• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Ageing & Growing Old

Are you growing older?

• Yes, I am

Votes: 82 61.7%
  • No, I'm getting younger

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Sorry, I don't understand the question

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • I'm a Mod; I think adding silly polls to chat threads is pointless

Votes: 7 5.3%

• Total voters
An 89-year-old Canadian has made headlines for digging his own grave.

"I love digging," Jimmy Kickham, from Prince Edward Island, told CBC News, saying he feels pride in his personal project.

Mr Kickham, who owns a construction business, has been digging graves and trenches for more than 60 years.

"One day I just thought I'd do my own if I lived to be 90," Mr Kichkam explained. He is in good health but turns 90 on Thursday.

"I love digging. Just one of those things that gets into your system. It's just work. Money. No matter what they wanted dug, I could do it," he told the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-37993845?ocid=socialflow_twitter

12139904_722220521256246_1095895491_n.jpg

Strangeness. I posted the above image and it wasn't there so I posted it again and now it's there.

after his father died young my Father treated him like a son so he was almost like a big brother.

so hard for you and him and your family :grouphug:

Went to visit one of my cousins yesterday. His wife had asked me to come around for coffee.
Since he had the work accident some years ago where his neck was broken his memory has been getting worse and an expert has advised he may lose his license.
Lately if I go to see them they seem to get into yelling matches and I have to try to suggest things to calm them down.
She complains that he doesn't talk much but it's hard to get a word in with her and if she goes to do something he chats away to me as he always has.
Apparently the expert based the assessment because when he had to draw a line between letters of the alphabet he lifted the pencil off the paper.
Apart from not remembering all the names of all the plants when we went out to look at the garden his memory seemed not too bad to me so I suggested that maybe when he had had more success with the simple card game she could give him a slightly more difficult one l till he mastered that, not like the mah-jong she wanted him to do as he had had no interest in games previously, and maybe get one of the simple puzzle books where you join the numbers to make a picture so she was going to get one.
.Apparently a neurologist is coming Tuesday( $600) so hopefully the conclusion won't be too bad and he can still drive.

G'day Iris, since I've been on statins for cholesterol reduction, my memory is up the put - I 'lose' words, and my memories are getting thinner.

Has your cousin been prescribed statins?

Actually that is a common symptom for cholesterol lowering medication. Another is...high blood pressure and impotence.People are hospitalized for complications of too-low cholesterol just as much as heart attacks.

Blood pressure is fine K, as for impotence, being a single fella, it's unemployed at the moment.

I just brought it up as those are the 3 most commonly prescribed medications. Just be careful you don't get caught up in the Pill Cycle. Take this for that illness,and this medicine for what that pill causes, etc. And I hope your...buddy comes out of retirement.

I left a message this morning as I wanted to find out how he went with the assessment,but so far haven't had a reply .They are probably down in Mornington taking grandkids to and from school.
I'm not sure if he's on statins but he has had heart problems on and off.
At one stage I was prescribed statins but they affected me badly after just 2 tablets- I couldn't walk straight so I stopped them and went back to the doctor so now only take blood pressure tablets.

I just brought it up as those are the 3 most commonly prescribed medications. Just be careful you don't get caught up in the Pill Cycle. Take this for that illness,and this medicine for what that pill causes, etc. And I hope your...buddy comes out of retirement.

interesting K - I'm on all three [by-pass two years ago, cholesterol 7.8, BP was 120 over 80]. I reckon though, when you eat a can of beans, you don't know which one makes you fart - If you get my drift...

Well it is up to you how you feel about it but I recommend every person do research on the medicines that their doctor prescribes them. It is important that you trust your doctor, but people need to be aware that there is a very serious problem of prescription drugs in the world. And never 'ask your doctor' about a medicine because that is the drug company telling you to do that.
Sorry ranting and raving over I promise. Just do your due research about your health.

Well it is up to you how you feel about it but I recommend every person do research on the medicines that their doctor prescribes them. It is important that you trust your doctor, but people need to be aware that there is a very serious problem of prescription drugs in the world. And never 'ask your doctor' about a medicine because that is the drug company telling you to do that.
Sorry ranting and raving over I promise. Just do your due research about your health.

Thanks Mum :p

Conventional medicine of course only seeks to treat the symptom, never cure the problem. So a medicine that lowers (a) may easily raise (b) up or downstream creating other problems. If your body is overproducing cholesterol, it is probably doing it for a reason but we never seem to ask that question. o_O No money in it I suppose.

That'd certainly explain past life recall by little kids. Speaking of that grumpy baby picture, has anyone else seen those incredibly disturbing Reborn babydolls? My daughter loves playing with dolls, but those look like dead babies and I'm glad she's creeped out by them. I bring this up here because toys are getting weirder or I'm just getting old.

I learned today that a neighbour on my corridor passed away last night. I hardly ever saw him, as he didn't get out much (he had to use two crutches to get around), so we'd hardly spoken. He had a carer come in now and again. It's a lottery living here - who will be next? It's now about a year now since a friend I did talk to regularly also passed away.

Ho hum. Anyhow, RIP, Scott.

I learned today that a neighbour on my corridor passed away last night. I hardly ever saw him, as he didn't get out much (he had to use two crutches to get around), so we'd hardly spoken. He had a carer come in now and again. It's a lottery living here - who will be next? It's now about a year now since a friend I did talk to regularly also passed away.

Ho hum. Anyhow, RIP, Scott.

May Scott Rest In Peace.

I hope you're around for a lot longer to carp & grumble.

My Grandma always said too much vinegar would 'thin my blood' or something like that.

Isn't that a good thing? Garlic is recommended because it thins the blood.

certainly one form is - but there are various reasons for getting it. Side effect of other drugs for example. And women can be bleeders too!

Back