• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

oEPqfQ8.jpg
got it. We live as a feature on an intergalactic pinball table. Periodically a deaf, dumb and blind Roger Daltrey 9or perchance an Elton John) hits the flippers, Earth is struck by one of the balls in play, and it ratchets up a few points on the counter.

This could be The Truth... now how can I start a religion, and would the estate of Ken russell launch an injunction or a copyright action...

Some areshole has spray painted "EARTH IS FLAT" in wonky letters over hundreds of road signs near me. It must have taken them hours. As if anyone is going to read it and go 'Hmm.. forget trying to drive to Inverness, that fluorescent green childish scrawl maybe has a point. I'd better check it out'

There is a cult of ignorance in the United States, and there always has been. The strain of anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that "my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge."

Isaac Asimov

Some areshole has spray painted "EARTH IS FLAT" in wonky letters over hundreds of road signs near me. It must have taken them hours. As if anyone is going to read it and go 'Hmm.. forget trying to drive to Inverness, that fluorescent green childish scrawl maybe has a point. I'd better check it out'
EARTH IS FLAT BROKE would be more accurate.

The pro wrestler AJ Styles, arguably the current king of his profession has been quietly known for his Fundy Christian views for a while. Recently on a post-show interview (normally very cosy, on-brand stuff) he got called out on being a Flat Earther.

..An idiot rapper...

Is there any other kind ?

inT21

..Thing is, would he accept the results..

If he can't accept the results from the ISS and the many satellites that are already up there, plus common sense, then No, he wouldn't.

INT21

Thing is, would he accept the results? Putting a satellite up involves a lot of people. Any of whom could be secretly working for NASA and would fake the evidence.
He's not bright enough to interpret the results.

An idiot rapper wants to send a satellite up into space, to see if the world is flat. I wish he would arrange an expedition to the edge instead.

https://www.space.com/38277-flat-earth-bob-satellite-crowdfunding-campaign.html

Apparently he thinks that you should see the horizon as a curve, not a straight line, if the Earth were round.

Ignoring 99% of proven physics for a moment (which these twerps are doing), you need only consider one thing: if the world is flat, how can it be day in one place but night in another? Does the sun have blinkers? Of course, you then naturally ask other questions - how big is the sun? The moon? How deep is the planet? Is it really turtles all the way down?

Apparently he thinks that you should see the horizon as a curve, not a straight line, if the Earth were round.
Only possible if humans were super-tall.

Not quite.

If you stand at any reasonable height above the ocean and have an unrestricted view of the horizon you can clearly see the curve.

INT21

Not quite.

If you stand at any reasonable height above the ocean and have an unrestricted view of the horizon you can clearly see the curve.

INT21
Yes, there is a curve, but a flat-earther would need a more obvious curve to convince him.

Can anyone explain just how the flat Earthers account for the fact that, although the Sun may seem to disappear to the west, it is appearing in another country to their west ?

INT21

Can anyone explain just how the flat Earthers account for the fact that, although the Sun may seem to disappear to the west, it is appearing in another country to their west ?

INT21
Logic has no effect on a belief.

Or what need a flat earth has for satellites in the first place.

Coal,

..Logic has no effect on a belief..

Amen, Brother.

.Xanatic*

Surely you can recognise a scam when it is staring you in the face ?

INT21:)

Surely, if anyone is interested in viewing the flat earth from above, they don’t need satellites which will venture into some 3D unknown, but Balloons with cameras which will prove eveything. Unless you use Gopros which make eveything look round.

I think the problem with most flat-Earthers is that they're not just stupid, they're too stupid to realise that the only other believers are also idiots. That would be a clue, if only they were bright enough to notice.

I think the problem with most flat-Earthers is that they're not just stupid, they're too stupid to realise that the only other believers are also idiots. That would be a clue, if only they were bright enough to notice.
Not only that, but many seem to revel in their ignorance. It's almost like a meme from Idiocracy.

Well it’s reached the north of England anyway.
Was in Manchester last week, popped into ladies toilets at Victoria station. Shut the cubicle door and to my delight someone had etched into the wood on the back of it: PLEASE BELIEVE ME, THE EARTH IS FLAT!

Written beneath it in smaller lettering: We can change the world if we try.

(Yes, keep trying, good luck with that)

Made my day to be honest.

This is what happens when you have a massive Gerrymander set up. You get Open Carry laws, Trump elected, and the Flat Earth Christian Fundamentalists running education.

So long American Exceptionalism. Your cultural hegemony is gonna die along with your scientific edge.

American basketball star and celebrity Flat Earth truther Kyrie Irving has doubled down on his wibblings about how the Earth isn’t a globe.

The Boston Celtics player – just one of several celebs who have ‘come out’ as Flat Earthers said, ‘When I started actually doing research on my own and figuring out that there is no real picture of Earth, not one real picture of Earth – and we haven’t been back to the moon since 1961 or 1969 – it becomes like conspiracy, where you start thinking, “OK, let me question this.”’

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/06/there...ball-star-explains-why-earth-is-flat-7056655/

(Note : last Moon landing was Apollo 17 in 1972 - and there's been plenty of unmanned landers since)

American basketball star and celebrity Flat Earth truther Kyrie Irving has doubled down on his wibblings about how the Earth isn’t a globe.

The Boston Celtics player – just one of several celebs who have ‘come out’ as Flat Earthers said, ‘When I started actually doing research on my own and figuring out that there is no real picture of Earth, not one real picture of Earth – and we haven’t been back to the moon since 1961 or 1969 – it becomes like conspiracy, where you start thinking, “OK, let me question this.”’

http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/06/there...ball-star-explains-why-earth-is-flat-7056655/

(Note : last Moon landing was Apollo 17 in 1972 - and there's been plenty of unmanned landers since)
He can't even get the basic facts right.

I'd be interested to read any scientific theories, papers etc on the matter of how we view straight lines through spherical eyeballs, convex lenses and so on and if that could create a false effect of how we view the horizon from any perspective, from land or air .. could the way we look at things physically make a distant curved looking horizon look like, well, a curved horizon when it might be straight ? ... I personally believe the earth is sphere shaped so I'm just playing devils advocate here ..

I'd be interested to read any scientific theories, papers etc on the matter of how we view straight lines through spherical eyeballs, convex lenses and so on and if that could create a false effect of how we view the horizon from any perspective, from land or air .. could the way we look at things physically make a distant curved looking horizon look like, well, a curved horizon when it might be straight ? ... I personally believe the earth is sphere shaped so I'm just playing devils advocate here ..
Aren't these things that can be measured independently of our visual perception?

Back