• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Internal 'clock' makes some people age faster and die younger – regardless of lifestyle
Study could explain why even with healthy lifestyles some people die younger than others, and raises future possibility of extending the human lifespan
Hannah Devlin Science correspondent
Wednesday 28 September 2016 17.00 BST

Scientists have found the most definitive evidence yet that some people are destined to age quicker and die younger than others - regardless of their lifestyle.
The findings could explain the seemingly random and unfair way that death is sometimes dealt out, and raise the intriguing future possibility of being able to extend the natural human lifespan.

“You get people who are vegan, sleep 10 hours a day, have a low-stress job, and still end up dying young,” said Steve Horvath, a biostatistician who led the research at the University of California, Los Angeles. “We’ve shown some people have a faster innate ageing rate.”

A higher biological age, regardless of actual age, was consistently linked to an earlier death, the study found. For the 5% of the population who age fastest, this translated to a roughly 50% greater than average risk of death at any age.

Intriguingly, the biological changes linked to ageing are potentially reversible, raising the prospect of future treatments that could arrest the ageing process and extend the human lifespan.
“The great hope is that we find anti-ageing interventions that would slow your innate ageing rate,” said Horvath. “This is an important milestone to realising this dream.”

Horvath’s ageing “clock” relies on measuring a subtle chemical changes, in which methyl compounds attach or detach from the genome without altering the underlying code of our DNA.

His team previously found that methyl levels at 353 specific sites on the genome rise and fall according to a very specific pattern as we age - and that the pattern is consistent across the population. The latest study, based on an analysis of blood samples from 13,000 people, showed that some people are propelled along life’s biological tramlines much quicker than others – regardless of lifestyle.

“We see people aged 20 who are fast agers and we look at them 20 years later and they are still fast agers,” said Horvath. “The big picture here is that this is an innate process.”

The scientists found that known health indicators, such as smoking, blood pressure and weight, were still more valuable in predicting life expectancy in the 2,700 participants who had died since the study began, but that their underlying aging rate also had a significant effect.

In a fictional example, the scientists compare two 60-year-old men, Peter, whose ageing rate ranks in the top 5% and Joe, whose rate is in the slowest 5%. If both are smokers and have stressful jobs, Peter is given a 75% chance of dying in the next 10 years compared to a 46% chance for Joe.

This is not the first time that scientists have observed so-called epigenetic changes to the genome with age, but previously these were put down to wear-and-tear brought about by environmental factors, rather than indicating the ticking of an internal biological clock.

Wolf Reik, a professor of epigenetics at the University of Cambridge who was not involved in the work, said: “It now looks like you get a clock given to you when you’re young. It gets wound up and the pace it’s ticking at is dictated by this epigenetic machinery.”

“I’m sure insurance companies are already quite interested in this kind of thing,” he added.

Horvath said he has no plans to market the test, which costs around $300 per sample in his lab, but admits he has run his own blood through the analysis.

“I’m currently 48 and the test indicated I was 5 years older, which I wasn’t too pleased about,” he said, but adds that for an individual factors like blood pressure and smoking were more decisive. “My innate ageing rate is too fast to become a centenarian, but otherwise I’m not too worried about it.”

The study, published in the journal Aging, suggests that accelerated ageing rather than simply a riskier lifestyle could explain why men die younger. Even by the age of five, Horvath said, the different speeds of aging between genders was apparent and by the age of 40 a biological age gap of 1-2 years opens up. “Women always age a little bit more slowly than men,” he said. “It’s not lifestyle it’s this innate ageing process that favours women.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science...icker-and-die-younger-regardless-of-lifestyle

Well, I reached 71 yesterday, so that's the biblical three score years and ten knocked off. I get the impression from the Obituaries columns that this must be the mean age of death for men - some die much younger, some last into their 80s or 90s...

There is a thread on Epigenetics:

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/epigenetics-ooh-la-la-lamarck.24019/

Last edited:
Internal 'clock' makes some people age faster and die younger – regardless of lifestyle
Study could explain why even with healthy lifestyles some people die younger than others, and raises future possibility of extending the human lifespan
Hannah Devlin Science correspondent
Wednesday 28 September 2016 17.00 BST

Scientists have found the most definitive evidence yet that some people are destined to age quicker and die younger than others - regardless of their lifestyle.
The findings could explain the seemingly random and unfair way that death is sometimes dealt out, and raise the intriguing future possibility of being able to extend the natural human lifespan.

