• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

GodHatesAmerica.com / Westboro Baptist Church

Maybe they could have him cremated and the ashes turned into an assortment of glass butt plugs. :twisted:

We can only hope his brand of hatred has died with him... iirc about 70 people in his church were related to him by either blood or marriage and I guess were fairly like minded.

I hope he's in hell, being soaked by stale, rancid beer from a relentlessly erupting volcano, surrounded by very friendly camp male strippers from an extremely efficient, productive stripper factory. :twisted:

There are rumours before his death that Fred was "excommunicated" (hey, almost makes them sound official!) by the "church" for suggesting a "kinder" approach to his ministry. So maybe he did suffer some punishment or other here in this world.

‘God hates fags’ Westboro Baptist Church’s first protest since death of founder Fred Phelps marked by perfect counter-demonstration
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 10773.html

Much debate has revolved around whether to picket the 84-year-old’s funeral – as the church has done itself to countless gay people and US servicemen
ADAM WITHNALL Author Biography Sunday 23 March 2014

The controversial Westboro Baptist Church has carried out its first demonstration since the death of its founder Fred Phelps – and was met with a quite brilliant response from counter-protesters.

Picketing a performance by the 17-year-old singer Lorde in Kansas, members of the church turned out with their usual set of signs proclaiming hate slogans – from “God hates fags” to “Thank God for dead soldiers”.

Yet on this occasion they were met by a series of counter-protests – spurred on by tweets from Lorde herself when she discovered the church would be attending.

Among the positive messages displayed was a bright yellow banner declaring: “Live your life and be awesome”.

And in reference to the death of 84-year-old pastor Phelps, protesters standing opposite Westboro members unfurled a sign which read: “Sorry for your loss”.

In pictures: Westboro Baptist Church protests and counter protests
1 of 12
Westboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestschurch 13.jpgchurch 14.jpg
Next
Westboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestsWestboro Baptist Church protests and counter protestschurch 13.jpgchurch 14.jpg
The issue of how to respond to Phelps’ death has itself been controversial – with some supporting the idea of picketing his funeral.

The church he founded has staged protests at thousands of funerals over the years, including US servicemen who Phelps claimed were killed by God as punishment for the country’s tolerance towards homosexuality.

Megan Coleman, who helped make the “sorry for your loss” banner, told KSHB Kansas: “We realized that it wasn't so much about antagonizing them, but sending out the counter message that we are here for people who need that message and need that positivity.”

She said that the counter-protests showed how the church could have a positive impact, contrary to its intentions. “It still does kind of bring everyone else together and so I think it's kind of counter-productive on that end.”

Fred Phelps, preaching here at his Westboro Baptist Church in March 2006 Fred Phelps, preaching here at his Westboro Baptist Church in March 2006
Claiming ignorance, church spokesperson and long-time member Steve Drain said of the banner: “I don’t even know what they mean by what they’re saying.”

Last week Phelps’ estranged son Nathan revealed that the pastor had been excommunicated from his own church in 2013.

Phelps's estranged son Nathan has issued a press release statement that I find moving: http://recoveringfromreligion.org/584-2/

For instance: I will mourn his passing, not for the man he was, but for the man he could have been. I deeply mourn the grief and pain felt by my family members denied their right to visit him in his final days. They deserved the right to finally have closure to decades of rejection, and that was stolen from them.

Good News (in the Biblical sense).

A new billboard with the message "God loves gays" has appeared in the town of Topeka, Kansas which is the home of the Westboro Baptist Church. Followers of the Westboro Baptist Church has become infamous for picketing against homosexuality, carrying placards with messages of intolerance. According to their website, the 9/11 terror attacks and the deaths of US soldiers in Iraq and Afghanistan are God's punishment for the country's tolerance of homosexuality.

In retaliation, a satirical Facebook page called 'God' raised over $80,000 in donations for the 'God loves gays' billboard through crowd-sourcing website Indiegogo. In a YouTube video released as part of the project, an animated depiction of God explained he loves gay people and has "had enough of the madness".

http://www.irishexaminer.com/world/god- ... 85553.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8768Z2o63U4

Nice Swifty, thanks.
Jeez they are so hate filled, it beggers belief, bet if you dig deep enough they are not so high and mighty. I am nonplussed as to how they get away inciting all this hate.

Nice Swifty, thanks.
Jeez they are so hate filled, it beggers belief, bet if you dig deep enough they are not so high and mighty. I am nonplussed as to how they get away inciting all this hate.

I know! .. screw this! ... I'm off to watch Rasta Mouse .. off topic but I don't care today

Nice Swifty, thanks.

