mentioned the case I'd posted earlier about a drowned horse, which just possibly came from the stables up the hill, and may have entered the sea at Man Sands.
Mr. Spence's account involved a strong impression of "a cart-horse straining at a wagon-load of bricks that it could not possibly drag"....

Finally (for now!) Mr. Spence sent his account to the SPR after reading the experiences of Miss Moberly and Miss Jourdain in Versailles, and realising they were rather similar to his own.

And here I have to quote something I posted in 2012:

Having got quite intrigued by this story, I remembered I used to know a man called Moberly, back in the early 70s, so I dropped him an email, asking if he knew the story and whether, by any chance, he was distantly related to Charlotte Anne Moberly.

Here's his reply:

"Yes. She was my Great Aunt. I never met her, although she was much discussed in the family who were generally cautious or agnostic about the incident.

I had never actually read the book describing their 'Adventure', until recently. I found it fascinating, but difficult to follow in detail, despite the included maps, and despite having got modern maps of the relevant part of the Versailles gardens off the internet. I would love to go there one day and try to walk it out, or at least what is left of it, as they seem to have altered parts of it over the years. Anyway, I am not sure that my French is up to it.

There seem to be a range of 'explanations', none of which I find totally convincing though the story may possibly raise questions as to the true nature if time—a question for Philosophy, but also (I believe) for Physics, although I am not sure how far I can get my mind round that."

Well, that's my Christmas surprise! I'm only a few degrees of separation from a person involved in a famous paranormal experience! That's made my day! 8)

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index...ings-fortean-20th-century.46876/#post-1287442

My correspondant's comment (I found it fascinating, but difficult to follow in detail, despite the included maps, and despite having got modern maps of the relevant part of the Versailles gardens off the internet) sums up my feelings about this Crabrock case!

I think that's enough for one post! rynner out!

That's a great story, and if you can get any more details out of your brother that would be much appreciated--e.g. the time (I know it was "late in the day"), time of year, weather conditions, etc. Any memory of his conversation with the clerk? Any way of checking into whether there had been a comic shop there, prior to becoming the restaurant? It's typical of a sizeable number of cases involving shops, restaurants, and other buildings. Thanks a lot!

Hi Carl,

I happened to see my brother tonight, and quizzed him about the details. This is what he remembers:

He recalls it was Summer, probably 1975. It must have been mid-afternoon on a Wednesday, because he and dad had been at the cattle auction that morning. When the auction broke off for lunch, dad and brother went into town to the barbershop.

He says the shop was a small grocery store, the mom 'n pop type. It was on the corner, a free standing building, not attached to the others. He chose to go inside because he was just looking to kill time, but didn't want to wander too far, not knowing when dad would be finished. Inside, he remembers the place had wooden floors and wooden support beams. The only other thing he remembers, beside the comic/magazine rack, was an old fashioned soda machine next to the rack. (These would have been fairly rare in the 70's but not unheard of, especially in an old fashioned store).

He can't recall anything about the clerk or their interactions, only that nothing stood out as being strange about it.

Upon returning and finding a restaurant instead of a grocery store, he also asked the employee if they knew if there had ever been a grocery store in that place, but the employee said they didn't know.

He can't recall the name of the barber shop or store/restaurant, but can remember the location. He says the restaurant closed years ago, though. I'm pretty sure I can also remember the location of the barbershop, so the next time I have a chance, I'll pop over to Seguin and have a look. If I can get the address of the store/restaurant location, I can look at the public records and see what I can find.

BTW, while we did not live in Seguin, it was the next town over and our grandparents lived there, so it was not unfamiliar to us. Also, it's a smallish town (and was smaller then) so there wasn't too much room for confusion.

I wonder if we could get a google maps/street view image?

Yeah, the town's on street view, but we couldn't be certain we had the right place when looking at it. I'll have to go eyeball it in person just to make sure. As soon as I have an address, I'll post it. :)

Yeah, the town's on street view, but we couldn't be certain we had the right place when looking at it. I'll have to go eyeball it in person just to make sure. As soon as I have an address, I'll post it. :)

If it's still some kind of business or shop you've got to have a look inside. Then if you stop posting here we can assume you're stuck in the early 60's, trying to stop JFK getting shot.

One thing has baffled me about accounts of people who get time-shifted back to an earlier time, then purchase something in a shop.
How do they pay for it?
I mean, the money might be different. If you are a time traveller carrying recently minted currency from your own time, you have a problem.

One thing has baffled me about accounts of people who get time-shifted back to an earlier time, then purchase something in a shop.
How do they pay for it?
I mean, the money might be different. If you are a time traveller carrying recently minted currency from your own time, you have a problem.

Indeed. That is probably the strongest argument that some claimed cases - like the famous Avignon ('avin' you on?) one, are hoaxes. The French currency in 1979 looked nothing like that from the early part of the 1900s;

http://timeslipaccounts.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/well-leave-speed-of-light-on-for-you.html

Indeed. That is probably the strongest argument that some claimed cases - like the famous Avignon ('avin' you on?) one, are hoaxes. The French currency in 1979 looked nothing like that from the early part of the 1900s;

http://timeslipaccounts.blogspot.co.uk/2009/04/well-leave-speed-of-light-on-for-you.html
Well, that website is compulsive reading... I'll never get anything else done!

The Crabrock Point story is still teasing my mind. Although I've never actually been there, it is so similar to other places in Devon that I feel as if I have been there. And if half of these time slip stories are true, perhaps I have, on some different time-line.

In fact, I must have sailed past there several times, going to or from Brixham, and I've long felt a feeling of 'otherness' when sailing close to the coast. It is so close, geographically, and yet usually so far in the context of the other things I had to do at the time.

Anyhow, I can't stop here nattering, I intended doing some cooking today!

Back