“You get people who are vegan, sleep 10 hours a day, have a low-stress job, and still end up dying young,” said Steve Horvath, a biostatistician who led the research at the University of California, Los Angeles. “We’ve shown some people have a faster innate ageing rate.”

A higher biological age, regardless of actual age, was consistently linked to an earlier death, the study found. For the 5% of the population who age fastest, this translated to a roughly 50% greater than average risk of death at any age.

Intriguingly, the biological changes linked to ageing are potentially reversible, raising the prospect of future treatments that could arrest the ageing process and extend the human lifespan.
“The great hope is that we find anti-ageing interventions that would slow your innate ageing rate,” said Horvath. “This is an important milestone to realising this dream.”

Horvath’s ageing “clock” relies on measuring a subtle chemical changes, in which methyl compounds attach or detach from the genome without altering the underlying code of our DNA.

His team previously found that methyl levels at 353 specific sites on the genome rise and fall according to a very specific pattern as we age - and that the pattern is consistent across the population. The latest study, based on an analysis of blood samples from 13,000 people, showed that some people are propelled along life’s biological tramlines much quicker than others – regardless of lifestyle.

“We see people aged 20 who are fast agers and we look at them 20 years later and they are still fast agers,” said Horvath. “The big picture here is that this is an innate process.”

The scientists found that known health indicators, such as smoking, blood pressure and weight, were still more valuable in predicting life expectancy in the 2,700 participants who had died since the study began, but that their underlying aging rate also had a significant effect.

In a fictional example, the scientists compare two 60-year-old men, Peter, whose ageing rate ranks in the top 5% and Joe, whose rate is in the slowest 5%. If both are smokers and have stressful jobs, Peter is given a 75% chance of dying in the next 10 years compared to a 46% chance for Joe.

This is not the first time that scientists have observed so-called epigenetic changes to the genome with age, but previously these were put down to wear-and-tear brought about by environmental factors, rather than indicating the ticking of an internal biological clock.

Wolf Reik, a professor of epigenetics at the University of Cambridge who was not involved in the work, said: “It now looks like you get a clock given to you when you’re young. It gets wound up and the pace it’s ticking at is dictated by this epigenetic machinery.”

“I’m sure insurance companies are already quite interested in this kind of thing,” he added.

Horvath said he has no plans to market the test, which costs around $300 per sample in his lab, but admits he has run his own blood through the analysis.

“I’m currently 48 and the test indicated I was 5 years older, which I wasn’t too pleased about,” he said, but adds that for an individual factors like blood pressure and smoking were more decisive. “My innate ageing rate is too fast to become a centenarian, but otherwise I’m not too worried about it.”

The study, published in the journal Aging, suggests that accelerated ageing rather than simply a riskier lifestyle could explain why men die younger. Even by the age of five, Horvath said, the different speeds of aging between genders was apparent and by the age of 40 a biological age gap of 1-2 years opens up. “Women always age a little bit more slowly than men,” he said. “It’s not lifestyle it’s this innate ageing process that favours women.”

https://www.theguardian.com/science...icker-and-die-younger-regardless-of-lifestyle

Well, I reached 71 yesterday, so that's the biblical three score years and ten knocked off. I get the impression from the Obituaries columns that this must be the mean age of death for men - some die much younger, some last into their 80s or 90s...

Happy Birthday!

No. Do tell.

If you insist... ;)

I spotted a 'bargain trolley' at Asda with a case of cider and a 5 litre keg of Hen, £10 each instead of £16.

I swooped, even though I was on my pushbike rather than in t'banger with only a rucksack to carry them away in. Ambitious.

Anyway, at the till the cashier called a supervisor over to check something. I joked that I was being ID'd, how flattering! but apparently it was because of the price reduction.

So I coughed up and then concentrated on getting my booty home in one piece.

We opened the keg right away and glugged the lot down, and very nice was too.

Something bugged me though - I didn't seem to have paid as much as I'd expected for the shopping and booze. The receipt was around somewhere and after half a keg of Hen I wasn't inclined to look for it.

When it did turn up I noticed that I'd only paid a quid, that's ONE POUND for it. It must have been accidentally mislabelled.

