• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
One of the last things my mother said to me, when she was older than I am now, was "I think we live too long..."
Like me now, she was suffering from arthritis and skin problems, and had become scornful of the abilities of the medical profession to do anything really helpful for the ills of old age.

It's a case of Grin and Bear it, and await the inevitable...

Only a politician with a privileged life, higher than average wage, publicly subsidised lifestyle of £50 breakfasts and first class travel would think it OK for the hard pressed, much lower paid worker to work until they are 67 before getting a pension. Even then there are suggestions that after that people should have to do voluntary work to qualify for their pension. sorry, I digress...

Only a politician with a privileged life, higher than average wage, publicly subsidised lifestyle...
I'm depressed enough as it is, without bringing smegging politicians into it! :mad: They're even more useless than the medical profession!

My Dad is back in hospital at the moment, with exactly the same problems as he had last year.
He's been in about 2 weeks now.
Are the doctors looking back at his case notes to find out how they fixed him up last time?
No, they're not! :banghead:
It's almost as though attempts to heal an old boy who is almost 90 are particularly half-hearted.

My Dad is back in hospital at the moment, with exactly the same problems as he had last year.
Are the doctors looking back at his case notes to find out how they fixed him up last time?
It's almost as though attempts to heal an old boy who is almost 90 are particularly half-hearted.

I'm sorry to hear that, Mytho. The situation must be extremely frustrating. I hope your dad's health improves soon. Hang in there!
:grouphug:

Get on their case.

Ask them why they aren't looking at past notes.

Threaten to report them.

I think they're gradually getting there, but they have cocked up a few times (by forgetting to give him the medication he normally takes). He is getting better.
I live almost 80 miles away from the hospital, so it's not easy for me to get over there. My Mum and sister are doing what they can to talk to the hospital staff.

Geeza. #Brexit ‏@Geezajay2013 Sep 26
This is going round the internet. Worth Retweeting over and over.

CtTcNDtWgAACxvK.jpg

Lord and Lady Heseltine on gardening: 'We shot 350 squirrels – absolutely awful things'
With his wife Anne, the former Tory minister has gone from swinging the mace in the Commons to running one of the great English gardens. But while they’re happy to discuss the recent squirrel cull, Brexit is off the agenda. ‘Are you the Guardian’s gardening correspondent?’ they ask Archie Bland suspiciously
https://www.theguardian.com/politic...heseltine-gardening-squirrels-thenford-brexit

It's curious that Heseltine has a huge bust of comrade Lenin in the garden. :D

Has anyone noted that this thread itself is so old that some of the first people to post on it may actually . . . have, um, maybe, are . . . dead of old age ?

Maybe this thread will live longer than Percy Shelley.

I noticed at one point today that I was limping a bit. I have the odd bouts of sciatica these days but there was no pain to account for my lopsided walk.

I have just found out the rather obvious reason: odd shoes! I know there is a slackerish cult of wearing trainers of contrasting colours but it's just encroaching senility in my case! :cry:

You & me both. A few months ago I managed to turn up for work in odd boots - one blue hiking boot and one Para boot.
There was no excuse, as I hadn't been wearing either pair of boots before I set off. Part of me must've wished I was going off up the 'ills or summat.

I was getting worried I was drinking too much. But today when I went to put some empty cans and bottles in the recycling bin I saw there were half a dozen or more 3 litre Frosty Jack cider bottles (7% abv?) already there! Now assuming they were all used by the same person, I should have been worried about the state of his liver, but I was in fact annoyed that they took up so much room in the bin! :mad: Many of the daft old gits here have no idea of flattening bottles or cans before dumping them. So I have to do it, to make room for my own offerings!

Perhaps it's not one person, but a Frosty Jack drinking club. If it is, they've never asked me to join! :twisted:

I was getting worried I was drinking too much. But today when I went to put some empty cans and bottles in the recycling bin I saw there were half a dozen or more 3 litre Frosty Jack cider bottles (7% abv?) already there! Now assuming they were all used by the same person, I should have been worried about the state of his liver, but I was in fact annoyed that they took up so much room in the bin! :mad: Many of the daft old gits here have no idea of flattening bottles or cans before dumping them. So I have to do it, to make room for my own offerings!

