• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Tales Of A Flat Earth

Oh come on now, I can be quite rational ;)
Heh. Once something become part of a person's belief system it becomes part of self-identity. So, any attempt to rationalise by another party is seen as an attack on the persons identity. Then they get all antsy and sh1t. Religious beliefs are an obvious example, but UFOians (believers in UFO's) and 'Nessians' are just as faith based.

I did read that the mathematical formula used to calculate straight and curved surfaces are different. Many flat earthers make the mistake of using the wrong calculations on perspective and convince themselves that the earth is flat. A firm belief will always be maintained in the face of a mass of evidence, as people on this forum know.

Heh. Once something become part of a person's belief system it becomes part of self-identity. So, any attempt to rationalise by another party is seen as an attack on the persons identity. Then they get all antsy and sh1t. Religious beliefs are an obvious example, but UFOians (believers in UFO's) and 'Nessians' are just as faith based.

Depends. My belief I know is not scientifically justifiable. I have reasons for it which I equally know are not likely to be taken seriously if explained. Doesn't change my belief (or faith, I suppose is the better word).

But nor does it upset me if other people think I'm crazy, and nor does it prevent me discussing other points of view on the subject, or discussing it with people who wish to challenge my views.

I suggest what you are discussing is a fanatic - there are a lot of them - but I see that as a sign of insecurity in their belief system rather than the reverse.

I suggest what you are discussing is a fanatic - there are a lot of them - but I see that as a sign of insecurity in their belief system rather than the reverse.
In my occasionally tidy mind I see faith and belief as separate things, in that faith is self-contained and belief insists the world does it 'their' way, but the latter could well be an insecurity as you say.

In my occasionally tidy mind I see faith and belief as separate things, in that faith is self-contained and belief insists the world does it 'their' way, but the latter could well be an insecurity as you say.

Very well put. I shall think on your distinction between faith and belief.

Hmm. Monty Python and the Holy Grail, sir Bedevere:

"And that, my liege, is how we know the earth to be banana-shaped."

"This new learning of yours never ceases to amaze me!" (King Arthur)

That sums it up quite accurately. I would suggest most people have some form of belief system, but you would probably never know what their beliefs are. On the other hand there are fanatics in every aspect of life- religion,politics, work , hobbies everything. You soon get to know their beliefs because they will turn a discussion on any subject back to their chosen position. Almost psychotic in their approach, and some are dangerous as we have found out. I have to admit I have always enjoyed taking the michael out of the fanatics I have come across in my life.

Further proof that more money (and sensible people) should be put into education and STEM subjects (Science Technology Engineering and Maths).

An illuminating quote from that article:

Hughes only recently converted to flat-Eartherism, after struggling for months to raise funds for his follow-up flight over the Mojave.

A flat-Earth GoFundMe effort subsequently raised almost $8,000 for Hughes.
Maybe this guy isn't so stupid after all.

Then again, he is planning to strap himself to a home-made rocket...

Launch date has been pushed back to next Monday, by the way.

The Economist casts a jaundiced eye on the flats.

America’s flat-Earth movement appears to be growing
Is NASA covering up the truth? No
Nov 28th 2017

20171202_WOC302.png

IT IS a stunt worthy of Evel Knievel. This week, if all goes to plan, “Mad” Mike Hughes, a Californian, will launch himself 1,800 feet (550 metres) into the sky in a homemade steam-powered rocket made of scrap metal. As well as providing entertainment, Mr Hughes wants to prove a point. On his trip over the Mojave Desert, which could propel him at speeds of up to 500 miles (800km) per hour, the 61-year-old limousine-driver-turned-daredevil hopes to prove that the Earth is flat.

Some may be surprised to learn that people still hold such views. After all, the Earth has been photographed from space. But such photos could have been faked by the evil forces who secretly control the world, right? And all those centuries of scientific evidence suggesting that the Earth is spherical could be wrong, right? In America interest in the flat-Earth movement appears to be growing. In September Bobby Ray Simmons Jr., a rapper also known as B.o.B, launched a crowd-funding campaign to send satellites into orbit to determine the Earth’s shape. On November 9th, 500 “flat-Earthers” assembled in North Carolina for the first annual Flat Earth International Conference. Data from Google Trends show that in the past two years, searches for “flat earth” have more than tripled (see chart). ...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2017/11/daily-chart-21?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/

Data from Google Trends show that in the past two years, searches for “flat earth” have more than tripled...

Perhaps a lot of this is down to people like me, incredulously searching to see who actually believes this nonsense and why.

Why is there no GoFundMe effort to get ACME painted on the side of the rocket?

There's nothing to prevent Acme from getting in on the action and sponsoring the next rocket - assuming Mad Mike bothers with the follow-up attempt, or survives at all ...

The frequency of his cancellations makes me think he's not actually trying to "prove" anything, but merely drum up attention to his cause without having to actually do anything...

And that's it. He's gone from being a flat-earth believer to a flat-earth gamer.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious most of them are just trolls. There are many stupid people around though, so of course there are True Bleevers. Mostly, though, I think it's just a lame joke.

1800 ft why doesn't he just get a micro light or walk up a small mountain.

1800 ft why doesn't he just get a micro light or walk up a small mountain.
As far as I can tell, Hughes hasn't actually claimed that this jaunt will provide any evidence for the Flat Earth; that's just the spin the media are putting on it. The reason the Flat Earthers are sponsoring him is because he says he has plans for a future spaceflight, and this is the first step towards that goal. It seems pretty clear to me that Hughes just wants to go for a ride on a rocket, and he's conned the Flat Earthers into footing the bill.

As far as I can tell, Hughes hasn't actually claimed that this jaunt will provide any evidence for the Flat Earth; that's just the spin the media are putting on it. The reason the Flat Earthers are sponsoring him is because he says he has plans for a future spaceflight, and this is the first step towards that goal. It seems pretty clear to me that Hughes just wants to go for a ride on a rocket, and he's conned the Flat Earthers into footing the bill.

My impression is along the same lines. Hughes had benefited from his prior stunt (long-jumping a limo) years ago, but now needed money. His strategy was to perform another stunt. His new steam-powered rocket stunt needed funding. He 'sold' the flat-earthers on the notion this was a preliminary flight and he'd accomplish their objectives 'next time'.

Now come on, no one in thier right mind could think the World is flat,
It as been know since the 60,s that the would is in fact square,
I offer this picture as irrefutable proof.

32wGddz.jpg

Now come on, no one in thier right mind could think the World is flat,
It as been know since the 60,s that the would is in fact square,
I offer this picture as irrefutable proof.

32wGddz.jpg
Well, they do use the term 'all four corners of the world'...

Reactions: RaM
Back