The cashier had noticed it and had called the supervisor over to check it, and possibly to cover herself in case it looked suspicious. All good work. I must've looked a nit.

Bargain, eh! :D

If you insist... ;)

I spotted a 'bargain trolley' at Asda with a case of cider and a 5 litre keg of Hen, £10 each instead of £16.

I swooped, even though I was on my pushbike rather than in t'banger with only a rucksack to carry them away in. Ambitious.

Anyway, at the till the cashier called a supervisor over to check something. I joked that I was being ID'd, how flattering! but apparently it was because of the price reduction.

So I coughed up and then concentrated on getting my booty home in one piece.

We opened the keg right away and glugged the lot down, and very nice was too.

Something bugged me though - I didn't seem to have paid as much as I'd expected for the shopping and booze. The receipt was around somewhere and after half a keg of Hen I wasn't inclined to look for it.

When it did turn up I noticed that I'd only paid a quid, that's ONE POUND for it. It must have been accidentally mislabelled.

The cashier had noticed it and had called the supervisor over to check it, and possibly to cover herself in case it looked suspicious. All good work. I must've looked a nit.

Bargain, eh! :D

Result!

It's the sort of thing that cheers you up. Or maybe that's the speckled hen.

The jaw-dropping life of Jan Morris: ex- soldier, ex-spy, ex-man
James Morris, born 90 years ago this weekend, lived a life of extraordinary manliness before undergoing gender reassignment in 1972

Sat, Oct 1, 2016, 06:00

It has been a good year for British nonagenarians. Having celebrated their 90th birthdays in 2016, both David Attenborough and Queen Elizabeth were celebrated with big public bashes and lashings of biographical backpatting.

All richly deserved, of course. But now there’s a new kid on the nonagenarian block, and she has led the sort of jaw-dropping life that puts most of her contemporaries, royal or otherwise, into the halfpenny place.

“People tend to be either big fans or else they’ve never heard of her,” says John O’Rourke, a Dublin-born film-maker who has produced and directed a new documentary about the travel writer Jan Morris.

“She was a hugely public figure in the 1950s, and again in the 1970s, but has been a bit more retiring in recent years.”

O’Rourke’s film, which will be screened on BBC Two next Saturday, features Morris in conversation with the travel superstar Michael Palin – who, as he prepares to knock on the door of her house in rural Wales, confesses to being more than a little nervous about meeting a writer he has admired for many years and whose work has been a major influence on his own.

Within seconds they’re chatting over a pot of tea. Is she travelling much these days, Palin asks. “Oh, I’ve got tired of taking my shoes off at airports,” comes the 89-year-old’s brisk reply.

For O’Rourke the biggest challenge in telling Morris’s story was how to fit it all into a half-hour programme. During her career as a journalist at the Timesand a teenage intelligence officer in the final years of the second World War Morris met Che Guevara, Kim Philby and Dwight D Eisenhower. She visited Hiroshima after the nuclear apocalypse. She reported on the trial of Adolf Eichmann in Jerusalem and climbed Everest with Edmund Hillary and Tenzing Norgay. ...

http://www.irishtimes.com/culture/b...jan-morris-ex-soldier-ex-spy-ex-man-1.2810585

Joan Bakewell: I wasn’t insulted by the ‘thinking man’s crumpet’ label
The broadcaster, 83, on the swinging 60s, the 10 comandments and hanging out with Harold Pinter
Joanne O'Connor
Saturday 8 October 2016 14.00 BST

The war shaped me. I’m still very thrifty – I save string and elastic bands – and I’m hugely patriotic, although not in a Ukip way. It made me realise that you can’t hang around. You’ve got to get as much satisfaction out of life as you can because you might be bombed tomorrow.

Cambridge was the life-changer. I moved from small-scale suburban life and a grammar school in Stockport where I’d been top dog to this fairytale place of rivers and trees and punting, where everyone was brighter than me. I was out of my depth and swimming like mad, but I found it thrilling.

By the time the swinging 60s arrived I was married and had a toddler, but I was working on Late Night Line-Up, so I had access to all this giddiness which was pretty exciting.

In the 60s there was a great sense that it was our turn now and we were going to set the rules. We believed in friendship, in sex, in music, in colour, and we believed in the absence of hypocrisy.