I don't know if you wanted a literal answer to that, but it's that tricky seperation of church and state.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Separation_of_church_and_state_in_the_United_States

I imagine if they stray outside certain boundaries (obviously not the boundaries of good taste, as they violate that constantly :rolleyes: ) they could be charged with hate speech or hate crimes - I hope so, anyway. But some groups get away with a lot of nastiness by waving the religion banner. :(

Thank you
So i can scream all this hatefulness that they do and because i dont have a hate filled church to back me up i would be a bigot and be arrested etc. To me it doesnt matter if you are religious or not, you say such ghastly things you pay the price

Thank you
So i can scream all this hatefulness that they do and because i dont have a hate filled church to back me up i would be a bigot and be arrested etc. To me it doesnt matter if you are religious or not, you say such ghastly things you pay the price

Nope. Freedom of speech allows people to be hate spewing bigots, not protection under religious freedoms. If they actually made an actual threat against someone that is alive instead of bitch boy rhetoric against the dead then yes they would be arrested.

There's also the matter of slander and libel, so you can't say just anything you want about someone without the threat of being pulled up for it. Well, you could say it, but you'd have to accept the consequences. In the case of this church, that would be termed "publicity".

Three members of the Westboro Baptist Church protested the funeral of Beau Biden, the vice president’s son, on Saturday, according to USA Today.

One man was arrested for throwing coffee at the protestors, the report said.

The three members of the Topeka, Kansas-based church were seen picketing outside St. Anthony of Padua church in Wilmington, Del. where at least 1,000 people attended a service for Beau Biden. ...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/we...otests-outside-beau-bidens-funeral/ar-BBkM8r9

Not Westboro but certainly of a kind...

The daughter of evangelical pastor Billy Graham has suggested that God let 9/11 happen because he’s too upset about transgender people.

Anne Graham Lotz is the sister of Franklin Graham, the head of the Samaritan’s Purse charity which operates the annual shoebox appeal.

Speaking to right-wing radio pundit Steve Deace, the preacher suggested that God has abandoned the United States because of transgender rights.

They said: “What I see in the nation of America right now, just the chaos on every level.

“There is silliness, there is craziness, there’s the most illogical rulings. The one in North Carolina on HB2, which is to protect our children in bathrooms and locker rooms, has become something where the justice department is suing us for something that’s just common sense.

“To me it’s evidence that God has backed away.”

She went on to suggest that God let terrorists win because of the “craziness” in the US.

The preacher said: “In our nation, one of the things we pray for is that some of this craziness would settle down… [but] our nation seems to be shaking its fist in God’s face, we’re abandoning God as a nation.

“What happens then is God abandons us and backs away, he he takes his favour and blessing away from us.

Pink News

WTF. Religitards.

WTF. Religitards.

Hmm, there's no need to make up an unpleasant phrase to insult a group who it's plain for all rational people to see are doing themselves no favours with their own prejudices anyway.

Pink News

As usual, I have to wonder, do they think God didn't create transgender people, too? And what about folks who are intersex? They are always suspiciously silent on that issue.

If God is omniscient, don't they think He already knew about it the whole time? Sheesh.

As usual, I have to wonder, do they think God didn't create transgender people, too? And what about folks who are intersex? They are always suspiciously silent on that issue.

If God is omniscient, don't they think He already knew about it the whole time? Sheesh.
God hates gays, so he smites thousands of innocent not gay people!

/ eyeroll

Pink News

These people...

The American populace is doing all this terrible shit to themselves - god has nothing to do with it!

If they knew what their god and prophets have said, and knew their bible instead of cherrypicking it to suit themselves, they'd acknowledge that their god gives them a free choice to do what ever they want...

They do this shit to each other, then expect god to step in and 'make it all better'?

Maybe it was the straight people's fault for giving birth to teh gays?
No, it's because the straights have been enabling the gay people by making it legal to be gay, and illegal to round them up and kill them.

After all, when Jesus said "Love thy neighbour as thyself" he actually meant "unless they're a poof".

And then with transgender people, there's this whole thing of going against how God made them - he gave them one set of genitals, and they don't want that. (Yes, this is a massive oversimplification of transgenderism, but this is how these people think.)

Let's face it, there are people who still think that God made black people to be subservient to white people, and women to be housekeepers and baby factories. And to these people, God is a petty and vindictive God who thinks nothing of killing thousands of innocent bystanders to make a point.

I think the Westboro bunch are quite fabulous. Utterly awful. Sad, pitiful.

I wouldn't like to have such an ugly, misguided heart as them.

And to these people, God is a petty and vindictive God who thinks nothing of killing thousands of innocent bystanders to make a point.
And for those people who think like that, that's OK.

Appears to have an obsession with flaming buttholes.

Back