• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Yes, the sun seems to follow the equator, which only happens at the equinoxes. It should move North and South throughout the year, to give the summer and winter seasons.

The Moon is even worse - not only is it not always opposite the sun, its actual orbit is inclined at about 5 degrees to the Ecliptic (although I guess that's a word the Flat Earthers don't understand! :twisted:), so the moon covers an even bigger area of the sky than the sun!

The FE simplistic model doesn't explain solar eclipses either.

I humbly put forward these facts, and conclude that a FE is bollocks! :evil:

Rynner ruins the whole shebang and the Flat Earth bods slink away to work on their hilarious nonsense theory.

Also ignoring rocketry, satellites orbital mechanics and GPS etc.

Rynner refutes it thus!
[watches Rynner kicking a stone]
I've kicked a lot of stones on this MB!

A couple of years ago I had a protracted 'discussion' about certain Gravitational effects (which happens to be a specialty of mine), with someone whose name I forget, but he wouldn't accept what I was saying, despite the fact that I had all the data and physical equations to back up my case.

Well, you can take a fuckwit to water, but you can't make him think! :evil:

As I get older and more short-tempered, I tend to not bother trying, and I just call Bollocks on any fuckwittery I encounter!

Magnificent and somewhat audacious (or deluded) bollocks - but Aye!

The whole premise of a flat Earth seems to lead to the conclusion that Earth, the Sun and Moon are some huge artificial construct. Barmy.
Now go to Terry Pratchett's pre-Discworld novel "Strata", in which it turns out that....

Last edited:
If the earth is flat, what's on the other side? Are there people living on the other side? How thick is the flat earth? Would it be possible to tunnel through to the other side? Do we live on the top or the bottom?

So many questions . . .
I don't know if this is an original thought and it probably isn't, but reflecting on these issues I found myself thinking... what if the REAL explanation is that we live on a Carrotworld? We are on the relatively flat bit at the top, which because it is, like a carrot, slightly domed, leads to the understandable but incorrect conclusion that we live on a sphere. The apparent curvature would lend itself to this fallacious reasoning. Meanwhile, under our feet where we can't see, it tapers on all sides to a point an unguessable distance beneath us... and it will, at the thick end, support some sort of molten core, leading to magnetinc fields, tectonic activity, et c.

Indeed, the long tapering shape would also fit black hole theory, as though this is material sucked into a black hole somewhere else, then extruded, tapering and pinched off at one end, as you might expect from matter passed through the cosmic sphincter of a white hole. It would not significantly defy physics and cosmology...

(When you start thinking like this you just cannot stop...)

A theory with no flaws. And anyone coming up with any flaws is self-evidently part of the deluded sheeple being kept in the dark by the Conspiracy Of Usual Suspects. I wonder how quickly I could start a Movement, and get dollars (or currency of choice), flowing in my direction which will of course be selflessly used to further the Great Work...

Last edited:
If the Earth was flat, how thick would it be ?

One would have to assume it was a disc, but how thick would the disc have to be before it became a cylinder. (probably thicker than it's diameter). And what would happen if someone dug a shaft right through it ?

INT21

One would have to assume it was a disc, but how thick would the disc have to be before it became a cylinder. (probably thicker than it's diameter). And what would happen if someone dug a shaft right through it ?

INT21

Indeed. This seems to be a theory belonging to people who only understand 2D.

With this in mind, I was watching some children blowing bubbles in the park at the weekend and wondered why, if a bubble becomes a natural sphere we can walk around, it is beyond imagination that larger objects, like big balls of gas in space couldn't do the same given a few billion years or so.

It wouldn't even take long, look at what happens to liquids at the ISS.

Yeah, liquids in freefall naturally turn into globes.

What keeps the atmosphere in place on a flat earth?

I definitely do think the Flat Earth Society has infiltrated the education system...hence the incorrect spelling in the thread title.

INT21
You'd see and hear elephants.

What keeps the atmosphere in place on a flat earth?
Well... the gravitational pull extered by four (or five) cosmic elephants standing on the back of a colossal World Turtle swimming through deep space.

To blow my own trumpet here... I am an author of original fiction - well, continuation fiction - based on Terry Pratchett's Discworld. I know I'm running with his ideas and taking them in new directions and it can never be done for money... but once you get the bug, it's hard to stop. Here, Professor Ponder Stibbons is working on theories of how it all works... (the issue of how all the water stays on and exactly which Arrangements Are Made...)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/6697660/28/The-Discworld-Tarot

And here, Ponder Stibbons is part of a Discworld party making common academic cause with academics on another planet who are every bit as dysfunctional as those at Unseen University (I admit it. I like The Big Bang Theory too. How would people like Sheldon Cooper get to grips with a Flat Earth existing in reality?)

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9812307/2/The-Many-Worlds-Interpretation

...How would people like Sheldon Cooper get to grips with a Flat Earth existing in reality?)..

As he would be on it his physics would be geared to that reality.

You should be asking how Amy Farrah-Fowler would see it.

She is the only one of the cast who actually has a scientific degree.

INT21

oEPqfQ8.jpg

Back