• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Quitters: Members Who've Left The Forum

They both went off with a case of real life and pursuit of other projects. Q drops by from time to time, but AFAIK no-one's heard from Emps in a long while.

GeorgeP has been deleted at his own request.
I never understand this request to be deleted. Unless you've done something awful, why not simply stop posting, and either come back after a break, or don't. I've gone away for months at a time, probably been a bit huffy at something someone said, but never felt the need to wipe myself from the face of the FTMB.

Does this mean that George's posts are still visible? If so, what are the practical effects of profile deletion?

I never understand this request to be deleted. Unless you've done something awful, why not simply stop posting, and either come back after a break, or don't. I've gone away for months at a time, probably been a bit huffy at something someone said, but never felt the need to wipe myself from the face of the FTMB.

Does this mean that George's posts are still visible? If so, what are the practical effects of profile deletion?

His posts are still visible, he's just listed as a guest not a member.
Edit...you can no longer search for his posts from his profile page. So far as I can tell, that is the only effect that profile deletion has from a reader's point of view.

On a different board I belong to, people ask to be removed when they are struggling to stay away but know they should - so it could be a looming deadline, getting too addicted to a place, real life taking over or some sort of internal problem. For example, autistic people who have formed an online routine/habit often struggle to break free of it, however much they want to.

Criticising or commenting negatively on someone's decisions when you don't have all the facts from their particular planet is baffling to me, but you have every right to do it.

On a different board I belong to, people ask to be removed when they are struggling to stay away but know they should - so it could be a looming deadline, getting too addicted to a place, real life taking over or some sort of internal problem.

Mmm, yup. I remember considering asking to be temporarily banned when I had a dissertation to finish. o_O

How utterly pointless!
No - I have the choice to delete all of their posts or not along with the account. A few of George's had been removed previously (for good reason), at which he seemed to take umbrage. Those that remained were inoffensive in the main, and to remove them would affect the flow of a number of threads.

Criticising or commenting negatively on someone's decisions when you don't have all the facts from their particular planet is baffling to me, but you have every right to do it.
I take your point, and the idea of asking to be banned for your own good is one I can understand. I just got the impression that George (who I always found to be engagingly daft, even if using "your" instead of "you're" did my head in occasionally!) was making a big thing of leaving. In my position, I'd probably keep it as low-key as possible.

Look, I've probably got it wrong, and no offence was intended. My "pointless" comment referred specifically to getting a Mod to go to the trouble of deleting a profile, when simply not posting any more would have the same effect.

Anyway, George, I look forward to reading your dissertation when it's done...

Mmm, yup. I remember considering asking to be temporarily banned when I had a dissertation to finish. o_O
Considered and did. Happens quite a bit - I can ban for a finite time as well as permanently (the ban will automatically lapse on an agreed date.) Just give me a couple of days notice if you want to be locked out for your own good.

Igor Popov has popped off from the classic FT Contributor thread taking most of his posts with him. The thread has lost little of it's incisive content as a result and makes no less sense now than it did before.

It is possible for me to restore them... possible...

Popov has gone, and I never bothered to even look at that thread because the title didn't grab me. Looking at it now it's hilarious, but I suspect mainly because of the responses given to Igor, not anything Igor himself said. Nevertheless, i feel I've missed out somehow. Was there ever an original article in FT written by this guy? It isn't clear.

I was born deaf.. but fortunately I can use an assistive hearing device that I hold up to people's mouths to catch what they are saying. That and lip-reading allow me to communicate with those outside the deaf/signing community. Without that device though, there's profound silence. If a truck were approaching me from behind and I didn't have that device, which is a box connected to earphones, "on", I wouldn't hear it coming. Also, fortunately, with earphones, I can hear recordings that I play on my computer... or anything for that matter e.g. YouTube etc... The earphones are plugged into my laptop. I rely on deaf relay though whenever I have to use the phone.

I offerred to assist Edwards in area of EVP of which I've been a recorder since the early 90's. I have a circle of friends who help me to interpret any recordings that I want other opinions on with regards to what they think the EVP voice is saying and this has worked very well for me over the years. I hope he comes back because only active EVP recorders are familiar with some of the things he's been going through lately.

Last edited:
Pietro has left permanently and did so prior to the last software changeover

Last edited by a moderator:
Political arguments and diagreement with moderation policy, I believe.

In short, a difficulty with hats.

Well, I never thought it would come to this, but after all the decades I've been posting here, it's no longer fun - in fact it's getting downright poisonous.

I'm referring to the heavy handed and immoderate modding that has recently been imposed on the MB, with stupid rules invented ten minutes ago for no perceivable benefit, and with random deletions of posts because of these rules.

The chief activist seems to be the Sorcerer's apprentice (who seems to have a down on me for some reason), but I fear the Sorcerer himself has taken his eye off the ball.

So farewell to all my friends here (I know I have some from the Likes I've accumulated :)), but under present conditions I won't be posting here again.

Oh, I almost forgot - we're supposed to add a comment - right...

FECK!

It's never personal, Rynner.

Fantasia+the+Sorceror+and+Mickey+Mouse.jpg

I hope you come back.

For the record, I find the conditions more than reasonable, Yithian. Happy to comply. I'm hopeful it will draw some of the lurkers in from the verge a bit more. The board needs refreshment.

Welcome one and all. Please announce yourselves and join the game.

Well, I never thought it would come to this, but after all the decades I've been posting here, it's no longer fun - in fact it's getting downright poisonous.

I'm referring to the heavy handed and immoderate modding that has recently been imposed on the MB, with stupid rules invented ten minutes ago for no perceivable benefit, and with random deletions of posts because of these rules.

The chief activist seems to be the Sorcerer's apprentice (who seems to have a down on me for some reason), but I fear the Sorcerer himself has taken his eye off the ball.

So farewell to all my friends here (I know I have some from the Likes I've accumulated :)), but under present conditions I won't be posting here again.

Oh, I almost forgot - we're supposed to add a comment - right...

FECK!

Don't go!

Back