Perhaps it's not one person, but a Frosty Jack drinking club. If it is, they've never asked me to join! :twisted:
Whoever it is...definitely someone with a serious drink problem.

3 litre Frosty Jack cider

Oh dear! I have never tasted this one but it is to be seen lurking on the lower shelf of B & M, alongside Diamond White, a Gaymer's Brand.

I see that White Lightning became such a trademark for Tramp-Juice that Bulmer's reduced the strength. Then Heineken discontinued it in 2009. What a swizz!

Clearly there was a gap in the market, which Frosty Jack & Diamond White etc. have rushed to fill.

This page reveals that the production of white cider was subsidised by tax-breaks! :eek::eek::eek:

I don't think I have sampled any of these products. I bet there are tasting-notes somewhere on the web along the lines of "Bumwine" reviews.

Edit:
Reviews of Frosty Jack's here.

The explosion of cider's popularity in recent years has been attributed to an Irish brand which advocated serving it on ice. There are now endless types, all claiming to be premium products but they are basically still tramp-juice in drag.

The chav-era was not however resonsible for cider's dodgy reputation. That goes back to the 1950s, when it was brewed to much higher strengths and was the party-drink chosen by young drinkers. In those days, I don't think the strength was even noted on the label. The law stepped in and limited the top strength to 8.4%, where it remains, I think to this day. These days 7.5% is more usually seen, probably for duty reasons.

Last edited:
Went to visit one of my cousins yesterday. His wife had asked me to come around for coffee.
Since he had the work accident some years ago where his neck was broken his memory has been getting worse and an expert has advised he may lose his license.
Lately if I go to see them they seem to get into yelling matches and I have to try to suggest things to calm them down.
She complains that he doesn't talk much but it's hard to get a word in with her and if she goes to do something he chats away to me as he always has.
Apparently the expert based the assessment because when he had to draw a line between letters of the alphabet he lifted the pencil off the paper.
Apart from not remembering all the names of all the plants when we went out to look at the garden his memory seemed not too bad to me so I suggested that maybe when he had had more success with the simple card game she could give him a slightly more difficult one l till he mastered that, not like the mah-jong she wanted him to do as he had had no interest in games previously, and maybe get one of the simple puzzle books where you join the numbers to make a picture so she was going to get one.
.Apparently a neurologist is coming Tuesday( $600) so hopefully the conclusion won't be too bad and he can still drive.

The explosion of cider's popularity in recent years has been attributed to an Irish brand which advocated serving it on ice. There are now endless types, all claiming to be premium products but they are basically still tramp-juice in drag.

What you need to do, you need to buy some actual fresh all natural apple juice and leave it in your refrigerator in the very back where you can't see it, and forget about it for about a month, and then you open it and have it for breakfast. If it's spritzy, it's ready.

Went to visit one of my cousins yesterday. His wife had asked me to come around for coffee.
Since he had the work accident some years ago where his neck was broken his memory has been getting worse and an expert has advised he may lose his license.
Lately if I go to see them they seem to get into yelling matches and I have to try to suggest things to calm them down.
She complains that he doesn't talk much but it's hard to get a word in with her and if she goes to do something he chats away to me as he always has.
Apparently the expert based the assessment because when he had to draw a line between letters of the alphabet he lifted the pencil off the paper.
Apart from not remembering all the names of all the plants when we went out to look at the garden his memory seemed not too bad to me so I suggested that maybe when he had had more success with the simple card game she could give him a slightly more difficult one l till he mastered that, not like the mah-jong she wanted him to do as he had had no interest in games previously, and maybe get one of the simple puzzle books where you join the numbers to make a picture so she was going to get one.
.Apparently a neurologist is coming Tuesday( $600) so hopefully the conclusion won't be too bad and he can still drive.

Sincere wishes to your cousin for his improved health and harmony.

Back