• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

★ ~ The David Bowie Thread ~ ★

So who's your favourite Bowie axeman? No, don't just say Alomar coz he's on that most recent video.

Let's list them:
Bolan
Ronson
Alomar
Belew
Fripp
Slick
Gabrels
*Leonard
*Monder

*as yet unrecognised but y'never y'know.

Me, I can't go past Ronson for those Les Paul licks back in 70/71/72. Slick and Belew did amazing things on S2S, and Alomar, well what can you say? The mainstay. But Ronson's patterns made Bowie someone other than the boy next door. Greatest Bowie rocker for mine.

Ronson, but also Alomar, more for Young Americans.

He has just materialised in brown bag form in my kitchen... "I've never done good things, I've never done bag things..."

12419232_10153838732606352_6257991330882066888_o.jpg

Did Bowie ever do a cover of the Beatles classic 'Paperbag Writer'?

I'm racking them up! :D

He has just materialised in brown bag form in my kitchen... "I've never done good things, I've never done bag things..."
I've no idea what that means, which just goes to show how out-of-touch I am with the cultural mainstream.

But I've just made about 10 really loud sneezes. It's not hay fever season, and I haven't been sprinkling pepper around, so what's that all about?

I've no idea what that means, which just goes to show how out-of-touch I am with the cultural mainstream.
Ironically, I read it as a reference to a Bowie track from about 35 yrs ago, so not quite mainstream (although, @McAvennie will be the arbiter of that associative interpretation)

And sneezes: if not a cold, it's most likely to have been an invisible cloud of allergenic dust. Tops of doors are good for this, especially internal cupboard doors. And also curtain pelmets, lamp shades, seat backs. Even in the cleanest of houses, there's a veritable pea-soup of sneezerifirous airborne pariculate, just waiting for the chance to invade your passages. Three cheers for Cilla, Sputum and Phlegm (ages since they've been in the charts, weren't they a backing group for Genesis?)

Ironically, I read it as a reference to a Bowie track from about 35 yrs ago, so not quite mainstream (although, @McAvennie will be the arbiter of that associative interpretation)

And sneezes: if not a cold, it's most likely to have been an invisible cloud of allergenic dust. Tops of doors are good for this, especially internal cupboard doors. And also curtain pelmets, lamp shades, seat backs. Even in the cleanest of houses, there's a veritable pea-soup of sneezerifirous airborne pariculate, just waiting for the chance to invade your passages. Three cheers for Cilla, Sputum and Phlegm (ages since they've been in the charts, weren't they a backing group for Genesis?)

Most depressing thing there is realizing the early 80s is actually 35 years ago!

Most depressing thing there is realizing the early 80s is actually 35 years ago!
I reject your ridiculous proposition in its entirety.

Of course it wasn't 35 years ago...if it were, that would mean I'm now significantly past mid-way towards three-score-and-ten. I must've stepped into the wrong reality, excuse me whilst I become younger :eek: <goes off to regenerate>

Panic In Detroit.
Panic in Detroit (live, 1973).
Panic In Detroit (live 1974).

Panic In Detroit (rehearsal, 1976).
Panic in Detroit (live, 1976 (here’s to Dennis Davis)).
Panic In Detroit (remake, 1979).
Panic In Detroit (live, 1990)
Panic In Detroit (live 1997).
Panic in Detroit (live, 2004).

In July 1972 Jerry Rubin and Abbie Hoffman came to Miami for the Democratic National Convention, and whenever they went out on the street, a mob of policemen followed them. Rubin and Hoffman expected nothing less: at the 1968 convention, the Chicago police had made a sport of clubbing and gassing protesters outside the convention hall. This time, however, there was a rumor that a camera crew funded by Warner Bros. would be making a film of the Yippies’ adventures, so the police mainly just wanted to get into the movies. Each one hoped to be the cop on screen bashing Abbie Hoffman’s head in with a club. There was no movie crew, so it was a peaceful convention.

The leading man of “Panic In Detroit” is a fading revolutionary/sex symbol whose last act is suicide, though he graciously leaves behind a last autograph. Inspired by Iggy Pop’s stories of the 1967 Detroit riots and the rise of the White Panther Party, the song’s last main ingredient was Bowie’s encounter at his Carnegie Hall show with a former classmate from Bromley Tech. This nondescript middle-class British kid had become a drug dealer operating out of South America; he’d flown his private plane to the show. ...

https://bowiesongs.wordpress.com/2016/03/23/reissues-panic-in-detroit/

I found out recently that the 4th plinth only has temporary exhibits as it's reserved for a permanent statue of the Queen.

