• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Beards & Moustaches

I know a fellow who grew a moustache in order to hide an injury. About twenty-five years ago he was involved in a bad road accident and spent several months in rehabilitation. Fortunately, he made a full recovery but one lingering effect of the accident is his inability to move the muscles surrounding his upper lip. He felt self-conscious about this paralysis so he grew a moustache to cover it up. I first met him several years after the accident and he told me about it just last year. I never would have guessed that anything was amiss. He has slight scarring on one cheek but I had assumed that was a birth mark.

Bearded anarchists and sewerage workers may benefit from this rather-clever DIY mask adaptation seen occasionally at the barricades.
FKEA455GUKARYW0.RECT2100.jpg

It is simply a cunningly-bisected fizzy drinks bottle, with foam draught-excluder tape fitted as a seal around the sharp edge. The key cleverness of it is that the cheap oval gauze filters, instead of just (semi) protecting the mouth and nose against dust and (limited) smoke, also does a similar job for the eyes and face. This would need a lot more filtering for gas protection (eg charcoal or compressed paper)

I'm not saying this specific design is genuinely-good for beard-dwellers, just that it is at least accidently semi-commodius for hirsutes (perforce, their beards would assist in performing a helpful dust filter mask function, methinks)

Bearded anarchists
Does the world have bearded anarchists? Stubbled, perhaps. But perhaps not bearded. Beards are communist facial-wear. And many/most religious extremolytes are face-fuzzers.

And my instinct is to say that fascists are 'tashists, never beard-believers.

This requres a whiteboard, multicoloured marker pens, numerous venn diagrams, and two meerschaum pipes filled each with an ounce of medium virginia shag...

@rynner2 as you're probably aware, a variation of this rule applies in the Royal Navy /RNR/RFA.

Sailors may, of course, wear a full beard (via a formal request and subsequent approval). However, on full operational Transition To War (and certainly long before Action Stations is piped/called) they MUST agree to shave-off their beards.

This is to ensure respirators (usually made by Avon Rubber) fit correctly, and are truly gas-tight. This applies to both wartime CBRN/NBC masks and also for deck/quarters fire parties BA masks etc. Officers and sea-men qualified as SCUBA divers can only wear a beard when employed on other duties. Whenever diving, they must also (logically) be shaved.
I realise I hereby prove Godwin right yet again, but I remember reading somewhere that Hitler's distinctive moustache was a deliberate affectation to remind people he had seen active service in WW1: apparently, it was recognised as the only style of moustache that would allow for an effective seal from the German gas masks of the time.

Is there any truth in this?

I realise I hereby prove Godwin right yet again, but I remember reading somewhere that Hitler's distinctive moustache was a deliberate affectation to remind people he had seen active service in WW1: apparently, it was recognised as the only style of moustache that would allow for an effective seal from the German gas masks of the time.

Or he could have admired Charlie Chaplin's style and copied it...?

What a fascinating suggestion. But I'm 90% sure it's untrue. The Gummimaske-15 and later Imperial German designs would not have been thwarted by a full-lip moustache. See this link.

But here's my 10% uncertainty.

Just suppose (accepting the inherent incompatibility between full beards and gas-masks) that it were a possibility the German High Command of the Second Reich ordered that the largest amount of facial hair permitted on the basic foot-soldiers of the Kaiser were just a Hitlerite moustache, for this reason? And consequently, Hitler continued to obey the 'dress regulation', as a badge of post-war pride?

Like post-Vietnam jar-head Marine haircuts, being a tribal marker long after that war had ended?

This Hitler 'tashe hypothesis would require evidence (ideally) of such a Dress Order having been issued by the Deutsches Kaiserreich Uberkommandant.

Or supportive photographs of other Hitleroid Heer hairy heros sporting similar mousers...

Deutsche Soldaten im 1898 (what, full moustaches, and drinking beer? Most unusual...):
640px-1898ZabernDeutschesHeerWehrpflichtige.jpg

Hmm....he appears to have worn a very-unHitlerlike moustache during WW1...if (as claimed) this actually is a picture of him in both WW1 and 1930s/WW2
images

I'm doubtful. But I could see myself being dragged-down all sorts of rabbit-holes, with just a tiny amount of digging (I'm seeing lots of anomalies in some of these purported 'Hitler' WW1 pictures....)

Anyway: it's looking like my 10% 'tash hypothicity has muchly-eroded. What say ye @Krepostnoi ? Дело отклонено ?

What a fascinating suggestion. But I'm 90% sure it's untrue. The Gummimaske-15 and later Imperial German designs would not have been thwarted by a full-lip moustache. See this link.

But here's my 10% uncertainty.

Just suppose (accepting the inherent incompatibility between full beards and gas-masks) that it were a possibility the German High Command of the Second Reich ordered that the largest amount of facial hair permitted on the basic foot-soldiers of the Kaiser were just a Hitlerite moustache, for this reason? And consequently, Hitler continued to obey the 'dress regulation', as a badge of post-war pride?

Like post-Vietnam jar-head Marine haircuts, being a tribal marker long after that war had ended?

This Hitler 'tashe hypothesis would require evidence (ideally) of such a Dress Order having been issued by the Deutsches Kaiserreich Uberkommandant.

Or supportive photographs of other Hitleroid Heer hairy heros sporting similar mousers...

Deutsche Soldaten im 1898 (what, full moustaches, and drinking beer? Most unusual...):
640px-1898ZabernDeutschesHeerWehrpflichtige.jpg

Hmm....he appears to have worn a very-unHitlerlike moustache during WW1...if (as claimed) this actually is a picture of him in both WW1 and 1930s/WW2
images

I'm doubtful. But I could see myself being dragged-down all sorts of rabbit-holes, with just a tiny amount of digging (I'm seeing lots of anomalies in some of these purported 'Hitler' WW1 pictures....)

Anyway: it's looking like my 10% 'tash hypothicity has muchly-eroded. What say ye @Krepostnoi ? Дело отклонено ?
Очень убедительно, Товарищ Эрминтруд: even if the purported photo of Hitler during WW1 is not actually him, presumably that fairly luxuriant growth on Notler's top lip is by itself proof that the toothbrush moustache was not the only permitted style (assuming at least the date is right).

As a history undergraduate, I used to have free access to the Times online. I remember reading one interesting article from September 1914 to the effect of 'the barbers of London are reporting increased business due to gentlemen wishing to have their Kaiser style moustaches removed'. My tutor was quite chuffed at this revelation, and included it in his book on the home front in the First World War.

Did I get a mention in the book for finding it? Did I buggery!

Just larking about.

I know, its just that you said take a room instead of get one, i wasnt dissing ya ;)

I know, its just that you said take a room instead of get one, i wasnt dissing ya ;)
I blame Google Translate for that. I said 'Get a room, you two!'.

Разве
Nyet....

Anyway, all this talk in Russian of Russia (well, Romanov & Saxe-Coburg 'tashes) requires a compulsory Rasputin picture...
images

Rasputin always strikes me as possessing the most unruly facial hair ever. Even worse than a Tolkein archetype...

Nyet....

Anyway, all this talk in Russian of Russia (well, Romanov & Saxe-Coburg 'tashes) requires a compulsory Rasputin picture...
images

Rasputin always strikes me as possessing the most unruly facial hair ever. Even worse than a Tolkein archetype...
I walked past his house the other day. It is now a beauty salon. I cannot decide whether that is the cosmic joker in full flow or in dreadful remorse.

streetview

Is it just me or does Rasputin look a little like Putin???

Ewok in futuristic pirate costume?

i9kjuzw0e9111.jpg

Back