• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Dreams!

If the jargon of a half-century ago were still common, I'd have wondered if 'PAD-mates' had been mis-heard and the reference was indeed specific to those living in the same quarters.

'Padmate' means the same as 'cellmate' in British prisons.

Nice dream mothgirl. That 'tingly' feeling you mentioned is also called the 'vibrational state' it comes before, during and after an out of body experience. :)
That's neat! I hadn't heard of that before, I'll have to read up on it.

Wouldn't "podmates" refer to the other people who listen to the podcast? Are you in friendly contact with anyone else who listens? They could be a podmate.
Podcasts were my first thought as well, considering I listen to a ton of them, but at this time I wasn't in contact with anyone else who listened to these podcasts. I've since gone to a meetup, but for a true crime podcast so I'm still not sure it's related.

That's why I started thinking about my fiance and our old roommate and their weird experience. It's the only thing I cam come up with that's even kind of related.

edited to add: Something else possibly relevant is my dream happened in a different place than the gnome incident. Fiance and I moved to a new apartment a few months before my dream, probably two years or so after the gnome incident.

I had a dream last night where I witnessed a maintenance worker spilling brains after falling from a great height. Have no idea why or what it meant.

Also had a constant fear that someone was going to plough their car/other vehicle into me which felt like a form of terrorism.

Again no idea why and seem to be having very similar kinds of dreams for a while now.

Tragically prophetic.

I don't understand my moving house dream as it was done by furniture removers, so I didn't have to do anything.
Anyway, it's a recurring dream. I'm on holiday, with my ex wife and daughter who is always still a toddler. We have to pack everything away and there is always an anxiety about making the plane.
There is always way, way too much stuff that can be both packed away in time or will fit into the luggage. Somehow we do however and are queuing up for the plane and then...... I either wake up or forget what comes next.

t'other night I dreamed that I was watching a documentary about the little Princesses. Y'know, the Queen and the late Princess 'Fagash' Margaret.

In a posh voice, the narrator described how the Princesses first met by chance at public school, where they worked out that they were sisters during a conversation about What Daddy Does.

They'd been brought up in such a closeted environment, completely removed from the outside world, that each hadn't even heard of the other. :D

A couple of nights ago I dreamt Madonna was on the rampage on a beach. She was driving a kind of mechanical digger at speed through fleeing pensioners ( her fans no doubt) who were getting knock aside or scooped up. When she was eventually dislodged people were throwing things at her. Possibly they were music lovers. I was encouraging them..

Dick van dyke put in an appearance at the end for good measure.

Silly as the dream sounds on the surface it did occur to me that someone driving a vehicle at people to run them down obviously has relevance in recent times with several terrorist incidents of that ilk. So I did wonder if one involving a female attacker on a beach might happen in real life. Then again I've never accurately "predicted" a news event so I doubt i've started now.

As a terrorist incident it sounds like a combination of the truck street attacks and the Tunisia beach shootings.

Does anyone else here find that if they wake up in the middle of the night, stay up for a bit then grab a few more hours kip, you get unpleasant troubled dreams? ... I've just woken up from one and it's not the first time under these circumstances ..

Does anyone else here find that if they wake up in the middle of the night, stay up for a bit then grab a few more hours kip, you get unpleasant troubled dreams? ... I've just woken up from one and it's not the first time under these circumstances ..
Yes apparently its a fairly common problem. Happens to me consistently when I have disturbed sleep. Fair wears me out it does.

Yes apparently its a fairly common problem. Happens to me consistently when I have disturbed sleep. Fair wears me out it does.

I too have that problem. I find that 4 am is my cut-off time for some reason. If I manage to get back to sleep later than 4 am I have strange, disturbing dreams. It takes all the fun out of sleeping.

Last night's dream was very unusual...it was quite a prolonged scene about me realising I could levitate. The trick was to lie back horizontally from a standing position and I would float above the ground..the sensation and appearance was very much like when you're in the bath and using just one hand to balance yourself you can make the rest of your body float. I slowly learned to propel myself forward etc. Two scientists I had previous dealings with had died and now I was trying to get Professor Brian Cox to test me, so I could prove this was real.

Pad is derived from the French Pied a terre.

..A pied-à-terre (French pronunciation: [pjetaˈtɛʁ]; French for "foot on the ground") is a small living unit usually located in a large city some distance away from an individual's primary residence. It may be an apartment, flat, or condominium.

And people did indeed start to refer to their home away from home as their 'pad'. Now I suppose it is 'crash pad'.

So, pad-mate, Someone who shares your pad.

INT21

I had an interesting conversation tonight with a couple of artist friends. They described the various unpleasant, even violent, tricks played on them by recurring characters they identified as muses. I started to wonder which one of my recurring dream characters plays the role of my muse. It is the giant cougar/lion which tried to kill me one night? Or the cheerful and helpful couple who show up in family related dreams? Or the tall, strange man with a lavender halo? Maybe it's the grumpy, bald filmmaker? (None of them have showed up lately, so they've become bored with me?)

I would like to add that I am very distressed at the real life events in Manchester recently and London this past weekend. To all who have suffered loss of a loved one, may you find solace and strength. My heart is with you.

One aspect of these tragedies is that they invade our psyches so deeply that they intrude on our dreams.

