• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
Tearful Padstow barman Ronnie Webster reunited with three long lost brothers after 60 years
By wbchris | Posted: December 08, 2016

Four brothers who went their separate ways after being sent to different orphanages as young boys have been reunited after 60 years apart.
The Morris brothers - Ronnie, a former barman from Padstow, Keith, Dave and Derek - met for the first time in six decades during an emotional reunion at Plymouth Argyle's Home Park yesterday (Wednesday).

The brothers, who began life in North Prospect, Plymouth, with their parents and two sisters, Pauline and Patricia, travelled from far and wide to be there for the special moment, which they'd awaited most of their lives.
Dave travelled from Newcastle, Ronnie, who changed his surname to Webster later in life, from Padstow, Derek from London and Keith from just down the road in Plymouth.
They chose the football ground in Plymouth as the place for their special reunion as it held fond childhood memories for them and brought tears to their eyes.
Home Park is especially significant to three of the men as they played in a band there during half time in the 1950s while they were still living together in an orphanage in Brixham until their early teens.
"About 1956/57 we had to play other venues like this at half time and they would put out sheets and people would throw pennies in and all the money would go to the boys' home," the eldest brother, Dave, reminisced.

The brothers called the British Seamen's Orphanage in Brixham their home for nearly 12 years.
They never found out exactly why they were separated, but Ronnie, 65, said their father was away at sea a lot with the Merchant Navy and their mother was left alone with six children to bring up.
"All of a sudden we were over in Brixham and we didn't know why - whether our mother couldn't manage or things were a bit tight," added Dave.

While their mother was alive, the boys would still visit the family home "three weeks here and three weeks there over the summer holidays".
But the visits stopped after their mother died at the age of just 37.

"We didn't know why we couldn't come home," said Dave. "We were pushed from pillar to post really."
After more than 10 years at the orphanage, each boy was fostered into a separate family, losing contact with one another.

Dave, 68, found the reunion yesterday especially emotional after trying to find his brothers for many years. After having had little luck finding his siblings, he was thankful to the Salvation Army for finding Keith 34 years previously in the Shetland Islands.
15 years later, Ronnie was found by the charity and the pair met up in Ronnie's hometown of Padstow. Ronnie, who was a head barman at a hotel in the town for many years, proved difficult to find initially due to having changed his name to that of his foster parents.

Sadly the foursome lost contact again, the reason for which Dave said was simple: "While women keep addresses, men don't seem to keep addresses."
Derek and Ronnie had not seen each other for 60 years until the reunion - and the pair who look the most alike, Keith and Derek, saw each other for the first time in 40 years.

Unsurprisingly, Derek and Ronnie didn't recognise each other after nearly half a century apart when Derek, 67, arrived at Keith's front door in Plymouth.

etc...

Read more at http://www.cornwalllive.com/tearful...9968358-detail/story.html#Qa3Zk5wTeo7g03Yu.99

http://www.cornwalllive.com/tearful...ter-60-years/story-29968358-detail/story.html

Last edited:
OMG! The Grim Reaper has taken another step closer...

Earlier tonight I fell over and couldn't get back up on my feet. Eventually, for the first time, I pulled the cord for the emergency help line. They sent an ambulance, and the two crew eventually got me back on my feet and checked me over. Luckily they didn't want to take me off to hospital.

The sort of thing that gives one furiously to think... :(

... Earlier tonight I fell over and couldn't get back up on my feet. Eventually, for the first time, I pulled the cord for the emergency help line. They sent an ambulance, and the two crew eventually got me back on my feet and checked me over. Luckily they didn't want to take me off to hospital. ...

Sorry to hear about the fall, Rynner, but glad there was no need for assistance / intervention beyond getting you on your feet again. Unless there are symptoms or aftereffects justifying concern, don't dwell on this one 'whoopsie'.

Earlier tonight I fell over and couldn't get back up on my feet. Eventually, for the first time, I pulled the cord for the emergency help line. They sent an ambulance, and the two crew eventually got me back on my feet and checked me over. Luckily they didn't want to take me off to hospital.

Did they use one of those inflatable things ? .. they're supposed to but not all paramedics do ..

Sorry to hear that mate but really glad you asked for assistance.

Don't beat yourself up about it tho, just one one of those things.

Glad to hear you are uninjured.
Just as well you could reach the cord. Have you got one of those wearable panic buttons?

I do have a pendant button, yes. Now I'm going to have to think about wearing it...

Wear it! Glad you're ok. Get the floors fixed though even if there is a temporary inconvenience. May not have been responsible for the fall but its not good for your mood to have the place disintegrating around you.

Stop drinking cider for breakfast.

Stop drinking cider for breakfast.
I almost never touch alcohol before evening. (But as I haven't been sleeping well, I'm liable to nod off in the day.)
Last night I must have stayed up later than normal, fallen asleep in front of the 'pooter, and then fallen off the chair.

I'm still suffering today with minor aches and pains from when I struggled to get up. The arthritis in my knees makes it hard to get my legs in a position to get myself up in that sort of situation. It was possibly the closest I've been to death since I was a teenager with a motor-bike... :(

I almost never touch alcohol before evening. (But as I haven't been sleeping well, I'm liable to nod off in the day.)
Last night I must have stayed up later than normal, fallen asleep in front of the 'pooter, and then fallen off the chair.

I'm still suffering today with minor aches and pains from when I struggled to get up. The arthritis in my knees makes it hard to get my legs in a position to get myself up in that sort of situation. It was possibly the closest I've been to death since I was a teenager with a motor-bike... :(

Get yourself an indoor walking frame, one of those with wheels and a little table. You can use it at home when you feel doddery. I picked one up for my old dear for less than a fiver from a Brummie car boot sale!

Get yourself an indoor walking frame, one of those with wheels and a little table. You can use it at home when you feel doddery. I picked one up for my old dear for less than a fiver from a Brummie car boot sale!
Yes, and perhaps if I'd been wearing a jet pack at the time I could have used that to get to my feet!! (But knowing my luck I'd have driven my head right through the ceiling into to the flat upstairs, and burned the flats down for good measure! :eek: )

This image keeps me awake at night. For all sorts of reasons.

rachel-riley-on-countdown.png

Toss up between here and Whinge......

just got back from town to do the last of the Xmas shopping. And discovered it was the annual Santa Dash with half the streets closed and seemingly random knots of Santas charging around corners etc. Sensory overload!

there were 12 of the buggers on the bus on the way in :(

half the streets closed

I was up in Heywood a couple of weeks ago and found the road ahead blocked by police. It looked like a crime-scene. I took a detour and discovered the town was pedestrianised for a singularly joyless street carnival. It consisted of a lot of stilt-walkers shifting about to prevent their nads or tits freezing. Some stalls had been set up, mainly, so far as I could see, by the charity-shops, to make sure their staff were wrenched out of their usual over-heated caves of tat.

There had been a parade of six face-painted children. A mini-bus of kids in wheelchairs had probably had the date ringed in red for weeks as the highlight of the season.

For this, the road was closed till after dark. Essentially, Heywood is a one-road town! :rofl:

Amazing. The power/control/presence...

Strange...does he do something slightly-odd at 1:59, after breaking the 'left' cinder-block, he seem to maybe kick the guy holding it, I'm not sure....?

Back