• We have updated the guidelines regarding posting political content: please see the stickied thread on Website Issues.

Oh, The Irony

1/ Today the Southern District of New York indicted Steve Bannon and three others for conspiring to commit wire fraud and for conspiring to commit money laundering in connection with the crowdraising campaign to build a border wall. Indictment link: https://t.co/VnvTHtcGwA

Note: For me this feels out if character. Bannon is a weird rightist but I had a soft spot for him because some of his analyses are correct. He never felt like a greedy type.

Last edited:
On the one hand, I’m tempted to report it as political. On the other hand, it’s from the Grimsby Telegraph and you have to wonder about their resources in reporting current affairs accurately.
But yes, it’s political.

Feel free to remove them if they're too political.
But I see irony in any person of power and influence being exposed as a crook. Doesn't matter which side they're on.

Feel free to remove them if they're too political.
But I see irony in any person of power and influence being exposed as a crook. Doesn't matter which side they're on.

Do they accord with this definition:

irony noun

a situation in which something which was intended to have a particular result has the opposite or a very different result

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/irony

None of your recent posts, IMHO, pass this simple test.

maximus otter

The blackmailer was elected as a councillor following a campaign to reduce crime so there is a bit of irony, albeit there was a sizeable gap between his election and the blackmail.

A recent bunfeast by the Dáil Golfing Society was in breach of restrictions and has resulted in the resignations of the Agriculture Minister, the Deputy-Speaker of the Senate and whip withdrawal for other politicians. It may yet bring down a EU Commissioner and a Supreme Court Judge..

The real irony though is regarding one of the officials in attendance.

The civil servant with responsibility for health and safety in the Oireachtas was present at a golf outing that flouted Covid19 guidelines.

John Flaherty, the Captain of the Guard in Leinster House, has responsibility for the day-to-day management of the staff in the Oireachtas.

Mr Flaherty has been given new responsibilities this year for ensuring compliance to Covid19 restrictions around the parliament building.

Mr Flaherty was one of 81 guests who were present at the Station House Hotel function on Wednesday night for the Oireachtas Golf Society anniversary. The event has been the centre of a government scandal after it emerged that high-level Ministers, and civil servants, including Flaherty, attended the dinner and prize-giving, just one day after the government guidelines banned such private functions.

When contacted by the Irish Examiner about his presence at the event, Mr Flaherty replied that he did "not want to comment, but I was a resident in the hotel".

One staff member of the Oireachtas said that Mr Flaherty's presence at the event was "very serious". ...

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40036034.html

Garda investigation of golf dinner will focus on numbers attending and working at event
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40035890.html

#Golfgate: 'Under fire' politicians make international headlines
https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40035893.html

Not quite up there with the Diane Abbot irony though!

https://forums.forteana.org/index.php?threads/oh-the-irony.10794/post-1921841

Further to the 11 charges of assault and indecent exposure, I now see her son is involved in crystal meth.

Heaven knows what might have happened if he'd got in with the "wrong crowd" at a state school!

I see the irony regarding the schools, but it should be stated that her son clearly has severe mental health issues, which would likely have resulted in his disorderly life regardless of where he was educated.

Another of these:

Man who believed virus was hoax loses wife to Covid-19

Brian said he and his wife didn't have one firm belief about Covid-19. Instead, they switched between thinking the virus was a hoax, linked to 5G technology, or a real, but mild ailment. They came across these theories on Facebook.

"We thought the government was using it to distract us," Brian explained, "or it was to do with 5G."

He recovered, his wife, an asthma sufferer, didn't.

Man Utd captain Harry Maguire found guilty of assault, bodily harm, insult against a public employee and attempted bribery in Greece.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53903703

Just listened to the account on SKY News. as reported by a Greek prosecutor.
Maquire's defence was apparently that he didn't know the people were police officers.

...That is despite the incident occurring outside a police station, the police officers showing their ID and Maguire being on record as shouting at them "Fuck the police"!

That's what the Greek Police say. I reckon they're Man City fans.

Arf!

Well I'm no fan of either of the Manchesters and was surprised to hear that Maguire has got off with a suspended sentence.

I bet if a working class Greek guy, who isn't obscenely rich, had been convicted of assaulting, insulting and bribing policemen, he wouldn't have been set free like this.
Classic example of another law for the rich!

I see the irony regarding the schools, but it should be stated that her son clearly has severe mental health issues, which would likely have resulted in his disorderly life regardless of where he was educated.

