• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.
Don't Stop Believing is rivalling Eye of the Tiger for its top spot of massively overplayed American rawk anthems.

One of our cats has been ill. She seems to have swallowed a bit of dead bird or mouse and scratched and scarred her oesophagus so that all her food kept coming back up. She's OK now - touch wood! - after some eye-wateringly expensive surgery and treatment.

Soon after we had her back from the vet I ate some roasted greens for tea and swallowed a crispy piece and guess what, I scratched my oesophagus. Quite painful.

Just like the cat, although so far I haven't chucked up any Whiskas and then immediately re-eaten it.

Last edited:
One of our cats has been ill. She seems to have swallowed a bit of dead bird or mouse and scratched and scarred her oesophagus so that all her food kept coming back up. She's OK now - touch wood! - after some eye-wateringly expensive surgery and treatment.

Soon after we had her back from the vet I ate some roasted greens for tea and swallowed a crispy piece and guess what, I scratched my oesophagus. Quite painful.

Just like the cat, although so far I haven't chucked up any Whiskas and then immediately re-eaten it.

Well, I hope you are better and eat delicious things now, Escargot! That reminds me of last spring, when my husband and I were at my parents in France for a week and in their new house. The cat was at the Cattery, back home. On a wednesday, both my other half and me were quite sick. It didn't carried on the next day, but it was nasty. Thank god, my sister and my parents didn't have it, so it wasn't food poisoning. Once back home, we go to the cattery to pick up the cat and they told us that she was sick that same wednesday as we were, my husband and I! All of that, at about 500 miles apart!

Why, in the name of all that is holy?

Oooh they were DELICIOUS. Had them from Tesco in the cheapo fridge. Sliced sprouts with a sachet each of herby oil and Parmesan. You mix in the oil and roast them for a bit, then add the Parmesan to finish.

One or two were a bit crispy but being greedy I gulped them down anyway and scratched my silly throat. Worth it. Will make some of my own next time I'm using the oven.

Well, I hope you are better and eat delicious things now, Escargot! That reminds me of last spring, when my husband and I were at my parents in France for a week and in their new house. The cat was at the Cattery, back home. On a wednesday, both my other half and me were quite sick. It didn't carried on the next day, but it was nasty. Thank god, my sister and my parents didn't have it, so it wasn't food poisoning. Once back home, we go to the cattery to pick up the cat and they told us that she was sick that same wednesday as we were, my husband and I! All of that, at about 500 miles apart!

How weird! That cat wasn't going to suffer alone. :evil:

Here's a good one. I watched the old 50s war movie The Young Lions today on DVD, because it starts with New Year's Eve and it amuses me to watch films seasonally. Anyway, that done, I went online and looked up some Carrie Fisher obits. Then I read in one that when she was suffering psychotic delusions thanks to her mental fragility, she saw a film on TV that she thought was sending secret messages specifically to her. Which film? The Young Lions.

Mild coincidence this morning.

A few hours ago, I posted a song about the Epic of Manas from Kyrgyzstan to the What Music thread. Been meaning to post it for months.

And just now, rynner2's posted about a plane crash in Kyrgyzstan (at Manas Airport).

Edit : It looks like I posted about 90 mins after the crash, but hours before the news reached the news services.

Last edited:
#Book Coincidences

I've just finished reading Gone Girl (bit late to the party, I know), and there were two coincidences - I was watching the Tracy Ullman show and one of the characters mentioned something about someone having a sweaty nose. Phrase struck me, don't know why, just seemed an odd way to describe a nose when normally we'd say "greasy". I pick up Gone Girl to read in bed that night and someone in there is described as having a sweaty nose...

Not sure if it was before or after that, but before bed I had a go at my husband because he never changes the goddam kitty litter, and even though I had had a go at him on the Sunday for never changing the litter, he had still not changed the litter that week. Anyway, I go to bed, pick up Gone Girl, police are asking Nick what sort of arguments he had with his wife and he said they argued over who changed the "cat box" (presume American for Kitty litter) :)

But my absolute favourite book coincidences: I was reading a collection of James Bond short stories. Driving to work one morning the radio announced the next James Bond film was going to be called Quantum of Solace. Picked up the short story collection that night, next story... Quantum of Solace :):)

Took the book on a weekend trip to Paris. Read a story set in Paris. Bond eats in the restaurant I was in the night before :):):)

I'm currently playing a computer game called Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. It came out in 2010, but had a pretty limited release. I hadn't heard of it until an American friend insisted I pick it up. The plot is exactly what it says on the tin: 9 people are trapped aboard a sinking boat by a mysterious games master, and they have 9 hours to solve the puzzles to unlock the 9 doors in order to escape before they drown.

One of the major themes of the game is the theory of morphogenetic fields, basically how information can be transferred between individuals through resonance. Turns out that not only was this game set up as a sadistic experiment to prove the existence of morphogenetic fields, you (as the player) have to use them in order to unlock the game's true ending.

