• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Strange Things As Food & Drink

A Blog devoted entirely to tinned sardines here!

Some of the artwork on the old cans is very charming. Then there are images such as this:

aa.jpg

:fish:

This man's found a 14 year old forgotten about McDonalds burger still in its wrapping, still in the old jacket he left it in and it still looks edible with no mould on it .. he's had offers to sell it and a radio station wants to pay someone to eat it ..

The mould never stood a chance against all those chemical preservatives.

I thought it was a lack of moisture and excess salt that inhibited the mould? (I can't tell if you're serious or just casting aspersions at McDs; do continue if it's the latter :p I had a bite of a Big Mac once, didn't like it)

I thought it was a lack of moisture and excess salt that inhibited the mould? (I can't tell if you're serious or just casting aspersions at McDs; do continue if it's the latter :p I had a bite of a Big Mac once, didn't like it)
I was casting aspersions although I also class an occasional McD's as a treat .. except for the fries that go cold about 20 seconds after you're served them so I don't buy Happy Meals for that reason ... more often than that though, I'll buy two 99p burgers instead .. cheaper than a Big Mac and you get an extra bun. Perhaps it was just a lack of moisture with excess salt that mummified this burger that inhibited the mould?.

I know there's some Manchester residents here..

It's what the country has been waiting for - steak pie, chips & mushy peas in a bun. With gravy.

Some are calling the dish 'the most northern sandwich ever' invented. They're probably right. It's a pie in an English muffin, and the pie is sitting on top of chips.

On top of the pie is a layer of mushy peas. Inside the pastry is steak. Next to it all is a great jug of gravy, which looks suitably thick, and has a pleasing sheen.

The whole thing costs a staggeringly reasonable £3. In London, it would cost three times that. And the muffin would be brioche, probably. The peas would be definitely be debauched by mint.

Pie Face is the work of The New Cake and Sandwich Shop in Hyde, Greater Manchester. The place is a small café and bakery.

Café co-owner Samantha Mitchell said: "Since last year, myself and my husband Garry Mitchell decided to do a weekly and an alternative (sometimes weird) sandwich calling it 'sandwich of the week'.

"I do prefer the bizarre sandwiches and I'd heard of the Wigan kebab but decided to give it a twist – so I decided with the chips and mushy peas.

"Customers reactions have been fantastic. Obviously it's not everyone's choice... it's great to know we're doing something right ."

Pie-Sandwich-yummers.jpg

I bet they do a cheese & onion pie one for gluttonous veggies. Think I'll pop along and ask them,.

It's worth a try. A good pie these days is hard to find as Feargal Sharkey once wisely sang. The best pies I've found recently is Ministry of Pies in Margate. If you're nearby, seek it out. You won't regret it.

It's worth a try. A good pie these days is hard to find as Feargal Sharkey once wisely sang. The best pies I've found recently is Ministry of Pies in Margate. If you're nearby, seek it out. You won't regret it.
Pies found in supermarkets are almost all crap, perhaps with the exception of Pieminister and Higgidy.
I buy a lot of Higgidy pies.

Pies found in supermarkets are almost all crap, perhaps with the exception of Pieminister and Higgidy.
I buy a lot of Higgidy pies.

I've tried a few but not found any I'd go back for. Higgidy aren't bad but are they really pies? The ones I've had are kind of deep flan/quiche things. I don't know Pieminister - where do you get them?

I've tried a few but not found any I'd go back for. Higgidy aren't bad but are they really pies? The ones I've had are kind of deep flan/quiche things. I don't know Pieminister - where do you get them?
Sainsbury's. Higgidy do a lot of quiches and flans, but they also do a few pies. The only Pieminister pies they're selling now are the gluten-free ones, sadly.

$300? Wow, that's an amazing price for that.
Are you thinking what I think that you think I'm thinking Mytho ? ... we could make some 'miraculous image of Jesus found on a pancake' pancakes and sell them to the faithful ! .. each one different to the last ... we could live like KINGS .. KINGS !!

Yeah, baby! Yeah! LIKE KINGS!

Too late. This is the Internet.

Isn't it annoying when that happens?!

It happened to me a few years ago. I was making chocolates for Christmas presents and I had some left-over white chocolate and raspberry truffle mixture which I mixed with a bit of clotted cream; just to see what it would be like as my relatives live quite far away, and the chocolates would have to survive not being refrigerated for quite some time, so I couldn't put cream in the ones I was giving away.

Wow, it was so delicious, and I thought it was such a shame you couldn't use it, because you'd have to keep it chilled. Who'd want chilled chocolates? Chilled chocolates... OMG! Yes! There's your brand and USP in one!

Of course, when I did an internet search, someone had got there first, but the annoying thing was, it was only three months before I'd thought of it!

If I'd made chocolates the Christmas before, I could have been a millionaire by now *sighs*

He spends all his money on the last extant tin of anchovies, which are extinct. He puts them on a pizza to show his friends and they think it tastes disgusting.

Didn't the lobster character appreciate them though?

except for the fries that go cold about 20 seconds after you're served them

Served them? Served them? Aren't you supposed to shovel them into your gob straight from the cardboard?

Pies, eh! There's a pie factory near here. Workers can sample the product to their heart's desire before it's wrapped. As a result, at going-home time they have to leave one by one as they won't fit through the doors otherwise.

Next door there used to be a bus depot. The mechanics would fix the pie vans now and then and be rewarded with trays of fresh hot baked goods. All work would stop while the food was consumed. Happy days.

Pies, eh! There's a pie factory near here. Workers can sample the product to their heart's desire before it's wrapped. As a result, at going-home time they have to leave one by one as they won't fit through the doors otherwise.

Ah but are the pies any good? You can name names..

Ah but are the pies any good? You can name names..

I dunno as the sight of the effect on the workforce has long cured me of any lingering enthusiasm for pies.

Back