Someone destroying their life through drug-induced psychosis is indeed not a subject for levity.
That isn't where the irony lies in this case though.
Ms Abbott's hypocrisy was in publicly criticising private education and lambasting those parents who send their children to private schools, whilst she did exactly that, as she feared her son would "fall in with the wrong crowd" at a state school.
Who knows whether her son may have turned out to be less dysfunctional had he mixed with normal kids at a state school, rather than wealthy, posh kids?

Whilst I support parents' right to choose what school to send their kids to, I disagree strongly with the assumption that private schools are somehow more decent and trustworthy than state schools.

Last edited:
...I bet if a working class Greek guy, who isn't obscenely rich, had been convicted of assaulting, insulting and bribing policemen, he wouldn't have been set free like this.
Classic example of another law for the rich!

If it's a sign of undue influence that a defendant is given no more than four days to prepare a defence for trial, one can only assume that the locals are tried and convicted before they've actually been arrested.

Edit: Maguire was tried in a misdemeanours court - from what I can see of the Greek legal system, process to an appeals court is more or less a given (given the incredible speed of the initial process, not really surprising). The opaqueness of the system in Greece and the very short period involved in this initial stage means that virtually all our knowledge of the incident comes from media reports and the findings of a court which knows that its decision will automatically be questioned. To be honest, I doubt we'll really know anything much about this case with any kind of confidence until that secondary appeals process takes place.

Last edited:
Screenshot_20200827-214719_Twitter.jpg

Police: Drunk Driver Crashed His Car Into "Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over" Sign

Meet Bounty Cheramy.

The 22-year-old Florida resident was arrested for drunk driving early Sunday after allegedly slamming his Mazda into an electronic sign cautioning motorists to “Drive Sober or Get Pulled Over.”

According to a probable cause affidavit, cops found Cheramy outside his car around 12:30 AM on the Tamiami Trail in Port Charlotte on the state’s Gulf Coast. Cheramy’s auto had sustained “heavy front-end damage,” reported a deputy who also noted that “the county sign board trailer had been struck.”

Cheramy told police that he was talking on the phone when he “suddenly struck something,” but was unsure “what he had struck or how he hit it.” ...

Cheramy smelled of alcohol, was swaying back and forth, and could not focus on questions posed by a deputy, the affidavit alleges. Cheramy, who performed poorly on a series of field sobriety tests, took two breath tests, both of which recorded his blood alcohol content at twice the .08 legal limit.

Cheramy was charged with a pair of DUI counts and careless driving. ...

FULL STORY (With Photo Of Wrecked Sign):
http://www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/drunk-driving/dui-sign-caper-195063

Couldn't happen to a nicer guy.

Church Leader Who Blamed Coronavirus on Gay Marriage Contracts COVID-19

A leading church figure in Ukraine who previously described the coronavirus outbreak as "God's punishment" against gay marriage has contracted COVID-19.

Patriarch Filaret, leader of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kyiv Patriarchate, is in a stable condition in hospital after it was announced on September 4 that he had contracted the virus.

"We inform you that His Holiness Patriarch Filaret of Kyiv and All Rus-Ukraine tested positive for COVID-19 during planned testing," the Ukrainian Orthodox Church of Kyiv Patriarchate said in a statement. ...

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/worl...n-gay-marriage-contracts-covid-19/ar-BB18ORMJ

Sometimes these food challenges live up to their names.
I found an online instructions thing about 15 years that were a tutorial (with photos) on how to build a beast called 'The Colossawich':

An entire loaf of bread sliced horizontally into three levels
Lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, cheese etc
.. at least 30 rashers of bacon
.. 8 quarter pounders

.... and more stuff I can't even remember. I think it might have come from a site called thisiswhyourfat.com.

I knew I'd never eat a whole one so halved all of the ingredients (loaf sliced down the middle vertically but still in three Big Mac style levels) and I still didn't manage to finish all of it. The site only seems to exist on Facebook and Twitter nowadays ..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pi...re-Fat-where-dreams-become-heart-attacks.html

I found an online instructions thing about 15 years that were a tutorial (with photos) on how to build a beast called 'The Colossawich':

An entire loaf of bread sliced horizontally into three levels
Lettuce, tomatoes, mayo, cheese etc
.. at least 30 rashers of bacon
.. 8 quarter pounders

.... and more stuff I can't even remember. I think it might have come from a site called thisiswhyourfat.com.

I knew I'd never eat a whole one so halved all of the ingredients (loaf sliced down the middle vertically but still in three Big Mac style levels) and I still didn't manage to finish all of it. The site only seems to exist on Facebook and Twitter nowadays ..

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/pi...re-Fat-where-dreams-become-heart-attacks.html

Urgh lettuce :dsist:

Back