Slept badly last night. Recall bits of a curiously vivid dream in which I was some sort of ragged bohemian character. I was dressed in furs or long, rough primitive textiles. I had long matted hair in which I could vividly feel earth and flowers.
Woke up from this dream in the early hours feeling unable to return to sleep, so thought I'd listen to the radio for a bit. Plugged in some earphones and switched on the DAB. It was BBC Radio 5 Live's Dotun Adebayo interviewing some old music producer about his memories from the 60s. The first thing I heard him say was "... in San Francisco with flowers in our hair."
That strange coincidence made my insomnia even worse!

Slept badly last night. Recall bits of a curiously vivid dream in which I was some sort of ragged bohemian character. I was dressed in furs or long, rough primitive textiles. I had long matted hair in which I could vividly feel earth and flowers.
Woke up from this dream in the early hours feeling unable to return to sleep, so thought I'd listen to the radio for a bit. Plugged in some earphones and switched on the DAB. It was BBC Radio 5 Live's Dotun Adebayo interviewing some old music producer about his memories from the 60s. The first thing I heard him say was "... in San Francisco with flowers in our hair."
That strange coincidence made my insomnia even worse!

If you'd already had the radio on while sleeping I'd have wondered if you'd heard that bit and incorporated it into your dream. However, as you were awake and switched it on and installed headphones you were obviously awake so it is indeed WELL spooky!

When Princess Diana died I was asleep with the radio on, R4/World Service as was my habit then. The announcement of her death came in the early hours and I woke up just in time to hear it, and sat bolt upright. Thought I must be dreaming so I switched the TV on and there it was. It's strange that I seemed to be waking up just as the announcer drew a big breath to speak the news.

No. The radio went on definitely after I woke from the strange dream.
I wondered if I had possibly heard an advert for the radio interview before going to sleep. Something like "and Dotun Adebeyo will be interviewing so-and-so about his memories from the hippy era". But I don't think I did. In my dream, I actually felt more like some sort of caveman than a hippy, but still can't explain the weird coincidence of flowers in my hair!

No. The radio went on definitely after I woke from the strange dream.
I wondered if I had possibly heard an advert for the radio interview before going to sleep. Something like "and Dotun Adebeyo will be interviewing so-and-so about his memories from the hippy era". But I don't think I did. In my dream, I actually felt more like some sort of caveman than a hippy, but still can't explain the weird coincidence of flowers in my hair!

My theory for these things is that it's a sort of retro-psi. Knowledge from the future drifting back to the past.

Dental Fricative -
Last night I dreamt that I was given a picture of a Dental Fricative - it looked like a small wallpaper-smoothing brush but it was coloured pink.
I'm sure I have never heard the phrase dental fricative before now and looked it up when I awoke - it's the act of saying the sound "th"
In the dream I "saw" the spelling as fricitive.

Dental Fricative -
Last night I dreamt that I was given a picture of a Dental Fricative - it looked like a small wallpaper-smoothing brush but it was coloured pink.
I'm sure I have never heard the phrase dental fricative before now and looked it up when I awoke - it's the act of saying the sound "th"
In the dream I "saw" the spelling as fricitive.

Given the brush imaging and the spelling you perceived in the (dream-) moment ... I wonder if this was a spin on 'dentifrice'.

I was an action hero, like Jean-Paul Belmondo in that South American movie he made, clambering outside a plane in flight, but then there was an explosion and the back half of the plane came off. I was able to climb inside and fly it for a bit before realising there was no way such a craft could fly so let my parachute open and jumped out. Unfortunately the 'chute didn't open properly, so I flew over to it (without the plane) and plumped it up so it looked more normal and descended to earth (though if I could fly unaided - why bother?).

On the ground, I started describing what had happened to a friend and the dream repeated, only from the perspective of watching it as a film, as we commented on how farfetched and unrealistic it appeared. Criticising my own dreams while dreaming them now! It was a lot better than my dream self thought.

t'other morning Techy and I were discussing our dreams. He'd found himself helping to turn over a car that had crashed and rescuing a woman inside it. I'd been apparently watching a woman fall between a train and the platform and trying to rescue her. I was mindful of the danger of pulling too hard on her upper body in case anything lower down fell off. :eek:

First post, please be gentle...
I recently had a dream in which I read a poem. All I remember of it is the line 'the being-wells of the spaces under the stairs', which sounds quite nice if slightly bonkers. Probably from some long-forgotten poem I read years ago. Does anyone better educated than me recognise it?

First post, please be gentle...
I recently had a dream in which I read a poem. All I remember of it is the line 'the being-wells of the spaces under the stairs', which sounds quite nice if slightly bonkers. Probably from some long-forgotten poem I read years ago. Does anyone better educated than me recognise it?

Welcome!

What did you believe the phrase 'being-wells' meant or referred to?

Probably something like wells of being, though what this means is also a bit baffling. I tried googling it without finding anything close. I had the notion of people huddling in the cupboard under the stairs during the Blitz!

Maybe it's a way of saying 'all being well' (i.e. a reassurance) that the house (specifically quoting a staircase as an example) is built in a certain way?

Maybe it's a way of saying 'all being well' (i.e. a reassurance) that the house (specifically quoting a staircase as an example) is built in a certain way?
I don't think my brain is clever enough to think like that!

Back