I wasn’t insulted by the ‘thinking man’s crumpet’ label. The feminists felt that I’d sold out by not being outraged. They wanted me to denounce Frank Muir [who coined the phrase], but it would have been like hitting a jelly. He’s such a sweetheart, he would have dissolved in shame.

To be with Harold Pinter was to enjoy yourself. He was very witty, he was a great raconteur and he knew a great deal of poetry off by heart and would recite it. We remained friends throughout his life and he would occasionally say, “We did have fun, didn’t we Joan?” And yes we did.

I’ve never had any regrets, because they just lumber you with guilt. There are lots of things that I’m sad about, but I think it’s possible to forgive yourself for mistakes you’ve made. Life’s for living, not for regretting.

I agree with most of the 10 commandments, but I don’t believe in the supernatural.

Jeremy Vine and I once wrote a sitcom about the church, but it never got made because Richard Curtis got there before us with The Vicar of Dibley. :p

Every time you see a picture of the House of Lords we’re always wearing those damn robes with the ermine collars, but we only wear them once a year. You have to hire them from a special shop. One time they ran out so I got one from a theatrical costumiers. Nobody knew it was a fake.

I don’t want my life to come to an end. I want to make the most of it and I want to have as much of it as possible. That’s why I feel so thankful to still be working. It’s the thing I recommend to people as they get older. Have a project. Don’t spend your time looking back.

I’ve always liked to be causing a bit of a stir. I like making people question their own values. I quite like having mine shaken up, too.

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeand...ch-i-know-thinking-mans-crumpet-not-insulting

My mother was pregnant with me when she saw the Beatles play at the Cow Palace in SanFrancisco, so, in every practical sense, I was there, too. In many ways, my life peaked before I was born.

I was at my first demo when my mother was pregnant with me.

Joan Bakewell: I wasn’t insulted by the ‘thinking man’s crumpet’ label
The broadcaster, 83, on the swinging 60s, the 10 comandments and hanging out with Harold Pinter

Always liked Joan Bakewell, I like her perspective on things thanks to her thinking stuff through and I suppose her extensive experience now.

In other news, I was saddened to hear one of the world's oldest DJs, Desmond Carrington, is hanging up his headphones at the age of 90 because of increasing ill health. His career on the airwaves has lasted seventy years (!). Is that a record? Last show at the end of this month.

I was saddened to hear one of the world's oldest DJs, Desmond Carrington, is hanging up his headphones at the age of 90 because of increasing ill health.
That's sad to hear. He was sounding incredibly frail when I last heard him, a few weeks ago. But he's still got what it takes....

In mitigation for his years, I should just point-out that he actually now comperes his shows remotely, from home (in the foothills of Clackmananshire, or some such) rather than flying down to London.

That's sad to hear. He was sounding incredibly frail when I last heard him, a few weeks ago. But he's still got what it takes....

In mitigation for his years, I should just point-out that he actually now comperes his shows remotely, from home (in the foothills of Clackmananshire, or some such) rather than flying down to London.

The late John Peel used to travel to London each week to present his radio show live. He had diabetes and the commuting was stressful.

He believed the continued effort was too much for him and asked to be able to present remotely but was turned down, and eventually died of a heart attack while on holiday in Peru. (Altitude sickness caused by 'thin air' may have been a contributory factor. Peru is not an ideal holiday destination for diabetics.)

Peel might still be here if he'd been able to change his work routine, and maybe stayed away from Peru.

Mullion couple James and Joan Brent share secret of 70 years of marriage as they mark anniversary
By WBGraeme | Posted: October 10, 2016

A couple who are celebrating the 70 of marriage have shared the secret of their long-lasting union. Britain was still recovering and rebuilding after the Second World War when James and Joan Brent tied the knot.

Mr Brent, then aged 21, had served on a Royal Navy destroyer during the war and it was after he returned home that he began courting 18-year-old Joan. The couple, who live in Mullion, were married on October 12, 1946 and this week is a celebration of their platinum wedding anniversary.

Their daughter Lynda Laing said: "Their marriage was the start of a long life together. They went on to have three children, six grandchildren and eight great grandchildren. As with so many families nowadays, their friends and relations are living near and far. So, we will be holding a few family gatherings during this month."

When asked what they regarded as a good recipe for marriage, Mr Brent, aged 92, said: "I think friendship and a shared sense of humour." He added that sharing a hobby had given them a great joint social life. The couple were keen green-lawn bowlers for more than 35 years.