As in...afterwards.

Not sure if we already mentioned this but a favourite film of mine is Christiane F. which Bowie featured in and composed some of the music for, it's a great film. It's based on the real life story of 13/14yo heroin addict Christiane Felscherinow in late 70s Berlin, gritty, accurate and recommended!

Bowie's only in it for about a minute at the concert scene, though. He's Just a Gigolo from the same time a lot more, but that's a far less cool West German film (!)

Fine sentiments. Oldman said what I would've. Bowie was a huge pisstaker and his sense of humour bursts through even his darkest art.
"piss on the icon monsters"
"Never go shopping unless the shop is open"

I haven't had chance to check yet, been in Dublin! Sat at the airport now (with a Cute Hoor) but I'll have a look when I'm home.

Bowie's first film appearance from 1967. Kind of Hammer Horror-ish, in which he plays a painting come to life. Soundtrack but no dialogue.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Longtime David Bowie collaborator Tony Visconti, who worked with the late musician on such notable albums as 1969’s David Bowie (Space Oddity) and Bowie’s final record ★ (Blackstar) which came out days before his death, has confirmed unreleased material from the legendary artist was recorded before he passed away on January 10 at age 69. The producer told the Evening Standard he expects the unheard songs will be released to the public sometime in the near future.

Visconti told the Standard Bowie had recorded five new tracks as part of what would have been the follow-up to ★. While the producer has yet to hear any of the new songs, he has been in contact with Bowie’s management team regarding possibly issuing the recordings – which he may have to help track down. According to Visconti:

I haven’t heard those songs yet. I might actually have to help his managerial company to find them. I have an idea where he might have recorded them, but there is also a lot of unreleased material from many albums.

I think it’s logical that over the next few years, you’re going to hear a lot of stuff that you haven’t heard before. I’m in talks with his management and his label — there’s going to be some great Bowie stuff coming out.

http://www.jambase.com/article/tony-visconti-working-release-new-david-bowie-music

http://www.abc.net.au/radionational.../david-bowie-and-his-mystic-rebellion/7577584

David Bowie and his mystic rebellion
Friday 8 July 2016 11:28AM
Image: David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust tour, London 1973 (Gijsbert Hanekroot/Redferns-Getty Images)
Six months after the death of David Bowie, author Peter Bebergal reveals how Bowie's eclectic spiritual life—from a lifelong interest in Buddhism to his fascination with Gnosticism, Magick, Christianity and the Kabbalah—informed his music.

Bowie's first album, the 1967 David Bowie, was a strange bit of British whimsy, a fluff piece of pure sugary pop with an obvious intent to reach top-40 recognition. Once he recast himself as cosmonaut with his second outing, Space Oddity, in 1969, Bowie began his ever-shifting transmutations, a living alchemical elixir becoming more potent and dangerous with every experiment.

Supercharged by coke, a drug known for its side effect of throat-gripping paranoia, Bowie's interest in magic could only turn ugly.

Music critics agreed that Space Oddity was unique. The opener is a song by the same name, an existential space journey in which the Major Tom finds himself untethered from both his rocket and reality, free-floating through the astral planes.

A writer for Disc and Music Echo swooned: 'I listened spellbound throughout, panting to know the outcome of poor Major Tom and his trip into the outer hemisphere.' Here was a rock song in 1969 that looked from within the starry void down onto the closing of the decade with a melancholy detachment. The song 'Memory of Free Festival' gives a generous nod to the music festivals of the 1960s, but the ultimate hope was not for the energised gathering of hippies. Salvation is otherworldly, and comes by way of 'sun machines,' interplanetary starships piloted by Venusians.

But hope was not everlasting. The imagery of forbidden fruit would underpin his next album, The Man Who Sold the World, in 1970. Something was stirring in Bowie, a kind of eerie decadence, plainly seen in the UK cover version: Bowie lounges in a dress and leather boots on silk-draped couch, the floor in front of him littered with a deck of playing cards. The songs are heavyweight, some sounding like early heavy metal, and the themes are equally menacing and explicitly sexual.

part 2 in next post

Back