• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Worst Movie EVER?

I was going to watch Bright tomorrow too. It's in cinemas as well! Here's hoping it's epically bad and not mediocre. Netflix's Okja was one of the worst of the year, and I say that as a vegetarian.

Just watched Bright, it's pretty bad but mostly in a boring, bombastic way. Lots of shouting and gun pointing. Basically "I want you to take me very seriously" nerd rage: the movie. Don't think I'd watch a sequel.

Just watched Bright, it's pretty bad but mostly in a boring, bombastic way. Lots of shouting and gun pointing. Basically "I want you to take me very seriously" nerd rage: the movie. Don't think I'd watch a sequel.

It’s great that some people are there to watch stuff so the rest of us don’t have to.

Rotten Tomatoes sees a split down the middle of critics who are relishing hating it and the audience who seem to like it and have given it 90%

Apparently it's racist too, because the orcs are obviously stand-ins for African Americans and portrayed as ignorant and violent, and the elves are the whites who are rich, civilised and in charge. Well, there was a dodgy line about "Fairy lives don't matter"...

Also not amusing, Bright's screenwriter Max Landis seems to have sex assault allegations brewing:
https://screenrant.com/max-landis-sexual-assault-harassment-allegations/

He does seem unhinged when I see him interviewed, in a macho nerd way, but whether that's bluff and bluster or he really is a danger I don't know. Certainly Bright has that vibe about it: the villain is a woman who the film takes great delight in doling out violence against.

Also not amusing, Bright's screenwriter Max Landis seems to have sex assault allegations brewing:
https://screenrant.com/max-landis-sexual-assault-harassment-allegations/

He does seem unhinged when I see him interviewed, in a macho nerd way, but whether that's bluff and bluster or he really is a danger I don't know. Certainly Bright has that vibe about it: the villain is a woman who the film takes great delight in doling out violence against.
Until anything's proven, the only predators worth mentioning are the predators who wrote that article that have realised that if you write the word 'predator' often enough then people might be even more convinced that he's a predator if you use the description predator a lot in your article if you're speculating and/or hoping to convince people reading that he's a predator .. say the word PREDATOR often enough and it sticks ..

That's not a dig at you or your post BTW GNC but I think most people are getting weary of this melodrama that's just that until it's proven ... I mean:

Writer Lindsey Romain also tweeted saying “Lax Mandis” – an obvious codename for Landis – is a “ritual sex abuser” and that “evidence of his predatory behavior” can easily be found.

A "ritual sex abuser" ? .. does he wear animal furs as part of this 'ritual' and drink goats blood or something ? ..

Last edited:
Thundercrack! features a man having explicit sex with a gorilla (i.e. someone in a costume, not actual bestiality), I remember that much. It's also about three hours long. Three hours of camp old dark house spoofery and hardcore straight and gay sex. If that sounds up your street, knock yourself out.
Some friends of mine studied with George Kuchar and got really into his work for a while. When they came back, they held a film night with projector etc showing Thundercrack! I think everyone was a little surprised.

You know all those iconic photos of Audrey Hepburn with a deer? She got the deer while filming a project called Green Mansions, which looks stupendously bad. She (improbably) plays a South American Indian 'bird girl'/forest nymph. I don't think it's ever been released on DVD. Has anyone seen it?

Is Bright similar in concept to Alien Nation?

You know all those iconic photos of Audrey Hepburn with a deer? She got the deer while filming a project called Green Mansions, which looks stupendously bad. She (improbably) plays a South American Indian 'bird girl'/forest nymph. I don't think it's ever been released on DVD. Has anyone seen it?

I think I may have seen it when I was a kid. Having read the plot summary on Wiki it sounds familiar. I liked it ack then.

Is Bright similar in concept to Alien Nation?

Bright was much better than I expected - a much grittier Alien Nation is not a bad description.

I was expecting it to be fairly light-hearted, but it really isn't. Pretty clumsy analogies, and the plot is derivative in places, but it's well-shot and well-acted, has some great action scenes, and some genuinely funny moments.

Just don't watch it if you're bothered by hyperviolence and lots (and lots and lots) of swearing MF.

Until anything's proven, the only predators worth mentioning are the predators who wrote that article that have realised that if you write the word 'predator' often enough then people might be even more convinced that he's a predator if you use the description predator a lot in your article if you're speculating and/or hoping to convince people reading that he's a predator .. say the word PREDATOR often enough and it sticks ..

That's not a dig at you or your post BTW GNC but I think most people are getting weary of this melodrama that's just that until it's proven ... I mean:

Writer Lindsey Romain also tweeted saying “Lax Mandis” – an obvious codename for Landis – is a “ritual sex abuser” and that “evidence of his predatory behavior” can easily be found.

A "ritual sex abuser" ? .. does he wear animal furs as part of this 'ritual' and drink goats blood or something ? ..

I know what you mean, and without knowing the guy it's difficult to tell, though the accusers do know him. I just know his shouty, borderline psychotic Trailers from Hell videos and lambasting of Rey in Star Wars as a Mary Sue (then proceeding to write American Ultra, where a loser stoner nerd suddenly finds he has amazing fighting skills and gets a movie star girlfriend and kills a bunch of people because he's suddenly really important, so how is that not a male Mary Sue, then?) make him redolent of that phrase "toxic masculinity".

Apparently he trawls the net looking for people to attack online too, so maybe he will show up to defend himself. Chronicle is looking more and more like a fluke.

Bright was much better than I expected - a much grittier Alien Nation is not a bad description.

I was expecting it to be fairly light-hearted, but it really isn't. Pretty clumsy analogies, and the plot is derivative in places, but it's well-shot and well-acted, has some great action scenes, and some genuinely funny moments.

Just don't watch it if you're bothered by hyperviolence and lots (and lots and lots) of swearing MF.

Pretty much what I thought.

Night Of The Lupas type giant turtles Russian terror .. needs more William Shatner or Doug McClure

Chronicle is looking more and more like a fluke.

Slightly off-topic, but I have to say I've really enjoyed his take on Dirk Gently (unfortunately, now cancelled after two series). So, I'd make it two flukes.

Back