I've never heard of morphogenetics before playing this game, and I thought it was all pretty interesting. Then I open up this month's FT, and what do I find? A whole article dedicated to the exact same theory! Coincidences make the FT world go round I guess :p

I'm currently playing a computer game called Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors. It came out in 2010, but had a pretty limited release. I hadn't heard of it until an American friend insisted I pick it up. The plot is exactly what it says on the tin: 9 people are trapped aboard a sinking boat by a mysterious games master, and they have 9 hours to solve the puzzles to unlock the 9 doors in order to escape before they drown.

One of the major themes of the game is the theory of morphogenetic fields, basically how information can be transferred between individuals through resonance. Turns out that not only was this game set up as a sadistic experiment to prove the existence of morphogenetic fields, you (as the player) have to use them in order to unlock the game's true ending.

I've never heard of morphogenetics before playing this game, and I thought it was all pretty interesting. Then I open up this month's FT, and what do I find? A whole article dedicated to the exact same theory! Coincidences make the FT world go round I guess :p
I posted a tune by MC NINE yesterday and I seem to remember that a forum member here is called Nine (or something similar) .. it might be time to add 9 to your next lottery ticket ! ..

http://forum.forteantimes.com/index.php?threads/cannabis-is-good-for-you.9870/page-12

Last edited:
I haven't been on the site for a while, but I was reading the 'False Memories' thread when I came across the following quote;

This is so true. At its best denial happens to avoid embarrassment, at its worst it's about gaslighting

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

The link mentions film-maker Adam Curtis, a man I have never heard of today until I read an interview on the Guardian website with Charlie Brooker, then at lunchtime there was a thread about 'Hypertension' on the wsc forum, and now this evening the above link has mentioned him!

Bizarre! And all through web-sites/forums I use!

I listened to a podcast with Adam Curtis this morning, wasn't aware of him prior to tuning in!

I listened to a podcast with Adam Curtis this morning, wasn't aware of him prior to tuning in!

I have criticisms but his work is largely fantastic. Go and see - "Bitter Lake" and "The Power of Nightmares".

I was in Sainsbury's today and mum and I had splashed out on the TU clothing range. Mum had gone to the car and I was putting the stuff on the conveyor belt. As I did one of the little square size cubes caught and flew off. I thought I better pick it up so someone didn't slip on it. Wondering what to do with it I decided to put it down next to the conveyor only to find there was already as small collection of them. The weird bit is that they were all for the same size as I was leaving. We'd had a selection of sizes in our shopping though. It was just a bit strange.

Ok little one. I'm lucky enough to be going to see Colin Morgan (Merlin) in Gloria at the Hampstead theatre. I was looking at his CV and amongst various other plays he'd been in he'd been in a play at the Harold Pinter theatre with Mark Gatiss. Toddling off I go and look for a facebook page for Andrew Scott's Hamlet (which is brilliant). It currently being in the Harold Pinter the search brought up all sorts relating to that theatre including the third returned result a mate saying see was going to see that play in 2011 with Colin and Mark. I just thought it was odd considering he's been I lots of things that it was the main one I'd looked at that someone I knew had seen.

This isn't my coincidence (although it revolves around me), it's my brother's...

Being a committed Christian, he had travelled to Bethlehem square one Christmas Eve for the celebrations they apparently hold. He was standing in a crowd, next to an English girl to whom he got chatting. He asked her where she was from, she said 'Yeovil'. He replied that that was where his sister (me) was currently living, and they talked some more, to discover that she was in the same shorthand writing class as me, and, in fact, sat next to me. She hadn't mentioned going to Bethlehem to me, neither had he, so I couldn't even subliminally suggested anything to either of them.

This was some years ago now, but it still makes me think what a small place this Earth is...

This weekend I went to the London Film and Comic Con. I really wanted to meet Mark Williams (Mr Weasley, Rory's dad and father Brown). But he was a lot more popular that I had thought and the virtual queuing ticket I had was 476 and I only saw signing up to 200 before I gave up and went home.

Anyway on Tuesday we went to see a play in the park and as we were waiting they were playing various music. One was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy music. I commented to my mum how easy it would be to cosplay (dress up as) Arthur Dent. Next thing I hear is the woman next to mentioning Mark Williams to her companion and they taking out her phone and showing them pictures from the convention. Not jealous at all of course.

Also another smaller one I was looking up other comic conventions and there was one at the business design centre in London which I had noticed in passing yesterday.

This weekend I went to the London Film and Comic Con. I really wanted to meet Mark Williams (Mr Weasley, Rory's dad and father Brown). But he was a lot more popular that I had thought and the virtual queuing ticket I had was 476 and I only saw signing up to 200 before I gave up and went home.

Anyway on Tuesday we went to see a play in the park and as we were waiting they were playing various music. One was the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy music. I commented to my mum how easy it would be to cosplay (dress up as) Arthur Dent. Next thing I hear is the woman next to mentioning Mark Williams to her companion and they taking out her phone and showing them pictures from the convention. Not jealous at all of course.

Also another smaller one I was looking up other comic conventions and there was one at the business design centre in London which I had noticed in passing yesterday.

Mark Williams lives near Lewes, I can give you some locations where you can hang around to meet him if you like "wear:

Back