Mrs Brent, 89, added that with age comes a little wisdom, and one good lesson had been not to fall out. "It's a waste of precious life," she added.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/mullion...-of-marriage/story-29794394-detail/story.html

Mullion couple James and Joan Brent share secret of 70 years of marriage as they mark anniversary
By WBGraeme | Posted: October 10, 2016

A couple who are celebrating the 70 of marriage have shared the secret of their long-lasting union. Britain was still recovering and rebuilding after the Second World War when James and Joan Brent tied the knot.

Mr Brent, then aged 21, had served on a Royal Navy destroyer during the war and it was after he returned home that he began courting 18-year-old Joan. The couple, who live in Mullion, were married on October 12, 1946 and this week is a celebration of their platinum wedding anniversary.

Their daughter Lynda Laing said: "Their marriage was the start of a long life together. They went on to have three children, six grandchildren and eight great grandchildren. As with so many families nowadays, their friends and relations are living near and far. So, we will be holding a few family gatherings during this month."

When asked what they regarded as a good recipe for marriage, Mr Brent, aged 92, said: "I think friendship and a shared sense of humour." He added that sharing a hobby had given them a great joint social life. The couple were keen green-lawn bowlers for more than 35 years.

Mrs Brent, 89, added that with age comes a little wisdom, and one good lesson had been not to fall out. "It's a waste of precious life," she added.

http://www.westbriton.co.uk/mullion...-of-marriage/story-29794394-detail/story.html
I used to care for a 92 year old couple, he was an ex Lancaster Bomber tail gunner although sadly he didn't have the capacity to be able to tell me any stories. They obviously still loved each other to bits, something else that was cool about him was that he had one of those calcium 'horns' growing out of the top of his head a good 2" long. Obviously I wasn't going to take a picture of it although I would have loved to. She was good fun and he was always smiley.

Desmond Carrington's health:

"Desmond is retiring due to ill health, having battled cancer and Alzheimer’s disease for several years. He suffered a second heart failure on Christmas Day 2015 and was operated on within two hours. He was back behind the microphone just 10 days later with neither Radio 2 management nor his audience aware of what had happened.

Desmond said: “I’m eternally grateful to the superb doctors and nurses of the Scottish NHS for saving my life.” "

He's quite a guy, is Desmond, a real old school gentleman broadcaster. I've been listening to his shows for ages now, and the radio won't be the same without him. Same went for his good pal David Jacobs when he went. Now I suppose Brian Matthew will be the oldest DJ in national radio?

How long do we really want to live?
Nick Triggle Health correspondent

Ask people how long they want to live, and many will answer: "As long as I have my health."
But just how old is that? News last week that the limit on human life may be 115 has prompted a great deal of speculation about rising life expectancies.

People born today can expect to live almost twice as long as their counterparts in Victorian times.
There are a combination of reasons for this - better diet, safety and medical progress, which has meant people are less likely to die from infectious diseases, strokes and heart attacks.

But the consequence has been that people are increasingly spending their later years struggling with chronic illnesses such as dementia and diabetes.

The result is a surge in interest over what is called healthy life expectancy - a measure of how many years of good health a person can expect.

Currently in England the figure is just over 63 years for males born between 2012 and 2014 and 64 for females.
That compares with an overall life expectancy of just shy of 80 and over 83 respectively.
It means for a fifth of our lives we can expect to be struggling with ill health.

But depending on your background, there is a huge variation in when this period of ill health starts and how long it lasts.
For example, males in Wokingham can expect to live over 70 years in good health, while their counterparts in Blackpool only get to the age of 55.

For females, the difference is even greater.
In Richmond upon Thames they can expect to reach 72 - but in Manchester good health ends before the age of 55.

etc...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-37568662

Yeah, tell me about it... :(

This is very interesting. It's no good living longer if you're not healthy.

I'm a northern lass of 58 who can't retire until I'm 66. (Hence no more voluntary work - it's every man for himself!)
Looking at the above post, I can expect to begin suffering poor health before I start to draw my pension.

How depressing. :(

However, as a trained statistician I take comfort in the facts that a. the ages quoted are averages, so I can hope to do better, and b. I'm generally careful of my health - no smoking, minimal drinking, sensible eating and plenty of exercise.

Back